February 19th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 2/19/09

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. EJ (USA)

Has Jack Gray had to borrow Anderson's body guard yet? : )

February 19, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  2. Carol

it seems the concerns of the public today in regard to the real estate bail out is citizens worried about those who bought homes they could not afford getting a bail out. As a former R/E underwriter who underwrote government and conventional loans for many years, these people can be spotted by a good underwriter trained before this mess started. Someone who knows how to read a credit report and not just look at a FICO score and the assets and income history. CNN should have a panel of good underwriters from the MI companies such as MGIC, GE PMI etc or Fannie and Freddie. You keep asking realtors, financial planners executives etc. Ask the people who actually do the work.

February 19, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  3. David, NY

I hope that the 9 year old child would not face juvenile detention because when he shot his father he had not idea of what he was doing. He probably got the idea from watching cartoon and did not realize that his father would not wake up.

February 19, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  4. Cherry B - Ms

I know there's alot of anger concerning the mortgage crisis and the stimulus (recovery) bill, but I have to agree with several other bloggers. We all know that something has to be done. Can't we give Obama and his administration a chance to help all of us put our country back together? The majority of us voted him in office. Don't you think we ought to try to support him now? At least he is trying, whereas no one else has for the past 8 yrs. We need a little more optimism and hope right now. I don't have this attitude because my life is great and nothing is affecting my family. I'm disabled and my husband's company just went bankrupt, so we have alot at stake here just like so many on this blog.

February 19, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  5. Becky, NY

@Gail...I agree that we need to weed out those who deserve any help from the government. We need to look at cases 1-by-1 and understand what they need and care to help. It's going to be a lot of work, and not everyone will be happy, but I think it is what is best for our nation. (Based on general education classroom strategies-its 'a microcosm of our society')

February 19, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  6. Mike from sweden

why is it that foreign car companies in america can build and sell cars successfully and america car companies have needed 2 bilouts

February 19, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  7. Teresa Wagner

The Pres. can be fair to all and give a 4% or lower interest rate across the board for all homeowners who would like to refinance. Then watch the houses sell and watch the money start to flow.

February 19, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  8. Cindy

OK..how can a 9 yr old make a deal to plead guilty to anything? Where is his family at and what they heck are they thinking allowing him to do that!?

Cindy..Ga.

February 19, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  9. Bridget, TX

On a positive note, which can be difficult to do these days:(

I'm thrilled we have a president that's trying, who cares and who has a very calming, yet in charge personality. The icing and candle on the cake is his wife, who is shown as being open, loving, classy and very warm. We know she and her husband are discussing the mess the country is in and yet she doesn't show fear or nervousness with everything going on. This is very helpful during the worst time in my life.

February 19, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  10. Regina

What's more amazing Emma is what led him to kill in the first place. What a troubled and abused life he must have been forced to live to even begin to comtemplate such an act.

February 19, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  11. Isabel Abreu, Brazil

Jack Gray is great!

I look forward to Oscar Sunday with liveblog!

February 19, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  12. Glen Up North

JoAnn, in the long run, trade is _trade_, and should be an agreement, not one country forcing the other into agreement. I am sure Harper (or whoever will be our next Prime Minister) will be just as respectful towards Obama as Obama is to Harper... which is pretty much ushering a new form of North American politics. 🙂

February 19, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  13. EJ (USA)

Oh yeah – that ring tone was the Halloween scary theme – not Friday the 13th. I guess that's why I brought up Mr. Sandman.

February 19, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  14. Lynn

In order for this bailout and foreclosure "solution" to be fair to everyone, there needs to also be a plan for those of us living within our means and working hard to pay our bills. Americans should be given a choice of what relief they need: Either partial debt forgiveness/payment restructuring or a tax credit. It's a win/win for everyone. What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

February 19, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  15. Duane B

Thank you Caroline, Los Angeles.

And, I totally agree with what you said about Saturn. One of their better brands, yet no advertisement. huh?

February 19, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  16. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Welcome to the webcast Jack Gray! It is always fun to have you with us! Though ringtone is creepy I have to agree you need to share it with us!

February 19, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  17. Rose

The stimulous is not going to make all of us happy but it is a start to get America back on financial track. If we all give it a little time I believe people will feel more comfortable with it. Like the old saying " you just can't please everyone". but at least Pres. Obama is giving it his all.

February 19, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  18. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

Hillary does not need to sing with her great line of bull. She is fabulous!

February 19, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  19. Ed

Maybe the president could use the W2's from the past 2years to determine the yearly income of every one needing help with the foreclosure, this would let him know if some one was living above their means

February 19, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  20. vanessa from silver spring, MD

So nice to see Secretary of State Clinton on that teen show the other day. I hope she turns out to be a great Secretary of State.

February 19, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  21. kendall from jefferson city mo

President Obama is trying to fix a big mess we may not agree with
    all of his plan but he is looking at the big picture and people losing
    their homes at this rate is just a symptom of our bad economy and
    it has to be dealt with because if we leave it alone could you imagine
    what this country would be like and it is very important to fixing our economy ,so please let him do what he thinks is right because we know 1 thing he wants this country and the people who live in it to be
    successful I know that.

February 19, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  22. Cessy, Chicago

The Pres. trip to Canada appear to be more "staged" than planned. He's worried about how it will appear to people to spend more time and dine? hummm....The President last week while in Chicago reportedly made comment that he will be back in Chicago every 6weeks. Who knows where he will dine again. Table 52 isn't cheap either. How much will this every 6weeks trip to IL cost?

February 19, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  23. Sharon S

How sad about the child who killed two people, I would like to know the whole story seems there has to be more to it?

February 19, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  24. Brandi - bottom of the boot

jack, love, its so great to see you on the webcast!

February 19, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  25. Carrie Bradshaw, Upper East Side

Betty Ann – "Poor baby had to suffer because he had more brain cells than the owner. "

Priceless and I totally agree. We need Dr. Jane!

February 19, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  26. David, NY

Poor woman that was attacked by the Chimpanzee.

February 19, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  27. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

We are really proud of our Cleveland Clinic! I know that woman will get the best of care there.

February 19, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  28. Glen Up North

On another note, Obama actually thanked our Prime Minister Harper (and Canada in general) for our aid in the Afghanistan situation. From what I read, Obama stated that of all our military aid abroad, Afghanistan is the one to which Canada has devoted most of its aid. My younger cousin personally served in Afghanistan (and may still be there). Even moreso, Obama did not make any attempt to persuade our PM to commitments past the currently established date of 2011. In the eyes of Canadians, Obama's showing us exemplary respect! 😀

February 19, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  29. Maren in Oregon

9 years old? What happened to the age of consent. Even an 18 years old doesn't have a fully ormed personality or brain. What competent attornsy would allow such idiocy?

February 19, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  30. vanessa from silver spring, MD

I can't believe that 9 year old pleaded guilty to those murders. I wonder what will happen to him. So sad:(

OT- I'm still a little PO at my Art professor who talked about my drawing tonight. He called it Cute, and he put Cute in air quotes as if he was being sarcastic. At least he complemented my drawing that I did in class.

February 19, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  31. Daisy21

Over the past several years, my town has seen more and more mini-mansions being built. Many people just had to have those 3500 square foot homes. I always wondered how so many people could afford these big homes. Guess we are finding out now that they really couldn't. And now I'm supposed to bail out these people who couldn't be content living in a simple 1800 square foot existing older home? I think not. If people wanted to live large, they need to be responsible for their actions.

February 19, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  32. Vanessa, TX

Jack Gray needs to share that ringtone w/ the rest of us, Gray Groupies...
    JACK....share..

February 19, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  33. Maria

People, please. What makes you think that one day, people decided, I do not want my home anymore, I am going into foreclosure? People are fighting to keep their homes. They are losing their jobs. People have died. People have been transferred to another state or city. People are unable to make their mortgage payments. People are not able to sell their home. Most people do not have a choice! Rejoice that you are not one of them. Count your blessing, for we may not know, if, or when it may happen to us.

February 19, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  34. Shillie, Sioux Falls, SD

Haha, Jack Gray that is awesome. I have to agree with Erica that would probably freak me out a bit getting woke up by that in the middle of the night.

February 19, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  35. anthonia,oakland,ca

Uhmm, did the investigators even go into futher investigation on the case of the9 year old boy that killed his father? someone fill me in on this unbelieveable news!!

-anthonia

February 19, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  36. Jennifer - Michigan

Hi jack! Funny ring tone. Great webcast!

February 19, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  37. Mike, Syracuse NY

Obama said he was going to push our allies for more troops in Afghanistan. Why did he give Canada a pass today? Wasted opportunity.

February 19, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  38. Gary

Hi Mr Cooper,

I would like to know if the president bailing out the mortgage industry will ever reach the little people. I bought my house right before the big downfall. Now Im upside down, not to mention I m paying alot more for my little house than the houses now adays. Not to mention my lender said before that the presidents laws did not have to be followed in my case..

I d appreciate any insight..

February 19, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  39. JacquiChan

Erica tried to cover it up to late- congrads Jack! 😉

February 19, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  40. Pascal

Hi Anderson isn't that sad? The American people spent billions of dollars to fight a war they did not have to without complaining about the money, but they do complain about belling out their fellow americans. That is sad sad sad

February 19, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  41. Sharon S

I already think America has become a Nightmare, one I can't seem to wake up from!

I suppose I should give up being a good hardworking taxpayer and go to crime, it seemed to pay well for Madoff and Stanford they are doing very well as we all can see!

February 19, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  42. Caroline, Los Angeles

Jane S-Bernie hasn't had his trial yet. He will eventually. How can this guy not go to prison for a very long time?

February 19, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  43. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

Um, Anderson I think we do know why that chimp attacked. Poor baby had to suffer because he had more brain cells than the owner. The chimp was wild!

February 19, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  44. Emma

I just find it unbelievable that a 9 year old boy is capable of murder.

February 19, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  45. Cathie

Just ot correct the spelling of Ottawa
    You are showing it on your screen as Ottowa
    Cathie Woodhall

February 19, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  46. Lauren--NY

Jo Ann & BettyAnn–ITA. The SEC have been sitting on their hands for quite some time and I'm sure there are many others like Madoff and Stanford.

February 19, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  47. Rikki, Fargo, ND

I think it was very smart of President Obama not to take on a lavish party and dinner in Canada today!

Ed does look a bit cold....I think for once its warmer here in NoDak then it is where Ed Henry is reporting from! 🙂

February 19, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  48. Kathy, Chicago

If the President doesn't want to seem extravagant, why is Congress cavorting all over Europe on our nickel?

February 19, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  49. Vanessa, TX

aww..Ed Henry is making us all hungry...I'm so glad I already had my dinner those "Obama Tails" look good..mmm

February 19, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  50. Mike, Syracuse NY

How is it not an issue that Canadians helped work for Obama? It's illegal for candidates to accept foreign contributions. Free help is a contribution.

February 19, 2009 at 10:34 pm |