February 10th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 2/10/09

Want to share your thoughts on the stories we're covering tonight? You're in the right location. Just scroll down and post your comments. This is where you can "chat" with Anderson during the program.

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Randi Kaye's webcast during the commercials. She's filling in for Erica. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Dulcie - Denver

I'm sorry, but the Octuplet Mom disgusts me. I have friends who have been trying for years for a baby and for a woman to do this crazy thing throws a shadow on them all.

The simple answer is she's nuts, but she's making all of us pay for her insanity. Not to mention those poor children It would be hard for a two parent household to care for 14 children, all so young.

February 10, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  2. Vanessa, TX

oh my goodness..My thoughts & prayers are with people in australia..
    As for Octo-Mom..I knew it..she is on welfare an shes gonna continue on welfare...

February 10, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  3. Michelle Fonthill,Ont

That mothe whoi had the octuplets is crazy .I can sympathize with her for wanting kids but really couldn't she have just gotton married had babies without having tp resort to this exterme ? Who is filing charges against the doctor ? I hope he doesn't do this again to someone else.

February 10, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  4. Isabel Abreu, Brazil

@ Glen,

I also wish a strong economy and a more secure future for all.

I am in a deadlock economic/professional, and with my possible change in stand by, because of the crisis.

February 10, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  5. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Hey Erica! I must say the more I learn about this mom of octuplets the more I shake my head. Why, if you cannot support the kids you already have without public assistance, would you take extensive measures to have more kids?

February 10, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  6. Kathy

I went from riches to rags so have a headstart on the pain many of my fellow Americans are going through. Last week my neighbor who lives in a storage building came asking to rake my yard in the dead of winter when it was 19 degrees outside in Alabama. I had no cash to pay him, but it turned out he was hungry. I had only a few groceries myself, but went to my kitchen and pulled out half of what I had to share with this cold, lonely soul. I would have asked them to come in, but am not able to pay for heat in my own home except for the room I work and sleep in. If we can just help our fellow men with a can of food, a smile, a hug, share tears and remember we are all Americans and we will make it through this. We cannot depend on government to fix it, but we can do it ourselves working together. God bless our great America. We must care enough to remain the land of the free.

February 10, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  7. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Vanessa in Silver Springs, MD, Obviously it did to me.

February 10, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  8. Demetra

Dear AC,
    One of your reporters just said that the economy will not recover quickly enough if the American people are not more confident, and, therefore, willing to spend. Are you guys in the real world? We are not spending NOT because we are in a bad mood. We are not spending because we do not have jobs! Get it?

February 10, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  9. Lori from IL

Is it just me or is there no Webcast tonight?

February 10, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  10. steve

how is it that the new regime has said it inherited this economic problem. havent most of them been involved in government for several years. it seems excuses are being made just in case progress is not made

February 10, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  11. Ashley - Hamlin, NY

Nattada – Henrietta Hughes. I am not sure about the spelling, but there is a town called Henrietta nearby.

February 10, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  12. Susie

Regarding the woman and all the babies. You all should really be going after the fertility clinic. All the sensationalilzing can be harmful to the couples going through the pain of fertilitly treatment. What the doctors (if they are docs) did to that woman put nine immediate lives at risk. But it also hurt the lives of so many others struggling to have babies of their own, living with the sensationalizing of all of this. Couples going through this kind of experience could learn through a show like yours that there are safe choices, good doctors, better clinics and specialists. Let your listeners know another side.

13. george

Why are you ppl so happy to have the govt control your health care that you have done its in the stimilus?

14. Abayomi, Florida

Tim G. is just a the messanger trying to repair the 'state of near doom' we are in. We can't expect him to be MOSES, or Split the Red Sea. I believe everything takes a while...so this is could be great, that the Market just didn't jump at the voice of Tim.

They just got in the Office, so to even say that there will be a transparency of all this Second Money, will help than the first that went arrey. This will be Better.

15. colleen from canada

No matter what happens to the economy, I think all Americans are so lucky to have a smart, caring, and thoughtful President. I hope people do not expect he can solve all the economic problems and just be greatful that he surronds himself with excellent people, takes their advice, and hopefully some of the recovery package will take hold.

16. Jody Scott-Olson

I'm afraid Octo-mom's poor choices will lead to the division of her family and the babies. I gave serious thought today on how you could reach out and help her babies without supporting her irresponsible behavior.

17. Maureen T, Canada

Anderson,
    great to see Ali Velshi looking a little more casual but still as serious as ever!

18. Nick

Hi Anderson,
    Looks like Nancy and the other dems are already trying to destroy the stim bill. I actually thought the 15K tax credit for home buyers was a smart move. Now the latest news says they are going to drop it in favor of another non-stimulus liberal policy. Good grief! Wonder if the three republicans who voted for it will withdraw their vote?

19. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

Good evening Erica! Good to see you! You are missed when you are gone!The octuplets Mom is well, loco.
    I really feel bad about the fires down under. I saw a pic of a firefighter giving water to a koala! Very touching~

20. angela

if you have food, you have shelter, you have health, quit whining. Everyone goes through income fluctuations, I cant believe that guy was complaing to Obama about his income reduction, deal with it, it's called life.

21. Ten Little Indians

YOURE DOING A HECKUVA JOB, TIMMY!

Tim Geithner is one charismatic guy and I am glad Obama didnt steal his thunder!

22. Ashley - Hamlin, NY

Good evening Cooper, Kaye, Hill (in spirit), Gergen, correspondents, contributers, staff, team, crew, and bloggers such as Rikki, Glen, Megan, Chris, EJ….and all others, especially the newbies!

Wait...Hill...I thought you were on vacation? Did Coop send out the Bat signal?

23. Michelle Brown in Los Angeles - Love Obama

Thats the president that I voted for; I love that man! Such a true people person. He does not just say he cares, he shows it with his actions. Just what we need with all the instability and uncertainity. Sometimes people just want to know u care.

Hey, I still don't know why the Republicans are complaining. I went thru 8 horrible years under Republicans and Bush. Although I have received raises, it feels like I am still making the same as I was 5+ years ago. I am also wondering why the great divide between the time we the people have actually been experiencing hardship,and Republicans belief that this only happened at the end of last year?

24. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA

Tomorrow's hearing with the bank execs is all about how humble and approriately they posture themselves to the public. I expect more than one representative will throw tomatoes at them. It's not going to be pretty.

25. Jasmine-Spokane,WA

If you are going to make a speech to the public maybe you should consider knowing all the facts before saying anything.

26. Lorna

Erica!!

What would be the Latin root for 14; the woman is not just an octo-mom...

27. Edwin

!!!! Citizen Bail Out !!!

why not allocate $200,000 dollars to every legal age US citizen. this way we can all pay our debts and this way the banks and other lending institutions get their money and people will have a fresh start ! money will then again start flowing through and the country's economic engine can start running again! not to mention that it would not take 800 billon dollars of tax payers money !!!!

February 10, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  28. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

David in IN,
    I agree with you!!!!! you have a good point!!!!

February 10, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  29. Paula, Colorado

Anderson,
    Hi! I'm very glad the stimulus plan was passed in the Senate today. I guess I don't see the difficulty as that extreme in reconciling the House and Senate bills. It seems those items that were dropped could be taken up in some separate form of action anyway. I hope they are able to resolve the differences–as they are attempting to do.

February 10, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  30. Renee

@ Vanessa: Sorry FL news is just calling him the screemer! Julio it is!

@ JoAnn: Tom Foreman is the only person that says he has a 4 part plan!

February 10, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  31. Glen Up North

Erica! Welcome... My mistake, I thought Randi was still here tonight. As for the octo-mom, I'd rather not talk about her at all, as attention is exactly what she wants. Enough! I'm grateful Joe the Plumber can't get pregnant...

February 10, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  32. Kassie Wright

Lori from IL, I couldn't express how much I was touched by Ms. Hugh's story in a better way than you just did.

I'm sitting in my little university apartment, worrying about how I will pay all of my added uni fees, rent and all, and seeing that...it just stops you in your tracks and makes you appreciate everything that you have, eh?

February 10, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  33. Esma

Hey, Erica, you rock! Bring on the Octo-mom and all of her wannabe Angelina Jolie antics. Sorry, Nadya, there can be only one! Is there the possibility that the kids could be taken away from her, for their sake?

34. James Clarke AZ

I think Geithner is not a strong speaker, he lacked passion in his voice.

35. biba

it is amazing to see how Pres. Obama connects with regular people with real problems... I hope all leaders, worldwide learn from this man.

36. Ammar Safar

I was hoping you show the exchange with Ms. Hughes in its entirety for all of us to be thankful for what we have. I am so proud to have a president like Obama!

37. mary

Can you find out if they were able to help that lady, my heart breaks for her and so many like her

38. Nattada, Houston TX

God bless that lady (was her name Henry?).

She was so lucky to get to tell Pres.Obama hershelf what really happened to her. There are a lot of people who is in the same or even worst situation out there in this country. I just hope that stimulation plan really helps the situation better.

May god bless everyone in this tough time.

39. sharon

President Obama is going to be one of the most successful presidents ever because he CARES about people. The look on his face as he listened to the homeless woman's story tells it all. He was truly and sincerely concerned. It brought tears to my eyes... both the story and his reaction.

Michelle is also very real as was very apparent in her interactions with the kids and teenagers today. No wonder they are such a happily married couple.

40. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I'd like to believe that the people in the audience were genuine, but Obama's campaign was so slick that now I feel like he is trying to manipulate the American people any way that he can.

41. Gerry in Toronto

I think Geitner was in a no win situation today. If he had provided full details of his plan, the GOP would cry they hadnt been consulted and when he provided an over all guidline, which is what he said he was doing they still crying.

Watching the committee ask questions of him, I was impressed with how intelligent he is.

42. Maureen T, Canada

Good evening Anderson! Well, that did me in, President Obama in Florida talking with that woman Henrietta Hughes! I didn't think I'd be shedding tears so soon! President Obama is truly amazing.

43. Kern

I'm surprised no one has commented yet on the woman behind and to the right of the homeless woman whom President Obama spoke with and hugged in Ft. Myers FL today. Read her lips: she says "I live you Barak" and then blows him a kiss when he walks back to the podium. Not a regular occurance for US presidents.

44. Sharon S

I love this show! I am way too tired to even blog tonight so I'm going to just watch the show.

AC360 is the absolute best in bringing all the real news to us every night! Keep up the Great work guys!

Good Night, cya tomorrow night!

45. vanessa from silver spring, MD

Mike, Syracuse NY

Mike from Syracuse NY, I respect that fact that President Obama is being up front with us. No need to beat around the bush.

46. Pamela

Can't we all just get along? Lets Hug

47. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Vanessa, TX...I have to firmly agree! Our new President really is a! 🙂 rockstar! 🙂

February 10, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  48. Hannah Marner

Oh, I heard it on the state news earlier, Erica. It's absolutely insane. We're nearly bleeding out over here and Kaiser is asking for help? I love babies and I'm all for taking care of kids in need, but this is far too much right now given the overall condition of California's financial situation.

February 10, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  49. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

@Erica – I'm doing great tonight! How about yourself? I'm thinking that the poor woman just needs some psychiatric attention... or her own island.

February 10, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  50. karin dicker

whoa – that lady had me almost in tears. how lucky we are to have a man of the people as our prez. the republicans will be known as the party of no – there numbers will go down again in the next election. they need to start over and get some common sense. they caused this and don't want to fix it. they shut dems out of their conference's and wouldn't let them in and i remember when they shut down a dem meeting and turned out the lights in the basement in capital hill. it was that nutcase congressman from wisconsin who did that. wow. they are draft dodging mama's boys. ick

February 10, 2009 at 10:13 pm |