February 9th, 2009

Live Blog Special: President Obama's News Conference

Want to share your thoughts on the President Obama's first official news conference? Talk to the AC360° team during the speech and let us know what you think. Just scroll down and post your comments. And don't forget to come back at 10 p.m. ET for our full coverage and analysis. Keep in mind, you have a better chance of having your comment get past our moderators if you follow our rules. Here are some of them: 1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book") 2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell) 3) Use your real name (first name only is fine) 4) No links 5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*) And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio at 10p.m. ET. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Jen

I wish he would look forward and stop talking about the past administration. I also wish he would spend less time trying to divide americans into party lines and just accept that the country isn't going to all agree...how can we?

February 9, 2009 at 8:55 pm |
  2. Rikki, Fargo, ND

That is an awesome question! Bi-partisanship...very important!

February 9, 2009 at 8:55 pm |
  3. EJ (USA)

EJ (USA), You have to hear Bose to believe it! It makes everything a super experience!

Ok – you've piqued my interest so I will ask the Walmart folks about that.

February 9, 2009 at 8:55 pm |
  4. Jasmine-Spokane,WA

It's interesting to see Obama learning where all the reporters are. So take that for anyone who said that the presidency wasn't for learning on the job....!!!

February 9, 2009 at 8:55 pm |
  5. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Renee, Helen knows how to give the presidents the business. She keeps them on their feet.

February 9, 2009 at 8:54 pm |
  6. Ken in NC

I am impressed with the Presidential news conference. He did not seem to be ducking any questions even when he did say he could not respond because it would preempt a coming news release for tomorrow.

February 9, 2009 at 8:54 pm |
  7. We

Jonathan His problem is "no teleprompter".Without one he fumbles all over the place and can't complete a train of thought.He's only a good speaker when following a written script(someone else's).

When he called on someone it's because he know what question is going to be asked..planned and scripted...pathetic actually...

February 9, 2009 at 8:54 pm |
  8. Terry

Remember...the Pelosi Job Stimulus Bill....is a give away to the states (which ones)...the banks has to pay the money back.....the states can throw away .....anyway they want...... corruption and waste will happen... but remember only the people who pay taxes will pay for this garbage.

February 9, 2009 at 8:53 pm |
  9. Michelle

What kind of question was that from Sam Stein?

February 9, 2009 at 8:53 pm |
  10. Tara

I think the president looks and sounds uncomfortable. I think things are happening so fast in his administration that he is not humanly capable of giving things the thought he’s accustomed to. I also think he’s relying greatly on the staff he has around him, who tell him what he wants to hear, and is sadly slipping away from reality, which is what made him so appealing

February 9, 2009 at 8:53 pm |
  11. kaegw

Oh, there's Helen Thomas...now we're keeping them honest...

February 9, 2009 at 8:52 pm |
  12. Isabel Abreu, Brazil

Subject (very much) delicate!

February 9, 2009 at 8:52 pm |
  13. Bill

Since when did a-rod become a presidential issue stick to the issues like the bailout mr president

February 9, 2009 at 8:52 pm |
  14. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Obama seems a little shaky on this Pakistan issue.

February 9, 2009 at 8:51 pm |
  15. Vanessa, TX

Does anyone know how long the press conf is? I only ask because the pres. takes too long to answer the ques. & i'm afraid more of the quest might not get asked

February 9, 2009 at 8:51 pm |
  16. Sharon VA

I am happy the President is actually answering some tough questions!

February 9, 2009 at 8:51 pm |
  17. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

WoWzA~Take me out to the ballpark. WAY out!

February 9, 2009 at 8:50 pm |
  18. Ken in NC

Good evening Anderson, Erica and all Bloggers. Looks like we will have lots to talk about tonight. I like a lot of what I am hearing from President Obama but I still have some problems about some of the things in the stimulus bill.

I do wish he had done this before the Republicans had started putting out ads bashing the plan and before Senator Shelby started talking about us being on a road to financial disaster if we do this stimulus bill. I thought the road we found ourselves on was already the road to financial disaster.

February 9, 2009 at 8:50 pm |
  19. Isabel Abreu, Brazil

Foreign policy!
    This interests me and a lot!

February 9, 2009 at 8:50 pm |
  20. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

While Michael Phelps gets raked over the coals, these "A-Fraud" types just get slaps on the wrists!

February 9, 2009 at 8:50 pm |
  21. KissinKate

It is refreshing to see a president of the USA who is capable of fielding a flurry of questions in a mostly coherent fashion.

February 9, 2009 at 8:50 pm |
  22. Jasmine-Spokane,WA

HELEN THOMAS! 🙂 the moment I've been waiting forr..

February 9, 2009 at 8:49 pm |
  23. Sharon VA

Sorry I'm late! I missed some of this but I am sure it will on again I need to catch up to speed!

February 9, 2009 at 8:49 pm |
  24. Stacy

Yay Helen! Heh.

February 9, 2009 at 8:49 pm |
  25. Renee

911 to the White House: It is not good when the President does not know what Joe is doing! It is almost as scary as Cheney with a gun!

Good to see Helen going strong!

February 9, 2009 at 8:49 pm |
  26. Isabel Abreu, Brazil

Who is this lady?
    Nice!

February 9, 2009 at 8:49 pm |
  27. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

VP Joe and Jill are going to be very interesting in this administration because they are always saying stuff they shouldn't.
    It won't be boring, will it?

February 9, 2009 at 8:49 pm |
  28. Stacy

@Jen: But you don't understand, if it's too small, it definitely will not work. We need massive spending right now. Cutting it in half would only hurt us. If anything, economists are worried that the bill right now is not big enough.

February 9, 2009 at 8:49 pm |
  29. Rikki, Fargo, ND

I have to agree with Dee...It would be nice if he actually wrote the letters but at least he actually signs them.

February 9, 2009 at 8:49 pm |
  30. Shillie, Sioux Falls, SD

"I’m all for putting money into consumers pockets, my question is what about college students that are claimed as a dependent. I never saw money from the bill last time because my parents claimed me."

"The assumption is that if mom and/or dad is supporting you throughout college then they will get the refund and continue to support you in bigger and better ways – until you graduate. : )"

And hopefully you don't have parents like mine who after a year after graduating they still claimed me. That's after supporting myself throughout college and after, figure that one out.

February 9, 2009 at 8:49 pm |
  31. Jeremy

Alright! Some laughter!

February 9, 2009 at 8:48 pm |
  32. Vanessa, TX

REALLY?! He brings up BASEBALL?! Isn't this out of the topic?

February 9, 2009 at 8:48 pm |
  33. Dee F

The Washington Post had nothing better to ask?

February 9, 2009 at 8:48 pm |
  34. Jasmine-Spokane,WA

REALLY!? asking him about sports? that came out of nowhere..

February 9, 2009 at 8:48 pm |
  35. EJ (USA)

If that reporter can ask about A-rod, someone needs to ask him about Nadya Suleman! Only fair!

February 9, 2009 at 8:48 pm |
  36. greg

Does anyone know where he Staples STOP button is??

February 9, 2009 at 8:48 pm |
  37. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Obama doesn't know what his VP is saying? Don't they communicate?

February 9, 2009 at 8:48 pm |
  38. Alfredo

Energy Jobs??? Solar Jobs?? Global Warming Jobs???

What about Manufacturing Jobs?

The jobs we know make this country!

February 9, 2009 at 8:48 pm |
  39. Isabel Abreu, Brazil

Vice President Biden, in the end of the game, the king and the pawn return to the same box.

February 9, 2009 at 8:48 pm |
  40. Dan, Denver, CO

Obama's first news conference is so refreshing. He does not dodge questions, he seems honest, he is willing to answer the hard questions, and does not render a sugar coated answer. He is very much entuned to reality.

This is sort of the "human stimulus" of honesty and integrity from the Executive's office that will help in improving public confidence and faith in the American economy.

February 9, 2009 at 8:47 pm |
  41. Terry

We have been Blagovich-ed.
    Dorothy....close your eyes....click your heels.......and say "there's no place like Illinois....."there's no place like Illinois".

February 9, 2009 at 8:47 pm |
  42. Cessy, Chicago

Hello! AC Staff! I like the idea of an early blog. You guys are going to be very busy tonight. Thank you for getting us involved.

uhmm..why is the President stuttering? and he appears to be pissed!

February 9, 2009 at 8:47 pm |
  43. Leroy Junior

Why does President Obama continually refer to "my" Secretary of the Treasury and "my" Secretary of Defense? Are they not "our" government servants?

February 9, 2009 at 8:47 pm |
  44. KissinKate

Watching this is making me physically uncomfortable...

February 9, 2009 at 8:47 pm |
  45. Jasmine-Spokane,WA

Finally some comedy in thsi situation! :p some light-heartedness is needed in such difficullt times.

February 9, 2009 at 8:46 pm |
  46. Don

President Obama has a truly awesome economic plan for the country! The only problem is he's trying to sell this truly awesome plan to an antiquated congress!!

It's really a sad day in American politics to know that Congress has the power today, through it's incessant partisan bickering, to totally and completely bring down the American government and way of life.

February 9, 2009 at 8:46 pm |
  47. Gene Penszynski from Vermont

Not a word about the bleeding REDISTRIBUTION of American wealth to COMMUNIST China and SOCIALIST India. AS I said in another post we are still giving 4 Billion Dollars plus to the SOCIALIST Indian Slave Labor colony and 2 Billion dollars to the COMMUNIST Chinese Slave Labor Colony. I want to hear about how the Presdent will actually re-create our Industrial Manufacturing Infrastructure from making domestic appliances to new and innovative technologies. It is most certainly clear that after eight years G W Bush's tax cuts did nothing, NOTHING to improve our Industrial Manufacturing Infrastructure. These 'tax cuts' only weakened it and there is no evidencve of any great new 'innovative technologies' that will once again make us a world leader.

February 9, 2009 at 8:46 pm |
  48. Brandi bottom of the boot

eliza,

did you catch the verbal boo boo about the letters i put in the earlier post? anybody else? just wondering if it was just me who thought it a bad choice of words.

February 9, 2009 at 8:46 pm |
  49. Renee

Where's Biden these days? Does Joe remember what he said?

February 9, 2009 at 8:46 pm |
  50. Jen

@Stacy
    Yes, it is uncharted waters we are in, all the more reason to cut that stimulus amount in half and do a test run. Half the stuff will not affect our economy initially anyway, so why force us to support something...and why even expend the capital as well, when he doesn't know if it will work or not.

That kind of thinking is illogical in Fortune 500 companies and should be for Washington as well.

February 9, 2009 at 8:45 pm |