February 24th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 2/24/09

What do you think of Pres. Obama's address to the joint session of Congress? This is where you can share your thoughts on the speech and the GOP rebuttal by Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal. Just scroll down and post your comments to "chat" with Anderson and Erica during the program.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
soundoff (1,642 Responses)
  1. Ernie

Speech very good. Ideas very good, but too many rich people going to have to give up money. In reality the rich run this country. The rich doctors and lawyers. Very sad.

2. kai

I am in high school, a resident of Louisiana, and I can say that since Bobby Jindal has become Govenor, he has done nothing to support the Govenor's Program on Abstinence. We haven't had one convention since he's become Gov. That is a really important program to a lot of people.

3. cynthia

I think the pres. did a good job. however i am in detroit and can't see the local banks helping those of us who did our best to live within our means but are faced with months of unemployment and not engouh new jobs.

As far as Gov. Bobby his comments are ridiculous he talks about americans creating new jobs but he only talked about tax cuts for people who are in business, no help for those who are new business owners who need start up capital.

4. Harold

I admire the President's resolve, but I fear he may be trying to tackle too many problems at once. Such a strategy may sound great, but its effectiveness is questionable.

Also, this speech was not one of his best. I think President Obama needs to move away from constantly repeating "education, healthcare, green energy" in every address he gives.

5. Kirk in Michigan

Right, Gov. Jindal, heaven forbid we see $4/gallon gas ever again. Does he even realize that cap-and-trade is *supposed* to make fossil fuels more expensive? Where will his kind of thinking get us when gas is $8/gallon? We can't wish away peak oil, so let's get real.

6. Cindy

I feel so moved by his speech, hopeful – because I believe in the American spirit that he talks of. As a teacher, I love the line about not dropping out because you owe it not only to yourself but to your country...to be the best you can be.

7. Allyson

As a college student myself, I'm excited about his plans to further education in the US, even if it's only one year after high school. As American citizens, we have a duty to better our country and a higher education for all will go along way.

8. Mike

Your ONLY saviour is if all your Senators come together as one Government. Then behold, things will happen like you have never seen before. Now there is a big challenge.

9. bob

Great speech and exactly what was expected of our President. I wish he would've addressed his plans for the banking system and how we will get them to start lending again. While I have hope and belief in his sincerity, my confidence still waivers on whether a strong and viable plan exists for the banks.

10. Dipak, NJ

The GOP rebuttal just further highlighted the republicans severe short-sightedness, for me. The very reason the current administration is stepping in, is because we the people do not have the ways or means to get this country back on track.
    Let's get back on an even keel, and then we'll happily take America by the reigns.

11. Jon

I live in Louisiana and Jindel can't speak about corruption, education, or recieving federal funds for Katrina. It looks like he just lost the 2012 nomination.

12. Jenice, Texas

Governor Jindel is not stating the facts about Louisiana. The healthcare system is in a crisis there. I lived in New Orleans and was a State Employee. Louisiana is in desperate need of roads, bridges, and street repair. As far as energy goes the people of New Orleans are paying extra every month for electricity in case there is another disaster. That is not a solution when people are losing jobs. I cannot believe that he is more concern about his party than the people of Louisiana.

13. mervis jennette

yes, i am very confident in what the president

14. Eric

Obama's speech was fantastic!! He was articulate, honest, thoughtful, yet realistic. I feel like he knows how to communicate, which is a big change from our last Commander in Chief.

As far as Gov. Jindal goes.......little to MR. Rodgers....not very presidential and from what I hear he is the next big thing in the republican party.

15. Ariel Olivencia

This is the first President to ever appeal to the lower class, under-educated population with a challenge to become more educated; a truly honorable feat.

16. James

I heard a very inspiring speech by a confident man.

The problem however is so daunting and the empirical evidence so lacking to validate his claim that if we do nothing we all will be worse off in the end, that it's really a well marketed 50/50 crap shoot, nothing more.

17. Patty from Pennsylvania

I don't think I've seen my 84 year old dad smile so much!!!!!!! He said God bless Obama...trust him to lead the way

18. michael stanley

great speech

19. Elliot

President Obama has brought hope to the American people, but political hopefuls like Bobby Jindal will do all they can to undermine him. Jindal especially proved that in his "more a campaign speech than a response" that he is already looking to run against President Obama in 2012.

20. Donna Adams

I trust the President. I think the Republicans do not want him to succeed and they will sacrifice the country to make him do poorly.

21. horace

I'm so tired of these republican can't get aboard and get this great nation of ours going. Bobby Jindal did this for his political career. Still didn't under stand Bobby .

22. Wes Lyons - Arab, AL

Gov Jindal's speech that basically tried to put everything on a third grade level instead of telling us how the Republicans are going to try to work to a common goal of fixing the mess they created.

23. P. Sokolowski

I'm hopeful, after this speech.

24. Bill

Gov. Jindall,

It's to early to be campaining and if you want to be president you need to drop the Mr. Roger imitation

25. Mary

Why are Republicans against healthcare reform? Is it because health insurance companies will have to be fair to their trapped insurers and be more competitive?

26. richard Collins

my real concern is how all of this spending is going to be repaid, tax cuts and more expenses, what is the matter with this picture?

27. gino

I appreciate his confidence on the forum, yet there are the details to pay attention to. And did anyone else notice his wince of a handshake to secretary o'state and fellow dem, from "a legacy in itself", Clinton. Will this set the bipartisan tone for the next two presidents in Obama and possibly La. Republican Governor Jindal?

28. Chris N

Someone please tell me when the rhetoric will end and concrete details will begin. I voted for Obama but I'm losing confidence that he and his team can deliver more than inspiring words.

29. Doug R.

Jindals' speech was horrible. I felt like he was reading a story book to me as if I was a child! As a republican I think he is on the right track but he needs to understand what age he is speaking too.

30. Lola

President Obama did an awesome job. I don't understand how anyone can not find the hope and sincerity this man has. As for the republican response, the man should of listened to what was said instead of going over his speech. He made no sense.

31. Maureen

Thank goodness for a confident leader. It makes me realize just how awful the past 8 years have been. I really do feel that Obama can get us out of this quagmire we're in.

32. J.D.

Gov. Jindal's rebutal seemed a little awkward. His voice inflections were way off in the beginning and it distracted from his points. He spoke as if every republican governor was behind him, but what about Florida and California?? I would like to see less political posturing and more serving the people!

33. Sandra from Canada

President Obama was amazing, once again. He is going to transform America in the next eight years, and all this will one day be a distant bad memory. Jindal, bring it on in four years! You don't hold a candle to Obama!!

34. Harry de Ruiter

Can you guys give the man a break. Every other human has a three month probation period and we are all breathing down his neck from day one.
    Give the man some room to prove himself......

35. Jesse

I found the speech very inspiring, and I think that is the main purpose, to inspire confidence in the people. Instilling trust is key for any president, and he has done that.

36. Cory

The President's speech was inspirational, the response by Gov. Jindal made me feel like I was watching an educational program for children. Get real!!!

37. Cynthia M. Atlanta, GA

How much money has Louisiana received from the Government for rebuilding after Katrina. How stupid does Jindel think the American people are.

Jindel seems totally insincere and uninformed.

38. Megan

It seems to me that Jindal was already working on his stump speech.

39. Damion Bryant

I thought the Presidents speech was both inspiring and hopeful. I am very excited to seeing what this administration is able to accomplish.

40. Shelly Tackett

Wow!! I experienced senations strangley odd and uncommon for any one watching a political telecast.. Among cheering and clapping;
    I had "goosebumps!!" Now don't call me crazy, call me hopefull!

Impressed,
    Shelly Tackett

41. Mark

We people understand the trouble we are in, congress needs to understand it and quit being so concerned who has the advantage over whom and work together and quit being so stubborn whos side you are on.

42. Ben

The cure for an impending depression is hope. Our president brought it for us tonight. We are getting what we voted for.

43. xtina, chicago IL

If you want health care, get a JOB! If your job doesn't have health care, get a better job!

44. Lisa

I have always been a supporter of Obama because he is for the people. However; I have always felt that the situation he was handed is a pretty bad one. That said, I have been impressed with the way that he has handled things and the decisions that he has made. Tonight's speech only made me love him even more.

45. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Annie Smith, Because Jindal was chosen to give the Republican response and is probably going to run for the presidency in 2012.

46. jean

he is using president obama' exact words only to edify the
    republicans. he needs his own platform.

47. Garry Moore

The President did exactly what he had to do..he was forceful and candid, but also positive and optimistic. I felt he presented the welcome change we have been longing for for 8 years. And Gov. Jindal....well, if that is the best they can do, their rising star....need I say more?

48. victoria weaver

Mr. President has trown down the gauntlet.

49. Lori from IL

Don't think Jindal should have brought up Katrina - Was watching HBO's rerun of their documentary "When the Levees Broke."

Happy Fat Tuesday everyone!

50. Dina

This indeed was a good/interesting speech but it was a lot of the same stuff he's been saying. I also felt that he was forced to say what the media and others were pressuring him to say which was "how we are going to get through these tough times"

Still no details