February 10th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 2/10/09

Want to share your thoughts on the stories we're covering tonight? You're in the right location. Just scroll down and post your comments. This is where you can "chat" with Anderson during the program.

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Randi Kaye's webcast during the commercials. She's filling in for Erica. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Jasmine-Spokane,WA

Why hasn't CPS done anything? I mean that's what they do protect children, they have evidence to go in for a search warrent.

February 10, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  2. David, Indiana

Thanks Megan! just saw your comment up above. I truly hope repubs can come onboard, stimulus I think will help to stem unemployment, those benefits not enough.

Maybe market overreacted to Tim Geithner plan? I have to admit I need to look at transcript of what he said, but the thrust of it seemed sensible. What is the market worried about, the 1.5 trillion in guarantees? Are those public/ private part of plan? Not sure about that.

I think Michael Phelps has gotten things worked out. Everyone else involved now having to do that.

Those fires in Australia swept right through those towns. All the wildfires I 've seen on tv, I never seen anything like that. Shot of that man and his daughter is heart wrenching, I can totally understand her joy and relief.

February 10, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  3. Gerry in Toronto

I think she should have 4 more, then she could hold her own family baseball game. Granda could be the umpire.

February 10, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  4. Lorna

Oh gosh, those pictures are disgusting!

February 10, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  5. Candace from Canada

I can not believe that Octo Mom is not freaking about how she is going to feed and raise 14 babies all on her own.

This says volumes about how society has declined because of individuals being selfish.

It is sickening to think of these children growing up with so many strikes all ready against them.

February 10, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  6. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I think someone should corner that publicist who lied to Larry King about this woman being on public assistance.

February 10, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  7. Saad, NJ

The mother of the of the 8 children as well as the doctor who helped her should be put in jail! As simple as that. They have committed a crime.

February 10, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  8. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA

I'm waiting for the octo mother to sue the doctor for malpractice and blame him for doing this to her–so she can care for the babies.

February 10, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  9. Amy - ON

if she lives off food stamps, how does she afford a publicist of all things?

February 10, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  10. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

Anderson~That doctor acted irresponsibly and was unethical. That just is not natural. Shame on both of them. They both need their head examined.
    There are too many unwanted children already. 😦

February 10, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  11. Vanessa, TX

I can GUARANTEE that $490/mo on food stamps is not gonna be enough for all 14 kids..this lady really is a disgrace to all moms who are trying IVF i had heard that her place was filthy earlier...I"m glad CNN confirmed YUCK

February 10, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  12. Dodie from Irvine, CA

No excuse. She already had 6 children!!!

February 10, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  13. Saera El Paso,TX

CPS has got to have somthing to say about this! where are they?

February 10, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  14. Tracey

Lol @ Mike...

Randi...sorry thought was Erica blogging when I posted earlier.

February 10, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  15. Bea

Ann Curry's interview of octomom was wimpy. Made me mad.

February 10, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  16. Clarence Albuquerque

I don't believe the only issue is how the woman will pay for the kids.... how will they be raised with the other basic needs... such as adequate affection and attention?

February 10, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  17. Lori from IL

Anderson -

I agree that the doctor has the right to determine whether the children will be well taken care of (before IVF procredure) - and not just financially, but in a stable home environment. What the dr. and she did is wrong on so many levels and the kids will be the ones who suffer (and the taxpayers will foot the bill.)

February 10, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  18. Ravin

At this rate by next year the Mother of octuplets may add another 8 bringing the total up to 22

February 10, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  19. Maureen T, Canada

That woman is insane! She is so selfish and I'm not sure she knows, trulyu knows, what she is in for! Take those children away from her and have someone else take care of them!

February 10, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  20. Bea

I'm sick of people comparing this octo-mom to women who have had large families. Most women have them consecutively so that the older ones are eventually able to help with the younger ones. That can be a very good experience for children. In this case, 14 little ones is what she has. The comparison is offensive to large families. I might add a lot of them have two parents.

February 10, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  21. Atchut

Best way to recover housing market is prevent foreclosures, best way to prevent foreclosures is give tax credit to home buyer who bought house from 2004 to 2007(that's when this housing bubble started). This 15K tax credit alluring lot of house owners to forclose. Why the heck they need to live with negative equity and adding salt to injury, they can not get 15K tax credit. My 2 cents for this problem is, give 5 to 7K to all home owners who owns to house in 2009, this way you can stem foreclosures as well as simulate new buyers.

22. Lorna

Anderson,

Your question has further complications. We could perhaps extend it to another question. If the doctor knows that the mother can't take care of her future children, then can the doctor force abortion to this mother? Whose right is it anyway?

23. vanessa from silver spring, MD

I am so sick of hearing about this woman. I guess I better get use to it because this story will probably never go away. The news will follow this woman forever.

24. Renee

Okay, how much is the publicist getting paid every month? Who gets a publicist for free? Remember the crazy nut publicist that was selling OJ's book. Is it her?

25. Jasmine-Spokane,WA

I LOVE the grandmother in the case. She knows that even though she is a mom, she knows what's right for hr daughter and grandchildren. If that means standing up and speaking against her daughter's actions, so be it. 🙂

26. Jacqui Chan

oh no, I just got a sneaking suspicion that the child services may try to take the babies or children from the home due to inability to care for so many and cramped living conditions

27. Mike, Syracuse NY

@Demi, Don't you remember that just a few short months ago Obama was promising 95% of us tax cuts? Well, why not now?

28. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Anderson, I think that a doctor should not have a right to decide who to treat in the case of illness, but this is not illness.

Someone, including the doctor, should have called in social services way before this happened.

29. Isabel Abreu, Brazil

Are you serious!
    Antil the grandmother of octuplets is giving interviews!

Anderson Cooper,
    I do not disappoint!

30. Minou, New York City

Who paid for her fertility treatment? i hear those are verrrry costly.

31. Stacy

Has this woman been assessed for mental illness?

32. Ted

I am absolutely repulsed that this woman thought it would be a good idea to have more children than she can afford! At least Kate and John have the finances and a system to take care of their kids! But this woman is living with her parents and with no job! She is baby crazy and is irresponsible with life and should be prosecuted to the fullest law that exists! Hopefully it does exist and the mother should stop this! And the clinic should have notified someone! And she's on food stamps?? I'm sorry but I am angry because this children are going to have an non deserving life!

33. biba

Mr. Anderson Cooper, by law can you have fourteen kids and 3 adults in a 2 bedroom house?

February 10, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  34. Randy

You would think that law enforcement would have better things to do than actively go out of their way to gift young students with a criminal record for smoking pot; re: the Phelps fiasco. Law reform regarding this weed is at least 4 decades overdue.

February 10, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  35. Gary

It will cost the California taxpayers a million dollars just for the hospitalization of these children. This woman thinks this is not welfare.

February 10, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  36. Esma

How can Octo-mom's fertility specialist not know her financial situation? What insurance plan does she have and can I sign up for it (I promise not to have massive amounts of children)?
    Every adult's behavior in this is pure lunacy. And I mean howling-at-the-moon lunacy.

February 10, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  37. Naissa, Deep in the HEART of Texas

That poor grandmother is going to have the weight of these children on her shoulders. I can imagine what she may be feeling right now.

Pisses me off.

February 10, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  38. Dodie from Irvine, CA

Social Services will remove all her children

February 10, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  39. Michelle

How soon before child protective services show up ?

February 10, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  40. Mike, Syracuse NY

@Anderson. I think the doctor should have to pay child support!

February 10, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  41. Jody Scott-Olson

I think there is a difference between doctors making ethical decisions regarding health...getting into personal finances skirts very dangerous lines. I live in a very conservative area and leaving these decisions in their hands would frighten me.

February 10, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  42. lynn

Geitner has been in office for TWO weeks, President for THREE. Geitner gives me confidence because he is thoughtful and a bit "nerdy". He seems earnest and has given up a great deal to work for his country.

I think it disrespectful to dis someone after there very first news conference and to sit back every night and pass judgment without ever having to step up to the plate and have to solve anything as pundits do every night!

February 10, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  43. Saera El Paso,TX

tetrakaideca-mom is proof that some people should never procreate.
    oops... i think that's greek.... i meant... quattrodeca-mom?
    whatever it is, she needs to stop thinking about herself and start thinking about the reality of the situation her kids are in

February 10, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  44. Miranda

Team

My thoughts and prayers are with the people of Australia.

Miranda

February 10, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  45. Isabel Abreu, Brazil

Anderson,

Please, no more talk about the mother of octuplets.

She has had her fifteen minutes of fame.
    She doesn't deserve so much success!

Thank you, so much!

February 10, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  46. Bea

Anderson, she is not on "Public Assistance." Call it what she called it. She is on welfare.

February 10, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  47. anna in montana

The octo mom has serious problems, and the inseminating MD should be held to some sort of accountablility. He had to have known she had no job, no home, and no sense.

February 10, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  48. Renee

@ Jo Ann: This is Husband's biggest beef with this package. Once they get used to all that money coming in (for whatever reason) they won't be able to stop (funding other countries but our own.) Have you seen all the aid going to foreign governments?

February 10, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  49. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Anderson, I think that Doctors do have a responsibility to take care of their patients and perspective patients. But its my understanding that the mom essentially demanded all eight embryos be implanted.

February 10, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  50. Bridget, TX

Randi,
    Thanks for showing the clips of Michelle with the children, I love children they're so innocent with their feelings. It was nice seeing the president comfort the woman in Florida and the first lady spending time with the children today. Great first couple we have here.

I wish the Oct-mom wouldn't get so much publicity.

February 10, 2009 at 10:46 pm |