February 10th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 2/10/09

Want to share your thoughts on the stories we're covering tonight? You're in the right location. Just scroll down and post your comments. This is where you can "chat" with Anderson during the program.

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Randi Kaye's webcast during the commercials. She's filling in for Erica. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. lasonia b

America has to realize that we are living in a "Fixer Upper". President Obama and his team has to have time to evaluate the most appropriate way to repair the wear and tear on our home. The transperancy of this administration regarding the repair of our home is a significant improvement of what we've experienced with the most recent administrations. Keep in mind the amount of time he has been in office.

lbh

February 10, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  2. Jasmine-Spokane,WA

Obviously the doctor that decided to go ahead for the infertilization was more than likely doing it for personal reasons. Couldn't there potentially be a case for malpractice? I don't know how a trial would go about, but there is clear evidence of endangerment of the children and the mother...

February 10, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  3. Demi

It seems the only solution the republicans have is more tax cut; this is what got us into the mess we are currently in. If you don't spend, business can't make money thus can't expand. I believe the stimulus package is addressing it the correct way by a mixture of both tax cut and spending. The rebulicans need to wake up and help American people by voting for this package...other wise thir numbers will be reduced in the congress during the next mid term elections

February 10, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  4. Vanessa, TX

@anderson..I think a physician needs to make the best judgment when it comes to who they treat. He/she also needs to consider if mom has
    a) financial and family support &
    b) whether or not mom CAN actually is capable of taking care of, not only the new babies, but her other children as well

I'm glad you have Mr Caplan back again I saw the interview you had previously last week

February 10, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  5. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

Well, Darn Randi! I thought you were Erica. No worries, I am a fan of yours too and I agree with the blogger. I really like your hair~do! Very smart

February 10, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  6. Lauren--NY

Well, Anderson, I agree with your ethicist, but in this particular case we're not just dealing with a doctor who chose to treat someone without the financial capabilities to care for her children, but followed guidelines–we're dealing with a doctor who not only did that, he broke with guidelines. Implanting six embryos in a woman under 35–the most fertile age group, which to my understanding means she should not have received more than two–is unethical even if she's the richest woman in the world.

February 10, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  7. Glen Up North

Anderson, that's a no-brainer: doctors are sworn to a Code of Ethics that sustains they must not knowingly cause harm, or engage in manners or practices that may harm patients. Even in "private medicine", the doctor should be obligated to refuse to treat a patient if he feels the treatment requested will harm the patient... or the unborn children of the patient, in this case.

February 10, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  8. Mike, Syracuse NY

Bridget, TX February 10th, 2009 10:38 pm ET
    @JoAnn, why should we care about the GOPs, other than the three who put the american people ahead of the nex election, since they’ve proven they couldn’t care less about anyone but themselves?

You could say the exact same thing about the House Dems who loaded the bill with pet projects without caring what it did to the chances of passing it. Pelosi is the biggest problem in DC right now for bipartisan action.

February 10, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  9. Minou, New York City

Plastic surgeons evaluate their potential patients and then decide whether they'll take on a patient or not... why wouldn't a fertility doctor do that? Doctors have a responsibility not to indulge a patients fixations.

February 10, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  10. Maureen T, Canada

What is happening in Australia? How senseless! My heart goes out to those people!

February 10, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  11. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

Anderson, I agree that a doctor has a responsibility to both the mother and children. As all doctors take an oath before practice, I would argue that this doctor neglected his oath. If a doctor is aware that a parent is unable to care for children, be it for psychological or practical reasons, s/he has an ethical responsibility to withhold fertility treatments.

February 10, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  12. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

This grandmother is just speaking up now? She should have been concerned before this. Didn't she know that her daughter had a mental problem?

February 10, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  13. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

Blessings to those down under! XO's

February 10, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  14. Naissa, Deep in the HEART of Texas

I find it unimaginable that this may all be the work of arson! How can someone who takes pleasure in doing evil things like this sleep at night? I wonder why some humans were even placed on this planet in the first place.

February 10, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  15. Saera El Paso,TX

whatever monstrosity of a human started that fire is complete waste of life

February 10, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  16. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Oh my gosh!!!!! that is so sad for people lost home started wildfires and lost love ones!!!! my hearts goes out to Australia!!!

February 10, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  17. Brian S

Scott:
    Because we only care about fixing the symptoms and not the problems and American's love their instant gratification.

February 10, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  18. Clarence Albuquerque

What tragedy.

February 10, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  19. Ashley - Hamlin, NY

No worries Kaye.

I get absolute chills with Australia's wildfires. I hope that the arsonist is caught and put to justice. The reunition of the mother and father broke my heart. I can't imagine all the grief those families are going through.

February 10, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  20. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Gary always does such a good job with stories like this. I miss seeing him on 360.

February 10, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  21. Gerry in Toronto

Wendy, that lady, Henrietta was given a house to live in by an elected representative from Florida, so the story had a nice ending.

February 10, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  22. Darren

I consider myself an independent. I support action from the government on our current economic crisis. The only balance sheet that works when a deleveraging of this magnitued occures is the goverments balance sheet. The pendulum has swung to the left and its now time for big government action. The republicans have still not learned their lesson from 2006. Partisan politics and strong-handing your own party (Specter, Collins and Snowe) in the middle of a financial crisis will not bring you to a solution that benefits the citizens for whom you work for. This is not the time to make a statement. Either get on board or get out of the way.

February 10, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  23. Isabel Abreu, Brazil

Australia! How sad ... this is really the hell!

February 10, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  24. Matt

I'm beginning to wonder why we think it's ok to judge a woman for having 14 children while we have close to 600 of them running the country.

February 10, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  25. Candace from Canada

God Bless Australia and all the survivors.
    Thoughts and Prayers during this unimaginable difficult time.

February 10, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  26. Bea

Mike, you're right to worry about deficit spending, I just wish republicans had worried about it when they came into office with a huge surplus. Obama has said we can't sustain endless deficit spending so I think you would find you are in agreement on that. Right now, it's necessary.

February 10, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  27. Abayomi, Florida

Pray for those in Australia and those in OK City here.

Natural Disasters are bad enough, but some one to set off a fire like that is ludacris. Prayers for them all.

February 10, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  28. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Mike, Syracuse, Ny, That is what I have been saying. They are treating the symptoms, but ignoring the cause. Once they get used to all that money coming in they won't be able to stop.

February 10, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  29. sherry, northern Calif.

Erica,
    Don't you think the fertility Docs should have some responsiblity or regulations on them for who they are shooting up? At least find out if the woman can support a child. They just want the money, like Banks and Wall St. Our healthcare system is broken because those babies under current law, I beleive are covered with medical in this failing State of Calif.

February 10, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  30. Clarence Albuquerque

Dolly working 9 to five...was once a pain to be tolerated... now I think people would be happy to have a part time paycheck.

February 10, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  31. Lauren--NY

Sorry, Randi! Erica must have left her laptop logged in. Glad to have you! 🙂

February 10, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  32. Lisa L

Good evening Anderson,

Thank you for your report and I understand the bushfires came without any warning.

I am thinking of the people that will need to rebuild their lives, livelihood and homes.

Sincerely,

Lisa L
    Sydney, Australia

February 10, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  33. Jacqui Chan

ridiculous, I understand that parents are upset because he is a role model for young children. -don't think pot is a big deal – drunk driving, putting others at risk is much worse
    I guess he bares some responsibility because he takes on these huge endorsement deals for products children use
    but this is blown way out of proportion and I know its illegal but leave the other 7 alone – really there is more important crimes for the police to solve

February 10, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  34. Isabel Abreu, Brazil

In moments of crisis like the current one, we need to be alert and active to minimize the negative, because in times like this is that the qualities and defects will arise.
    Try to make this crisis differential propulsion to change a valve, make that the quality of their trump card, so that also allows for growth.

February 10, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  35. Esma

I love you, Australia!!! My thoughts and prayers are with you all.

February 10, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  36. karin dicker

re: octo mom she looks like she can afford to have her nose done and her lips plumped. also she was on food stamps while paying loads of money for having the eggs implanted. that costs a lot of money. something is wrong with this picture.

February 10, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  37. ken owen

We have taken the hit on property values and retirement, If banks are having cash flow issues then like consumers they should liquidate assets at market value like consumers take the hit....move on, let the market stabilize, property will sell and we can all go back to work.

February 10, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  38. Renee

@ Kellie: I agree. Too many folks are loosing their homes and too much stress for America. In Florida many banks are doing note modifications for a $200 fee vs. refinancing for more and more fees and a 40 year loan. Most people just need relief vs. foreclosure.

February 10, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  39. Gary

What good is a dollar if it is only worth a penny? Dumping these billions into the economy without production will result in a devaluation of the dollar and hyper inflation. I would like to know what the government will do about that?

February 10, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  40. Wendy Ontario, Canada

I cried when I saw President Obama talking with that woman today, he stopped & took the time to comfort her which is rare in a politician. I hope she gets some help. so sad.

February 10, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  41. anderson cooper

shelley raises a valid question... should a doctor be able to decide who he or she decides to treat? our guest tonite is medical ethicist art caplan.. and i think he will argue that a doctor has a responsibliity to not only the mother but the potential children.. and if he or she knows that mom cant care for them.. then they must act accordingly. .what do you think?

February 10, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  42. Nattada, Houston TX

Selling the bong on Phelp used on E-bay??? Poor Phelp.

Michelle Obama is so good with the kids. She and the kids look so natural and cute. Love it!

February 10, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  43. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

That is so funny caption beat 360!!!!!! Congrats Wyatt and Brooke!!!

February 10, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  44. Lynn from Minnesota

The stimulus (recovery) plan passed in the US Senate 61 to 37 today (making a total of 98). I know one of the out-standing votes is from Minnesota. Does anyone at CNN know who's the remaining Senator that wasn't present when the voting took place?

February 10, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  45. Scott

Why does no one ever expand on the fact that the tax payers eventually have pay back this $800B on top of the current national deficit. Eventually, taxes are going to have to go up or spending will have to go down, or both. At what point will this happen? Why are we so shortsighted?

February 10, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  46. kim-chicago

This is a huge endeavor...give me a break. I think it is prudent not to give the details of this plan until you are sure what the details are.

What a surprise...the republicans were critical.

The market has been so volatile I'm not sure how you can conclude what caused a drop.

February 10, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  47. Bea

The reporters have been so easy on Octo-mom in these interviews. I'm sick of these touchy feely interviews. She's a fraud as is obvious from her lie that she isn't receiving welfare. Her disability claim will be revealed to be a lie too. I hope the government seeks their money back.

February 10, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  48. Missy

Hey, Randi! Thanks for clearing things up. Great to see you!

February 10, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  49. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

Yes... sorry, Randi. Glad to have you with us!

February 10, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  50. Dodie from Irvine, CA

Heather of Ca.

Well we are not supporting 6 children... we are supporting 14 children for the rest of their lives....

February 10, 2009 at 10:40 pm |