February 24th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 2/24/09

What do you think of Pres. Obama's address to the joint session of Congress? This is where you can share your thoughts on the speech and the GOP rebuttal by Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal. Just scroll down and post your comments to "chat" with Anderson and Erica during the program.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
soundoff (1,642 Responses)
  1. Brandi - bottom of the boot

ha! the new prez is a lefty! i wonder how many former prez's were lefties?

February 24, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  2. Vanessa, TX

wow..congressman "twitter"-ing? was he talking to Jack? lol

February 24, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  3. Banafsheh

I love you Obama, and I loved your speech. May your words inspire every American as they inspired me.

February 24, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  4. Clarence, Albuquerque

Can he do that AC? Pulling things off on Capital Hill depends on what the perception if his speech is.... I try to remain fairly Stoic, though there are moments to differ and defer.

February 24, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  5. Jennifer - Michigan

I'm wondering how the stock market will repsond tomorrow. Any thoughts?

February 24, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  6. willie nh

I would agree to return my stimulus check, credit or whatever you call it if it were made possible. Not because I don't want it, because someone may need it more. Join in, make it possible.
    I am us!

February 24, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  7. Glen Up North

Anderson and Erica, can we get AC360 streaming on Facebook now? 😉

February 24, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  8. Bea

Terrific speech. America has become so accustomed to having folks who are not talented in the oval office, some don't realize the possibilities. Much of this can be done.

February 24, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  9. Kristen

Amazing, amazing tale of that South Carolina school girl. Wow. We should be ashamed of letting her down, South Carolina should be ashamed of failing to provide basic and adequate school facilities to a little girl of hope, ambition, and vision. We need more people like her for the future of our country.

February 24, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  10. Mike Saratoga

"Tension between Presidential rivals fades when individuals decide to work together."

Fantasyland.

February 24, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  11. Brandi - bottom of the boot

am i the only one that was a little confused about the facebook thing??

hey esma!

February 24, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  12. Sharon S

What I find so scary is our country going into further debt and other countries seem to be doing better and possibly one day have the advantage over us?

February 24, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  13. Glen Up North

I may have answered my own question. An online "US debt clock" mentions the US owes over $10,843,000,000,000... That's almost 11 trillion dollars. _Way_ bigger than the $825-billion stimulus plan, which is less than 10% of the total debt.

February 24, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  14. Michelle D. Ontario ,Canada

This is the most challenging admisinstration Obama is trying to help people he laid out a agenda and wants to recover this economy so badly .

February 24, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  15. Yen Li, Malaysia

Very inspiring speech. Even I am not an American, I feel all charged up after listening to Obama's speech.......I was on facebook and I think most of the Americans love this new President.... and so does the rest of the world!

February 24, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  16. Douglas E. Gardner

The more I hear and see of President Obama the more proud of this country I become. I am 41 years old and for the first time in my adult life I feel that we have a President that finally understands what needs to be done to bring our country back to the greatness that we are capable of.

February 24, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  17. Ashley - Hamlin, NY

Good evening Cooper, Hill, Gergen, King, Blitzer, correspondents, contributers, panel, staff, and crew.

Also happy Mardi Gras bloggers (Rikki, Chris, Esma, Megan, Vanessa, Lauren, Glen, Brandi, EJ, and all others).

I thought it was a great speech. I feel like he's trying to be a superhero a bit though, and it scares me. As Gergen is saying right now...

Ambitious or naive?

February 24, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  18. EJ (USA)

Hi Rikki, Chris, Glen, Ashley, Megan, all.

February 24, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  19. Banafsheh

I love you Obama, and I loved your speech. May your words inspire every American as it inspired me.

February 24, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  20. Steve - southern Illinois

Greetings everyone!

I don't know about you all but I feel better after listening to President Obama's speech.

February 24, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  21. Stacy

Hi everyone. It was a good speech. And Congress got a bonus workout. Up. Down. Up. Down.

February 24, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  22. Sharon S

Good evening all! I was as usual impressed with President Obama's speech he does speak very well and his speeches are wonderful but at this time they are just words to me!

I want to see some real actions being taken!

February 24, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  23. Clarence, Albuquerque

February 24, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  24. Cal

When a company falls on difficult times, they reduce their staff and workers. During tough times, our government should not be immune from similar thinking …

Therefore, reduce the House of Representatives from the current 435 members to 218 members and Senate members from 100 to 50 (one per State). Also reduce remaining staff by 25%. Gains would include …

$44,108,400 for elimination of base pay for congress
    $97,175,000 for elimination of the above people's staff
    $240,294 for the reduction in remaining staff by 25%.
    $7,500,000,000 reduction in pork barrel ear-marks each year. (those members whose jobs are gone. Current estimates for total government pork earmarks are at $15 Billion / yr)

February 24, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  25. Lizzette

President Obama gave a frank but hopeful speech. I am very proud he is my president. It feels like he is really looking at issues and resolutions that will advance our country long term rather than solving a short term problem. I love Barack Obama –

February 24, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  26. Vanessa, TX

I loved when he said education starts @ home, it's not a republican or democrat issue

February 24, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  27. Glen Up North

Anyone have a dollar amount as to how high the US deficit is, post-stimulus plan?

February 24, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  28. EJ (USA)

That was a great speech. I'll wait to hear more about the specifics.

I liked what the President had to say about education especially.

February 24, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  29. Mechelle SE OK

Thank You M. Woods! You don't know how many times I see it as a teacher. If the parents do not care, it's hard for the student to care.

February 24, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  30. Pati Mc

Evening Anderson, awesome blogger pals....

Best line of the speech "Nobody messes with Joe"! That was awesome!

February 24, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  31. Chase

Great Speach!

February 24, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  32. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Good evening Anderson, Erica, Ashley, Megan, EJ, Brandi, Vanessa, Chris, and all my fellow conversationalists! Listening to President Obama tell the stories of these inspiring Americans should remind us all that at our core America is still strong and we're not quitters! Wow...it gave me goosebumps! That speech was amazing!

February 24, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  33. Glen Up North

Just blindly giving _all_ the stimulus money through checks to the American public would get the Obama administration as criticized as the Bush administration for not setting requirements and regulations to the Banks who got the TARP money... and wouldn't guarantee that the money would be spent (What about all the people who speak of being frugal and saving their money?).

February 24, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  34. Vanessa, TX

good evening everyone...anderson, erica, fellow smartees 🙂
    I'm def. liking this peech..I like hope oozing from the president lol
    And yes...Don't mess with Joe..that should be the slogan for this recovery plan

February 24, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  35. xtina, chicago IL

How can Obama propose the biggest spending bill in history, when he just said the deficit is too high?

February 24, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  36. Jana, Indiana

Good evening Anderson and all bloggers.

February 24, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  37. Clarence, Albuquerque

We want America to succeed.... but do we have to support those institutions that are failing through greed and recklessness?

February 24, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  38. Esma

Happy Mardi Gras, everyone!!! Hey Brandi!

February 24, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  39. Michelle D. Ontario ,Canada

Obama recognizes people and the real struggles that brought them to the piont to electing him it's more than Bush ever gave anyone credit for

February 24, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  40. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

Good evening, Anderson, Erica, David G, Megan, Rikki, Esma, Bea, Pati MC, EJ, Ken, Brandi, Jennifer, Barbara, Isabel, Glen, others I surely forgot to mention, and new bloggers!

So far I am thoroughly impressed by this speech.

February 24, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  41. Toni

President Obama's speech was broad and exactly what was expected. I am 110% behind our President and Commander in Chief. With that said show me the money. Where do we go to see these line by line 2 trillion dollar cuts? Where do we go to see the stimulus package line by line? This is the open administration so show me the money and the documentation.

February 24, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  42. Glen Up North

Evening Anderson, Erica, CNN and all bloggers. The Facebook experiment is great... but it's eating about 15 MB of my hard drive space every minute. (I already had to clean it out once...)

February 24, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  43. Chase Schaub

I agree 100 %!

February 24, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  44. xtina, chicago IL

WE don't have the money for all these promises Obama is making. I suggest just giving ALL Americans a tax cut in their checks immediately and let us use the money we as see fit . 🙂

February 24, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  45. Brandi - bottom of the boot

goodevening everyone. happy mardi gras!

February 24, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  46. Ken in NC

Good evening Anderson, Erica, Randi and all Bloggers. Listening now to the State of the Union.

Interesting speech so far.

February 24, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  47. Barbara in Boston

Obama's speech was laced with bulletpoints from his campaign: reforming healthcare, rolling back the Bush tax cuts to wealthiest Americans, ending the war in Iraq.

Sure, I'm an Obama supporter and have been for at least a year, but even so I cannot remember another President who stayed so focused on his campaign promises once he got into office.

Paying for all this will be tough and I think he's going to have to raise taxes. That will hurt but I think it's necessary.

February 24, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  48. Jennifer - Michigan

Hi there,
    WOW – What a speech, I knew he'd do well.
    Facebook was interesting.

February 24, 2009 at 10:01 pm |
  49. M. Woods

I was pleased to hear the President's plan; however his plan on education reform falls short of making the child's caretaker responsible for their education. I believe that it takes motivation to learn and motivation towards education starts at home.

Thanks M.Woods

February 24, 2009 at 10:00 pm |
  50. Michelle D. Ontario ,Canada

Hello Anderson and Erica
    Great show tonight !
    Hi to all the bloggers Megan,Ashley, Chris Sosa, Pati , Brandi
    Obama plan to help health care , jobs is hopeful

February 24, 2009 at 10:00 pm |