February 19th, 2009

How will the stimulus plan affect jobs in your state?

Would you like to know how many jobs the stimulus bill will create in your state?

Well, you can see the numbers here!

This is a map showing White House estimates for the number of jobs saved or created now that President Obama has signed the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act into law.

And, Keeping Them Honest, we'll keep track of how these estimates hold up.

Filed under: Bailout Turmoil • Economy • Housing Market
  1. Bill M. from FL.

Don't think the "Stimulus Package" will help Florida. Well maby it will. Big Corporations will be able to hold meetings and visit the Theme Parks on our Tax monies. It has been said that Corporations are still heading to Florida to hold (meetings) then take time for leisure activities. Again, all on our Tax monies. Where does it end. As for more jobs, don't think so.

February 20, 2009 at 9:47 am |
  2. todd

First, all Americans have to start thinking positively.
    We have been through this in past and we made it throughh. Media need to take a lead in making people believe that we will get through this crises. Consumer confidence is the first step in the recovery process.

February 20, 2009 at 8:55 am |
  3. LJRoy

I understand Massachusetts has one of the highest unemployment rates in the country.

Unfortunately, most of these new jobs aren't going to be clerical-administrative (read DESK) positions. Therefore, I will still be unemployed because I can't stand on my feet for long periods of time.

That being said, except for the lack of income (which I DO need), it's not too bad staying home studying and doing my own little projects even though it's gets boring after awhile.

February 20, 2009 at 7:34 am |
  4. Nick Zemantauski

Has Everyone forgotten why we had a Revolutionary War? We are throwing out all that this country was built on to save big corporations and wall street. I have been reading this so called stmulus plan and where the money is supposed to go. We are in a lot of trouble now but will be in even more in the future. With tax payers money being spent foolishly on pet projects for certain politicians. I guess every village has an Idiot and now Washington has found theirs.

February 20, 2009 at 6:55 am |
  5. jim carlsen

There was another graph that preceded this one that depicted future job growth through 2012. I would like to see same graph using real data going back to year 2000 through year 2007. Did Bush policies work BD congress?

February 20, 2009 at 4:43 am |
  6. Shawna M

Hello Anderson,

I lost my job and my husband's hours have been cut back. We have four children with a mortgage payment, car payments, $8K of credit card debt and $30K of college loans.

Of all the bill collectors, the worst has been the US Dept of Education. The USDE turned us into collections when we didn't pay the exact amount due, filed a lein against our home, and hassel us routinely. We believe the US Dept of Education is taking advantage of their govt status. A USDE representative told us, "sell your home or we will". We tried to sell, but our bank won't let us because we live in an area where home values are lower than the market value.

We had good credit, good income, paid our bills on time, purchased a home within our means and now we're on hard times with no real light at the end of the tunnel.

I believe President Obama and his team are not looking inward to see what havoic the government education system is causing families in financial stress. The US Dept of Education will receive money to help students but not those who finished college who are now being pressured to repay their college loans or face foreclosure.

President Obama should postpone repayment of college loans without interest and penalties or excuse them all together!

February 20, 2009 at 1:38 am |
  7. Irina

It is infuriating. What about the people who are honest and rent and try to save for future downpayment. The more honest and responsible a person is the more likely to get the short end of the stick.Few years ago my bank contacted me several times to talk with me regarding buying a home. The bank is one of the healthiest and it was very hard on giving loans. I think they were really honest with me and told me exactly what I could afford. After summing up all my expenses and what could buying a condo cost me (considering with 20% downpayment, I would not even think without at least 20% down) I decided that it would be quite a stretch for me and if a suddent emergent situation comes would not be able to afford it. I kept working hard and honestly trying to maintain good credit and possibly save for future house and was called almost "stupid" by friends for not buying and now It infuriates me to have to foot the bill for people that could not afford to buy home. How people could learn and be held accountable if the welfare state is ready to take over and carry you through anytime you screw up.

Talking about the welfare and expanding the benefits there, the system should be only for people who are sick and truly disabled. The rules of entilement should be reexamined. Programs like Medicaid are out of control and with all due respect some people are addicted to welfare. They would not go to work even when the economy is well.

February 20, 2009 at 12:56 am |
  8. Nancy Kahn-Lynch

stimulus, mortgage bail outs, and bank bail outs do not affect me a bit! I am a teacher of 12 years, have never lived beyond my means and am now faced with a layoff since the Arizona Legislature is planning to cut Education expenditures in the billions. I don't get it? Where are our priorities? We have low taxes, but unfortunately no jobs and no future...

February 20, 2009 at 12:43 am |
  9. Janet, Lexington, KY

What has happened to pride? Do people not have any anymore? My husband and I have always worked, we have always lived within our means, never spent more than we can afford and have lived in our same house for 22 years. We didn't buy a bigger house and now we are going to have to help these people who did and are now losing their houses. I say you shouldn't spend more than you can afford and if you have lost your job maybe you should try to get another one. You maybe not make as much money but at least you will be working and trying to pay your bills instead of complaining and letting the government take care of you. There is always some kind of job you can do; McDonald's and Wal-Mart are always hiring.

February 19, 2009 at 11:43 pm |
  10. Beverly HaynesLove; Leslie,MI

Our govenor has been romancing the movie industry, and she has done a good job! We have movie production companies going strong in the Detroit, area and there is one using the prison in Jackson, for a movie. So, we in Michigan, are all for stimulus monies.

February 19, 2009 at 11:25 pm |
  11. GF, Los Angeles

Well the state of CA just passed another tax increase so I don't see how the stimulus would help us here since now even more people will move out of this state. For a single person who makes $47k a year that person will be taxed at 9 1/2% – the highest in the nation. I believe Connecticut gets almost a 10% rate if the person makes over $300k – how is that right? Whatever Obama does, this state will end up messing it up. I mean come on Tom Leykis is going off the air because of the economy – not enough ad sales – who is going to help those not in a construction industry and how will we know those jobs won't go to the illegals peppered along the side of the road when I go to work?

February 19, 2009 at 9:54 pm |
  12. kenny G

I will answer my own question. It is because our new pres. wants responsible people and losers,with no sense, to be equals.

February 19, 2009 at 9:20 pm |
  13. kenny G

why do responsible Americans have to pay for the homes of losers who should never have bought the homes they did?

February 19, 2009 at 9:16 pm |
  14. Annie Kate

52,000 jobs for Alabama and 70,000 for Tennessee....that sounds good but I'm not sure just how many unemployed we have right at this minute. I know that there are a bunch of computer programmers unemployed because their jobs went to India – I wonder if any of the jobs that will be created will be applicable to their skills.

February 19, 2009 at 9:00 pm |
  15. Mike, Zephyrhills, FL

Well Id like to see who gets these jobs?

Illegals here in FL already have most of these construction and highway work. Contractor do have to hire americans and use E-verify if getting federal money. They get around that by hiring their employees thru a temp service who is american.

Michigan plans to have around 100 million per county, this will mainly go to County Commissions where a bunch of old men go out and fill pot holes in the rain and snow. Also charge 1 million a mile to put tar and stones on roads, so you get your windshield broke more often.

So between waste and Illegals I see no benefit for Americans!!

February 19, 2009 at 8:17 pm |
  16. Mari, Salt Lake City

In Utah, I heard today that we have 44,000 unemployed. We have not been hit as hard as other states. Thank God!

I hope someone from the DNC or White House sees my comment, I have a suggestion: please lower interest rates of existing mortgages and force the banks taking tax payer money to refinance mortgages of people who have lost their jobs but have been paying their mortgages.

HANG IN THERE........AMERICA....... WE WILL GET THROUGH THIS!
    DON'T LOSE HOPE!