February 9th, 2009

Sound Off: Your comments 2/9/09

Editor's Note: After Friday night’s AC360°, we received a lot of opinions about the stimulus package. Most of you still wanted it to go to the taxpayers and not for bailout to the banks. A few viewers asked that we stop reporting on the President’s smoking habits as it’s not news. And we also heard from people requesting that we do a “Keeping them Honest” story on the woman with 14 children and who is paying for her hospital bill and the daily expenses of so many children. Here's a roundup of what some of you had to say.

Give every taxpayer and unemployed worker a million Dollars. I bet we wouldn't even past 2 Billion pay out. All my co-workers agree.

I was just wondering how many of the people who cried out against socialism, now find themselves in the predicament of needing a little government help. I thought it might be an interesting topic of discussion

I was wondering how a mother of 14 was going to support 14 kids. Doesn't make sense when she's single and not employed. I suppose the government, or taxpayer’s dollars will foot the bill.

So much fraud in the USA. all those overly paid people on wall street, and the banks should donate millions towards our economy since they are the ones that put us here! And the Bush and Cheney family should donate millions also, instead of being comfortable where they are at, since they let this mess happen

I'm a Democrat, and I have asked my senator (Bill Nelson) to vote "NO" on the stimulus package due to the tax cuts that have been added to the package in order to appease the Republicans. A stimulus should help people get jobs like building schools, bridges, roads, etc. It's nice to have tax cuts to people that will be losing their jobs in the next couple of months.

I am sick of the backlash that Michael Phelps is getting for using marijuana. Why are we persecuting a 23 year old athlete for smoking pot when our three most recent presidents have all admitted to experimenting with the same drug (yeah, Clinton inhaled) at some point in their past?

Please get someone to look into that mother of 14. Who is paying the doctor bills, the food bill, the diaper bill, the clothing bill? Where will they sleep? Is Social Services looking into this situation? I cannot imagine how all of them would fit into that house? Are the grandparents taking care of all of them while she is a student?

Filed under: Behind The Scenes
  1. CR

It seems to me the money is headed for the wrong pockets. Why not give $50,000 – $100,000 to each TAXPAYING CITIZEN. This would allow me to buy a car – helping the auto industry, make many home improvements – helping Home Depot, Lowe's etc as well as the little guy that will provide the labor, keep me from facing foreclosure which will help the banking industry, allow me to go on a vacation – helping the airlines, gas industry (tho they seem to be the only ones making a HUGE profit), allow me to buy new toys; tv, computer, games, etc.
    It will give ME money to spend and that will improve the economy – isn't that what this is all about – trying to stimulate spending. I WILL spend – I just need money to do that.
    Giving the money to the people that were so irresponsible in the first place just doesn't make sense to me.

February 10, 2009 at 10:28 am |
  2. Adrian Adams

is it me or is it that every Republican wants President Obama to fail in his job of trying to get this country back on track. I'm seeing this everyday in the news and it's really sad. It seems to me that if they want him to fail by not supporting him in his plans to get this country out of this recession some of them should have tried to become the President of the United States. This country is in a mess and we all Democrats and Republicans need to come together and try to get this country back on track. Come on everybody you've got people from both political parties losing their homes, jobs,and their confidence in the American Dream because of shape the economy. This situation is not going to go away by the Republicans wanting President Obama to fail.

February 10, 2009 at 4:26 am |
  3. lexor Green

As a ordinary tax payer, you and most of the idiots on capital hill sounds so stupid and surreal. The last 8 years you sat on your hands and was so afraid of Bush that he was able to deregulate almost every industry, made the rich richer, fraud, and disregard for not only the american people but the entire world. You sat virtually still while George spent billions on a lost war. but when it comes to helping the people who pay the tax's you all freak out. It is the tax payers money. The main street people did not cause these problems, it was George, bankers void of judgement and greedy wall street. The voters have spoken and maybe it means we need to get rid of most of the republicans in order for us to get use of some of our taxes.Billions have been wasted, stolen or given to failing CEO's.

February 10, 2009 at 2:32 am |
  4. Jeanne Standefer

If that stimulus package included sending out $5,000 to each and every American Citizen in the United States... I bet we could get this country rolling back into the recovery mode! Can't believe that anyone would be interested in purchasing a car right now. That bail out money that was sent to the Car industry... should have been given to the people to actually jump start this country!!!!!!

February 10, 2009 at 2:16 am |
  5. Berjeana Sutton

Yes I think we should investigate the Bush time in office. I do not think it is fear for us as people to go through all this . Bush is home sitting petty his house is paid for him and Dick Channy. They got us in this mess see what they did. Make them pay .see what we can do to take some of there money Tax money the took when in office. I think this was all plain Buch and Dick . they new they was leaving office so they made this mess its not on them I think they or home laughing saying look what we did to them.Yes yes yes Investigate.

February 10, 2009 at 1:53 am |
  6. Larry

It is critical that our nation's CEOs and work force exercise a significant paradigm shift in their perceptions of what competitive wages and benefits will look like in the manufacturing, service, and technology sectors or our economy. As job losses abound we are no longer a consumer nation because our ability to purchase things has significantly decreased. This is not simply due to financial irresponsibility on Wall Street, it is a simple issue of the competitive global market place. Aside from the proposed infrastructure oriented job creation plan, at likely lower pay rates, we are rapidly becoming a technology driven nation. Manufacturing and services are being rapidly outsourced. Technology driven companies require specialized and skilled labor. Manufacturing and service based skills are not so easily transferable. While a stimulus bill may encourage economic growth in the short term, it will not address the strategic issue of the missaligned US labor market. Therefore businesses will continue to look abroad for cheap manufacturing and service oriented labor while more lucrative job availability in the technology sector will be limited to highly skilled employees.

February 10, 2009 at 12:34 am |
  7. mike

ac I went and got a loan from the bank that I am sure got money not to proud to say m&t bank been with them for many name changes after the first bail out got a loan they charged me 11.9 interest rate what ta hell is this these banks are ripping off me and the goverment!!!! And the credit card companeys are doing the same thing no wonder the us is in the shape it is ge money bank allso ripped me off they paid up front services that I did not get yet it was dental work what ta hell is this I was not happy from the git it was for dental work and they paid the dentist up front befor anyting was done??????????????? I am not happy can you tell me what I should do???? A lot of ripp offs out there inclouding the banks like ge money bank and m&t!!!!!!!!!!!

February 10, 2009 at 12:01 am |
  8. Larry

While the story of the mother and her newborn octoplets is provocative, it is indeed pathetic. The media should bury her mass marketing ploy. There are many stories of courageous, responsible single mothers struggling to raise their families in a legitimate way.

February 9, 2009 at 11:32 pm |
  9. John

Randy you get it on the babies!! It is not what they look like but the fact that this woman ha shad them and we, the tax payers, will pay for them. i hope that you will put some money why you comments are!!

February 9, 2009 at 11:09 pm |
  10. Sandra Rogers

I think the president did excellent ,he is reaching out to the nation.We all need to come together and find a solution for this problem, instead of criticizing one another. A divided nation will not stand.

February 9, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  11. K Carl

Clearly it’s true. The Republicans really do want us to fail. They really don’t care how Americans are suffering. They spent the last eight years running this country into the ground and not caring about the budget. Now that AMERICANS so desperately need recovery and jobs the only thing Republicans can do is get in the way. Spending on our schools is pork? So how much money have they wasted on unsupervised Iraqi school projects?

Where were the Republicans’ loud voices when Bush forked over billions of dollars to Wallstreet in a classic “bait and switch” move, with little oversight?

I feel nothing but white hot anger towards the Republicans and I cannot wait until I get my chance to vote against ANY Republican in the next few years. Treat them the way they have treated this jobs bill.

February 9, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  12. Karen

If Regan hadn't quoted our woes at 15 to 20 % lower than they were than maybe we would have been more frugal and would have saved more so that Wall street could have bet on business a lot more and we could have loaned big biusiness more and more money so we could have 5 of the same store on each corner instead of 4 !!! Now that they want the rest of the world to catch up to our standards,well it can't be done so we have to down size and the Golden parachute guys can't deal with it !!! So the ponzzi guy are playing manopoly with Dubi's Las Vegas land and we can shuv -it !!! and pay 4,5,6 $$$$$ a gallon and travel to their magical land of OZ on our vacations UUHH–(ain't happening)That takes us back to the golden parachute guys ,their all that can afford that now that we're balling them out with our 401-K's ang grocery money!!!!!

February 9, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  13. Joette

Hey Jim – are you saying that the GOP isn't positioning themselves for the future. Like maybe saying " I told you so?" Protect, protect

February 9, 2009 at 9:56 pm |
  14. AL

I am a Paramedic who gets paid less than $50,000.00/yr. I have three children that I pay child support. I had to take out the most deduction that I could so that I can feed my kids and to basically survive. Now that I did that I am into the IRS for $5,000.00, and have no clue where I am going to come up with that amount. I am extremely upset that the government can hand out billions of dollars to help corporate America, and to use that money for bonuses, fuel for their corporate jet, etc..................how about sending it our way to help us bail out of our crisis. Finally, how is it that I have heard no discussion on the thousands of Americans who now have a severely damaged credit rating, where can you go with that over your head? how about erasing all the bad credit from our reports and start all over once we start stabilizing?

February 9, 2009 at 9:53 pm |
  15. LJC

At least President Obama's stimulus plan doesn't present more jobs that can be outsourced. We watched the Republicans "Bail out the Sell Outs" before they left office. Hopefully the jobs in infrastructure and Energy can't be "outsourced. Finally someone looking after the interest of the American worker.

February 9, 2009 at 9:36 pm |
  16. Richard Carmack

Bring the CEO'S that are asking for bailout money down to the lower level of the middle class in this country.........make them understand the pain of losing their job, home and health care. I have lost my home and job and if not for family and community help would be living on the streets.....all this pork that has been added to this stimulas plan is for the FAT CATS that will fatten their bankrolls....cut it out.....we all have to change our way of how money is made and spent on all income levels........

February 9, 2009 at 9:20 pm |
  17. Stephen curran

Why doesn't the new media connect the out sourced job to the reason we have to create new jobs.If they didn't out sourced those jobs we wouldn't have to create jobs.

February 9, 2009 at 8:01 pm |
  18. Pauline

Hey ... What happened to the suspension of taxes on Unemployment Compensation? That would be a number one way to get the economy going and to create a safety net for us low income taxpayers. I barely made ends meet on Unemployment this last year , so I could not afford to have them take any taxes out. Now I have to come up with another few hundred dollars for taxes on something that is supposed to help me out. Im a 55 year old woman that has gone to more interviews in the last year then i can keep count of anymore , not to mention the fuel to drive to them and the humiliation of not getting the position cause of Age or no college degree, to what ever other excuse they could come up with in their minds not to hire me. Obama promised to suspend those taxes in his campaign promise but... no one seems to bring that to the forefront. I sure hope that there is something for me to look forward to in this bill.

Thanks for letting me vent this out!
    Pauline

February 9, 2009 at 6:47 pm |
  19. Marybeth Will

My republican friends continue to come up with the most bizarre accusations about President Obama. The latest is that the President did not attend the Medal of Honor Recipient's Ball on the night of the inauguration-and he is the first President to ever miss it! Tell me about a site that I can look up these accusations to see if they are true or false. I get sick of the falsehoods that continue to swirl across the country.

February 9, 2009 at 6:37 pm |
  20. rod blissett

Now here is a "CEO" that deserves a huge bonus coupled with a diamond studded golden parachute. Can you imagine the amount of liability insurance he saved, not to mention the amount of gratitude he engendered. Show me a CEO that match that. I am referring to the Pilot of the miracle landing.

February 9, 2009 at 6:00 pm |
  21. steve averill

The stimulus simulation:

From my view there is one of two missing news stories.

Either CNN is missing doing the reports on the use of highly refined computer simulation tools that will predict the outcome of various stimulus scenarios thus elimination all the waste of rhetoric on what will work and what will not based on no real science or history . . . .
    - or -

CNN is missing the report on how our leaders are failing to utilize such 21st century capabilities to make decent decisions and legislation. Scenario simulation is highly refined in other areas, there must be a solution for macro economic scenario simulations.... isn't there?

February 9, 2009 at 4:56 pm |
  22. Keith Read

President Obama's stimulous package is just a grander scheme of "old ideas that don't work". This "zombie" Keynesianism is fallacious economics. It will fail. It will not achieve its stated ends. If it were truly right do do anything rather than nothing, then it would be to refund all the income taxes paid by all those laid off from January 2007 or 2008 to February 09,2009. This would not be taken from anybody but returned to the rightful owners of that wealth.
    Also regarding the financial crisis, it would be immensely proper to identify, prosecute, fine and imprison those who out of fraud or ignorance brought about the crisis. This should include the SEC and politicians as well as participants on Wall Street.
    The most cogent and concise account that I have read is by Michael Lewis in the Dec2008/Jan2009 Conde Nast Portfolio.

February 9, 2009 at 4:48 pm |
  23. Jim Metz

If the Republicans are so bent on cutting money out of the stimulus package, why did they go along with the Bush administration to ok the expenditure of billions of dollars a month to support operations in Iraqi and Afghanistan and continue to do so. Maybe if we brought our troops home, we would't need a stimulus package. We can just divert the money to save our economy. The money we have spent on the wars since their inception is far greater than this stimulus and in the end, we will not have anything to show for it. It is my belief that once we do exit the wars, things will go back to the way they were in those countries before the wars started.

February 9, 2009 at 4:09 pm |
  24. Primetime for party line

Anderson please educate your audience to the fact that the Democrats do not need republican approval of the stimulus bill to pass it now, since they have the three republican senators who are going to vote with them on the bill.

Your audience seems to be divided between those who realize that although the republicans do not agree with or support the bill (and that is their democratic right as legislators), that they aren't holding up Obama's administration and its goals at all by disagreeing with this bill and then the other group who erroneously believes what Obama told them in his press conference: that Republicans are not being bipartisan and are detracting from the bill.

I thought he was supposed to unite our country; not create another war (this time between parties). His words are divisive and unnecessarily so, since the republicans aren't stopping him from moving forward with his stimulus bill...they are just making him take responsibility for it to the american public...they aren't willing to be the ones who get the stones several years from now when the economy is in ruins.

February 9, 2009 at 4:09 pm |
  25. Annie Kate

I think it would be a good idea to get some of the bailout money for this stimulus bill, etc. from the fat cats on Wall Street and the banks whose fault this is anyway. I've read that its the American people's fault too for being greedy but its hard to be greedy when you live from check to check for just the basics. Perhaps food is a show of greed now. At any rate all these people making over 500K in salary and bonuses for the last ten years should have to cough up some of that money – it was made on the backs of the average citizen who will never see 500K in salary in their lifetime.

February 9, 2009 at 3:56 pm |
  26. mike

more from ME;......

start drilling......tell the conservationists....its TIME to help ourselves and save the planet....in a few years...
    start drilling in montana...wyoming......other norther us states......

February 9, 2009 at 3:55 pm |
  27. mike

my thoughts (cont)

4th.....stop ...not just some....but ALL bonus's till we get out of this .....situatiom......

5th......cut the top payed jobs.....do they really need multi....mil pay when there are people starving here....

6th.....its not gonna be popular .....but we need to put the stimulus $$$ in the hands of the middle and lower income.....not the boss's tell them to take a break and help.....us

7th stop with foreign aid.......just for now.......help us...rather than the whole world......WE CAN DO THIS.......

February 9, 2009 at 3:50 pm |
  28. mike

I think the best way to getr this country going is to ...
    !st clost the bouders...using national guard...anor..returning vets from iraq....

2nd....start building the solar panels....and windmills....and put people back to training and work....
    3rd....start building cars ....and stop impoting cars.....
    4th.....more too come.....

February 9, 2009 at 3:45 pm |
  29. Charles Alley

1. As part of transparency, you stated that all bills will be placed on the wed site so the American people can read, review and submit any comments they might have reference to such bill.

2. However, in reference to this stimulas package, it hasn't been posted on the web site. Therefore, how can the American people can review and submit any suggestions and/or comments if they don't have access to such package.

3. Therefore, could you post this stimular bill on the web site.

4. Furthermore, if the American people want to submit an email with attachments, they aren't allowed to due do the administrative limit authorized for the White House. Could you increase this administrative limit so any and all emails with attachments can be received at the White House?

5. Thank you in advance for your assistance.

February 9, 2009 at 2:59 pm |
  30. Maurice W.

I concur with Mary V.the Republicans want president Obama to fail!. The Republicans found flaws with his stimulus bill.Albeit no plan's without them,however instead of working towards"compromise" on it.They chose"unified-mutiny"masking their issues with president Obama him"shutting-down"their pocketing profits from "pork"they signed into law 8 years ago!.That run of manipulating,"we the people"of the U.S. is over!.Now their accountability's paramount.Look at it?,had Bush still been in office the bill would've passed yesterday!.

February 9, 2009 at 2:00 pm |
  31. Maurice W.

The Republicans found flaws with The Stimulus bill,albeit no plans without them.But instead of working towards"compromise"on it when president Obama extended "the Bipartisan olive branch".They chose unified-mutiny manipulating their issues with excuses.Note to the Senate, you have a problem!..get this bill passed".If this was Bush,it would've been yesterday!.

February 9, 2009 at 1:40 pm |
  32. Mary

The stimulus bill addresses the symptoms not the problem, which is the housing crisis. Save the social agenda spending (and the paybacks to election contributors) for a later date. Also, the financial Bail-out money does nothing for the common taxpayer because people without jobs do not take out loans.

Give every legal U.S. citizen over the age of 18 a check for (say) $10,000. Those who WERE NOT responsible and bought more house than they could afford, could use the money to catch up on their mortgage payments and avoid foreclosure. Those who WERE responsible would spend the money (thus stimulating the economy and creating jobs) or save the money (the banks would then have more money to lend from the influx of cash into savings accounts). This would be a spending plan fair to all taxpayers. The decisions of how to spend the money would belong to the American people instead of a few Washington bureaucrats.

Change from the Bottom Up! Obama need to Belive in the American people!

February 9, 2009 at 12:29 pm |
  33. Mary V., Salt Lake City, UT

The fight in Congress over the Stimulus Bill is disturbing! Congress is elected to represent the PEOPLE, not the far-right-hate-mongers on AM Radio and Faux News!

When will the GOP free themselves of these haters and THINK for themselves?

Where were the "so-called-FISCAL-conservatives" when Bush was spending our Nation into oblivion??????

Where were these "fiscal-conservatives" when Bush was TRIPLING our National debt?????????

People, PLEASE make time to READ the Bill!

PLEASE write or email your representative! (you can get their email by Googling their names).

IT IS OBVIOUS THAT THE GOP HAS ONE MISSION.......... MAKE SURE OBAMA FAILS!

Thing is that the GOP WILL be the ones tossed out of office IF they continue to play obstructionists!

February 9, 2009 at 11:11 am |
  34. tracy b

Hold On! We send a "government plane" to Florida to retrieve Senator Kennedy for a vote on the stimulus bill. (NYT 2/7) Who is paying for this? And by what means did Senator Kennedy get to Florida in the first place?

February 9, 2009 at 10:59 am |