February 10th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 2/10/09

Want to share your thoughts on the stories we're covering tonight? You're in the right location. Just scroll down and post your comments. This is where you can "chat" with Anderson during the program.

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Randi Kaye's webcast during the commercials. She's filling in for Erica. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. John

I think Tm did fine Rather have him have a comprehensive plan later thanthrowing money away.

February 10, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  2. Esma

Rihanna is doing the right thing, and it's a very, very difficult thing to have to go through (trust me). More power to her, and I hope the case is strong enough to stick.

February 10, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  3. Maureen T, Canada

Chris Brown is another one of those immature men who doesn't know how to treat women! And for his victim to be Rhianna! I never liked that young man!

February 10, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  4. Melissa, Kalamazoo, MI

I was robbed of the challenge caption...bwahhh i did a don king too

February 10, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  5. Mike, Syracuse NY

We keep hearing Obama and other Dems say this bill is flawed, so why don't they take the time to fix it? Yes we are losing 19,000 jobs a day. However the vast majority of this spending won't happen until next fiscal year (starting in Oct.). A few days to get it right won't matter.

February 10, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  6. george newyork

Michelle brown of la.. it's because the news doesnt tell you the republicans had an alternative which would have gave the lower class a tax break not the rich and would of spent double what the dems do on inferstructure so dont say they dont want anything but tax breaks for the rich

February 10, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  7. Lorna

Oh, I liked Beat360 today! Really funny questions. 🙂

February 10, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  8. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

@Randi: "Can't believe the guy tried to sell it on E-bay?" Well, I would considering the economy woes of late.... 😉

February 10, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  9. Naissa, Deep in the HEART of Texas

I have a dear friend who has been affected by these Australia fires. She is absolutely in shock and devastated. My thoughts and prayers are with our Aussie friends.

February 10, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  10. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

Really cute beat 360!

February 10, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  11. Lori from IL

Thanks for showing Mrs. Obama interacting with the kids. We need lighthearted shots these days. Loved seeing the kids hugging her -

February 10, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  12. Bridget, TX

@JoAnn, why should we care about the GOPs, other than the three who put the american people ahead of the nex election, since they've proven they couldn't care less about anyone but themselves?

February 10, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  13. Jasmine-Spokane,WA

Brown Bear Brown Bear! The best book eva!!!!

February 10, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  14. Lorna

Hi Randy! We love you just like we love Erica, so the confusion doesn't really make a difference.

Those little girls were so cute and innocent! I couldn't stop laughing when the First Lady said, "No, no, he lives with me."

February 10, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  15. Isabel Abreu, Brazil

This is a crisis .... sell the bong on Ebay.

February 10, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  16. Jody Scott-Olson

Was the guy selling the bong on Ebay a former govenor?

February 10, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  17. Bea

Domestic violence is at an epidemic in this country,. Brown needs to face the music. First offense, he'll get a light sentence, probably probation, but he doesn't "own "his girlfriend. He needs to learn that lesson.

February 10, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  18. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Ouch Randi!!!!
    Sorry...... I thought Erica posted instead you!!!! OOOPS!!!!!

February 10, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  19. Genevieve M, TX

Re: "Octo-Mom"

That woman is crazy!! I am almost the same age as she is and I would never consider having a litter of children! All she is needs to do is pop out one more litter of 5 to beat the Duggars.

Her uterus is now officially a clown car.

February 10, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  20. Mike, Syracuse NY

I'm wondering that once we get all this government spending started, once things recover, how do we get them to stop? Name a program that ever seems to go away, even after the need for it does. This level of deficit spending can become addictive.

February 10, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  21. Jane

This Mom clearly needs help, her mother should recognize this. How normal can she be? Unfortunately the grandma will be called upon to hold the family together, those innocent lives deserve care, no matter how much we disagree with what their mother did.

February 10, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  22. lisaonline

you know, if they laid out a very specific plan, there will STILL be disagreement. no matter what, it is part of the process.

the weeks pass, and people seem to make issues out of things that are not part of the core issue. the more time that passes, the worse it gets, eh. action. that is what is required. not disagreements and holdups.

February 10, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  23. Cheryl K. Sask Canada

Hi Anderson and bloggers,
    Glad to see the Senate pass the stimulus package. Hope it helps those people who really need assistance. Things need to get moving along!

February 10, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  24. Naissa, Deep in the HEART of Texas

Randi, I love, love, love your hair! It always looks so shiny and sleek!

February 10, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  25. Bridget, TX

@SteveM. unfortunately, it is obvious the gops and Pelosi believe the crisis is President Obama and those suffering problems and not theirs.

February 10, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  26. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Awesome discussion tonight on the part of the panel! Not that I expected any different!

Ashley, it does present quite a visual...but you have to admit it makes you chuckle! 🙂 And it would almost be worth the extra work on the part of the congressmen and women

Brown Bear, Brown Bear What Do You See?...I love that book!

February 10, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  27. Maureen T, Canada

I love to see Michelle Obama with those young children. Out of the mouthes of babes! I love it! The Obamas are such compassionate people!

February 10, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  28. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA

WOW! Randi!! Very cute and stylish hair cut!! YOU GO!!

February 10, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  29. S Snyder

How does this mother of now 14 children, on food stamps come up with the money to have this procedure? What responsible doctor would participate in this? Did you also notice her nice sculptured nails...

February 10, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  30. Clarence Albuquerque

Mrs Obama seems to be getting more attention from the kids than the president with senators/representatives.

February 10, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  31. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

I think in this case, bi-partisanship is just going to have to take a back-seat to practicality. We're talking about the economic future of our country here, While there are always at least two points of view, they're not always equally valid.

February 10, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  32. Tracey

Good evening all...

Erica, I think Octo Mum is for the birds! The elevator is definitely not going all the way to the top... Who in their right mind would even consider giving her IVF is beyond me.

Let's hope the babies have some kind of decent life...they're the innocent ones in all this.

February 10, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  33. Esma

Sorry, Randi, but admittedly you look alot like Erica tonight! You rock too!!!

February 10, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  34. Candace from Canada

Wow – should be interesting if Michael Phelps gets charged. I don't know why they are making a big issue out of it. When other Celebs get caught smoking dope there isn't arrests all around.

Obviously my liberal thoughts are not to be judged as a moral compass for the masses. 🙂

As for Octuplet woman that has an uncanny resemblance to Angelina Jolie. I think she should be drug tested as she must have been smoking something! 😉

February 10, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  35. Naissa, Deep in the HEART of Texas

LOL, yes, you had all of us confused Randi! We forgive you! 🙂

Those kids with Michelle are so adorable!

February 10, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  36. Vanessa, TX

aww.kids do say the darnedest things...my 5 yr old would have asked if he can race his monster truck on the white house bowling alley..lol he sz it will go faster

February 10, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  37. vanessa from silver spring, MD

Geithner has no confidence when he speaks, frankly no one in the administration except the President has confidence when they speak. President Obama can't be the only one out there selling this plan, he's gonna need arms and legs.

February 10, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  38. Lorna

Glen: there are a lot large firms that have announced a reduction of the staff by 10-15%. When a company has 200,000 in its staff, 10-15% is pretty large. Not to mention that large companies (e.g. Circuit City etc) are going into bankruptcy or liquidation.

February 10, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  39. Naissa, Deep in the HEART of Texas

I am still saddened y the Rihanna/Chris Brown incident. I am a fan of both, and I LOVE Rihanna, so the fact that she was roughed up to that extent REALLY angers me. Domestic violence is something that I loathe beyond belief. Chris Brown has lost any respect as an artist that i ever had for him.

February 10, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  40. Michelle

Please stop giving the octuplet mom the
    publicity she craves. This is what it is all
    about.

February 10, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  41. Robert - Jakarta

Du'h... market is down because economy is down. Has nothing to do with "stimulus"

you don't end up with the "d" word because congress couldn't give enough "tax breaks"

February 10, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  42. ericacnn

hi everybody.. sorry for any confusion.. i saw some of your emails..
    it is me.. Randi Kaye.. Erica is off tonight.. thought my little icon would show up but it didn't.. oh well.. gotta love technology.. stick around for my octo-mom story.. and how cute were those kids iwth michelle obama.. where's the president??? cracked me up!! kids!!
    and thanks for all your feedback on octo-mom.. such a crazy story.

February 10, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  43. Minou, New York City

Octo-mom doesn't have the funds to take car of her 14 children. looks like the system will take the kids away from her soon..

February 10, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  44. Apple, NJ

Can we see more in-depth report of the Australian fire? I'd really like to see more outside of the U.S. these days.

February 10, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  45. Heather,ca

I just love knowing that I'm helping to support six kids along with everyone else in California. Just great.

February 10, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  46. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

I agree with David Gergen. Geitner needed to show us today his economic expertise. I did not see that at all. It definitely didn't help in the "confidence" department for me.....

February 10, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  47. Melissa, Kalamazoo, MI

The thing that gets me is no one reports on the number of people who are not counted as unemployed because they are not drawing unemployment benefits ....because they have exhausted them. It should be a priority to help the uncounted, the ones who are overlooked, get benefits out to them, these are the people losing their homes, cars, everything.

February 10, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  48. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Gergen is right. They need an economic spokesman, one that can explain to the American people how they will benefit from this or any plan presented to help the economy. Obama has been unable to do that. It also needs to be a truly bipartisan effort, not just three Republicans.

February 10, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  49. karen

Business gossip that is going around-the stimulus bill has business credits for new employees. If business fires their current employees, then rehires after the bill passes-they will receive 3-5 thou per employee. Wondering if there will be a "look-back" period of number of employees, so business will only get credit for a larger workforce than before layoffs and not just for firing and rehiring. Gossip is that a business can put themselves in a better competitive position than the employers that kept their employees and continued paying them. Would love to know, could explain some unusual activity in the business world.

February 10, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  50. Bea

Michelle Obama with the kids. Very cute.

February 10, 2009 at 10:32 pm |