February 24th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 2/24/09

What do you think of Pres. Obama's address to the joint session of Congress? This is where you can share your thoughts on the speech and the GOP rebuttal by Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal. Just scroll down and post your comments to "chat" with Anderson and Erica during the program.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
soundoff (1,642 Responses)
  1. Patrice Brown

I don't agree with Bobby Gindal, I didn't get any help after Katrina.
    The state has not changed, same old Louisiana. I hope all Louisianans don't sound the way he did.

Patrice

2. Laura, Boston

I think Bobby Jindal made a good point that we can't take a loan from our children and use it to buy things we don't need. That is what this stimulus is really things we don't need. More money is going to be spent.

Obama said that the checks are going out. Did he mistakenly mean will be in our checks?

3. Daniel Hobbs

I am so proud of our President, for the first time in a long time.

4. geovani

hello hello,
    i am very hapy with what the president said tonight. The gop response seems the same as always, nothing new.

5. UniQue

I feel obligated to agree with President Obama however I completely agree with Governor Bobby Jindal's response. I do not think President Obama's speech addressed the future debt. A lot of what he addressed was ambiguous.

6. melissa

Hello I wanted to let everyone that the speech was beautiful and inspiring. He had a message for every American of hope and inspiration.
    He was moving had me in tears and felt like he was talking to me . I'm so inspired that I'm thinking of registering to go back to finish school. He's great and I believe that we can do it together.

7. AJ

I Quote the president on education "if u quit you do not only quit on yourself but you quit on your country" that to me is the most inspiring aspect of the speech as it is well known that education is the only recipe for better governance and prosperity. weldone presido we will not quit

8. Christi

Obama hit it out of the park! I'm so proud. We may be down financially, but Obama is a breath of fresh air. He is a natural leader, and an honest one who doesn't convolute his message in clouded meanings. He says it straight and tells it like it is. FINALLY!

9. Beverly, New Orleans

Excellent and moving speech. President Obama has an ambitious agenda. I believe he can accomplish his agenda with bipartisanship. However, the Republicans will be difficult to persuade.

10. Aaron, Dallas

The President put the Republicans on the spot by showing the american people that even one domestic issue, they are playing politics.

11. Anthony Prusak

I believe in President Obama! I believe in the American Dream! I am inspired. I want my children to have the same opportunities that I had to go to college and to earn a living.

I will keep President Obama in my prayers. Let's Keep Moving Forward and May God Bless America!

12. Liz, NYC

Hi Anderson and Erica! Thought the speech was very good, spoke to the people, now if only Congress could get there act together and put the pettiness behind. As for Jindel, he sounded like a librarian reading a child's story and he used the same Repub talking points, including the outright lie about the train to Vegas. Don't even get me started on his Katrina stuff...

13. Abisai

Great Show. The President sure can give a speech.Jindal sounded very very fake .

14. Craig Emett

President Obama's speech was inspiring. He owned his promises in optimism and that optimism was transferred to me.

15. Monica Yarbrough

WOW, what type of rebuttal was that. He like other Republicans have entirely too much rhetoric where were they when the AMERICAN people were and continue to feel the effects of their poor leadership.

I"m one of the "regular" Americans looking forward to CHANGE.

16. Billy

Obama keeps speaking about equality and things for the American people, but he's not trying to help all the American people. He has yet to mention equal rights for fathers that are being put out of their kid's lives. When is he going to do something about that? Do I have to cry on camera like Henrietta Hughes he gave a house to the very next day?

17. Martin

Really? Is this response the best the republicans have to offer?! Governor Jindal's demeanor was like that of a guest host from Sesame Street. I felt like he was talking down to the American people.

18. rick aquila

republicans still don't know what to say or how to say it. the Gev. was a joke

19. Sharon

Did Boby Jindahl listen to the president ??
    His comments referenced the president's topics. What did the republicans accomplish in the last 8 years ?? Our current economy .

20. cheryl, tucson

Hope .. ready to help where help is needed.

21. Rose from NY

Governor Jindal makes some very valid points. I also believe Americans are better off when they depend on one another and depend less on the government. Where is our great American spirit?

All our eggs have been put into a government bail-out. So many want to abandon self-reliance for government reliance. It makes me so sad that it has come to this.

22. everett

I am from the state of louisiana and a state employee, and as i listen to our governor speaking, it is hard for me to here knowing the state of louisiana. Hardly transparent, and very corrupt, and if mr jindal was in louisiana sometimes and not campaigning for his bid, he would see this himself. Believe me he has his own agenda

23. Bill

I work in the petroleum industry in America now. I have worked overseas in the industry for many years. I'm 53 years old. My hope is President Obama will keep me employed in the petroleum industry by exploring and developing our natural gas reserves in America.

24. Michael, CA

Barack's speech was very inspirational and uplifting. As well as answering many general questions the public had, his speech was very refreshing and renewed Americas hope for the future. I am amazed at how much Barack has grown as a public speaker

25. russ

hope!! has come Obama told it as it is and this what america needed someone who is up front and ready to move forward

26. Ronald Chitty

I agree with the president about the wasteful spending in Iraq. Most of the money is going to contractors. It should be going in buying equipment and troops. I stand behind the president. Iraq has a surplus budget they can take care of themselves.

27. Heather, Atlanta

Tonight President Obama restored some hope to the American people. He was honest, well-spoken and sincere in his obvious commitment to the recovery of the country. Well done!

28. Jason Vinson

sounds like obama wants to make congress work for their money!!!! Just like the rest of us.

29. melvina

i think the speech was great .and everything he is trying to do is doing the help the people of the USA

30. Greg

Great, Jindal just assured the American public that the Republicans will not join the bipartasian effort but instead will stand strong with their principals. In a time of change, the Republicans seem to go with politics instead of the good for America...

31. Jamila S. Ellenwood Ga

I thought Obama speech was wonderful!!!!! Straight to the point and what we need to hear with no B.S.

32. Chris Allen

The speech by the president tonight was by far one of the most moving speeches he has ever given! This touched on all the points that America needed to hear. He inspired this nation to belive in itself again. I dont care who you are or what party you identify with, if this wasnt brilliance then I dont know what is.

33. Faiza

Is Gov. Jindal planning on running for President anytime soon? Thats what it seems like to me. I don't think there exists any man who can out run President Obama. Thats just my take on it.
    Faiza

34. colleen from canada

Not impressed with bobby jindly.....he states no government intervention, and made out that his state alone fixed the problems brought about by hurricane katrina....did he forget about all the federal money that was put into his state....he lost any credibility with me.

35. Joanne CA

Great speech. We have to see how it plays out. I'm hopeful.

36. William

Obama has what it takes – Gergen said it best – it was the what the country needed. Maybe not all the details we wanted but it his way of saying "Trust me."

37. George

The Republicans do not get it! They were in charge, gave all kinds of tax cuts and it did not work, both their policies and ideals failed. How much money did Louisana get from the federal government from Katrina? Jindal is a joke and so are the republicans.

38. Eric, Canada

Republicans suck. I think this language is dumbed down enough for y'all GOP supporters. This is a joke. The last 8 years people, last 8 years. I will say this again.....Republicans have been trivialized and marginalized!!
    The whole bloody world can see it, except the religous right in the U.S.

39. Anthony Mokrzycki

Pres. Obama's speech was typical of his speeches... he is a priest giving a revival sermon.... Gov. Jindal's speech was the same but felt Sleasy

40. Jennifer from Texas

President Obama is demonstrating what a leader is, and we are thankful to finally have one in office.

41. Jameelah

Question: have they ever had a rebuttal after any address, or is this a new thing to bash the new President?
    Not sure, that's why I'm asking.

42. Owen Lee Juan

United we acheive, divide we fail. We all need to back the President in improving our economy and saving our country!! To go against Obama is to commit self destruction!!

43. Lori from IL

@Lauren re – State of the Union - as I understand it, the State of the Union is held every January, with the exception of an inaugural year, in which case the inaugural address replaces the State of the Union. The State of the Union is the stage for the president to set his agenda for the year and during an inaugural year the outgoing president (in January) has no agenda to set. Hope this helps.

44. Courtney swanson

Wow!!! Barack Obama is so inspiring. Then Bobby Jindal came on and I felt like Bush was in office all over again. Why are the Republicans so afraid to acknowledge that there might be something out there bigger and smarter than them!!!

45. Ken M.

The speech by Bobby Jindal is a clear indication the republicans refuse to work as one with the democratics. This country needs to be united as one!

46. joshua garrett

I think that the speech Bobby Jindal gave was very obvious that he was readig from a tele prompter and wasnt clear in his message nor was it a strong enough presentation for his debut to the nation

47. Chris Brown

I think his speech was just like ALL politicians speeches. He said all the things he knows we all want to hear. TALK IS CHEAP! I dont believe a word he nor any other suit in Washington says. ACTION speaks louder than WORDS!

48. Shaun

I think President Barack H. Obama is truly one of the most
    fascinating Presidents this country has ever seen. He's
    inspiring, ambitious and i sense a very trustworthy man.
    I'm content with his address tonight, brilliantly spoken by him.

49. andrea

I feel that Obama did a great job

50. Aaron

Obama did an amazing speech tonight. I trust Barack 100 percent.