February 10th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 2/10/09

Want to share your thoughts on the stories we're covering tonight? You're in the right location. Just scroll down and post your comments. This is where you can "chat" with Anderson during the program.

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Randi Kaye's webcast during the commercials. She's filling in for Erica. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Hey Erica!!!!
    Welcome back!!! nice see you!!!!! I don't have a comment about 8 babies now....

February 10, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  2. David, Indiana

Hi Anderson, Erica, Megan, everyone blogging. Its good to hear dems and repubs are narrowing their differences as Dana Bash reported. Some hopeful news. I hope this can bring on some republicans.

Yes that exchange with Henrietta Hughes in Ft Myers was a jolt of reality. Terrible for people to live in their car. Also that man on unemployment, those unemployment benefits aren't all that much, maybe not even enough to get by.

February 10, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  3. Karen -PA

Good Evening Anderson and Erica!

Like most, I'm skeptical about the "bailout plans" but at the same time, they have to do something. Or at least try. I'm just really grateful that we finally have a president that seems to really care about the little people.

And, I don't understand this woman with the 8 kids at all.

February 10, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  4. Greg M

was that lady behind Mrs Hughes (at Fort Meyer's) saying "I love you" to President Obama? if so, it's cute!

February 10, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  5. Michelle Fonthill,Ont

The dollar is effecting jobs here in Canada @Glen up north the John Deere plant is closing it's giong to impact a community with jobs lost .

February 10, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  6. Lorna

good evening!

i might be a little bit picky, but what did Pres. Obama's saying, "I'll have my staff talk to you afterwards" actually mean? there are probably a lot of people like that woman. should everyone knock on the president's door? i find it a little absurd.

Sandy, for the country to recover, it needs a stimulus. so the words are somewhat synonymous.

February 10, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  7. Josephine

I am interested in those talks as well. Is there a place on the web that outlines the stimulus plan as it changes? I am certainly interested in what will happen to education and health care.

February 10, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  8. Bob Coyle

Poor baby bankers want details of the Treasury plan. How about details on how they packaged all thoes bad mortgages and how they spent the bailout money from the Bush administration. Regulation is needed badly. Government is not the problem after all: Mr. Regan.

February 10, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  9. Tom M - NYC

I think Obama has a sharp mind, a concerned heart and a strong determination. These are leadership skills which will be important, especially as times toughen.

February 10, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  10. Ashley - Hamlin, NY

I can't get over how the President came out to talk to the "people" about the bill and why it's important. Most politicans think we are only good for elections and fundraising. I am a bit verklempt....

February 10, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  11. Abayomi, Florida

There is truly Great Medicine in the Enthusiasm that a Leader Gives, this was eminant in the appearance of the President in Ft. Myers.

The Reaction of the Lady Hugged, and the Expression of the Lady behind her really got me...saying, "I love you Barack", and blowing him a kiss.

I do know that he will work hard to make sure that this money is well taking cared of.

February 10, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  12. John Carter

The "bailout bill" passed the senate but its missing a key item–there wasn't a "bad bank" created to remove banks toxic assets off their balance sheets. This means credit will remain very tight. No credit - no jobs and no economic growth, period.

February 10, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  13. chandra

Hi Anderson

About the treasury sec. speech today..

What do wall strret expect? They want every thing to settle 'morrow.
    Today wall st lost 380 points but can any say why it gaind 200+ point yesterday

Tks
    chandra

February 10, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  14. Sharon Larman

It brought tears to my eyes today when i saw the exchange the president had with the the lady in fort Myers!

February 10, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  15. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

The woman in Florida who is homeless and Pres. Obama's response to her was very heartwarming....

The House and Senate should watch that clip a few times, perhaps that would speed up the negotiations and get the stimulus bill passed and moving forward. I'd much rather we DO something than nothing at this point...

February 10, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  16. Glen Up North

Isabel, as with everything, solid change doesn't come overnight. Obama can't expect everyone to be on his side from the word "go", nor does he. That's why he remains confident: his hopes are firmly grounded, yet focused on the desired outcome: a strong economy and a safer future for all.

February 10, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  17. Mike from Ontario

Anderson,

I can't help but admire President Obama. His compassion for not only those who have been directly affected by this crisis, but for making a true, honest effort to reach across the aisle. He really isn't getting the credit he deserves and I think history will judge his efforts much more graciously in the years to come.

February 10, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  18. Jacqueline, NY

Greetings all! Sorry I'm late but literati game was getting good.

February 10, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  19. holly, overland park , ks

i love seeing our president get out there in and for the people who voted for him, hes getting the real feel of what people are going thru.

February 10, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  20. Mike, Syracuse NY

I'm pretty perplexed by Obama's doom and gloom tone. FDR tried to create hope. Obama seems to have switched to fear as a motivator. Didn't he complain about Republicans doing exactly that? Consumer confidence needs to be restored. Saying a catastrophy is right around the corner is exactly the opposite of what's needed.

February 10, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  21. vanessa from silver spring, MD

Renee
    Mrs. Hughes has been playing over and over again on local TV. Sad part is that they have been playing Sam the Screemer as well.

His name is Julio, and he was so funny. It caught me off guard and I know it caught the President off guard.

February 10, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  22. ericacnn

hello bloggers,
    how are you all tonight? good to have you with us. so much news tonight.. hope you stick around for it all. i have a piece later on the octuplets mom. all i keep hearing from people is "how much these babies are costing taxpayers" since it turns out the mom has been on food stamps with her first 6 kids and now has 8 more. wow!
    wait til you hear how much it's costing just to care for these babies in the hospital. what do you think about the octo-mom as some are calling her?

February 10, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  23. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

@Sandy – A very good point. The media really should avoid the phrase "stimulus" as it has come to have a negative connotation. "Recovery" is both a more optimistic and accurate term.

February 10, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  24. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA

Oh-oh, with the President "having his staff speak with" that woman afterwards, reminds me of Eva Peron's (Argentina in the 50s) programs that managed to help those who had some sort of profile, for P.R. effect. Kudos to that woman for speaking up! I think it's great people are comfortable speaking directly to the President–he's very approachable.

February 10, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  25. Bea

Obama will demonstrate that who we elect really matters. D. Gergen made a point a while back about the need to bring really bright, intelligent people back to government service. It's true. Too often government is occupied by family dynasties or people who are just good talkers. This isn't a cyclical problem. This was a problem created by behavior and policies.

February 10, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  26. Rikki, Fargo, ND

I'm glad that the senate did pass the stimulus package. Something really does need to be done. Hopefully they can make some progress with the negotiations tonight.

Lisa...my thoughts and prayers go out to everyone in Australia affected by the fires. I have family that lives in Australia and am so incredibly thankful that they are safe and sound.

February 10, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  27. Lori from IL

Anderson -

Thanks for showing the whole exchange between President Obama and Ms. Hughes. It humanizes our President. I was very impressed with his interaction with her. ( I was working on paying my bills at the time - grumbling as usual - then I saw her story and remembered just how fortunate I am. )

February 10, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  28. Lauren--NY

I have great admiration for the President because he is continuing to use the Town Hall format and speak to the public so intimately.

Holly, I hadn't heard about storms in Kansas–I hope you're all okay out there.

February 10, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  29. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I saw one black lady asked Obama.......... she felt so emotion need help as job and home..... my touched my heart in Fort Meyers, FL Hall Town Meeting this morning!

February 10, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  30. vanessa from silver spring, MD

Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio
    I am sorry, but this looked like a set up to me.

I highly doubt that this was set up. It didn't look set up an any way.

February 10, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  31. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

President Obama is BETTER than Camelot! Wowza!

February 10, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  32. Jacqui Chan

evening bloggers
    when I 1st saw that clip of that very enthusiastic man I thought he was playing a joke/causing trouble — but just a man who realizes how much this president truly cares about Americans

February 10, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  33. L Carilo, H.R. CO

That lady, Ms. Hughes, reminds me so much of my Mom. I'd like to send her my love. Lillian

February 10, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  34. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

How could Geithner expect to sell a package without any details?

February 10, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  35. Michelle Fonthill,Ont

It felt like the old campign days with Obama speaking to Ft Meyers
    It was charged up emotional lilke that student they showed on Rick Sanchez's show he was asking about money for college.

February 10, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  36. Renee

February 10, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  37. Belinda

Great point Anderson! I think that's why its so impressive. I like the fact that the President explains in detail with his answers. I hope Ms. Hughes is able to get the help she and her family needs.

February 10, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  38. Cindy

Anderson,

It would be helpful to know what the alternatives to the bailout plan are. If the President is pushing his plan so hard, there must be at least a few other options he's not pushing. Can you tell us what those are, or might be?

Thanks,

Cindy

February 10, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  39. Gerry in Toronto

Did anyone see that lady ask President Obama for help in Florida? Appararently, she was homeless and out of work. Obama gave her and kiss and said his staff would contact her. Then afterwords some elected representative in Florida gave her a house to live in.

A very touching story

February 10, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  40. Cassandra

Hello Bloggers,

I have been glued to CNN this evening. Now this is good coverage. I'm glad to see CNN covering the news without bias again.
    Yea! Big Star for CNN.

February 10, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  41. Vanessa, TX

wow..our pres. is a ROCKSTAR! I like it!

February 10, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  42. Minou, New York City

I love my President! What a wonderful person he is!

February 10, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  43. Sandy - Bakersfield Ca

I'm wondering why the media keeps calling this a stimulus package, yet the white house and the president call it a recovery package? Doesn't recovery package better explain it?

February 10, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  44. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I am sorry, but this looked like a set up to me.

February 10, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  45. Jody Scott-Olson

The Republican “No Chorus” better seriously consider their position and options in conference committee or face a losing battle next election.

February 10, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  46. Robert - Jakarta

It took 8 years for the previous administration to destroy the economy so it will take a few years to pick up the ball again. Give the president a break. He inherited that ball.

February 10, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  47. CLYDE

It's gonna take forever for the subcommittee (5 dems and 5 republicans) to glue the House and the Senate bills together. We're not anywhere near being "in the clear" yet.

February 10, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  48. Bridget, TX

Hello Anderson, CNN team and fellow bloggers.

February 10, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  49. Kassie Wright

Wow, in the current clip (on the stimulus bill) that woman just broke my heart, the way she said "Please help". This is the sort of thing that has inspired me to study journalism.

This is a difficult time for everybody, however, it is also one of the most interesting times.

February 10, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  50. biba

THanks for keeping us informed..would have been nice to get some international news too...

February 10, 2009 at 10:06 pm |