February 9th, 2009

Live Blog Special: President Obama's News Conference

Want to share your thoughts on the President Obama's first official news conference? Talk to the AC360° team during the speech and let us know what you think. Just scroll down and post your comments. And don't forget to come back at 10 p.m. ET for our full coverage and analysis. Keep in mind, you have a better chance of having your comment get past our moderators if you follow our rules. Here are some of them: 1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book") 2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell) 3) Use your real name (first name only is fine) 4) No links 5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*) And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio at 10p.m. ET. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. xtina, chicago IL

How about a tax break for all employed Americans, regardless of income tax bracket? NO that makes too much sense

Who knows better how to spend your money - you or Congressmen?

February 9, 2009 at 8:35 pm |
  2. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

Welcome tardy Jacqueline to this early blog!

February 9, 2009 at 8:35 pm |
  3. Jeremy

Can it be true that education can HELP solve this economic situation, while also improving the state of the union? I believe this would be called a "two-fer". Why can't this money serve two purposes? I believe tha the arguments for the schools, power plants/clean coal, etc have had good arguments for how they will help the economy. And why not try it?

February 9, 2009 at 8:35 pm |
  4. Jonathan

Wow, the president really took a left hook from that first question asked by the AP reporter. He completely lost confidence after the question. His speech was originally confident and for the most part on point but after that first question, he just fell apart. The presidents vocal pattern changed, he was quieter, made less eye contact, stuttered, had broken sentences, babbled, changed topics, etc. It was the first time I have seen Obama waver under pressure. I never expected to see this reaction from him.

February 9, 2009 at 8:35 pm |
  5. Mercedes

No, Mr. President, you should change our bad habits now...don't throw more money after bad...get a good plan the majority of americans agrees with first. You are putting the cart before the horse and you are doing it at an astronomical amount out of the starting gate.

February 9, 2009 at 8:35 pm |
  6. Abdullahi Roble

We all know we have problem, we love to solve the problem but can we solve without agreeing the causes. I think the causes of this problem is simple but nobody pays attention. Think this way of you get a bad image as person nobody will hire you, if you get a bad image as company nobody will buy your products or services, and if get a bad reputation as government nobody wil invest in your country.
    So the president needs to improve the country image

February 9, 2009 at 8:34 pm |
  7. Rikki, Fargo, ND

It is so nice to hear that he is talking about oversight!

February 9, 2009 at 8:34 pm |
  8. Brandi bottom of the boot

@EJ

rofl, you are on a roll tonite! let me know if you find 24! and i would hold off on the flat screen unless you just have the money to throw around! lol

oh, and hello eliza, dont believe i have ever blogged with you before, welcome to our little groupie world! lol we follow AC, David Gergen, John King, Jack Gray, etc... and of course Erica, if you show us more of yourself, maybe we can add Eliza to the list! lol

February 9, 2009 at 8:34 pm |
  9. Renee

Eliza/CNN: How does a reporter get on the President's short list tonight? Is CNN going to get called on?

February 9, 2009 at 8:33 pm |
  10. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

That is a great question! Of course he is going to ask for more money!

February 9, 2009 at 8:33 pm |
  11. Jasmine-Spokane,WA

all america needs is innovation, we've lost that talent.

February 9, 2009 at 8:33 pm |
  12. Isabel Abreu, Brazil

And the problems with the health system?

February 9, 2009 at 8:33 pm |
  13. Jen

The president doesn't have to spend $800 billion. He could choose to spend half that and make sure he really knows it is going to be successful before putting us so far into debt with no guarantee it will even work.

February 9, 2009 at 8:33 pm |
  14. Cessy, Chicago

University of Chicago Hospital is going to lay off 500 people. That's in the President's neighborhood and Mrs. Obama's old place of work. How can they help these people? And Oh yeah, we spent thousands of dollars putting banners in downtown Chicago to welcome the first family this weekend. What is going on here???

February 9, 2009 at 8:33 pm |
  15. Alfredo

What about all the Manufacturing Jobs that made and make America?

A question I know many Americans want to know!

February 9, 2009 at 8:33 pm |
  16. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

EJ (USA), You have to hear Bose to believe it! It makes everything a super experience!

February 9, 2009 at 8:32 pm |
  17. Renee

Okay, President Obama needs some coaching he is contradicting himself with Chuck Todd on consumer spending.

February 9, 2009 at 8:31 pm |
  18. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

That is right Paulette. Republicans got us here, they are just POed that the democrats won so they want to be immature and not co-operate. Silly elephants.

February 9, 2009 at 8:31 pm |
  19. Amina L

I'm all for putting money into consumers pockets, my question is what about college students that are claimed as a dependent. I never saw money from the bill last time because my parents claimed me.

February 9, 2009 at 8:31 pm |
  20. Wes Ketchem

He is talking to Republicians, he has to explain it more. they don't understand.

February 9, 2009 at 8:31 pm |
  21. Brian B

My city just raised the taxable value of my home by 20k even though properties in my area have lost that much in value...I say we need to root out all the theives in this economey so the honest man can make a living.

February 9, 2009 at 8:31 pm |
  22. Michelle

President Obama is right. 20th century economic
    theories are a thing of the past. Capitalism must
    evolve. Growing a green economy would be a
    big plus.

February 9, 2009 at 8:31 pm |
  23. Jen

If Bush and the Democrat approved stimulus bill last year was such a failure then why is the president proposing tonight that we should rush into another big bill much like that one. Does he just think that changing presidents (and not changing big dollar stimulus bills) is the solution? That doesn't make any sense to me.

February 9, 2009 at 8:31 pm |
  24. Jacqueline, NY

Hi Gang! Sorry I'm late at this early juncture. 🙂

February 9, 2009 at 8:30 pm |
  25. Jasmine-Spokane,WA

I like how he seeked Chuck Todd out of the audience.....

February 9, 2009 at 8:30 pm |
  26. Vanessa, TX

Is Ed Henry there? I wonder what quest he's gonna ask. I'm hoping that the pres will also provide actual money to us..is that in the stimulus plan? Actual money?

February 9, 2009 at 8:30 pm |
  27. Steve

The President is right we need to manufacture more and consume less.

February 9, 2009 at 8:30 pm |
  28. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Exactly JoAnn!

But if we don't cut taxes the chance to stimulate the economy is non-existent, It will take time, years even but something has to be done now so that we don't hit a 1930's depression.

February 9, 2009 at 8:30 pm |
  29. Isabel Abreu, Brazil

The approval of the package would, that the President left behind a difficult week.

February 9, 2009 at 8:30 pm |
  30. We

We say No! We oppose the American Recovery and Reinvestment Bill of 2009.

Congress should not enact an expensive spending bill under the pretense of stimulus or recovery. We cannot spend our way to prosperity, and such an expansion of the federal government will put a crushing burden on taxpayers in the long-term. If there is an infrastructure bill, it should repair deficient roads and bridges only, not directly or indirectly fund special interest pork-projects that will not stimulate this economy at all and bury the American people with ongoing debt and more debt creation.

Central planning and bigger government cannot solve our problems. Authorizing the proposed bill will only be throwing good money after bad. Instead of trying to pick winners and losers from Washington, Congress should cut spending, strip down onerous regulations and allow individuals and free enterprise to flourish.One-time spending on hand-picked projects will not lead to sustained economic growth. I urge everyone to vote NO on American Recovery and Reinvestment Bill of 2009. The problem with Mr. Obama's Plan For Stimulating Our Economy is-There is No Plan!

**One more thing,Mr. Obama's email list is compromised of His crooked bought and paid for "ACORN" support systems and bears little in comparison to the majority of the overall masses of American People Who Do Not Want A Government Controlled Poverty-Welfare Nation Created By Mr. Obama and his Government.

February 9, 2009 at 8:29 pm |
  31. Mercedes

State of the art schools is a bill to be debated in an appropriations committee and on the floor during regular senate sessions; not during a emergency stimulus bill hearing.

February 9, 2009 at 8:29 pm |
  32. Isabel Abreu, Brazil

The (sad) reality is that if the package doesn't pass everyone we (including foreigners) would pay, and much, for decades.

February 9, 2009 at 8:28 pm |
  33. Renee

President Obama I want the government to do something ethically and be responsible.

February 9, 2009 at 8:28 pm |
  34. Sal

My other problem with his idea of giving americans more money back in their paycheck every week as opposed to another stimulus check. What people fail to realize about his plan is that while we would be getting more money in our paychecks now, but would end up getting taxed on that when we file our tax returns. Simply because we would have had higher taxable income this year.

February 9, 2009 at 8:28 pm |
  35. greg

Does anyone know where Obama's speech writer is as he is being left alone answering the questions..he is scrambling by not answering questions..just going on as blah blah blah

February 9, 2009 at 8:28 pm |
  36. Vanessa, TX

I think he needs some "Bushism" so he won't loose this crowd. His answers are pretty long.

February 9, 2009 at 8:27 pm |
  37. Betty

I wish the president would allow for a respectful debate in a timely fashion as he is saying he will, instead of forcing a stimulus bill which is supposed to be an emergency economic solution; not a bill to put all this other stuff in that he is talking about long term stuff.

February 9, 2009 at 8:27 pm |
  38. Brian B

Why not talk about rooting out the theft in the health care system....

February 9, 2009 at 8:27 pm |
  39. Paulette, Spring Hill Fl

Didn't the republicans put us in this deficiet? I believe so!! Now
    they don't want to help bail out this country!! Shame, shame
    All of a sudden when Bush leaves they worry about the economy
    and money!! They will not get ahead in Congress, we all know
    they are for big business!

February 9, 2009 at 8:27 pm |
  40. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

My company just dropped the bomb on us today by announcing no merit increases, no company matches to 401K plans, no company picnic, no travel, focus will be on reducing costs. We are anticipating no bonus this year, even though that won't be announced until later this month.

In my entire lifetime and a business perspective, I've never seen it so bad so Pres. Obama does have a point about the economy heading into catastrophy.

February 9, 2009 at 8:27 pm |
  41. Alfredo

I have him on my 42 inch!

February 9, 2009 at 8:26 pm |
  42. Stacy

Good point from Obama re: making buildings energy efficient.

February 9, 2009 at 8:26 pm |
  43. pastor TL Rogers

Since there is great concern that those who receive the stimulus checks would not spend them why not give reimbursements when items are purchased.

February 9, 2009 at 8:26 pm |
  44. Amina L

Energy conservation is key, it's one of the quickest ways to become dependent.

February 9, 2009 at 8:26 pm |
  45. Jeremy

He is "candidate" Commander-in-Chief until he starts to gain confidence in his cabinet, his policies, and continues to reach across partisan-divides. Remember, he has only been in office for a few weeks, and ANY type of perceived mistakes that he makes now will continue with him for the remainder of the term.

February 9, 2009 at 8:25 pm |
  46. Steve

Why is no one asking the Republiucan Senators who call this a "spending bill", where were they when there was a vote for how much money to spend in Iraq and not here?

February 9, 2009 at 8:25 pm |
  47. EJ (USA)

EJ (USA), I think he would suggest that you go for the 32″ and throw in a Bose sound system just for good measure!

Cool – what is Bose? If that's something that makes things extra loud I'll probably skip it. I get scared by how loud the sound is in movie theaters. Even the previews scare me because its so loud.

Isabel – I only have a 20 inch and I've been having trouble seeing the darker scenes in movies lately. I figure with some of my tax refund I can buy some happiness with a flat screen TV and also make it easier on my eyes.

Also, this purchase will surely stimulate the economy.

February 9, 2009 at 8:25 pm |
  48. Brian B

I think homeowners who have kept their mortgages only to see sinking home values and increasing property taxes should see some bail-out. Maybe a grant to fix up your house thus increasing the value of the home and creating jobs by letting the homeowner hire contracters to do the work...

February 9, 2009 at 8:25 pm |
  49. Mercedes

Why is the president trying to make this stimulus bill about conflict between the republicans and the democrats and trying to divide the nation by focusing on this line of thinking instead of saying, "the republicans have a right to disagree with me?"

February 9, 2009 at 8:25 pm |
  50. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

Hello early eager bloggers! We have to do something. The republicans gave plenty to the rich CEO's. I don't know why they don't want to help the people now, except to be aggravating.
    What do you think?