February 19th, 2009

Families of jobless get relief

A semi truck loaded with donated food and supplies rolls into an Ohio town to help families of jobless workers.

Filed under: Economy • Unemployment
  1. Michael "C" Lorton, Virginia

When "desperation and poverty" shows it face--it isn't pretty–is it?

February 20, 2009 at 9:46 am |
  2. debbie from kansas city

I would like all those conservatives who complain about the "welfare" dependent and " lazy people" (their code words for black people) who just don't want to work to note, the picture shows all white people.

February 20, 2009 at 9:28 am |
  3. George Owen

I have great hope for President Obama. I am a Conservative, but I have seen my party become nothing more then a band of lying thieves.

February 20, 2009 at 8:48 am |
  4. George Owen

Someone needs to do something about these horrible banks. The corrupt and inept Congress is not doing their job. They are too busy going to galas and taking money from the very banks that are destroying the American way of life. They are slowly but surely eating away at everything that makes this nation great. They are making the American people slaves to debt.

February 20, 2009 at 8:48 am |
  5. Art

Its anoyher sad,sad day. I hope the new president/leadership can fix this nation before its to late. I have hope,but, we need alot of change,and in more ways than one. In the words of legend Dylan "everything is broken". Thanks for reading, Art

February 20, 2009 at 8:19 am |
  6. Annie Kate

Take the color out of the pictures and it looks like some of the pictures of the 1930s I've seen in the US Archives documenting the great depression. I wonder for those Americans who lived through the first Depression how much this recession reminds them of that.....

February 19, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  7. Patrick Feenan, from Belfast, Ireland.

I would tend to agree with Mari here. When I saw that video above I thought at first it was Gaza! Hard to believe that all that money was spent and wasted on a war that should not have taken place, in Iraq. Now the same money is being wasted in Afghanistan. Is it not time that the USA looked after itself for a change, instead of trying to be the world's policeman? Hard times call for hard decisions, and all monies should be withheld to aid other countries, especially the Middle East, to instead aid the American people. Bush left a terrible legacy before he was fired by the American people, and his policies are certainly bearing fruit, rotten fruit! His minions in the House and Senate are no better, while they play hardball with people's livelihoods.

February 19, 2009 at 9:36 pm |
  8. Joe G. (From Illinois)

With record numbers of people unemployed and such.. I wonder.. Are these trillions and trillions of dollars worth of 3 legged stools coming from China? I’ll say something about it..

February 19, 2009 at 9:35 pm |
  9. B.Hanson

My relative who works for Hewlitt Packard just told me their CEO rcvd a $42million bonus for performance in 2008. This was after drastic lay-offs, budget cuts, and requiring that salaried employees take a 5-10% pay cut and hourly employees take a 2.5% pay cut. Those who are still employed have taken the cut in order to keep their jobs, but how unfair this is!

Whatever happened to companies who realize their employees ARE the company? If things are so bad to require all the cut-backs, how can a CEO in good conscience accept a $42million bonus for these kinds of cost saving measures? It makes me unspeakably sad, angry, and disgusted at the greed attained at the expense of others. How can we get these CEOs to do the "right" thing?

February 19, 2009 at 9:14 pm |
  10. Pat

CNN missed a very rare opportunity / leadership to recognize Canada by not providing comprehensive coverage of President Obama 's first visit outside the USA .CNN could have demonstrated leadership in providing an educational experience for both Americans and Canadians on the past ,present and future relationships of the two countries and an explanation of the formal protocal of Canada for recieving the President . The excitement , admiration and enhancement of our realtionship with the USA was very evident during this short by important visit . Our news media went to great lengths to provide wonderful history of past relationships as well an expected positive future as strong allies . You do need a friendly Canada regardless , it is important to acknowledge same , and initiate better coverage ! Do you realize how much time Canadians watch CNN and know about the USA ?

How many times was the tape on CNN about the chimp attack ? and yet this visit was undercovered . Obama was well prepared for his trip demonstrating respect and admiration in acknowledging Canada's importance as a friend including a reference and Thank you to "Canadians traveling to the US to assist with his election."

February 19, 2009 at 8:54 pm |
  11. taxpayer101

It's funny how so many individuals have the nerve to complain about the housing bailout stating they 're upset that their tax monies are bailing individuals who are living beyond their means. The fact of the matter is those individuals pay taxes too. If those who are griping s would wait, I am sure there will be something in this stimulus plan that will help them too, the question they should ask themselves then, would be whose tax money is it now. For the record, I am happy to give the little tax money I pay if it will help the economy and make my daughter more secure in the future. It's not about us its about whatever we can do for the future of our country..

February 19, 2009 at 8:24 pm |
  12. Mike, Zephyrhills, FL

Wal-mart will charge you $3 to cash your unemployment check too.

Sad!!

February 19, 2009 at 8:12 pm |
  13. Lawrence

I've been watching CNN as I always do and I agree that we should not lose any sleep over the cartoon of the chimp and the police and yes, there are more important issues. That being said, I think its more disturbing to me that there are African Americans ( that have been on your show) who cannot see it for what it is. Just ignore it, it'll go away right? Unless I'm wrong, wasn't President Obama the one that was traveling the country trying to sell the stimulus? Why didn't the cartoonist draw a dead donkey if it was suppose to represent the democrates? The more things change, the more they stay the same.

February 19, 2009 at 7:58 pm |
  14. Thonas P

Someone, like you Mr. Cooper, needs to go after the banks that are now charging fees on jobless benefits. Shame on all the banks that do this. People should pull thier accounts from the banks that do this. I guess someone has to pay for all the bonuses to the executives, so of course, the jobless get hit. How disgusting.

February 19, 2009 at 7:49 pm |
  15. Mari, Salt Lake City

This scene reminds me of New Orleans when Katrina hit, we looked like a Third World nation!

Its a shame that Bush & Co., ignored the warnings of economists three years ago!

Its a shame that Bush doubled our National debt. Can you imagine what we, Americans, could do with the .......$10........BILLION.......... we have been spending monthly in Iraq for the last SEVEN years!

My prayers are with all the millions whom have lost their jobs.

May God bless them, and return our Nation to prosperity soon.

YES WE CAN........AMERICA !

February 19, 2009 at 7:49 pm |