February 19th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 2/19/09

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Isabel Abreu, Brazil

Desperate and revolting!

Almost 5 million Americans with aid-unemployment
    The number of Americans who are receiving government aid reached 4.99 million. It is a record number.

This brings despair, anger, depression.
    Who can save yourself or save yourself who still have their jobs!!

February 19, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  2. Tracy

To hell with wall street,,,,

February 19, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  3. Jim

if the govt is going to bail out people who lived beyond their means and bought houses they could never afford, and their neighbors and those of us who go to work every day and meet our obligations are going to 'help' them, then why doesn't everyone just quit paying their mortgage for a few months? we'd have a lot of extra spending money for a while and then we could get bailed out too.

February 19, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  4. Dodie from Irvine, CA

Because Saturn will not be built in 3 years, it will go up in value.

China has a wonderful Electric car. good mileage for the charge... no emissions. Really nice.

February 19, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  5. Billy, Orlando

Candy Crowley and David Gurgen excellent

February 19, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  6. Mike, Syracuse NY

The more bailouts I see, the more I think we should apply a darwinian philosophy. Let the strongest companies survive and the weakest go under. In the long run it's best. The recession will be longer and deeper, but in the end we will be stronger.

February 19, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  7. Ruth

Good Evening AC,

As a former Realtor I disagree with Ali about being able to weed out those loans which were speculative. The initial loan docs will give an indication as to a investor or homeowner. The presidents plan will help those who are not in trouble simply by helping to reduce forclosed properties in there communities, just by keeping the value up.

February 19, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  8. Corey

Why must we try to raise the price on houses if that's what put us in this mess in the first place. Shouldn't we try to low prices on home so mortgages can be lower too.That way people can afford their homes.

February 19, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  9. Chris

Anderson, Please tell America that we are all in this boat together and we sink or swim together.

It is very destressing to hear the "me" Me" Me" complaining about "my taxes". . .What about "my Country"???? We all need to contribute and no I am not on the dole, I don't have a mortgage and I do pay my taxes and hope those who are in difficulty can use some of my tax dollars to get back on their feet!! We sink or swim together!!! There is no individual "life boat"!!

February 19, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  10. Paula, Colorado

Anderson,
    Hi! It's great to see you again.
    The economic news continues to be discouraging–I think recovery will be a very gradual process.

February 19, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  11. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Kevin...I'm impressed 52 seconds! And I'm excited to hear from Jack Gray!

I came really close to buying a Saturn this fall and I'm really glad that I decided against it.

February 19, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  12. vic georgia

Hey Anderson, Everyone is talking about refinancing and restructuring loans, but how about those who are interested in buying? Are banks lending any better now? It seems like a buyers market with all the lower and reduced prices. What about the 8 grand promised in the stimulus? Did it make it through and who does it effect?

February 19, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  13. Martin

I feel the housing plan is great for everyone. I'm current on my mortgage and was responsible when purchasing 2 years ago, but I will still call my lender March 5th and see about the 31% income to debt mortgage. We may all be able to keep more money in our pockets with this plan. Plus it may keep our neighbors in their homes. It's a WIN WIN!!!

February 19, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  14. Dulcie - Denver

I just have to say that I'm not upset about the housing bailout and I don't even own a home. I've had to live on a cash-only basis for a long time but I don't feel all that angry about people who might take advantage of the system.

We're all in this together, you know? We could all go down the tubes if we start judging who we think is worthy and who isn't.

February 19, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  15. Ken in NC

Anderson, Republicans are saying to let Wall Street and the housing market correct itself and that it will pull us out of this mess but as I see it, part of the reason we are in this mess is the lack of regulations and greed in both.

That does not make sense to me. Am I missing something?

February 19, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  16. Cindy

I can't believe Saturn is down the tubes! But hey...it's GM...no wonder!! Look who's running it!

Cindy...Ga.

February 19, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  17. Linda, Belton, MO

I am very resentful of the idea that I have worked hard to pay my mortgage and keep my bills current when others who have purchased more than they can or will pay for will be rewarded for their irresponsibility or lack of financial competence. What about those of us who have lost so much of our retirment in the stock market? Will we be rewarded by the government for our losses for that?

February 19, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  18. Bridget, TX

@BettyAnne, I agree, the first lady is a class act. I hope to see more of her mingling and meeting her neighbors.

February 19, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  19. Kathy, Chicago

I was really disappointed at how fast the pork/stimulas package was passed. I hope the govt doesn't make the same mistake with the mortgage package.

February 19, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  20. Linda

I don't believe everyone who has had foreclosures are irresponsible people, some yes. I am glad people who really need it will get help in keeping their homes so I agree something has to be done.
    I was distress to hear Candy say that those who will be getting a restructing of their loans will be getting $1000 every year off their principle if they pay their mortagage on time. Well I own a home I pay my mortgage on time I want that same $1000 off a year on my prinicple.

February 19, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  21. Barbara in Boston

I agree with the spirit of Candy's closing comment: Let's not argue about what is fair, let's fix this situation before we all go down in flames.

February 19, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  22. Tim Cullen, IL

Why should we try to re inflate the housing bubble that just burst? Houses were overvalued due to poor monetary policy and political incentives created by both parties. We need to find a bottom, but one that reflects the accurate pricing of housing based on supply and demand and not on what is most politically convenient. Its fine to help struggling homeowners but do it with tax cuts and/or transfer payments and not by artificially propping up home values at taxpayer's and future home buyer's expense.

February 19, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  23. Vanessa, TX

Good evening erica...wow jack gray on webcast?? Could it be? lol

February 19, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  24. Jim - TEXAS

I don't understand why the banks aren't doing more voluntarily to assist with the crisis... Why should it have to take a bailout or legislation.

February 19, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  25. Carrie Bradshaw, Upper East Side

This situation with Saturn has me very concerned. Not only do I drive one, but many of my friends work for Saturn. This just gets better and better.

February 19, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  26. Sharon S

This country this Government is OUT OF CONTROL!!!

They reward abuse of the system, they tell people it is ok to overspend when you really don't have the money? WTF?

February 19, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  27. Nattada, Houston TX

Erica, I do not have a wedding ring. I can not compete with him, then. 🙂

February 19, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  28. Rod Legg

The intire administration is doing a great job and I am again proud to be an American.

February 19, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  29. JacquiChan

ha the wedding band game- Conan O'Brien vs Ted Koppel on Late Night. both impressive but Conan took the cake

February 19, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  30. Michelle

There are no easy answers for the foreclosure mess.

February 19, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  31. Glen Up North

Cindy, there's an interactive map in the blogs that demonstrates the estimated number of jobs per state to be created by the stimulus plan. For Georgia, it says 106,000. I wish you best of luck.

February 19, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  32. L. Carilo, H.R., CO

Kevin, Everybody Loves Raymond guy lost his wedding band down a vent. Don't let this happen to you. ~ L.C.

February 19, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  33. James in Kamiah Idaho

Dear Anderson and Ali,

People should stop whining about not getting aid they don't need. I'm perfectly fine with helping others out on my dime or yours because it will only increase my bottome line in the end.

February 19, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  34. Dodie from Irvine, CA

Good Evening everyone!

I guess I am very lucky. No foreclosures in my area. The city I live in, the home values have not dropped. I still have a job. I feel sorry for everyone else

February 19, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  35. Sharon S

This is completely unfair!!! What is Fair about it????

It is just like these parents today who won't repremend their children when they do things wrong, they never tell them they were wrong! They refuse to slap them on their hands or make them be responsible for their actions!

So what is the difference with the Government getting all those people out of debt giving them perks just so they can keep the homes they could never afford in the first place????

Yeah that will teach them to be responsible, its ok the Government will always bail you out!!!

Well in that case let me go buy a huge home that is way out my range and see who comes to my rescue???

February 19, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  36. marianne moore

Obama made a surprise stop at an open air market in Ottawa....the crowd went wild. He wanted to buy a 'glass snowball', I don't know if he got it but he did pick up some cookies and a silk scarf. How cool is that-the security people looked rather serious though.

February 19, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  37. Mike, Syracuse NY

No one should get a mortgage bailout unless they started with a sane mortgage and lost their job. I have zippo sympathy for someone making $30,000/yr who took out a subprime mortgage on a $300,000 home. Let them go bankrupt as well as the bank that made the bad loan.

February 19, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  38. Lamour from Houston

Americans are fundamentally honest seekers of the American dream-family, house, car, savings. Most foreclosure victims were duped into believing they could pay their mortgages and did not understand the full scope of the legalese in thier loan documents. Lenders knew this about the consumer, and took advantage of this.

February 19, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  39. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA

Regaridng the housing bailout, we're damned if we do and damned if we don't (take action). I DON'T LIKE IT ONE BIT, but we must take action to save the tax bases in our communities. It will be to our advantage (all of us).

February 19, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  40. Karen C

Betty Ann I saw a piece on NPR today about how house appraisers being paid off by housing brokers value houses way above what they are worth also have a hand in this because people start out "underwater" in that way. Disgusting. I am thinking maybe there is a reason we are being reset.

February 19, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  41. Vanessa, TX

I love Ms Obama..she is really doing a good job being a first lady..

February 19, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  42. Greg, Austin Tx

Great housing story. We have to put out the fire first, then worry about whether we used the right water.

February 19, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  43. Rikki, Fargo, ND

It'll be interesting to see how this whole housing crises works out. I really hope that the stimulus does something. I know it will take time but even in my neighborhood I've seen people losing their houses just because they can't afford to make the payments and they had no other options.

And Brandi...how right you are! 🙂

February 19, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  44. Dawn Peetz

I haven't lived high off the hog, I've made my house payments, even through a nasty divorce, I've kept my head above water. With the "bailout" "stimulus" or whatever you want to call it, "What if you don't pay your mortgage to a traditional lender? Am or will I be able to refinance my mortgage? Any answers for me?

February 19, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  45. Bridget, TX

@Brandi, I see there's another Ali lover on board:) There were four the other night. I enjoy seeing and listening to Ali too:)

February 19, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  46. Glen Up North

EJ and Brandi: LOL! Yeah, all these people I haven't seen in a while are at the other end of the building... and I'm blogging at the radio station. At least it's only for an hour... 😉

February 19, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  47. Caroline, Los Angeles

I agree with your comment Anna.

February 19, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  48. Isabel Abreu, Brazil

Many mortgages are performed daily in the US. This means that many families lost their homes. Every day. This is the heart of the matter and not only for obvious humane reasons, but because overturns the roles property, buildings, assets of banks, consumption, and employment.

February 19, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  49. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

First lady is a class act!

February 19, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  50. Jennifer - Michigan

Thanks CaseyJ – I am in it for the long haul – so hopefully I'll make out one day.

February 19, 2009 at 10:09 pm |