February 19th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 2/19/09

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Bridget, TX

I thank God, we have a president that understands that there are times when we have to look over the mistakes some made to repair the bigger picture. Have people forgotten, this country is on life support, every major area in our country is suffering? I don't understand why some would rather the country continue to crash and burn than to help their fellow neighbors, when helping their neighbors will help them?

February 19, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  2. Sharon S

And Madoff and Stanford don't have death threats? if they had stolen my money I think I would kill them! Before they are allowed to leave the country with all the money!

February 19, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  3. Isabel Abreu, Brazil

That ugly doll! laughing ...
    And that horrible story!

February 19, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  4. Brett

Crazy! Should we stop making our payments so we can get a better interest rate and an extra $1,000 per yr?

February 19, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  5. Barbara in Boston

I'm amazed by all the clamor about how horrible the stimulus package and housing plans are, how resentful people are about having to help others.

What has happened to this country? Why are so many people just out for themselves? Why can't we value helping out our neighbors - why do they have to be "perfect" to get help? Are we really that consumed by self-interest? Or is this just a perception fed by how easy it is to sound off online, in relative anonymity? Do the people who post these items say these things to their neghbor's face?

6. Joann

This madoff guy and now the standford situation.I hear but I don't think anything will be done about it.heaven forbid it was one of us little people.

7. Janice

Hello Anderson and Erica: Well what do you think now. Everyone around the country was slaming GM, they put them through alot to borrow money, made certain things that they had to do, and now that they are down sizing people are blaming them for that too. What do people want. My husband worked for GM and we have made so many concession that we could lose a lot now. I think all the Senators need to take a wage cut so they can lose there homes and go through the same as everyone else.

8. Ken in NC

Why is Madoff not at Rikers Island?

9. Maren in Oregon

If rich people continue to invest with con artists, what do you expect? Trust is dead! Good riddance.

10. Maureen T, Canada

Bernie Madoff should be behind bars with the key thrown away. How cozy for him to be able to stay in his fancy Manhattan apartment!

11. Michelle

Madoff could only get 20 years. You have got
    to be joking. That seems like an injustice.

12. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

How many scams r out there we haven't heard about? It seems that greed is a motivator for the unrealistic returns.

13. Josh

I don't think we should be bailing any companies out. If we keep giving them money they will continue to use it unwisely. If we stopped giving money away they might, just might handle their money a little wiser.

14. Michael

I feel like I'm in a movie theatre full of people with the flu. Uncle Sam keeps giving everyone asprin to everyone for the fever instead of antibiotics. I feel if no one was bailed out, we'd have a "much needed" recession. And, home prices, tuition, car prices... etc will come down to real levels.

At the rate we're printing money, I expect to be paying $8 for an apple by next summer.

15. bob

as far as gm or chrysler workers, how many of them own an american car?

16. Pearl Cosentino

in ref to the hope for homeowners, why are lawyers getting involved in making money on modifications of your mtg. one called me and wants $2500.00 to do the modifications. should your bank be the one to do the modification for the homeowner. also talking about interest only, that is not the way i thought they were going to help us in need. thanks

17. biba

i would be happy with 1% of Stanford fortune lol...hello Anderson!

18. Jonathan

Thing this is with securities regulation, hedge funds are not going to be scrutinized as your normal financial products such as mutual funds, ETFs, etc. Madoff and “Mini-Madoff” are just the starters. Hedge funds should be 100% transparent. If and when that happens, the true amounts of fraud will be revealed!

19. Isabel Abreu, Brazil

Yes, Anderson is unbelievable!
    And this is an outrage!

20. Hillary B.

Alot of people speak negatively about the president's stimulus package saying that it will create jobs for construction workers, but what about everyone else? I personally have been seeking employment for the last 7 months unsuccessfully. However, I received a call today from the IRS about a job that I applied for last August. I told the HR representative that I was happy to hear from them, because I applied for the job last August and received a rejection email in October. She responded that because of the stimulus package they were able to hire more employees to start working in April. So, I am a female with two degrees, and I have a chance at gaining employment with the IRS, because of the stimulus package! Thank you, Mr. President!!

February 19, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  21. Vanessa, TX

i bet it is fun to be a billionaire...only not when you gotta give it back

February 19, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  22. Sharon S

Well guess that says it all the more you give to the Politicians the better off you will be, you won't get locked up!

And You have plenty of time to leave the country!

God Bless America!

February 19, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  23. Dodie from Irvine, CA

Hi Erica!

@Gary Butcher sorry to hear of your troubles. Many years ago, I changed from private industry to the government. Government pay is much less but a little more stable. Now we have 100s to 1,000 of lay-offs. Like you, my income was cut in half. But I am still able to make my payments even with my income cut in half. You can rent out bedrooms, just try and get creative. I understand its difficult.

For me. foreclosures will not affect me. I live in a city that has little to no foreclosures...

February 19, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  24. Austin

President Obama is nothing like President Lincoln was.....why is there even a comparison?

February 19, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  25. Roy

I live in California where we purchased our home in 2006 for $730,000. I had been on top of our payments for two years. We had a medical financial hardship and job downsizing. As a result I went through our Servicer's loan modification process for financial hardship. I was told "no" on the loan modification by the Servicer.

Today, our home is valued at $450,000 (a 38% decline and still falling) and I am currently in the first month (of a three month) foreclosure process. With my wife now out of work and my salary reduced by 30% I am working through the math to determine if it make's sense to stay in the home or let it foreclose.

Why wouldn't the "lender/investor" truly behind our mortgage work with us to reduce the principal a tad to make the home affordable opposed to having the home foreclose?

Thank you.

February 19, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  26. Renee

That was a red flag right there. How many Democrat bankers are out there? Aren't most bankers Republicans?

February 19, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  27. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

So many crooks are funding our government officials.

February 19, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  28. Franco V. - Cincinnati OH

Now that we have more than 4 million people individuals without jobs, what are the Republicans doing to help out? All the Republicans were against Pres. Obama with the stimulus package. At least Pres. Obama is trying to help out. What are the Republican's excuse for not helping out this time?

February 19, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  29. Esma

These investment frauds are ridiculous! What can we do to protect ourselves from scams like this? It seems so many people in the system are either in on it, or turn a blind eye to it.

February 19, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  30. Isabel Abreu, Brazil

It lasts the life of the economic journalist during times of economic crisis: if he gives the good news, is criticized for not seeing the reality, if he says the news is bad, takes the blame for speaking in disgrace.

February 19, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  31. Steve - southern Illinois

People complained about people who don't pay income tax getting stimulus checks last year. I wonder if that kept them from doing stimulus checks with this one that might have benefitted people who aren't "under water" in their mortgages.

February 19, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  32. Bill, NJ

We should all be pulling together to help our fellow neighbors. I am sure that there are those who are exploiting the system, but the majority of the people that are suffering did not ask for their current situation. Think of the crisis in the line of a classroom. If the majority of students are failing (or losing their homes) then whose fault is it really? I would say the teacher or in this case the banks and or credit providers.

February 19, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  33. Shirley

In regard to general reaction to the mortgage restructuring program, those of us who are blessed enough to have kept a job, or otherwise been able to maintain our mortgage in good standing should be expressing our thankfulness rather than expressing anger toward those who are obviously less fortunate for whatever reason. Those of us on "mainstreet" our paying for the bankers' and investment guru's bonuses and vacations, so why not pay to keep a family from becoming homeless? It's really all about the greater good!

February 19, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  34. Maureen, Georgia

How can anybody trust these financial investors? How many more crooks are out there scamming people out of their money?

February 19, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  35. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I wonder how many more of these guys are still out there? I have a feeling he isn't the last one.

February 19, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  36. Rikki, Fargo, ND

'Keeping them Honest' has to be my favorite segment on 360. It absolutely appalls me how these people can defraud people out of billions of dollars and they just don't have any sort of remorse or guilt. They are destroying people's lives. It is ridiculous!

February 19, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  37. Yvonne

I am tired of people complaining about bailing out homeowners. I wonder how many of these people go to church on Sunday. And if they do go to church, I would like to know why. What ever happen to help the neighbor?

February 19, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  38. michael

I love how there are like 3 people trying to figure out how to turn the mic on and off! We needed to hear more dirt behind the scenes, not some guy spinning his wedding ring!

39. jimmy/nj

tell me the last time you saw a japanese man driving an american car/why dont americans stay loyal to there oun economy.

40. L. Carilo, H.R., CO

awwww, you guys finally worked the audio thing out. Anybody else bummed about this. ~ L.C.

41. Duane B

Anderson,

Now, all of a sudden the Republicans are now concerned about the US economy. Where were they the past 8 years? Oh yeah, that's right, spending billions of tax payer dollars on ill-conceived war in Iraq.

42. Isabel Abreu, Brazil

This is an outrage!

43. Michelle

I have a question. Why is it automatically assumed
    that people facing foreclosure were irresponsible?
    They could have suffered a job loss or even illness.

44. Dave Grant

If President Obama really wanted to help our economy just give us all a 20% to 30% tax break and we all will spend our cash on what we need. That would infuse the needed capitol into the economy and the effect would be nearly instant.
    Instead they take from those who can not afford it and give it to those who can afford lobbyists.
    Can anyone explain how this is good for the people.

45. Cindy

I can't believe all of these men that are doing these schemes! How in the world can they go so long without being caught!? They have to have someone on the inside at the SEC working with them I think.

Cindy..Ga.

46. Caroline, Los Angeles

Zach-those closing costs for a refi are pretty normal in size. There are always new closing costs when you do a refi.

If you don't pay for 60 days it will be more than a "little" ding in your credit.

47. Sabrina

I think the media can go along way in helping people out in these difficult times by not being so negative about the plans, but giving us more positive aspects of the plans. It easy to find things that you don't like. Sometimes focusing on the positive can go along way on the psyche of the situation. Every network seems to focus on the negative. The President can not do this alone.

48. Glen Up North

Dodie, the value of a Saturn, to the best of my knowledge, is one of the reasons that kept me from buying a Saturn back in 2001 (and opting for a Toyota instead): as the car panels were "made of plastic" (as I was told) and the car hadn't been long on the market, it was hard to establish a resale value. Perhaps you are right and the value of a Saturn will go up amongst collectors and dyed-in-the-wool Saturn fans. Unfortunately, unlike the past and its riches in antique cars, most cars nowadays really don't look that much different than those of the competition.

49. Maureen T, Canada

How does this scam artist sleep at night? Another scam artist playing by his own rules! Oh the games people with too much money play!

50. Maren in Oregon

Hi Erica! Good to have the two of you back together on the same program! (We really need a good snark session!)

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10