February 19th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 2/19/09

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. David, NY

I would love to see Hilary Clinton sing. I wonder if she would be criticized by the judges from American Idol.

February 19, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  2. Kristifier

About the kid that killed two men including his father:

It sounds like he was cohersed into his actions. He said that his dad was suffering. How would he determine this at his age without being coached into his actions? Has it been considered that this was not a murder by a nine year old, but euthenasia by the two men?

I believe that it is a good thing to have the boy attend a secured location school. A regular life for this child would show brutal honesty by peers that would be very harsh. Unfortunately, a regular life will not be an option for him.

February 19, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  3. Becky, NY

I feel so bad for this child! Lost just skims the surface, unfortunately I agree he needs to stay in a separate school facility. His record may be wiped clean when he reaches 18, but that's all paperwork...

February 19, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  4. Esma

I love Michelle Obama.

February 19, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  5. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Glen Up North, I listened to the press conference today and Harper sounded like he was trying to strong arm or warn Obama to do what is best for Canada regardless of what it means to the United States.

February 19, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  6. Gerry in Toronto

I'm sure after President Obama visits a number of different countries around the world, America's reputation around the word will go up dramatically.

The world has waiting patiently for America to regain it's rightful position of world leader, and now there's a leader the world can embrace and trust again.

THank you America for electing Barack Obama.

February 19, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  7. Vanessa, TX

A plead deal for a 8yr old?? I think intense probation is ok but I don't think jail time is appropriate...man, I have an 8yr old child I can't imagine her becoming a killer..yikes scary thought

February 19, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  8. Emma

It is terrifying that a child that young could kill. I was outraged by how the police handled the case...you should never interrogate a child without a parent or guardian present....that's just common sense. Anyway, I hope he gets help. God forbid he grows up to be a serial killer.

February 19, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  9. Bethany-MI

@mike b –totally agree with you. What is with all these tax problems...its maddening.

February 19, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  10. Brandon

Anderson,
    I think its quite sad that this young child was forced to plead guilty. We all know that children at that age mind's haven't developed into a critical thinking stage. In my opinion, the police officers that questioned him should be dealt with. They knew that it wasn't proper protocol to talk with him without a parent or lawyer. It's sad!

February 19, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  11. Maureen, Georgia

I think this is a travisty of justice for this poor little boy. If I remember correctly the cops talked him into admitting that he shot his father because he dened it @ first. How can they do this without a parent being present, isn't there a lawyer out there who can help him pro- bono?

February 19, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  12. jay

I say let it all burn! All keep hearing everytime the President unvails some type of solution is that it will not work, it doesn't do enough, or it helps the wrong people! For the life of me where were all of these experts before we got into this mess!! I particularly love the PEOPLE WHO DID EVERYTHING RIGHT blog about not wanting to reward bad behaviour. Well everyone did not buy houses that they could not afford, but because of circumstances beyond there control(LOST JOB) they are having trouble making there payments. I'm glad people who survived the Great Depression didn't have the same mind set we have today! Long live the obstructacans.

February 19, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  13. David, Indiana

The mortgage crisis, increasing foreclosures is an economic emergency, P.Obama is acting, important not to lose sight of the urgency of the situation. Seems like he's exercising the options he can to help provide relief as well as stimulus.

Congratulations on your promotion Jack! That is a hilarious ring tone. Ok maybe the music a little heavy.

Thank God California legislature finally a budget through, hard to pull an all nighter.

February 19, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  14. Shillie, Sioux Falls, SD

Does anyone else think the case with this 9-year-old boy is unbelievable? When a young child is making a confession so to say, but when everything he states it starts with "I think", something doesn't seem right there. And just like Anderson stated since his parent wasn't there, it would not even stand in a court of law. Something seems a little fishy there

February 19, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  15. Maren in Oregon

Absolutely Not! Justice? This is ridiculous. This kid was abused. How can they not have investigated the reasons that he shot these men?

This is no different than a child who starts a fire playing with matches, and kills his family in the process. Tragic, awful, horrific – and totally not punishable as the child's fault.

February 19, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  16. Caroline, Los Angeles

I hope this "intense supervision" by the probation department actually happens. And the intense therapy for the child. This confession and whole case was handled so badly. Not protective of the child.

February 19, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  17. Rikki, Fargo, ND

This whole story makes me angry and sad. He is 9 now, 8 when he was being interrogated by police. How is an 8 year old supposed to know what his rights are without a parent or a lawyer present. I have two neighbor kids that are 8...they wouldn't have a clue. It is going to be a long 9 years for this poor little boy.

February 19, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  18. Isabel Abreu, Brazil

By laws, what happens to that child?

February 19, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  19. Mike, Syracuse NY

Mike from sweden February 19th, 2009 10:41 pm ET
    why is it that foreign car companies in america can build and sell cars successfully and america car companies have needed 2 bilouts

They aren't unionized.

February 19, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  20. Mike

I saw your piece on GM workers facing lay-offs. Your interviewee, Mike Huerta, gave a passionate speach about how difficult live will be without his usual income. Let's remeber that UAW workers make on average over $70.00 per hour (almost twice what Honda/Toyota workers earn) while the rest of us break our backs to earn $7.00 per hour with little or no complaints. Boo-Hooo!

Mike
    Los Angeles, CA

February 19, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  21. Hank from Canada

Canada gives President Obama warm welcome! Although there are issues that need urgent attention of both leaders, like economy, auto industry, free trade, protectionism, troop deployment in Afghanistan and global warming, I did not see any shoes flying during a press conference...

February 19, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  22. David, NY

I think that the child should had someone with him other than just the police officers. Justice is not beeing served because the child did not know about his rights and no one was there to actually protect him.

February 19, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  23. Janice

To Glen UpNorth:

I dont know why your are having a problem with your cars made in
    America but every car that I have had in my forty yrs of marriage has lasted me over eleven and thirteen years. We have had all GM cars and trucks. Are you not taking them back for upkeep.

February 19, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  24. anton brogden

He is 8 the parents should be arrested.

February 19, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  25. Barbara in Boston

How did an eight year old get hold of a loaded rifle? Whose gun was it?

February 19, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  26. Sharon S

Why wasn't his mother called and allowed to be there while he was questioned? Why were these officers questioning a child so young alone? And we all know how intimidated we all felt when we were children!!

I really think he needs mental evaluation!

February 19, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  27. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

There is just something strange and unnaturally creepy about that boy who murdered his parents. It surely sounds like an abuse story or terrible mental illness.

February 19, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  28. Glen Up North

Mike, the answer why Obama isn't pushing might be found in the previous comment I made re: his "not pushing" today on the Afghanistan issue: at times, honey is more attractive than vinegar. 🙂

February 19, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  29. jen

At least something is right in our judicial system! Am glad to hear he won't serve time!!!

February 19, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  30. Greg, Austin Tx

That's a tough one to call .. a 9 year old murderer given a sentence.

February 19, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  31. Michelle

Something makes me think the kid could
    not have killed 2 people alone.

February 19, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  32. Isabel Abreu, Brazil

He thought his father was suffering, then killed!
    What folly!
    Nonsense!
    What sadness!

February 19, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  33. David, Scranton PA

Obama was in Canada for a few hours today. In this economy where we all are cutting back I was wondering how much it costs us taxpayers everytime air force one (and all the support staff and equipment) goes somewhere? Good idea for a story?

February 19, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  34. Cindy

Toobey...the voice of reason! I am glad that he is back on 360!!

Cindy...Ga.

February 19, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  35. David, NY

He probably just got the gun because parents were reckless.

36. Sharon S

Why did this child kill these men? They needed an adult there that was not bias!

I feel that we don't know the whole story here I would like to know all the details!

37. Mike from Sweden

why is it that foreign car companies in america havent needed a bailout yet the american car companies have neede 2 bailouts?

38. Steve - southern Illinois

Billions and Billions into Iraq the past eight years while our economy was headed for collapse. It's so frustrating.

Sorry. I can't get my head into any of the other current events.

39. karen

i agree... it's deplorable for those with more than enough to complain about helping others in need. they miss the point entirely! we don't live in isolation, we are all part of a giant community. today, they happen to be lucky and have more than they need. for some, it takes only a single, unfortunate incident - like a catastrophic illness, the loss of a job, the death of a head of household - to turn their lives into a tour of hell. how sad that there are so many who lack compassion for those in need. how wonderful, though, that we now have a leader who embodies compassion and intelligence, and who is an incredible example for what it means to be an american. sadly, an alarming difference from where we were just a few weeks ago, when the world would cringe when the leader of the free world would open his mouth!

40. Donna

As a person who went through a foreclosure due to extreme circumstances – husband's illness, loss of income and autistic son – will there ever be anything done to help us with our credit scores. Or are we destined to be in the low 400 FICO scores forever?

41. Lori from IL

Barbara @ 10:26P.M. - I agree with you.

Why are we so quick to assume people in trouble did something wrong? Maybe they lost their job through no fault of their own. Maybe they got sick and didn't have health insurance. I ended up in the hospital for 9 weeks (5 years ago) - if not for wonderful health insurance through my employer I would have lost my home and still be way in debt. My medical bills were in the hundreds of thousands of dollars and luckily I only had to pay a little over $300 - I'm lucky to be alive and fully appreciate the value of good health insurance.

42. Gil Anderson

Hillary may not be a singer but she does have a song. Good work Secretary Clinton...Represent!

43. mike b

How are you supposed to trust those in charge when the man in charge of the treasuary dosent pay his taxes? Sorry not buying it.

44. Brandi - bottom of the boot

that interrogation video just irritates me to no end! they asked leading questions and a 9 year old is just not emotionally mature enough to understand what was going on!!!

45. Caroline, Los Angeles

Did they ever figure out a motive for this killing? Anyone ever ask this boy why?

46. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Did anything ever happen to these two irresponsible police officers?

47. Esma

That poor kid. His life is basically over at 9, that's insane!

And I wonder if they can bring Chimp-Mom up on any charges.

48. biba

Anderson cooper, did you give Hillary Clinton some tips as to : how-to-nicely-turn-down-invitations-to-sing-or-dance-in-any-show-at-any-circumstance-even-when-people-arebegging-you-to. lol

49. Isabel Abreu, Brazil

Sad days that we live these!

A child so lost! Where is the innocence?

February 19, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  50. Jason Wiles, Connecticut

Pascal, that is completely untrue. the media and bloggers were ON Bush's back for the billions he spent on the war.

Did anyone miss the irony? Canada is puling out of the Afghanistan war... but we're sending tends of thousands of troops IN...under Obama. I just cant believe how hypocritical that is...

February 19, 2009 at 10:41 pm |