February 10th, 2009

TONIGHT: Ask Suze Orman!

What should you be doing to protect your money? Financial expert Suze Orman answers your questions! Tonight, 10 ET

JOIN: LIVE BLOG Weeknights 10p ET

WATCH: 360 WEBCAST during commercials 10p-11p ET

WATCH: Our Studio Webcam 9:45p-11p ET

Filed under: On TV
  1. denise

I am getting a divorce after 30 years of marriage. Two grown sons, own a home w/ him. Having a difficult time selling the home, despite being in an outstanding school system and the house is fantastic.
    Question: how much is reasonable to get from alimony? I have been a stay at home mom most of the 30 years. Put my spouse through school, took care of his mother for 4 years. I am going to mediation soon, and need to know. He makes 100,000 a year, i make 23,000 yearly.
    I am asking for 1/2 his retirement, 1/2 all stocks and money, 1/2 house.
    DO you have any other suggestions for what I should ask for?

September 14, 2009 at 6:42 pm |
  2. Angela Andrews

I have reciently entered a debt settlement program. I have a good deal of credit card debt and recient financial situations have made it impossible for me to keep up with the monthly payments as well as the credit cards raising the interest rates on my cards to ungodley amounts. Any way one of the creditors that I am trying to settle with called my cell and left me a voice mail telling me that debt settlement is illegal and that no matter what I should be dealing with the card company myself. Is this true? Have I made a mistake in entering a debt settlemant program? I did my research before choosing a company to go with but would I have been better off to file bankruptcy and lessen my chances of being sued? And would it have been better for my credit in the long run?

July 22, 2009 at 10:17 am |
  3. Althea

I bought my home in 1993 from a mortgage company. However, I refinanced from a different company, Flagstar, and I took out cash in June 2008 so the amount I now owe is $160,000. I was laid off after 25 years of working for a company with pay of $66,000. I now make about $17,000 a year. I inherited a home from my Dad back in 2003 which my brother pay me $575 per month to rent. The house is paid for in full. I have exhausted all of my 401K and all savings to maintain a good credit over the past couple of years since the layoff. Now I am in financial trouble. I wrote to Flagstar about my current situation but since I am not in default they can not do anything for me in terms of modification or refinance. Should I just let my home go into foreclosure? Would Flagstar go after my second home? My mortgage note does state it is without recourse. I am in Miami Florida. By the way, I am in training to become a medical transcriptionist and should finish by May 2009 and expect to make more money in addition to maintaining my current job. Please help?

February 21, 2009 at 3:23 pm |
  4. sharon

hi suze,
    i am 40 years old i live in mcdonough georgia i recently move from new york queen, i am a hair stylist. i am unemployed all of my credit cards bills are behind months my credit is amess i have a lease vehicle that i put 5,000 down i have the vechile for one and a half year i have one and a half year to go . iam behind on my payment two months there is no bus line or train where i live i dont where my rent is comming from for march, what should i do? give up my appartment and live in my car me and son or let the bank repocess the vechile because i cannot affort the car and my appartment ,also i enrolled in school and i dont like the teaching of the school how can i get myself out of this school,it is very expensive i have no saving i get child support for son please me thank you.

February 17, 2009 at 5:16 pm |
  5. James Thrombley

My credit card bank recently nearly doubled the interest rate on my credit card therefore increasing my minimum monthly payment by over $50. I have never been late, or missed a payment and always pay over my minimum by conveniently about $50. When contacted my bank said i was part of "a group" of accounts whose interest rates were increased and there was nothign that I could do in this situation. My credit card agreement of course states that my interest rate can be increased in the manor in which they have done. So my question is....Do i have any recourse? Like I said, i have never been late or missed a payment and always pay more than my minimum. It is suspect to me that my monthly minimum is now almost exactly the amount of the payment I always make...which is always more than the minimum. Hope this makes sense, and thank you.

February 16, 2009 at 8:57 pm |
  6. rachel

My ex husband lives in and pays for the home that we had together. Currently it is still in both of our names. He pays the mortgage and I have always thought that it was helping my credit. Should I insist that he remove my name from the property so that my credit is not affected by having the debt in my name?

February 11, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  7. Janet Murino

When will we get the $400 credit in the new bill? Can we use it in our 2008 tax return or do we have to wait till we file a year from now?

February 11, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  8. Olivia

My mortgage is underwater. A reputable broker has offered to negotiate a loan modification for me. His charge is $2,500. Is this reasonable? Is this the right way to do a loan modification?

February 11, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  9. Charlene

Dear Suze,
    is it better to settle a credit card debt for less than what is owed
    or try to pay the whole amount in payments. What will happen to your credit if you pay the less amount?

February 11, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  10. Joan

Bank of America has received billions, but not passing any help along to the taxpayer. In order to take advantage of the present low interest rates, they require huge closing fees, points, etc. which only increases debt. Sr. Citizens living on fixed income and trying to help ourselves by economizing in many ways. Where is the help for us?

February 11, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  11. Deanna

or sell and invest in something else... should be slightly over $1,200,000.00 if I sold everything .

February 11, 2009 at 11:32 am |
  12. Deanna

47 years old, 9 houses I rent out, they are all to be paid off in about 13 years, the income once they are paid off should be around 7500 a month.. do I get them paid off or just always refinance so I can have the deduction..

February 11, 2009 at 11:14 am |
  13. Martha

I am 68 yrs old and have a great career. I own my condo with a mortage of 199.0. The value is less. than the mortage and has 26 yrs to pay off. With my age and the amount of the mortage should I be paying extra on my mortage each month or not?
    thank you for you concern.
    Martha