February 19th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 2/19/09

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. starr formerly known as vincent

Great story Erica!

I think tht Michelle Obama is very smart to have chosen this role. She will be invaluable to the President, while helping each angency feel "in touch" with the White House. Very, very smart.

Goodnight to everyone, thanks again for another great hour of news and blogs.

February 19, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  2. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

@Erica: I'm glad you continue to follow the First Lady and give us reports. It is interesting to watch what's she doing and how she is shaping her role in the White House. Thanks.

February 19, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  3. Dawn

Anderson,
    My heart goes out to the little boy that was charged with murdering his father and friend. I strongly believe that there is more to this story than what has been released to the public. I would bet the ranch that there was some sort of hanky panky going on with the dad and friend. The boy may have seen or experienced some things that he didn't understand but inturpreted to be "suffering". And God forbid there was any foul play going on with the boy. Again, my heart goes out to a little boy who will never again get the chance to be a little boy.

February 19, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  4. Clarence

The shot... nothing like the girls just being themselves....

February 19, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  5. Cindy

Night Anderson and all! Thanks again for doing my question!

Cindy..Ga.

February 19, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  6. Dawn

Anderson,
    My heart goes out to the little boy that was charged with murdering his father and friend. I strongly believe that there is more to this story than what has been released to the public. I would bet the ranch that there was some sort of hanky panky going on with the dad and friend. The boy may have seen or experienced some things that he didn't understand but interpreted to be "suffering". And God forbid there was any foul play going on with the boy. Again, my heart goes out to a little boy who will never again get to be a little boy.

February 19, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  7. astrid

I can't believe the story about the 8 yr boy 'killing' his dad is portrait by you like this. While this is a tragedy, you must surely realize that a psychologist view into an 8 year old's mind is needed to balance this story. There is clearly more there and shame on you for not portraying a more objective view.

February 19, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  8. kim-chicago

As an advisor I would take Michelle Obama any day!

February 19, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  9. Sharon S

funny they keep asking people for money but they don't seem to be helping people keep their jobs? Or find new ones? Ironic isn't it!

February 19, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  10. Lori from IL

Good night all -

Anderson - good show tonight, enjoyed the mix of topics.

BettyAnn - good luck with your surgery. Hope you recover quickly and are back on the blog with us soon.

February 19, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  11. Shawn, Wylie

Yes it was handled fairly to an extent, but i do believe it could have been dealt with in a better manor. And i absolutely agreed that the defense gave in to quickly. I don't see how sending the child to a special school will protect the community. It would have been better to have him see a psychiatrist and for that psychiatrist to relay back to the police their findings on the child's mental state. I feel more investigation should have been done.

February 19, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  12. Clarence

Real Americans being asked for contributions. Give till you feel it....

February 19, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  13. Terrence McBride

The child was coerced into making a confession with two adult strangers present. How is this legal? It's really sad that this child's life will be forever changed. Not only is his father dead but his life is basically over until he turns 18.

February 19, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  14. Jane

It will take all of us, not just the government agencies, to pull ourselves out of this mess we are in. When she is done visiting the deparments, will she visit all the schools in DC?

February 19, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  15. Bridget, TX

Goodnite all. May tomorrow be better than today and may we appreciate the good we have even during the worst of times:)

February 19, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  16. Isabel Abreu, Brazil

Yes, Erica. I agree with you

February 19, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  17. Linda

I would like to see our First Lady Michele Obama travel outside of Washington sometimes to other states, we would really appreicate that.

February 19, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  18. Emma

@Cessy, I agree. Hillary totally ROCKS!

February 19, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  19. Steve - southern Illinois

The first lady's hair looks fantastic!

February 19, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  20. Miriam C

Well, nobody knows the face behind the voice. But again, it makes no sense to put kids/people behind bars over a long period of time. I hope we someday are able to communicate better to serial killers too and stop the word 'life imprisionment' – either is a mental issue or some anger that came out the wrong way – yes, a whole bunch of people are hurting, but it makes no sense to put a person in jail for 80 years and 90 years. I think this kid can go home – well, surely he/she was tutored to keep quiet – I am sure they have some laws for kids that will keep them away for further enquiry !!!! At some point the information is going to be out, but again it makes no sense to put this kid in jail – I am sure some kind-of councelling might help ....
    Wonder when we will stop building these 'state prisons' and putting them behind jail for some very small issues, Jeff.

February 19, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  21. Patricia Hunter

As a Canadian I have been very disappointed with the coverage of President Obama's first foreign visit. As Canadians we see our position in the world in relation to United States as much greater than your network portrayed today.

February 19, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  22. Michelle

Michelle Obama is one cool lady.
    The Obamas are such a hip couple.

February 19, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  23. Dulcie - Denver

After hearing Jeff Toobin, I think I agree with the decision on the boy. I don't think it's an overly harsh penalty and hopefully he'll get the help he needs. Whatever people say, a child who kills two adults has some problems that need to be addressed.

February 19, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  24. David, NY

Michelle Obama is such as a great inspiration.

February 19, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  25. Esma

@David, NY-I don't think Simon would dare go after Hillary!

February 19, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  26. Maureen T, Canada

MIchelle Obama is a class act and definitely a BIG asset to the President's cause!! More power to the Obamas!

February 19, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  27. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

Oh what seed we have planted with this administration! I can't wait for autumn harvest!

February 19, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  28. Peter

Watched the President today in Ottawa, how awsome is it that he decided to just stop off at a local market to get a beaver tail and some gifts for his daughter! He makes me so proud to be an American!

February 19, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  29. Maren in Oregon

Her every public appearance is lovely, warm, funny, engaging, real, and completely wonderful. She speaks wel, she looks great, she knows who she's talking to and doesn't ts\alk down to them. What a terrific deal we got in Team Obama! You go girl!

February 19, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  30. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Michelle Obama really is wonderful! She is really taking charge and making connections...I think we've already seen more of her as a first lady then we saw of Laura during her whole 8 years!

February 19, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  31. Sharon S

I think Michelle Obama is a great asset to Mr Obama! She is intelligent and she has class and dignity and she comes off as honest! Something I think we all need right now!

February 19, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  32. Lisa

Hi Anderson and Erica,
    Good show this evening...This boy is mentally challenged and under no circumstances should his record be dissolved when he turns 18. As a matter of fact, I believe we need to change that law. I think no records should dissolved no matter what age. Do the crime pay for with time.....

February 19, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  33. Mariafernanda P.

I invested my life's savings with the Stanford Financial Group and now it's gone. What recourse do I have in trying to get some of my money back? What steps should I take?

February 19, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  34. Rose from NY

I would like to see less salesmanship on the part of the President (and the First Lady) and more careful planning. Everything appears to be slapped together as quickly as possible.

A homebuilder can quickly build a house. Without careful planning and a strong foundation, the house will crumble. A great salesman can quickly close the sale, but will there be any future sales if the product is inferior? How will the consumer feel about being sold a defective product?

Great sales, poor product, poor performance - isn't that what started the whole mess?

February 19, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  35. Helen

The "let them eat cake" attitdue of people who are not "in trouble" with this economic crisis is very un-American and very inhumane. It is not only the great unwashed who are in need of help – misery is spread across the spectrum and I suggest those who are comfortable financially should have more compassion instead of self righteousness. There but for the Grace of God.....

February 19, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  36. Jane

I love Michelle Obama, but enough of getting to know the neighbors.
    Those departments dont work when she visits, too much time wasted.

February 19, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  37. David, NY

To anton brogden,

The father of the child is dead. I don't think he can be arrested.

February 19, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  38. vanessa from silver spring, MD

NIce to see First Lady Michelle Obama out and about on her tour of government agencies in D.C. She's one Classy Lady!

February 19, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  39. Steven Chandler

If I were to ask my 5 year old niece so "plead guilty" to something, she wouldn't have a problem with it so long as it does not involve time out or a spanking. How can these "Protectors of the People" treat this child, yes, child – as an adult when resources could be better spent in rehabilitating him and discovering the motive? I guess I'm surprised these child abusers of the law did not opt to use lethal injection too!

February 19, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  40. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

Hey, everyone! Sorry I'm so late. Show went over (Dirty Dancing).

I must've missed a lot. 8-year-old with a loaded rifle? Why people keep guns in their houses is beyond me.

February 19, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  41. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

Coming in late on the blog! Missed Jack Gray on the webcast 😦

Wow, talk about girl power....we got the FIrst Lady and Hillary Clinton both being highlighted on tonight's show.....yeah!

February 19, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  42. Isabel Abreu, Brazil

Only 9 years old and he will be judged as an adult.
    It's interesting that!
    My country should be so!

February 19, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  43. Lori Anne

Oh Lord, I knew I shouldn't have ever joined in this blog! LOL

What in God's name is a child doing copping a plea? We've still yet to hear why he may have shot his father and roomate who he thought was suffering? Or have I missed something? Furthermore, if the kid had shot someone else in a home with his father's gun, the father would have been responsible for not securing his firearm, right? And, if the child is that unstable that he shot two people, is he in the right frame of mind to be admiting to any crime that he has committed?

February 19, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  44. Roderick in Canada

"Child Killer" on CNN Prime time! Anderson you shock me even more putting time into this! Sheeesh! Only in America, the most inprisoned country in the world, could a 7 year old be interogated, and be considered to be charges as an adult for murder. This is a child we are talking about here people; WAKE UP!!

February 19, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  45. Maren in Oregon

Yeah, Anderson.....what biba said! Hee hee

February 19, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  46. starr formerly known as vincent

I think there is more to the story re: the 9 yo child who alledgely shot his father and his friend.

Sentence sounds at least reponsible by both sides.

February 19, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  47. Genevieve M, TX

I agree that the 9 y/o had no idea what he was pleading to in court. The Miranda Rights would have been lost on me at that age.

Heck, when I was 9, I was still playing with dolls!

February 19, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  48. Mave

Good report Mr Toobin. As a long time child welfare worker who interveiwed thousands of children and testified in countless trials during my career, I have to say you are right on! Very doubtful that interview would have ever been allowed in court and the prosecution would have shredded the interviewer on the stand.

February 19, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  49. Emma

@Anton, his dad was one of the victims.

February 19, 2009 at 10:48 pm |