February 24th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 2/24/09

What do you think of Pres. Obama's address to the joint session of Congress? This is where you can share your thoughts on the speech and the GOP rebuttal by Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal. Just scroll down and post your comments to "chat" with Anderson and Erica during the program.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
soundoff (1,642 Responses)
  1. Troy

I'm in the Air Force Reserves and I believe that my Commander and Chief now can make the difference that my predessessor couldn't do.

2. Todd

Obama: Best speech since the DNC!

3. sam

Best president ever, caring, loving the poor Amerian. President for the people and by the people stay with same message

4. Shawn

Obama did a great job addressing the congress / nation. Brought a lot of hope & positive energy to people. Then you have Gov. Bobby Jindal letting all the air out of his balloon. Very frustrating!!!!!

5. Mark Caulk

the republicans response to president obama sounded prerecoreded and lame....if Bobby Jindal is all they have to combat the superstar qualities of pres. obama......its pathetic....he sounded like he was speaking to a class of first graders.

6. Bev McCormick

What was Jindal even talking about? If this is the Republicans "rising star" – well, that is scary.

7. Samir

Obama presented only positive views of his mostly liberal plan. He should have viewed his plan from multiple views in order to redeem bipartisan support. However, when Obama received bipartisan applause, I believe it confirmed his "job well done."

8. Stella

I am very hopeful. The speech did not contain specifics but it was delivered with strength and conviction. Stirring stuff that the nation needs. These things need to be done and the economic crisis is the Katrina of the nation. I think that with strong leadership we can streamline and reduce costs so we can do what Obama says.

9. Thomas W

The Republican party is becoming really predictable. Strange how there seems to be so many people of color in the forefront of their party now. Do they think that the American people are stupid? Are they really trying to sell themselves as an inclusive party now?

The Republican rebutal was extremely sad, was not heartfelt at all!

10. Kaleb, Minneapolis, MN

I am glad that Bobby Jindal could inform me that I could do anything 14 times in a 5 minute speech. The GOP is only hurting themselves more by talking down on the American people like a bunch of 3rd graders.

Kaleb

11. Ike

Americans should be very proud to have President Obama. He laid out in clear details within a short time how he will take control of this ecomony. I am very disappoint with the republican's (Gov. Jindal) response. The failure in his state during Katrina is solely that of his party. I am not sure what he was saying,

12. Betty, Virginia

You done good President Obama.

Jindal seemed to be talking to 2 year olds (remember those educational movies from elementary school?). Wonder how he was chosen off the short list of non white angry old men... it certainly wasn't for his speaking ablity. As far as content, I loved the way he repeated a lot of what our President had said like it was a new idea.

I'll stick with the real President and not the President wanna be... yep, my days of being a republican are definately over.

13. Mark

I saw honesty in President Obama's speech, but I can not believe what Gov. Jindel said. He does not even use his real name. He does not sign legal documents with his legal first name. I wonder why. Obama at least uses his real name. What is Jindel hiding?

14. Oscar- North Carolina

The speech was great, and I liked the fact that Roland referenced Kanye West. Now if only Obama and Bobby Jindal would have had a freestyle battle instead, it would have been even better. Nothing is more stimulating than politicians spitting fire over some fresh beats- that's slang for reciting impressive lyrics over a cool musical backing track.

15. C Sylvan

Just makes you want to be a better American when you listen to Obama speak... Just wish that some Republicans could put aside their ambitions and just try to work together with this administration to help our country succeed.

16. Ashley H.

I think he inspires us to be better and gives us hope that this all will end. He connects with us and makes me feel better that he will get this economic crisis under control! So many people are scared and losing their jobs every day, but I think there is good things coming! 🙂

17. Andre Bond Ohio

Great Speech by President Obama.

If Bobby Jindal is who they want to represent the Republican ideas we have nothing to worry about! He was not clear and said nothing!

18. tina

Much of it sounded like speech during campaign. But with more encouragement.

19. Clarence, Albuquerque

Not fearful after the speech. I feel he tried to relieve fears.... at least his speech writers tried to do so....There were wonder full statements of where he stands.... He could have been more filled with conviction.

The presentational tone of Jindal tended to be more soothing, though I don't remember a single thing he said.

20. Jasmine-Spokane,WA

I'm still feeling the same way about Obama as I always have, he is flipping awesome! I do have some changes in views for the GOP. I think they are at least trying to accept, they just have a hard time showing their feelings...

21. Benjamin Branda, East Lansing, MI

The world was exposed to Bobby Jindal, and he shown bright as the colors of the mardi gras parade! Obama continued with a classic uplifting feeling that I am as all as a mountain and the American people can accomplish anything we want. Unfortunetly Jindal said small business and other individuals who happen to be rich. Im still with you Obama... just do something to wow the American people to keep your image fresh.

22. Pam Perry

Great posts. President is doing great considering the times.......

23. Bob Kraft

The President's speech was inspired...I feel that he has found the bull"s eye regarding critical issues - those that require America's financial commitments. I've never seen an American President act with such immediate decisiveness and frankness. DON'T STOP THESE EFFORTS. We will succeed.

24. Laura, OH

President Obama's speech was hopeful and reassuring. I do trust America will get back on track and the market will recover even faster than economists are predicting. Economists predictions have underestimated the power of inspiration.

Very disappointed in the Republican response. I was excited to see Jindal's speech, but the content was weak and seemed overly rehearsed.

25. Angel

I applaud our President. His speech brings hope and healing to
    America. I am hopeful.

26. Shawn

Is Bobby Jindal serious , he does not seem to be genuine , with his response like the republican party would do anything for votes .The president is doing a good job with the mess he was handed by the bush administration he addressed some key issues in his speech.

27. Mikey, CA

Bobb Jindal really irks me. Period.

28. Vera

Jindal sounded as though he was talking to a room of first graders....

29. Jon , GA

Obama did great tonight, Jindal's speech made me feel like it was story time in happy land. The Republicans need to find someone else to be their "rising star"

30. Candy K.

Obama gave an inspiring speech! Not since JFK have I seen and felt such great emotion, inspiration, and hope.
    Jindal speech just didn't even hold an unlit candle! If that is the best that Republicans can do, they are in for another defeat!

31. Lisa

Did Gov Jendal even listen to the Presidents speech? I am an independent but I just heard from him the same old Republican stuff that we heard in the election. The things he talked about that he said were Republican ideas were just what the President talked about in his speech.

32. Jayne

Just another campaign speech. Words. Just words.

33. Jacky K

The president spoke to as an american citizen. He gave me hope and I know we will be ok. A great speech.

Bobby Jindel did not make any sense he just seem very fake.

Jacky K

34. Sarah

The address was brilliant. President Obama effectively fed off the frustration and lack of hope among the American people and instilled a sense of hope within the chamber. He definitely shifted to a more optimistic outlook tonight. Did anyone else think Jindal sounded like one of those infomercials for weird knick knacks no one in their right mind would buy?

35. Chris

Gov Jindal is a prime example of why I left the RepublicanParty. He was flat, and showed no personality during his national debut. Whose speech was he rebutting? It sure wasn't President Obama's.

36. Richard in Louisiana

As a resident of Louisiana, I am a little confused as to why my Governor, Governor Jindal would invoke Hurricane Katrina response or a mythical Republican healthcare plan in his national debut. For the past 8 years, the Republican party didn't veto a spending bill or put forth any kind of healthcare reform legislation even when they controlled both houses of Congress. Americans can do anything. Hopefully that includes remembering the failed Republican policies of the past 8 years.

37. Linda Weaver

President Obama certainly outlined an ambitious agenda. Gov. Jindal's response was a joke. Is that the best the Republicans have to offer in the way of a response? It sounded more like a stump speech for the 2012 election than a rebuttal to Obama's speech. He exemplified everything we've come to despise in a politician.

38. Patrick Jolly

Leaders cast a vision; details are left to the rest of us. When JFK announced that we would put a man on the moon by the end of the decade, I'm certain some pundit somewhere was grumbling, "But where are the details..." Let the vision pull us together as a nation. We will create the details.

39. Katherine

Was Jindal serious? What's with Republicans when they open their mouths to try and speak? It's times like these that make me even more happy to be a Democrat.

40. mave

I think Gov. Jindal was speaking to his constituents. Problem is their tax cuts to the rich, deregulation, and trickle down theories obviously didn't work. Wish they would atleast make an effort to try something different. Hope and passion can do amazing things.

41. Sumit, Boston

Whilst I accept that Bobby Jindal had a difficult job in following the President, he made it all the worse for himself by speaking in platitudes. Probably the only take away from his speech was the admission that the Republicans have a different philosophical slant from the Democrats. As for the "Americans can do anything" mantra, it really was the most basic soundbite and he surely could have done better.

42. todd

I think Obama is confident and that what we need to be as a people. Lets work together people.

43. AJ

Quote the president on education “if u quit you do not only quit on yourself but you quit on your country” that to me is the most inspiring aspect of the speech as it is well known that education is the only recipe for better governance and prosperity. weldone presido we will not quit.

AJ (SCOTLAND UK)

44. Kim - Maryland

The speech left me more hopeful than on Inauguration Day and that was a pretty tall order – I agree that he spoke to us like adults and gave it to us straight no chaser – Jindal – why was he selected for the response? Surely there was someone else....I'm no Republican, but I didn't feel that it was a response to the speech at all – didn't he get a copy before writing his response?!

45. Choo, TX

Michelle looks Great!

46. Brooke

I understand that President Obama has to be honest with the country about the state we are in, but I was thankful to see a return (even if slight one) to what so many of us loved about him on the campaign trail-the positive outlook. Tonight was a good marrying of the two-responsibility and hope.

47. marcus

The more i listen to jindal the more i feel he wishes to divide this country into an upper and lower class nation.

48. Kennyb

If the Republicans do not work with President Obama, they can forget about recruiting any young African Americans as well other minorities to there party.

49. Paul

I'd like to ask Bobby Jindal, since when was the "government" not "by the people, of the people and for the people." I'm sick of politicians that do not recognize that "we the people" are the government.

50. Adela Perales

After hearing President Obama speak tonight, the only comment I have is: We should be calling ourselves "The United Hearts of America"