February 24th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 2/24/09

What do you think of Pres. Obama's address to the joint session of Congress? This is where you can share your thoughts on the speech and the GOP rebuttal by Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal. Just scroll down and post your comments to "chat" with Anderson and Erica during the program.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
soundoff (1,642 Responses)
  1. William

whats up with the GOP response? I wonder if they think we're stupid?

2. Erik

Would the Republicans think that $300 million for new gov't vehicles was a bad thing if they came from one of the foreign manufactures that have plants in the South? Buying those vehicles, hopefully from American companies, will give someone a job who will, in turn, pay taxes.

3. Elias

Felt like he was still campaining, but overall a successfull speech. Thank you.

4. Terence

President Obama did a good job tonight. However, I am just curious how we are going to pay for these programs he mentioned. I am hopeful that he will help move this country forward.

5. Brent

Bobby Jindal's speech could have been delivered at anytime during the last 8 years by George W. Bush or during the last campaign by John McCain. It's like they haven't come to terms with fact that the last 8 years actually happened. It's pathetic actually.

6. tim

President's speach was fine and I extremely hopeful...Bobby Jendal was really off the point. His has his head in the ground. He hasn't rebuilt his own state yet. So please tell me where he's coming from?

7. G.M. From S.C.

The Healthcare issue is critical! I would rather be told the truth and given some type of game plan, sit around and turn my head like it doesn't exist!

8. Brice Ciener

For you republican's out there... Sorry your 8 years of fuzzy tax cut logic is over. We must be lead.. the government who is voted in by the majority of the people.. must lead us. America must lead the world.. those who make the money should help fund the cost.. if not then WHO?

9. Carmella

A totally AWESOME speech, when you give up on yourself you give up on your country.

10. Michelle D. Ontario ,Canada

Obama's paln leaves me with hope but it will be slow to get going i think it's not getting any better

11. Scott

I don't think he is trying to undertake too many things at once. He is trying to set a higher standard which is neccesary. He is giving deadlines too. No one can act on one task at a time – everyone has to multitask. I am very hopeful of the upcoming changes that he has addressed.

12. Dave In Seattle

President's speech was great. Nice mix of serious and hope. What school of speech did Bobby Jindal go to "Mr Roger's"? I was expecting to here "It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood"

13. James

If we are bailing out banks and automakers with my tax money ; should i not have at least a lower interest rate from these companies.

14. Adrienne

I think President Obama gave a great speech. He spoke directly to the me and gave the optimistic talk that we so desparately needed. It was sad that the republicans could not put their differences aside for one night to show a unified government attempting to unite our country and rebuild our economy.

15. cristian nunez

President Obama has 40 dayss in office and has done more for the economy than former president W.Buch.. My question is why republicans did not tell W.Buch about their ideas. It was because President Bush never listen to them or because they always agree with his ideas.

16. James Hussher

Jindal was practicing typical GOP deception with his remark about a magnetic gadget from Disneyland to Las vegas, he knows well the high-speed train proposal is from L.A. to San Francisco.

17. Jeff Rider

Bobby Jindal a.k.a. tonight "Babbling Jibberish"

I think we need to hear less from the GOP for a few years and that means Sara Palin and anyone else who thinks they can break out of the GOP and lead ... Take a Break GOP, your not getting off for a long time on this ride.

18. beth

Bobby Jindall...his message seemed to mirror Obama's minus the government involvement...if the governors and senators were willing and capable of working so independently why are all the states in such dire straights now and why didn't folks with the banks and wall street act ethically when given the opportunity. I certainly hope he does not plan to blah blah blah for the next four years. Obama's message was reassuring that he can focus on more than one concern at a time...

19. Michael Hawes

Pres Obama displayed the leadership, the vision and the intelligence that we need at this dreadful time. He knows we need big, bold actions, not naysayers. Booby Jindal's was a waste of time from a party with no answers.

20. D'Juan

Ooo la la. Couldn't have done it better if I had tried. Go Obama. Go America.

21. William Lee

The President did an outstanding job! He is in the driver seat and it is his turn to lead. We must now give him a chance to do just that. No one knows what will fix this mess, but he is taking action now. Anderson I am hopefull!

22. Irvin (The Bahamas)

The world is affected by what occurs in your country. If President Obama enacts most of his plans, sunny days are truly ahead not just for your country, but for the whole world.

23. Brenda Aguero

wow...that is a great speaker....Obama....go get um

24. xtina, chicago IL

Obama just passed the largest spending bill in history. Shouldn't that concern people?

25. Edward V

Why does Obama keep saying over and over again that there are "no ear-marks" in the Democrat stimulus package? Everyone else seems to say so...

26. Mike

President's speech? Quit campaigning, you won the election. Please provide some specifics.

Governor's response. Are you kidding me. Sounded like a President mini-me!

27. Deirdre

I was please by the president speech, he was restoring the confidence in the united states.

Some of the republicans wasn't receptive to the president's speech and made it obvious on national tv.

28. Mary

Jindal and the republicans have to realize that they aren't in charge any more. They cannot dictate the agenda!

29. Starr, San Diego

I thought President Obama's speech was excellent. He was optimistic, inspiring, but also candid and more specific than usual. Sure, he could have given more details about regulations of banks and the ARRI or TARP, but who wants to hear a bunch of boring economic mumbo-jumbo? He was able to keep the audience's attention, and he reminded the people that he and his administration are working to solve the problems that plague America.

30. RhondaS

The Governor is mistaken; Lousiana has the worse schools in the courntry. And there were 3 Republicans that voted for the stimulas bill. I feel that the country needs to focus on the bank managers that have lined their pocket with the money in this country.

31. Ingrid

Sounds like Jindal should have listen to the speech before he was handed a pre written garbage from a syndical Republican. Obama talked about the issues Jindal was bashing
    Give me a break, that was no rebuttal. It was a Slam on dems

32. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I like that pres. Obama is right thing to do to save our friends to make to education, never drop out of school!!!

33. trees

I am upset how the G.O.P continues to oppose the plan, however fails to provide suggestions specific to what they conclude will recover our economy...

34. Hamid

What was awesome about Obama's speech is his acknowledgment of the concerns shared by every American...that we don't want to reward the irresponsible, but that we still need to take serious action to solve the serious economic problems.

35. R. Morris

Gov. Jindal, I respect your life story and all, but do yourself a favor and stop trying to gain convservatives' trust back. You want to criticize the biggest spending bill in history?......You keep saying.....if we can be bi-partisan.....Swallow your pride and work with Obama....Stop being so negative and offer new ideas to the cause!!!!

36. john ledeboer

Great speach and inspiration. I think we should all trust him. He is sincere. One thing that bothered me is the autographs at the end. Everyone of those autograps are worth money on ebay or a barter for a favor. Let's end this tradition obama.

37. rob c

Geesh guys! He's only been in office since January and has achieved more than our former president did in 8 years. Give him a break! At least things are moving and he seems to be listening to the voices of the American people. Governor Juindu, or whoever he is from La is spouting the same Republican retorick we've heard before. Yawn! Let's get movin' on this economy!

38. EJ (USA)

CaseyJ – I know Gov Jindal is smart. I think we all just didn't realize that his speech presentation abilities need a bit of improvement (esp if he's going to run for President)

39. Sanjiv Gill

It's amazing the republicans still have the bush agenda. President Obama like most Americans are very hopeful. Where as the republicans like Bobby Jindal still play the politics of fear.

40. David

Great speech tonight...looking forward to the President's recovery taking effect soon to improve the economy, create jobs, and free up credit.

41. Michelle - Charlottesville VA

I think that president Obama is a powerful speaker and his vision is clear to him. However, there is a whole sector of people that will not get help from any plan and I didn't hear of anything for them. I.E. people who lost their jobs, can't find one even at minimum wage, lost their home and unemployment is still making a determination so they have nothing. Where is the recovery for them?

42. kayKnuckles

wow didn't the president said PUT YOUR POLITICAL ISSUE ON THE SIDE......Grow up Jindal people of America are hurting, while you guys living large...

2012 is a long way to go

43. Michael Ellis

I think the President presented his goals in a plain and candid manner and I agree with his approach. The economy won't be corrected overnight but I believe recovery is on its way.

As a bankruptcy attorney, I know that the situation is grave for many Americans. The recovery must happen now.

Thank you.

44. Marti McElheny

A great speech and a very honest man. I just hope the Republicans will stop playing politics and start working with this great leader.

45. Judi

The speech was great and I love the talk about reducing the deficit but can someone do a piece about how much the US Government makes every day? What is the daily income from GNP, taxes, sale of grain & foreign investments etc? How much do we earn every day?

46. Linda

the President's speech was wonderful. No holds barred – bad news and good news but full of inspiration. He's willing to make tough decisions and take on all the big issues. All I can say is – how can I help him get all this done?!

47. Ty

I absolutely loved Obama's speech! Thank God we finally have a President who can help bring Peace to our country. We all know it is very much need in every way possible. God Bless You Barack Obama. You are Heaven sent!

48. Mark

I trust President Obama. He inspired me to force myself to do more. I am unemployed, but I am very hopeful. It has only been one month since he took office, but he was done a wonderful job. I think his speech tonight addressed the issues that should have been addressed and in simplistic terms.

49. marty

Mr. Jindal talks to us like we are in elementary school.

50. Larry Terrell

Does Gov. Jindal think anyone cares about Republican self serving ego? His speech only reinforces the perception of most Americans; Our politicians are full of ego and BS, and self serving.