February 9th, 2009

Live Blog Special: President Obama's News Conference

Want to share your thoughts on the President Obama's first official news conference? Talk to the AC360° team during the speech and let us know what you think. Just scroll down and post your comments. And don't forget to come back at 10 p.m. ET for our full coverage and analysis. Keep in mind, you have a better chance of having your comment get past our moderators if you follow our rules. Here are some of them: 1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book") 2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell) 3) Use your real name (first name only is fine) 4) No links 5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*) And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio at 10p.m. ET. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Dee F

Well, I disagree with Brandi.
    I am impressed that HE actually signs the letters.
    In a perfect world he would write them, if he had the TIME, but let us get to the point where he does not sign any of those types of letters.

February 9, 2009 at 8:45 pm |
  2. Allyson, TN

I think President Obama is starting to change the way our government functions just on the fact that he's willing to allow the American people to get on the internet and view where the money from this stimulus bill will be going. After the past eight years, that's a pretty significant step towards changing America's government.

February 9, 2009 at 8:45 pm |
  3. Vanessa, TX

I think we all have to keep in mind that the pres hasn't had 100 days in office. I think ppl are expecting too much of the pres. Hey..at least he has SOME plan.

February 9, 2009 at 8:44 pm |
  4. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Bill C, Do you really need that explained to you?

February 9, 2009 at 8:44 pm |
  5. Jasmine-Spokane,WA

I think Obama saying that change is going to be difficult and come slowly is the new hope of this year. It's starting to get irritating but then again that must mean the message is getting through to me.

February 9, 2009 at 8:44 pm |
  6. Amina L

We need money for education, whoever claims we don't doesn't grasp the fact that teachers are being fired, children are dropping out of school and many are being lost in the system. Education is the corner stone of our country, without it who would teach us how to conserve energy, save lives and write the great novels of our time. if we cut education we are basically cutting ourselves off at the knees.

February 9, 2009 at 8:44 pm |
  7. Lalana Richardson

Obama's message is about hope and helping and I'm wondering why the private sector isn't trying to do the same. I just received a notice from Capital One about two credit accounts I have with them (in good standing) that the rates are going to go up come April. How will this help those that are already struggling?

February 9, 2009 at 8:44 pm |
  8. Isabel Abreu, Brazil

US troops...
    President Obama doesn't have many options, unfortunately.

February 9, 2009 at 8:44 pm |
  9. greg

He has lost his Confidence and how can anyone believe what he says after his speech tonight

February 9, 2009 at 8:43 pm |
  10. Terry

$76.8 billion in education investments......how about telling me ....which states are getting this money...how much does each state get....does this education money go to illegal aliens?
    Is that unusual question....should we know where exactly and for what the money is going? I know where my money goes....I don't believe the government does!

February 9, 2009 at 8:43 pm |
  11. Renee

@ Mary: Love, love, love your brillant idea!

February 9, 2009 at 8:43 pm |
  12. Jamie

Republicans objecting about deficits? It doesn't pass the smell test. Put away the partisan politics, guys. Obama's got his hands full trying to solve the recession problem, but he's trying...

February 9, 2009 at 8:42 pm |
  13. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

@ WE~Sounds like us and them mentality, or should I say "WE"?

February 9, 2009 at 8:41 pm |
  14. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

The Republicans may or may not be "playing politics" with passing this bill. However, we bailed out the Financial companies without any scrutiny and now can't even explain where all the money went or what, if any, it did to help the economy. We partially bailed out the Big 3 car makers with more scrutiny, knowing that they will need to come back in March with a plan or else they have to pay the money back.

Why would we think this bill would not be held to even more critique and scrutiny?

February 9, 2009 at 8:41 pm |
  15. ebrowning

Eliza again - you'll hear more from Ed Henry on AC360 tonight! We have him lined up to tell us more....

February 9, 2009 at 8:41 pm |
  16. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Jasmine-Spokane, WA, You are right we need innovation. I don't know how anyone can think this economy can survive without it. Just about the only things left that are American made are movies.

February 9, 2009 at 8:41 pm |
  17. Bill C

Why did the President not choose random reprters for questions versus having a prepared list of reprters the called upon.

I am still unclear about the time table for the spending of the Stimulus package. I heard on another news show today that the bulk of the money will not be spent until 2010 and the balance in 2011. I am not sure how that type of delay can stimulate the economy.

February 9, 2009 at 8:41 pm |
  18. Brandi bottom of the boot

go Ed! lol

uh oh, verbal boo boo for the Prez! he should have said writing the letters to the families of those lost in the war instead of signing them, sounded so impersonal and procedural.

February 9, 2009 at 8:41 pm |
  19. Luis

I wish the President would stop campaigning and start acting. We all understand the economy needs stimulating. Start acting upon the promises.

February 9, 2009 at 8:41 pm |
  20. EJ (USA)

I’m all for putting money into consumers pockets, my question is what about college students that are claimed as a dependent. I never saw money from the bill last time because my parents claimed me.

The assumption is that if mom and/or dad is supporting you throughout college then they will get the refund and continue to support you in bigger and better ways – until you graduate. : )

February 9, 2009 at 8:41 pm |
  21. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

I hope President Obama can bring our soldiers home!

February 9, 2009 at 8:41 pm |
  22. Stacy

Ed Henry gets a shot. His question is a little out of left field for this press conference, but it's a good one.

February 9, 2009 at 8:40 pm |
  23. Jasmine-Spokane,WA

Ed Henry is taking such a different road....not many reporters have been going after that lately....saddly reminds me of how Tim Russert asked his questions. 😦

February 9, 2009 at 8:40 pm |
  24. Mary

This year is already a difficult year, Mr. President. Immediate relief is for the government to not tax us anymore and to give us back what we paid in federal income taxes in 2008.

February 9, 2009 at 8:40 pm |
  25. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Yay! Ed Henry! That was a great question...

February 9, 2009 at 8:40 pm |
  26. Andrea H Macedon NY

Good question CNN Ed Henry

February 9, 2009 at 8:40 pm |
  27. We

The man is Lying.These are his special interest-pork projects.These are things that a for later on down the road and can go through the normal process instead of trying to cram it down our throats bypassing the process that will (hopefully) protect us from this wastefull spending at the expense of the American People.This package should be about fixing the financial, credit, housing-mortgage crisis,stimulating the economy and creating private sector jobs right now and Nothing else.NOTHING!

All that other stuff needs to go.Rewrite that bill with everyone's input and ensure that goal stated here is the only one.Trash This Bill!

We Say NO!

February 9, 2009 at 8:40 pm |
  28. Renee

Here's our Ed Henry!

February 9, 2009 at 8:39 pm |
  29. Dee F

Or was he an ABC reporter? Oops!!
    Hey it was still a good question.

February 9, 2009 at 8:39 pm |
  30. Kathi Fullerton Ca

Obama said "The party is over". My questions is why wasn't I invited?

February 9, 2009 at 8:39 pm |
  31. Alfredo

What about all the Manufacturing Jobs that made and make America?

How are you going to fix that?

A question I know many Americans want to know!

February 9, 2009 at 8:39 pm |
  32. Lenn Pacaro

02/09/09
    6:25PM PST

Why are there so many people (Americans) hoping and waiting to see this President fail? The man has our interests at heart. The media should also focus and report on those
    American businesses
    that are helping make a difference.
    I watched a news report tonight on NBC Dateline where a business in Michigan that makes
    solar panels got started. It's the
    "got started" that caught my interest.

Lenn Pacaro
    lenn245@msn.com

February 9, 2009 at 8:39 pm |
  33. Mary

But for every job created it cost us $300,000 per in this stimulus bill. How many businesses can afford to spend $300,000 for one measley job?

His math is not what it should be or he isn't paying attention to how many jobs are really going to be created and how the money is mostly going to projects that don't create jobs.

February 9, 2009 at 8:38 pm |
  34. Isabel Abreu, Brazil

Eliza, I also wanted to know the same thing as Renee.

The room is full of reporters. How are they selected?

February 9, 2009 at 8:38 pm |
  35. Pamina

How long will it take to "stabilize" the economy?

February 9, 2009 at 8:38 pm |
  36. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Jasmine-Spokane, WA, He knows who his friends are!

February 9, 2009 at 8:38 pm |
  37. Stacy

@Jen: But there's no way to know exactly what will be successful. That's the thing, we've never been here before and no one knows the exact solution. What we do know is that doing nothing is not an option.

February 9, 2009 at 8:38 pm |
  38. EJ (USA)

The President answered a question on foreign policy – so he's not only taking questions on the stimulus right? Is he going to make a statement on the octuplet mom? I'd like to know what he thinks.

February 9, 2009 at 8:37 pm |
  39. Vanessa, TX

I think thats a GREAT question...how do we know that the economic prgms are working or gonna work?

February 9, 2009 at 8:37 pm |
  40. Brandi bottom of the boot

oh, and eliza, i would probably ask the President what exactly he plans to do (in a little more detail) to help new orleans to continue to recover. Its nice to designate funds for it, but I dont think the funds are getting where they need to be. there is still so much more to do. there are people who wont come back and funds are being held for them so people who want to come in are having a hard time doing so.

February 9, 2009 at 8:37 pm |
  41. Jasmine-Spokane,WA

Obama is starting to sound like Andrew Jackson. All against the second bank of the US ans Ob]ama is angered with them. Hopefully he won't take it too far, long-term, Jackson kinda ruined the bank system for this country.

February 9, 2009 at 8:37 pm |
  42. Dee F

Excellent question by the CNN reporter can't remember his name now 🙂

February 9, 2009 at 8:37 pm |
  43. Sal

His comment about those who put no money down to buy a hosue they could not afford really irritates me. When my wife and I purchased our home two years ago we were nieve and signed a fixed mortgage that became an arm in 2 yrs. We had planned on refinancing before the arm kicked in. Unfortunately the housiong market blew up and my house lost over $30,000 in value. Thus prohibiting us from being able to refinance.

We ar enot the only ones who have had this happen. This is why I hate the assumption that those who are in default or in danger of default becuase they bought houses they could not afford.

February 9, 2009 at 8:37 pm |
  44. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Rikki, I am not against the tax cuts for the middle class, but let's not think that it is going to be a panacea for the economy.

The problem is that most of these so-called "solutions" are addressing the symptoms, but not the cause.

February 9, 2009 at 8:36 pm |
  45. Terry

$13.9 billion for pell grants....hello...that's part of Yearly Ed. Budget
    $2.9 billion for weatherization programs-no can buy a tube of caulk at Wal-Mart
    More than $76.8 billion in education investments....Do We Have 100% unemployment in Education Jobs....because this doubles the Education Budget from last year.
    So you don't want call it Pork, Earmarks...how about just stupid!
    Vote no...don't panic...clear heads...I would prefer the President to actually read the 640 pages...and clean it up before it went to the Senate....

February 9, 2009 at 8:36 pm |
  46. Mercedes

I'm uncomfortable hearing about his dependence on Geithner formulating any financial plan. Isn't he the one who didn't pay his own taxes?

February 9, 2009 at 8:36 pm |
  47. Marcos Vazquez, Kearny, NJ

We need to do something to prohibit the exporting of US jobs overseas. We need all of those jobs here!!

We can place a premium on work visas and charge additional fees for visa renewals. This alone, without a stimulus, will save millions of jobs.

Additionally, all of this printed money that is not backed by gold or GDP growth will cause hyperinflation in our country and a huge devaluation of the dollar. I really believe that some businesses must go out of business in order for the market to have transparency (Survival of the fittest). Banks are not lending because their is no transparency in the market.

February 9, 2009 at 8:36 pm |
  48. Michelle

It is going to be interesting to see how the Obama
    administration handles TARP. Restoring our troubled
    banking system is a piece of the economic puzzle.

February 9, 2009 at 8:36 pm |
  49. Dee F

Joann I agree with you, in today's economy noone is spending and as for businesses hiring more people i hardly think so. The name of the game is profit. If they are getting the same output with less employees thay are not going to hire more people.
    Tax cuts help the middle class who have jobs!!
    But the jobs are gone or going, something drastic needs to be done now to stop the job losses.

February 9, 2009 at 8:35 pm |
  50. Brian B

This is a spending bill....why cant they pass something based on its merits and not pull that NewYork Mafia crapola....if you scratch my back I scratch yours.....their should be nothing tagged on this bill.

February 9, 2009 at 8:35 pm |