February 24th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 2/24/09

What do you think of Pres. Obama's address to the joint session of Congress? This is where you can share your thoughts on the speech and the GOP rebuttal by Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal. Just scroll down and post your comments to "chat" with Anderson and Erica during the program.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
soundoff (1,642 Responses)
  1. Angelo

Hi Anderson. I feel better. He is doing the right things.

2. Geannine

Inspiring speech Mr. President. Let's get to work America! Graduate High School, attend college, and contribute to our counrty. Huh, Bobby Jindal is the wrong person to represent the Republican party or to compete in the Obamathon!

3. Bea

The Republicans really need leadership. They are awful. They will lose even more seats next time! We need two robust parties at least. They are going to sink their own ship with this stupid rhetoric. There are good points to be made but they aren't making them.

4. Diane Dagenais Turbide

The segment on Banks was just right for the nation...let's not pissed people more about it and the message is the bank problems will be resolved in proper time!

5. Mike, Syracuse NY

@Sharon, with the average cost to taxpayers for public schools you could send everyone to private schools. School vouchers are the answer.

6. Xavier

I am hopeful of more change. The President is correct. We have been living irresponsibly and wrecklessly as a people for far too long! We all must now be accountable! This is the only way that we can progress instead of regressing like we currently are.

7. carly

Kim republicans do want better education

8. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

Bing – "...Reminds me of a Maverick we saw last year." Harsh words! But quite true.

9. Kimether, ATL, GA

I feel better about the state of our country after Obama's speech.
    I also feel very confident that the Republican Party is a dying species. Gov Jindal's, "Look at me, I'm a child of an immigrant too" speech was not moving, and very scripted.

10. Isaiah

Hello Anderson and Erika. Im a college student and im worried just like the rest of us. This speech elavated my hopes for a better America and future and I believe we have the right commander in cheif in place to take us there. The GOP need to join the bandwagon.

11. Chuck

Government caused this mess... Republicans with Financial Services Modernization Act and Democrats with expansion of Community Reinvestment Act... No one is looking out for the common people... No hope just more of the same... Watch and see...

12. Sabrina

Are we on top of it now? Really? I don't think we are. What exactly are we on top of? What exactly is this bailout plan that has increased our deficit drastically actually going to contribute to, even in the long run? When the bailout money is gone, taxes will go up to support the government jobs the plan will create and to pay back the deficit. We will be no better off than we are now!

13. zeshan

Bobby Jindal's response was weak, lacked substance and was composed of same old republicans we have been hearing ever since President Obama introduced the Stimulus Bill.

14. Mary

It all sounded wonderful but how is he going to pay for and complete all those Plans? With our recent "Mess" in Wahington are we really suppose to believe these "Plans" can be effectively completed? I think not.

15. Alys

I am Canadian, but watched the speech with rapt attention. Obama is such a breath of fresh air – full of drama and inspiration. I found I was hanging off every word! I am both relieved and reassured with him in office. I really believe that he will help us. It sounds melodramatic, but he fills me with hope for a way out of the current mess...and I'm all the way up in Toronto.

16. Ervin Jr

Obama speech was very hopeful and inspiring. Bobby Jindal comments was irresponsible and he fails to say that the Federal Gov came to the aid of Louisiana for Katrina.
    Ervin from Louisiana

17. Josh Coker

AC-Loved the speech tonight-probably his best work.Please tell Ed Rollins that prior to the speech we were all told that the message would be broad and details would soon follow. As for Bobby Jindal, that response was so cheesy that Wisconsin thinks it's ridiculous! Jindal is a high schooler stepping in to a major league batter's box.

18. xtina, chicago IL

Instead of judging Governor Jindal, why not debate the pros and cons of Obama's largest spending deficit in history. Do people really not have a problem with the stimulus amount he's spending?

19. Cindy

Al I keep hearing from Obama is the exact same thing. He seems to think that he is still campaigning. He needs to move on from that IMO!

Cindy..Ga.

20. Robert

You have to applaud a President that wants to create a National vision! Why did Bobby Jindal have to even speak and about what? Why try to ride the President's coat tail? Every politician needs to be on board with helping Americans, people are hurting and all the Replublicans want to do is criticize, complain, and condemn.

21. Mary Penn ~ Ohio

I was so energized and motivated by President Obama's speech.
    There is hope and we will move on and be stronger. President Obama is what we need at this time. His charismatic and caring way comes across in an inspiring way. Go President Obama and God Bless the U.S.A.

22. Alex

It's good to see Obama confound both the Democrats (charter schools, responsibility) and Republicans (facing up to eight years of neglect) – shows he's on the right track.

23. Travis

I find it laughable that the Republicans would use Bush's failed response to Hurricane Katrina as an example of why government doesn't work

24. Joshua Mwangi from Kenya

Obama was realistic in his speech. Times are difficult but we will recover. This is in line with his promise of Hope. One thing we all look up to in America, is how high this country reaches, which is a direct result in how high it aimes. I'm more hopefully about the American economy now more than ever.

25. Herb Seals

Im so happy to see that we finally have a leader who is not afraid to tackle the tough issues, whos not paralyzed with the fear of not getting it right or making a mistake.

26. James Robinson

The biggest thing I took away from President Obama's speech tonight is that "we are America and we are awesome." You always feel inspired when you hear him speak.

27. Jacques

I'm retired have not worked at all in 2009 my first SS check starts July 2009. My wife is retired but is 60, question is do we get any money? SS gets $250. working people get a break. What do we get?

28. Anthony

Pres Obama was a leader tonight! Jindal was not. Repulicians are still up to their old tricks; the havn't learned a thing.

29. kim

David Thank you. Thank you. You took the words out of my mouth. I didn't get what Bobby Jindal said. What was his story. New Orleans is still in trouble. There are still people who are living in trailers. Most comunities are rebuilt because of Oprah or Brad Pitt. What is he talking about/

30. Kendra-GA

I think the President’s speech was great!!! It makes me hopeful.

31. Regina

I agree with John King about what the President was trying to do. President Obama gave me hope even though things are bleek. Also I guess the governor of Louisanna forgot about all what the government did for his state

32. Rick from Ct

I had hope when I voted for him. Still do.

33. Merritt

I'm a huge supporter of the President but he is not the Messiah and this is not a kingdom. He can set the policies but the rest of us should not sit on our hands and wait to be rescued like children. We should follow the lead and the words of this intelligent, caring, inspirational individual and see what we can contribute. We should not expect him to wave a magic wand and make it all better!

34. Mitchell from California

Anderson,

I think President Obama did a fantastic job. He came from the hip and I believe he is doing the best he can and will succeed in his efforts. It was a great speech. I think the economy will change with the new stimulus package in place.

35. Suzanne in florida

Well, Bobby R if you all republicans had all the answers why are you just now bringing them up. Hmmm....I can't go to doctor, (no insurance), can't get job,( the last 5 I had were outsourced to India), have a little to eat, (lost 24 pounds this last month). I think I would like to try a new way with a new President that appears to know how to get the job done.

36. Anthony R - Alberta, Canada

Profound speech by President Obama dealing with specific issues that have an all-inclusive involvement plus the aspects of individual commitments/involvelents.

I take this opportunity to thank Anderson Cooper for his programme with his team.

A special hello to David Gergen.

37. Filip Jolevski

Obama's speech is the best I've ever heard. But I am a little bit concerned about all those promises. If he does that he will be the biggest hero in America and will go in the history not just as first African American President, but as the best President of the U.S.

38. J. D.

As a democrat, I'm no longer concerned about Bobby!

39. Jennifer

Why did the Republican response sound like a introduction to Gov. Jindal's 2012 Presidential bid? As for President Obama's speech, I appreciate the fact he called out the banks' misuse of bailout funds and I hope strict stipulations are placed on the banks asking for bailout funds to avoid repeat/future offenses.

40. Javier Andujar

I think Bobbly Jindal's reubtal was weak. He did not make any strong argument hat would make me change my mind on anything that that Obama has promised. He talks about tax cuts, well I think tax cuts alone will not work an extra 10 or 15 dollars a week won't make much of a difference.

41. Kellen Returns

I would like to applaud President Obama for his message tonight. I am from South Dakota; and sometimes I feel like we are a forgotten state in our union. As a Native American, I feel excited and confident knowing that Barack Obama is the leader of our country. I finally feel like there is someone in the White House who looks to the future of all Americans; and not just the wealthiest 1% of Americans. Kellen

42. nicole

He didn't sugarcoat the problems we are facing; may not agree with everything but he instills my trust in that he will do his very best. I am hopeful.

43. M.wilson

I think he should stop making so many promises ,we are not kids we known its ok to leave room for error.

44. Mr. King

It is so very clear that Bobby Jindal is not ready for the "Big League" his speech was so very dry and flat, he is not in the league of the President!

45. Mike Veirs

I was disappointed by Gov. Jindal's response out of the hat. "Didn't you enjoy our African America Presidents speech"
    Well we have never said we enjoy the White President! Gov. I'm afraid you lost my vote. I think I'll for for my Presdent of these United States.

46. Rasheam

They are calling the Gov. Jindal the up and coming, hopefully someone takes him to a public speaking course before he gets on National TV and makes himself looking like a complete idiot again.

47. Regina

What a refreshing change to listen to a President with a plan and vision.. Three clear and vital priorities: energy, healthcare, and education. If the government doesn't lead the way in these three areas, who will?
    I am more hopeful than I've been in a long time!
    Regina, Arizona

48. Catherine Flordia

Tonight was great for all od us. We will recovery from all of the problems for the USA/

49. Charles

Does Jindal think he's talking 2 second graders? His tone is coming off totally condescending. What was up with the remarks about the lunch counter and the hall where slavery was abolished. It was poor taste 2 try 2 compare his parents plight with that of Obama's.

50. Gordon Nana Kwesi Amoako

I thought President Obama's speech was invigorating. One that brings hope not only to Americans but all citizens of the world. I watched the speech live in my student hostel in a not so large suburban community in Ghana. I must say I enjoyed every bit of his inspiring and promising speech. God bless President Obama, the United States of America and every country in this world