February 24th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 2/24/09

What do you think of Pres. Obama's address to the joint session of Congress? This is where you can share your thoughts on the speech and the GOP rebuttal by Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal. Just scroll down and post your comments to "chat" with Anderson and Erica during the program.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
soundoff (1,642 Responses)
  1. Mxwll

I think the most poignant comment made by President Obama was that we need to live up to our values as Americans. Core values are so much more powerful than political motivation. These are moments when it is easy to be a proud American! GBA

February 24, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  2. jeff

The President is incredible he actually makes you feel he is talking to you with sincerity. it drives me cray to see republicans sitting in their chairs being sceptical, we are in a time where we need to come together, republicans need to come to the party and at least show support. what is to say the republicans side is the right side?

February 24, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  3. Chris

I had a lot of confidence in Obama during the election – but with the markets still tanking, is he handling the economic fallout properly? I wonder.

February 24, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  4. Lawrence

It appears as if republicans are attempting to attract people of color, and it appears to be so see through, so phony, to the point that you are not able to naturally have an opinion of an individual. Gov. Jindal, was wrong to outline katrina as he did.

February 24, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  5. Ryan

I was very inspired by President Obama's speech. I found Jindal's speech less than impressive. Republican leaders have had their chance and did not represent the worker and fiscal conservatism. To say they will stand up for fiscal discipline now is to late. Support change!!!

February 24, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  6. Stephen

It is neccessary for the U.S. government to step up and help the American people and they cant do it without funding. I agree with Pres. Obama's address

February 24, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  7. David

Why not go big, ask for the world , if the President only acomplishes a third of what he is calling for from the country, the congress and himself, he will still be a success.

February 24, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  8. Sadanie, SC

President Obama is a winner, and he believes in all of us being winners!
    Jindal sounded as if he was reciting a fairy tale to a kinder garden class! And sooo many personal details that do not have anything to do with this recession and our future! Is this the best the Republican party can do???

February 24, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  9. Anthony R - Alberta, Canada

Bobby Jindal's comments seem to be disjointed with a sense of non-connectivity to the the solutions for the pressing issues .

February 24, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  10. Jean-Pierre

The speech was a hopeful and wishful plea to investors and Americans alike. His goal however, was not to cite specific plans (tho he clearly did)-it was to restore confidence in the American people. Now we'll just have to see how the stock market reacts

February 24, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  11. Matthew G. Myers

That rebuttal was laughable, after Obama's inspiring speech, "Bobby" Jindal seemed like an amature.

12. Rick

I loved Obama's speech. I appreciated the rebuttal. The ideological divide between our two parties, for me tonight, was set in stone. Whatever party you hold dear, I was proud to be an American tonight.

13. Kyrian

Obama's speech - Masterful! And I am a Republican

14. Lex Nesta

I thought Obama's speech was inspiriing. It made me feel proud that he is our President. He remindes me a of a favorite sports figure that people would look up to.

The Yankees have Jeter, but the United States has Obama!

15. Marzetta

Correct me if I am mistaken, are we still on the campaign trail? Is there another precedence for a party other than the GOP giving a rebuttal addressed to America following the president's address? It is obvious that Capital Hill is divided, Gov. Jindal made it clear tonight. Can we put away the politics and save these discords for 2012. I am sure I am not the only one who feels this way.

16. Ralph

Rhetoric without the actions behind them, is just rhetoric. I won't believe it until I see it.

17. Gene O'Sullivan

President Obama is great and he will pull us out of this mess. It is also a real pleasure to have a president that can give a speech without messing it up. God bless his efforts.

18. Gary

I cannot believe that Jindal got on Live coverage and continued the political warfare that drives this country further into the ground. Mr. Jindal, WAKE UP. We, AMERICANS, do not want to see the divison any longer. We need a bipartisan government, stop using every aspect you can to give a campaign speech. We need to unite, not divide.

19. bambi

Totally and irrevocably HOPEFUL!!!!! But,you guys really need to get Bobby Jindal his own infomercial,at about 3 am!!!!! what a waste of air time.

20. Debra Long

I was very impressed and proud of the president. Finally, someone who understand that we are our brothers keeper

21. puneet tx

great show Anderson, plz can u tell people especially republicans being optimistic is good .

22. jackie soto

President Obama talked about 7 points we need to focus on such as health care, education, medicare now is he going to be asking for another 700 billion to fix these issues. We need to work on what is most important and he is jumping all over the page and wants to please everyone.

23. jean

@ kim,

Did you read how they want to reform the healthcare? They want the government to be able to say if someone should get treatment or turned away and the best part we will still need to pay our healthcare bills,lmao. Here is a thought why don't you read the stimulus package before you comment.

24. Kelly

No one likes debt. But worrying about unloading debt on our children seems silly when many aren't able to feed their children today. We need to deal with the future but not at the expense of right now. What Obama said makes sense. I didn't get a lot out of Jindal's.

25. leslie

Jindal hurt his cause more than help...I agreed with everything the president said. My eyes even watered! I feel like I watched Bill Clinton tonight....

26. Loren Long

The central point of the message was honest, realistic ambition. But, more importantly he spoke to the American people as partners... not victims or bystanders.

27. Robin, Tampa

Obama is a hard act to follow ... I regret watching Jindal's response it was very flat and uninspiring 😦

28. Veronica

Mr Jindal wasted my time by not addressing the issues. I was looking for a response to the issues mentioned by Mr Obama. If that is the republican rebuttal, it soundewd more like a campaign speech.

29. Bea

Thank you for your service Matt Glazewski.

30. Richard

Bobby Jindal sounds like he's talking to kindergartners.

31. Eddie

It is amazing how one part of congress and some americans want to continue with the same policies that put us on a hole and now want accountability. They act like all of this was caused by the dems when they were in control.

32. Regina Brown

Great Job! Our country is now going in the right direction. 100% Support for President Obama.

33. Henry

I personally thought the first half of Gov Jindal's rebuttal was condensending. The Republicans ran this counrty for eight years and ran it into the ground.

34. Carmella

Republican speech, it was like he was a bad actor. I did not get it. He should have been more of himself.

35. Pamela

Well done – ambitious, but then he's never pretended to be anything but. I appreciate the honesty, candid dialogue and the realness of it all. He gets it in ways that are relevant to our times. Even though I am unemployed and facing foreclosure, I actually believe and hope for better times ahead. Times, they have changed and look forward to more changes.

36. Mueed

president obama spoke very eloquently and after that jindel's "speech" sounded like an infomercial that is trying to sell you a product that is clearly bad and defective.

37. Fatimah B. NYC

As a student in college paying for her own tuition, this speech gave me a better understanding as to what our President plans to do to help families who are incapable of affording school. I loved it ! Especially the round of applause that erupted throughout his speech by supporters. I felt like it was a happy event.

38. KC

Why is it that most republicans fail to understand that if we provide health care for all americans, make universities more accessible, down the road more Americans will start producing more, making more money which will result in more money in their Republican pockets!

39. Carla S

The question I would like to ask Gov. JIndal, and all the other republicans, is if the government doesn't help people who can't afford food, or a place to live, or health care, who will?

40. Gary Steverson

Inspired, proud, emotional and amazed

41. Bebe from New York

What the president has outlined is for the benefit of all Americans especially those who have lost their jobs and homes since the crisis hit Main Street and not just for Democrats. This crisis should be the cornerstone for Republicans and Democrats to work together to get us back on the global stage as a leading power. As President said America 'invented' the automobile we should not sit idly by and watch the demise of this part of our contribution to the auto industry.

42. Lou Walsh

I am a Michigander wihich has an over 10% unemployment rate. My neighbor has a use for my pickup truck and he is able to make money so I am letting him use it for free, that is what neighbors and communities should do.

43. sidney

Jindal highjacked the tax cuts for 95% of americans. Also there schools are failing, least educated in america.

44. Matt

President Obama talks so much, and yet he says so little. He used an enormity of terms to talk about rebuilding the nation, yet he gave little specifics, save for the one or two doomed to failure policies that he has been trumpeting ever since he started his campaign, such as raising the taxes on the wealthy. Furthermore, he has passed the single largest spending bill in the history of our nation, and yet the average American has seen nothing from it. Unemployment rates are higher than ever.

45. Keith - BC, Canada

Its a shame that Gov Jindal has to oppose Obama on National television. It seems like a publicity stunt for the upcoming election to me. Let Obama lead the nation, afterall he is picking up after a Republicans mess. People from all around the world need some sort of hope in order to get our markets stable again.

46. Don

Tired of the doom and gloom- Government is not the answer- Let us spend our own money.

47. Barbara

What will the Gov. of SC who refuses the stimulus money now say to the student from Dillon, S. C.? The girl wants an education.

48. Joshuah Galvan

President Barack Obama has restored the faith that was shattered by former President George W. Bush. Americans look to the future with hope that has not been guarenteed in this manner since the Declaration of Independence.

49. Luis SII

was the gop response the worst speech ever! tthank god for obama

50. Brenda Aguero

well that was a great speach....can he do it...with our help he can sure