February 10th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 2/10/09

Want to share your thoughts on the stories we're covering tonight? You're in the right location. Just scroll down and post your comments. This is where you can "chat" with Anderson during the program.

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Randi Kaye's webcast during the commercials. She's filling in for Erica. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Michelle

Wether or not Geithner will be successful can
    not be measured in one day. Let's see where
    the market is at the end of the week.

February 10, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  2. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA

@Mike, Syracuse......Obviously, you're starting to find my Republican traits (I was Rep, changed to Dem and now Independent). 🙂

February 10, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  3. Glen Up North

Steve D., if small corporations and businesses create jobs, then where are last month's 600,000 job losses, and those from the month before, coming from?

February 10, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  4. Lorna

Wow, it's so interesting that here at my home, we were just discussing Geithner's image and confidence. I completely agree with what Mr. Gergen just said (unsurprisingly). But who could be another spokesperson for the Treasury and that part of the Administration?

February 10, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  5. Ashley - Hamlin, NY

Nattada – No worries. I'm here to help.

Rikki – Congress group hug? Oh, the visual...they'd have to have a roll call and a special committee to decide how long the hug would last, if there'd be patting/squeezing, and who hugs first.

February 10, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  6. Nina

John... that's what i think... lol

February 10, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  7. Gary

Unfortunately we will have to wait until after the mid-term elections to get impeachment proceedings started to get Obama and his socialist friends out.

February 10, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  8. Jasmine-Spokane,WA

I think the Dems and the GOP need to play a good game of dodgeball to get it that they need to put aside petty differences and work with the important differences in ideals.

February 10, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  9. Jane

They should come up with a plan and quit whining about what happened in the past, now is the time to solve this problem. The administration should let others decide who is to blame for all this mess, their duty right now is to get us to safety.

February 10, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  10. Isabel Abreu, Brazil

Anderson and David,

The package of $ 2 trillion to rescue the financial sector could double the American public deficit of 3.5% of GDP for something around 7%.

This is fact? What are the direct consequences for the people?

February 10, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  11. Terry McGraw

Anderson, please report on how we as americans feel when our
    senators that dont agree with each other are being so disrespectul to our President. Disagree, but, do it with respect because the whole world is watching what is gong on. If we treat each other like our leaders are doing, how can we negotiate with other leaders around the world. I am fed up with the bickering. I hope that when those senators that are acting like that get a big blow when their elections come up. Hopefully, they will lose ther job. We all know that something has to be done. This situation is scary and people are worried.

February 10, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  12. Naissa, Deep in the HEART of Texas

@ Maureen- EXACTLY! Angelina Jolie has what she needs financially to support her growing family. This Octo-FrankenMom doesn't! GRR!

February 10, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  13. Jody Scott-Olson

I wonder how many families who had multiples could have financially made it without financial support. John & Kate plus eight...because they were employed its less of an issue and should be yet...how well would they have done completely on their own. Doesn't the real ethical question extend to them too?

February 10, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  14. Glen Up North

Rani, that's a tough call. Traditionally, bankruptcy timelines aren't set in place to punish people, they're to help people avoid the same problems that got them into bankruptcy in the first place. If a case could be made that bankruptcy was caused by the economic situation and not by bad spending/saving choices... it would still be difficult to discern who would not have eventually gone bankrupt, had the economy stayed sound.

February 10, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  15. Kellie Risso

Hi Renee

In California it will help! Lots of folks sell a loan before the 30 is due, its a quick fix and it may stabilize the market here. Its an idea. I just see alot of people homeless, its not right!

February 10, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  16. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

"If" is a big word. There are a lot of "ifs" in Ali's statement. The market is down because there is no confidence in the stimulus package.

February 10, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  17. Mary

I think that in tough times like this there is no way to give the public news about something that is extremely difficult to understand how it helps them and their family. Thankfully that is what you guys are for. Thanks.

February 10, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  18. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

@Ashley~Octo Mom does not sound like a hero to me. More like an octopus. Rightly so to~

February 10, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  19. Heather,ca

These bankers just don't care. They know they have contracts that are legally binding when it comes to compensation and bonuses. They could care less about our tax money being used for them. If the companies were smart which they obviously are not they would have found a way out. But they didn't. There is no shame in this country anymore. The thing is a mess and we end up paying for that.

February 10, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  20. Dave

I am so impressed by the fact that the audience in Ft. Myers was not "screened" as were the fiascos sponsored by the former president. I'm certain that even with hard days ahead our President is going to lead us out of the quagmire that has been created.

February 10, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  21. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Pamela...I agree we all just need to get along! Group hug!...Maybe congress needs a daily group hug!

February 10, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  22. Jacqui Chan

for whatever personal reason (of which I am unaware) I do not empathize with "tax payers" in situations such as the octuplets rather I empathize with their grandmother who know bears this huge responsibility and for those children. And all 14 of those babies and young children who may never have the love, attention and daily needs they require. These 8 infants were prematurely very small, I am sure we all hope they do not suffer any long term physical or mental defects.

February 10, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  23. Dan Montani

Mr. Cooper,
    By rewinding and showing President Obama hugging that woman in Florida unscripted, you allowed us a rare peek into his true character. To believe we have a leader with so much compassion and love for others in itself is an inspiration to keep pushing ahead each day. Thank you Mr. Cooper, and thank you Mr. President for being so caring and kind.

February 10, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  24. Bea

I'm willing to bet Geithner is not as smart as is claimed. the taxes thing was the tip of the iceberg. Larry Summers is smarter but lacks common sense. (His moronic comments at Harvard.) Still, together they'll be ok.

February 10, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  25. Tom M - NYC

I would ask the CNN panel how Obama's "on the road" speeches will directly influence passage of the bill. Do people really act that quickly to call their representative in congress?

February 10, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  26. Stephen Mial

Anderson

Why pray teel does the phase "along Party lines" have a place in any discussions around a solutions which isaround resolving a national crisis involving or national economy? The ressesssion/depression does not discriminate against Dems versus GOP!!!!

Steve M
    Clifton, VA

February 10, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  27. Steve D.

As we have proven in past recessions large government spending is not the answer. I can't believe we are going to pass this so called plan. This won't create long-term jobs. Small companies and corporations create jobs not the government. This is a sad day in our history.

February 10, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  28. Jasmine-Spokane,WA

Congressional Leaders need to keep working! They know for a fact that the public is not happy with this plan nor how the whole deal has played out. those three republicans need to work together to get some other parties on board. It disgusts me to see one side reaching out while the other sits there....staring.

February 10, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  29. Rich Armstrong

Lets see now, wouldnt it make sense if this stimulus joke made sense???
    hey lets keep bailing out the same creeps over and over again,,instead of bailing out those of us who are out of work(myself i am employed)by either doubling income tax retruns or work something out to stable industry,,, see ,if people are out of work,then they cant pay income tax,and without income tax the looser on capitol hill cant pay the finacail idiots and it alllll goes up in smoke.
    so wouldnt it make sense to help the lil guy and gal instead of helping the same ones over and over again(thats insanity).l
    I truly belive obama might not have been the right choice for 1600 penn ave..

February 10, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  30. Tami Bronke Normal, Illinois

Anderson,
    We hope the stimulus package will not go through! Middle-income families know it has nothing for us. We are the ones who pay our taxes, put our kids through college, pay for our health care and insurance, and try to budget from month to month. The stimulus package will not help middle income families with college loans, medical care costs, cost of living, or the use of our money in the bank bailouts. A $1,000 dollars spread out in our checks and taxed – will buy us a large pizza every two weeks.

February 10, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  31. Nattada, Houston TX

Ashley – Hamlin, NY, thank you for the lady's name .
    ( I am not American, I catched only first 2 word as Henry :P)

February 10, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  32. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA

OK, somebody help here. You can't possible (charge) or prosecute somebody because of a picture of you doing something that MIGHT be illegal? You have to have evidence–like catching the person in the act, right. This is just hogwash. And, Jo Ann is right, A-Rod gets away with barely anybody noticing and Michael Phelps gets hammered?

February 10, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  33. Mike, Syracuse NY

Hopefully this closed door meeting will beat some sense into Pelosi. She can't try to put back all that pork again.

February 10, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  34. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Obama better get Nancy's permission before he makes a move or there will be hell to pay.

February 10, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  35. Glen Up North

Jo Ann, my cynical side says all Wall Street wants is free money... especially after that last TARP occurence. If they see the least string attached, it seems they're ready to say "That's no good..." And here I am thinking, "Yeah, W.S. wants the U.S. to throw $.$. into a system that's all hypothetical..." Well, I'll truncate the last two letters. 😉

February 10, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  36. Ashley - Hamlin, NY

Octo-Mom? Not a fan of the nickname. It makes her sound like a superhero...and she is far from that. She already has six kids, one who is autistic, and she implanted way too many embryos (personally, I think she should have been satisfied with the six she had) into her, especially for her age. She isn't a mother. She is collecting kids. She intentionally put eight babies in danger with underdeveloped lungs, hearts, and other organs. Did you see how tiny these babies are? She is not a mother. She's a monster.

February 10, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  37. Russell from Portland

Senate passes stimulus package same day SI Swimsuit issue goes on the newstand. Coincidence, I think not. Too bad at opening bell even Swimsuit models there could not make the market go up.

February 10, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  38. Isabel Abreu, Brazil

If President Obama solves the crisis, many Republicans do not return in 2010. The only hope the crisis would avenge. We must be noted that opposition to a president popular in their own country is difficult, now imagine a president supported by the world. But nothing justifies the lack of patriotism.

February 10, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  39. vanessa from silver spring, MD

Michelle

It is a real shame about Chris Brown. He is
    a real talent and he just blew it all.

It is, if it's true.

February 10, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  40. David, Indiana

Tom Foreman thanks for the outline of the Treas. Sec's refinements to TARP as it stands so far. I sort of get the private public partnership idea. How it works in more detail maybe needed. Maybe will take minute for it to sink in with the market? Taking a while for it to sink in with me.

I know the first half of TARP is unpopular, but it did arrest a market slide. The stock market seems to have trouble keeping momentum going in a turnaround.

Megan, yes that was good news about the stimulus you made me laugh, thanks.

February 10, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  41. Michelle Brown in Los Angeles - Love Obama

I keep reading the critics of the stimulus plan complain, however, they have not offered any real fixes. Tax breaks for the rich have not fixed a darn thang, It only lead to more greed.

How do the Senators get paid? Maybe we should hold the Republicans pay (since they are so against the simulus) until the economy is back on track, so they can get a taste of what it is like not to get a paycheck and worry about paying your bills, maintain your excellent credit record, feed, clothe, and house your family.

February 10, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  42. george newyork

Too all of you obama supporters i'm so sick of him blaming bush he was in the senate for 4 yrs and he passed the spending bills with his other democrates

February 10, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  43. Bridget, TX

@colleen from canada, ICAM! It's wonderful to have a caring, smart president who is trying to get us out of this mess.

The country is on life support and we can only hope the president and the administration will turn this around for the majority.

However, while we are on life support it is a great feeling knowing the man in charge of our survival actually cares if we live or die.

February 10, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  44. Jody Scott-Olson

John,
    Obama doesn't need to create situations to prove he's a great guy because he is a great guy! I love the way he smiles at his wife.

February 10, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  45. Maureen T, Canada

The difference with this mother of 14 children and Angelina is that Angelina has the means to take care of all of her children.

February 10, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  46. Lauren--NY

Hey! Erica! Are you blogging from home? So cool to have you with us. I didn't expect it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad you got the scoop and all...but I don't know how thrilled I am at all the press this woman is getting. I find myself hoping she'll get a TV gig or a book deal for the sake of the kids, but it irritates me to no end that she can act so irresponsibly and be rewarded for it.

Anderson, thanks for finally saying "more money we don't have"...that's the weirdest part about this for me. We have such a deficit, this isn't even our money we're debating about–it's probably China's and Saudi Arabia's money.

February 10, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  47. Lora from NC

Hi Anderson! Good show! I watched the coverage of President Obama in FL and First Lady Obama in DC.You have to admit they are both very cordial and seem to genuinely care about people. I think he is gonna do just fine!

February 10, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  48. Renee

@ Kellie: 40 year mortgages got lots of folks in FL in big trouble ie: many foreclosures. The problem is folks buy TOO much of a home they can not afford. Then the taxes go up and the HO insurance goes up 25% in a year and it is a bad circle. 40 years to pay for a house is just too long.

February 10, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  49. Rani Hussami

Would the Goverment help people that filed for bankruptcy?Have it discharged in 3 years versus 10. It would help consumers have buying power!!!
    Going bankrupt due to the economy, It wasn't my fault. Not asking for bailout money, just asking for bankruptcy discharge bailout!

February 10, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  50. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I have tell you what........ my grandfather have 5 brothers and 6 six sisters in my mom family side...... she show me old picture with great grandparents...... that is so huge I have! 😀

February 10, 2009 at 10:25 pm |