February 9th, 2009

Sully could have delivered those octuplets in his sleep

Nadya Suleman, mother of the octuplets, and Angelina Jolie.

Nadya Suleman, mother of the octuplets, and Angelina Jolie.

Jack Gray
AC360° Associate Producer

I can hear the Octuplet Mom screaming at her television set now. Damn you, Sully Sullenberger, how dare you and your neatly trimmed mustache encroach on my morning show turf. Indeed, the broadcast networks presented us with an exciting dichotomy today.

On ABC and CBS, the hero US Airways pilot who saved 155 lives without breaking a sweat.  On NBC, the woman who says that she will, in fact, be able to care for her 14 children…as soon as she goes back to school and they get full-time jobs.

As for Captain Chesley B. Sullenberger III, he’s back in New York for the aforementioned round of television interviews, including one tomorrow night with Larry King.  I can picture it now.  “Good to meet you Captain Sullenberger.”

“Please, Larry, (gives him the two-handed handshake, looks him in the eye and pauses a beat) call me Sully.” By then I’m hoping Sully will be channeling 50 Cent and wearing his Key to the City on a gold chain around his neck.

Here in New York the local stations ran promos seemingly non-stop over the weekend.  New York salutes Sully:  Live coverage begins Monday at 5am. 5am? Please.

Sully and Mrs. Sully were still spooning at 5am. As for Nadya “I bear a creepy resemblance to Angelina Jolie” Suleman, she would like you to know that she definitely doesn’t need society’s approval to have the kind of family she wants.  Just society’s money. Suleman says her desire to have 14 children is a result of her, an only child, not feeling enough love growing up.

Great idea.  Because, as any math major will tell you, the more children she has the more time she’ll have to spend making each one feel individually loved. Did I mention the Angelina Jolie thing?  Because I really can’t get past that.

Apparently, there’s still an ongoing economic crisis.  But unless the stimulus plan includes funding for Harry Reid to be implanted with half a dozen embryos on a sinking Airbus then the Senate has an uphill climb to win back the public’s attention.

Speaking of the economy, President Obama is on the road in Indiana this afternoon, taking his stimulus campaign directly to the people.  As with any of the president’s public appearances, Beyonce will open for him and The Jonas Brothers will close it out.

Then tonight the president will hold his first formal news conference.  Be sure to join Anderson and the rest of the Best Political Team on Television for live coverage from 8pm Eastern Time until midnight.

The president is expected to take questions about the financial crisis, foreign policy and what it’s going to take to get Sully in his cabinet. Because some things really do transcend partisan politics. UPDATE: I am finally giving the Twitter thing a try...I don't quite get it but here you go:  https://twitter.com/jackgraycnn

Filed under: 360° Radar • Chesley Sullenberger • Jack Gray • Octuplets
  1. Paula

What Sully did was truly amazing...and walking thru the plane twice before leaving was commendable...but does anyone else wonder why he left in a boat and told the first responders to make sure to get the passengers off the wings first since they were in the most danger???? Those were his words on 60 minutes. It would have been more fitting given who we all think he is; for him to have waited on the wing and given his seat on the boat to another passenger.....

February 9, 2009 at 11:17 pm |
  2. Shelly N.

I was watching AC360 and I had my assumptions confirmed...the mother of the octuplets is already on state assistance, living off of people like me who would love to have a child, but cannot afford to have the medical procedures to make it happen. So, if she doesn't have a job, who paid for the medical procedures to get this woman pregnant? People having more kids than they can care for, and living off of the government aid programs just makes me absolutely sick.

February 9, 2009 at 11:11 pm |
  3. Craig Stewart

The County of Los Angeles should file a civil action against the fertility physician who implanted the embryo's. His Insurance carrier can afford to pay to raise these 8 children until they are 18 years of age.

February 9, 2009 at 11:06 pm |
  4. Brandi bottom of the boot

OMG, jack, dude! i said the same thing about the octo-mom the first time i saw her, she looks just like angelina jolie!! lol

oh my, your twittering!? now im shivering!!! lol

February 9, 2009 at 11:05 pm |
  5. Erica

That mother does not deserve those children if she is not willing to get a job, get off welfare and have the husband to help support her. I do not care if she has wanted a big family. You don't make children suffer through your own selfishness. Those children could be adopted into good families who CAN AFFORD TO LOVE AND RAISE THEM. How is she going to be able to give attention to 14 children?

February 9, 2009 at 11:03 pm |
  6. Roweena D'Souza, Mangalore

Hey Jack, welcome to twitter, it should be fun reading your tweets when I can! twitter is on the banned site list, so will add you when I get off work.

When is your birthday Jack? Cancer or Virgo... I could be wrong, am no expert on the signs!

Good night.

February 9, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  7. Don, WA

I think Angelina Jolie could beat up Nadya Suleman in a fight.

February 9, 2009 at 9:42 pm |
  8. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

Jack is twittering now! There is "hope" afterall. 😯

See you in twitterland!!!!!

February 9, 2009 at 9:30 pm |
  9. Emma

When I saw the mom last week, it really made me wonder if she was trying to mimic Angelina Jolie. The resemblance is definitely there (i.e., lips)....and I apologize to Angelina for saying that. I guess Ms. Suleman doesn't realize that Angelina actually have the financial resources to hire nannies and other help.

February 9, 2009 at 9:16 pm |
  10. EJ (USA)

Nadya is very interesting and so is her family. Interesting personalities and high dysfunction = perfect case for a reality show and more TV interviews.

February 9, 2009 at 8:43 pm |
  11. Brenda

Nadya is a nut. The doctor should be shot or better yet made to raise as well as support the 14 children.
    To link her to Angelina Jolie is just as crazy. The most important difference being one can afford 14 children and has 6, the other couldn't afford the 6 she had and had 8 more!!!! The Jolie/Pitts can afford nannies, housekeepers and all around help from any corner. Nadya has no money, no way of earning money and is dilluisional about returning to school. Who's paying for that? Let me see could that be us (Joe Taxpayer).
    I'm a single mother who raised ONE child alone. As of this May he will have graduated from college. One was difficult enough. I'll be mad as hell if as a working single mother who qualified for NO GOVERNMENT HELP, because I worked, has to now pay for this idiot children. Her own Mother is saying she has no way to provide for them.
    CPS needs to step in and take these children. I truely believe she's done all of this for the money, publicity, or some other crazy scam. The doctor should also lose his license. HOW WAS THE INVETRO PAID??? I know loving couples that can't afford invetro, how did she with NO JOB? Not once but twice?
    There are thousands of couple (straight or gay) and many single's as well that would gladly adopt and love these children. This women should be evaluated for mental stability before she's ever allowed to take the new babies from the hospital. CPS need to look at the house as it appears filthy from news reports. We won't even get into the over crowding. 17 people in a 3 bedroom house. The filth alone is enough to pull the other children as well.
    How did this country come to paying for this kinda crap. Is this women a US citizen or another illegal the taxpayers of California are supporting.
    Hey Californa Gov. Schwartzanager this is part of the reason your state is so far in debt. UHHGGG when are we gonna learn.

February 9, 2009 at 8:08 pm |
  12. May from Tennessee

Yeahhhhh Jack you're on twitter!!! 'Bout time! I'll be following!

February 9, 2009 at 7:58 pm |
  13. Paula Vergara, Boston, MA

Jack – looking forward to seeing your "tweets" on Twitter. It's kind of like Facebook, but instead of having “friends” you have “followers”.

Regarding Nadya...I read this on Wikipedia: "Six embryos where implanted and two turned into twins, resulting in eight altogether."

I also read on Wikipedia: "After giving birth, Suleman reportedly expressed the desire to breastfeed all eight infants." Whaat?

February 9, 2009 at 7:49 pm |
  14. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Hellooo Jack!!!! 🙂
    LOL!!!! you're so funny man I read your comment!!!!!!! why not???? Well, I don't agree with woman have 8 kids at once!!!!! I also proud of Sully and the crew flight 1549 saved their own people on the plane!!! That is so amazing miracle!!! and Congrats for your new twitter today.... I am exciting stay up for 2 hours on Live Blog!!! Whoohoo!!!! That will be fun blogging tonight! 🙂
    P.S. I have one twitter too!!!

February 9, 2009 at 7:22 pm |
  15. Jacqueline

Oh, BTW, Jack, how's the screenplay about Sully coming along? 🙂

February 9, 2009 at 7:05 pm |
  16. Jacqueline

Jack,

"As for Nadya “I bear a creepy resemblance to Angelina Jolie” Suleman, she would like you to know that she definitely doesn’t need society’s approval to have the kind of family she wants. Just society’s money...
    ...Because I really can’t get past that."

I thought I was the only one who say that. Isn't creepy? Maybe Nadya and Jolie went to the same surgeon for the job.

February 9, 2009 at 7:01 pm |