February 10th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 2/10/09

Want to share your thoughts on the stories we're covering tonight? You're in the right location. Just scroll down and post your comments. This is where you can "chat" with Anderson during the program.

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Randi Kaye's webcast during the commercials. She's filling in for Erica. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Geithner has no real plan or he would have presented it today.

February 10, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  2. biba

BOnsoir Erica! It's nice to see you here tonight!

February 10, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  3. Tom Kendall

Anderson,
    It's hard to believe you would have something that says Gaithner is "keeping them honest". You and CNN must be kidding. Gaithner wasn't honest with his own taxes. How could he keep others honest. What a joke!

February 10, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  4. Mike, Syracuse NY

CaseyJ – Palm Springs, CA February 10th, 2009 10:19 pm ET
    Erica-this octuplet mother needs to be sterilized

CaseyJ, I agree. Too bad it can't be retroactive. The worst part is that the 'dumb' genes have now been passed to 14 more people. At this rate in 2 generations the avergae IQ will be 6.

February 10, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  5. Nattada, Houston TX

Glen Up north, your comment about Joe the Plumber can't get pregnant give me a good giggles!!

Hi Erica!! I know people are upset about the octo-mom. But what happened happen. We can't let the babies be without help. I hope, at least, the babies will grow up to not be as insane as the mother.

February 10, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  6. Shelley from Seattle

Hi all, In our uncertain economy...I think these town meetings Obama is doing is extremely helpful. It keeps people aware of what is happening and gives each of us a bit of hope.

February 10, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  7. jeff meisberger

why could nt the goverment give tax payers a million dollars apiece to start stimulate at the bottom

February 10, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  8. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

@Pamela~yeah, Jack Gray pointed out the octs mom looks like Angelina in the face. ERIE! But, Angelina adopts and has the means. Ya know what I mean?

February 10, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  9. SANDRA

i feel blessed that i have what i have there are some who are really in bad shape. some can rant on about the plan and the size of the monies we need to help the people of AMERICA and get the people back to work .I am not surprise that the gop are kicking up their dirt laundry BUSH and CHENEY they got away with murder and are scott free to retires. i hope some one gets them real soon.

February 10, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  10. Glen Up North

Colleen, your words echo my thoughts right now. How grateful I would be to have a national leader who actually _acknowledges_ there is an economic crisis (which ours denied during our elections last year), and _really_ wants to listen to, and help, the common person!

February 10, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  11. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA

"I’d like to believe that the people in the audience were genuine, but Obama’s campaign was so slick that now I feel like he is trying to manipulate the American people any way that he can."

You can' get people to interact with you as the President unless they feel comfortable–it's just too nerve-racking for the average person unless they are genuinely comfortable. I think the public perceives him as since and authentic with an ability to interact at the level of an "average" person.

February 10, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  12. shelley

Asking whether the octuplet doctor should have helped the mom –when he knew that she is struggling with her six other kids– is absurd. Do we really want doctors deciding which patients deserve treatment and which do not?

February 10, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  13. Robert - Jakarta

Octomom... oh, snap! All of her chilin's were IVF from the same "father" (who, as it turns out doesn't want anything to do with them). And her "plan" to get a master's degree in order to "provide" for her kids? WWSS? (What Would Suze Say)

February 10, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  14. Michelle

It is a real shame about Chris Brown. He is
    a real talent and he just blew it all.

February 10, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  15. Isabel Abreu, Brazil

Tim Geithner ... will enter the story, or as a savior of the country or as executioner!

February 10, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  16. vanessa from silver spring, MD

WOW! That young child asked First Lady Obama does her husband live with her? HA!

February 10, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  17. Ashley - Hamlin, NY

I can't help it. I really can't. I try to be objective, but as soon as I see Mrs. Obama cuddling those kids I get the warm and fuzzies. She seems like such an amazing person.

February 10, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  18. Melissa, Kalamazoo, MI

Erica....

The whole octo-mom drama is makes me sick. These babies did not ask to be born into this situation. I bet you Social Services will be all over her now. She should not recieve sponsorships or money as I believe this was the motive behind her having a multiples birth. The attention and praise it brings. Those poor babies.

February 10, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  19. Abayomi, Florida

The Octuplet Mum, should really be evaluated, for help...apart from the Children Obession....

Did she have a face job, to look like Angelina or what, can that be Investigated or was she born like that?

She will be probably be in line, for the 'TARP' next. good Lord.

February 10, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  20. Cessy, Chicago

Hello! Anderson and Erica-

Do we really have to talk about the woman who had eight kids? I would rather see The AC360 dance tonight–for real!

February 10, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  21. Jody Scott-Olson

Babies shouldn't suffer because Octo -Mom is incompentent.

February 10, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  22. Jasmine-Spokane,WA

CaseyJ- I haven't even thought about that! 🙂 that would actually work for more people than just her.....

February 10, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  23. John

Does anyone think that Mrs. Hughes was placed there purposely to try and show his compassion, because I do? Just another media softball pitch being teed-up to this president to show how he's such a great guy. Give me a break!

February 10, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  24. Tom M - NYC

Geithner helps his cause by opening his palm when gesturing to the panel, creating a genuine warmth (like shaking hands) - even though the news is not what we care to hear. I give him credit for his direct approach.

February 10, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  25. Dave Abq,NM

Why are we giving the same things to the same people and hoping for different results? People need help now. Not $25.00 a week to run their car a extra hour to keep warm. Nor $500.00 OR $1000.00 rebates. Obama said he would help from the bottom up broken campaign promises already and I voted for him. I say no to this stimulesssss! It has no quick help for those who need it now.

February 10, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  26. Lorna

Of course, Geithner would be vague on toxic assets. Banks don't even know their value!

February 10, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  27. Mary

Those 14 children need someone to look out for them. I am not sure you can call the person who helped her in her quest for fame and fortune on the backs of those babies a doctor. That is just so wrong. What is the doctor gaining from this? Who is paying his/her/ bill?

February 10, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  28. Robert - Jakarta

Octo-Mom... I like it... it's sounds like a superhero, except one without a conscience.

What I'm waiting to hear is details about her other 6 kids. Were those IVF?

February 10, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  29. rejay

Simplest way to resolve public debate on the stimulus plan. President should have shown a pie chart of the 800 bil on tv not the web

what does a pie chart of the money that will be spent

February 10, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  30. george newyork

Who do you thinks going to end up paying for this money doesn't grow on trees we all are in for higher taxes

February 10, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  31. Ron Wisconsin Dells

Hi Hope you all are doin good.I just would like to say thanks for the stimulus bill being passed Im an out of work painter and father of 3 and hope we can turn this economy around so I can take care of my family,We are having a very hard time making ends meet and I am very sad for my family right now,Its like what am I going to do .I have never asked for help before but now Im just stuck and depressed.Is there any advise you can give me Thanks so much and god bless you,Really

February 10, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  32. Michelle Fonthill,Ont

Sorry Erica I posted earlier to say hi to Randi Kaye instead of you I don't want to offend you I'm gald your here tonight ! Anderson can't do the program without you !

February 10, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  33. Michelle

So Wall St is upset that the banks we have
    to open their books?

February 10, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  34. vanessa from silver spring, MD

Lori from IL

Is it just me or is there no Webcast tonight?

It's not just you, I can't get it either.

February 10, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  35. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

How could anyone expect Wall Street to get excited over something so speculative as Geithner's package. They can't just take his word for it without any details. After all he isn't exactly trustworthy. He doesn't even have a housing plan yet!

February 10, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  36. Louise Atlanta, GA

We need to rally behind and support our President. How can one person be expected to take on all these issues. It also seems that ppl are not giving him enough time...he has been pres for a few weeks. I can't belive the repulicans all no so fiscally conservative. Work with him not against him....

February 10, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  37. Orrin

I have a question for Ali Velshi. There was so much anticipation in the market regarding some accounting rule changes dealing with the Mark-to-Market rule. Are there any developments on that front or is that issue dead now?

February 10, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  38. Kellie Risso

How about a 40 year mortgage instead of a 30? Canada market doing very well with this. I believe it will end this mess very fast!

February 10, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  39. Minou, New York City

hi Erica, hope you're well... I think the octo-mom has big psychological problems, and she's been surrounded by enablers. It also looks like she's trying to look like Angelina Jolie with all that plastic surgery she had done to her face. I really think she has problems that need to be handled by a professional... poor babies!

February 10, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  40. Naissa, Deep in the HEART of Texas

@ Erica- I think that the wannabe Angelina Jolie mother is selfish beyond belief! I live in a three bedroom house with my sister, mother, and brother. I can imagine what kind of living conditions her poor kids are living in right now. It's not civil or humane for someone to breed like that. She makes me cringe with anger!

And for crying out loud, people are really taking this MIchale Phelps thing WAY too far!

February 10, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  41. Jasmine-Spokane,WA

Oh meine gute! That octuplet mother is a ......i don't even know what to call her. it's like that saying your parents always say, "eat your food, there's chidren who are starving." I can't imagine the stack of money it's going to cost. 😦

February 10, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  42. Isabel Abreu, Brazil

Similar to a family budget, a country needs balance its budget and adjust your spending pattern to availability. Also, should try and be a debt fund or reserve for times of need.

February 10, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  43. holly, overland park , ks

id have liked to have 5 kids, but good golly, you best take care of the ones you have first, without relying on welfare..on a whim of wanting family because she grew up as a only child?
    the obvious plastic surgery on her face, to the french tipped manicure, does nottt make me think she ma walton.

February 10, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  44. Pam

Much has been said today about the market reaction to the lack of detail in the Treasury Secy plans...To what extent do you think that this reaction is not "main Street" reaction as much as "wall street" continued manipulation of the market for gains in the long term?

February 10, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  45. Pamela

Has anyone noticed how Octo-mom looks like and has the baby obsession as Angelina-pitt mom?

February 10, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  46. Isabel Abreu, Brazil

@ Glen,

I also wish a strong economy and a more secure future for all.

February 10, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  47. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

@Randi (who posted as Erica): I actually feel sorry for the babies in all this OctoMom mess. I'm sure there is a lot more to this story than meets the eye but it seems to me we are getting conflicting information which just makes the story that much more frustrating....

February 10, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  48. Michelle

You have got to be kidding about the arrests
    in relationship to the pot smoking involving
    Michael Phelps.

February 10, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  49. Bridget, TX

I'm disappointed Geithner didn't follow up with P. Obama's big thunder last night. Don't understand, why he was lukewarm with very little meat.

Love the exchange between our president and the poor lady, who is really a reflection of so many americans, unfortunately.

February 10, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  50. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA

Erica-this octuplet mother needs to be sterilized. She's delusional and grossly irresponsible, to say the least. I am annoyed that 360 (for example) keeps giving her more attention. That just fuels her irrational posturing and ridiculous behavior. She's living in some fantasy world. If I was the mother, I'd be gone in 60 seconds.

February 10, 2009 at 10:19 pm |