February 9th, 2009

Live Blog Special: President Obama's News Conference

Want to share your thoughts on the President Obama's first official news conference? Talk to the AC360° team during the speech and let us know what you think. Just scroll down and post your comments. And don't forget to come back at 10 p.m. ET for our full coverage and analysis. Keep in mind, you have a better chance of having your comment get past our moderators if you follow our rules. Here are some of them: 1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book") 2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell) 3) Use your real name (first name only is fine) 4) No links 5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*) And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio at 10p.m. ET. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Renee

Poor President Obama, he just needs a power point presentation for the press! Were's Ross Perot when the President needs him and his charts?

February 9, 2009 at 8:24 pm |
  2. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Rikki, That is the problem, people did not spend those last tax cuts, they paid off debt with them. If they were afraid to spend it then why would they spend it now when the economy is even worse?

February 9, 2009 at 8:24 pm |
  3. Randy Fritzherald

How does giving Wall Street billions of dollars help bring jobs back? Big business doesnt support America. Give the money to the people and small buisnesses that havent screwed up and aren't already rich.

February 9, 2009 at 8:24 pm |
  4. Rikki, Fargo, ND

He is right, inaction is not an option. We do have to do something to get our economy going and the only way to do that is by spending money. The cornerstone of an economy is consumer spending.

February 9, 2009 at 8:23 pm |
  5. Tim

If congress can't come together on getting the economy back on track, then force them to go with no salary as if they had no job....they would resolve this problem so fast our heads would spin.....they don't seem to live in the "real" world.....

February 9, 2009 at 8:23 pm |
  6. Michelle

I think President Obama is right on this one.
    This is a no brainer. We can not do the same
    things that created this mess. The world is
    watching and waiting for America to take action.

February 9, 2009 at 8:23 pm |
  7. Candice - Fort Worth, Tx

I see President Obama doing everythiing he can to help our country out of the mess he inherited. I see the Republicans as doing whatever they can to keep Pres. Obama from getting anything done. It's almost as if they want to see the country fail so they can say, "We told you so." No one is claiming that this plan is perfect, but it will help to begin to address our problems. Can our economy get much worse with the Obama plan? People who have very little are flat scared of the future. We are in a real mess and there is no end in sight!

Congress needs to work together, not in an adversarial way. Remember the old adage: United we stand, divided we fail! It's what happened to the Roman Empire. It's not too late to stop our collapse, but it's pretty late according to history!\

Why can't our leaders work together? This situation goes beyond Democrat or Republican.

February 9, 2009 at 8:23 pm |
  8. Sal

I would ask him how he wants to help homeowners who are in danger of going into default on their mortgage. I tried contacting my mortgage lender to ask for assistance and was told that there was really nothing they could do to help me since i was not in defualt or deliquent yet I understand that people who are already in defualt need assistance, but cannot beleive that nothing can be done to help those who are on the brink of going into default..

February 9, 2009 at 8:23 pm |
  9. Stacy

That was a very annoying question from Chip Reid. Bipartisanship is a two-way street. Obama has reached out plenty.

February 9, 2009 at 8:23 pm |
  10. Jennifer

The president shouldn't call american legislators exercising their democratic right to question bills as "bad habits." And he shouldn't say it is playing politics or that the other party does not care about the hurting people because they choose not to vote for a bill that has so many questionable items in it.

February 9, 2009 at 8:22 pm |
  11. Isabel Abreu, Brazil

Bipartisanship?

The package will pass the Senate and this game, of the Conservatives, is for after say that don't participated this initiative if the end is unhappy. Sometimes the policy isn't anything honest.

February 9, 2009 at 8:22 pm |
  12. Brandi bottom of the boot

i have been unemployed for a year now, dont qualify for anymore UI benefits, and im certain i wont get much help with any of the tax stuff either. im a nursing student right now. i dont think any of it is going to help me much.

February 9, 2009 at 8:21 pm |
  13. Isabel Abreu, Brazil

Regarding unemployment, which will be done?

For the unemployed, the policy of support should be competent and effective. We do not want to see barker through the streets, or growth of underemployment or people jumping the border, running behind of work.

PS. (Barker: is this the word?)
    I meant itinerant trade and informal

February 9, 2009 at 8:21 pm |
  14. Jeremy

Let's get back to the economy here! He's the man with a plan, and his perceived confidence in the proposed House and Senate plans are going to go a long way for the future of this Presidency.

February 9, 2009 at 8:21 pm |
  15. Eric From BC

Elizabeth,
    I would ask the president whether he is on track with his agenda to reform the way Washington thinks about the issues. He has stated at length a way of moving forward for the Americain people and has met with a lot of anticipated resistence from all sides. Within his ability to speak as freely as he can I am yearning for his candid view of the the Washington world as president. I suppose I will have to wait for his new book for this revelation but not unlike Harry Potter I really would like to know the author's views ahead of the publication... Regards.. Eric

February 9, 2009 at 8:20 pm |
  16. heather

Hi I think that free national healthcare should be a part of the stimulus bill.

February 9, 2009 at 8:20 pm |
  17. Andrew

uh-oh, I love Barack, but he seems flustered by the q's. Was the first answer 20 minutes?

February 9, 2009 at 8:20 pm |
  18. Jennifer

I agree that with rights comes responsibilities in regards to Iran.

February 9, 2009 at 8:20 pm |
  19. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Tax cuts do help people without work indirectly. With tax cuts, employers also pay lower taxes and the allows them to hire for more positions. Tax cuts will help the working class, the idea is that they will spend the additional pay they get which will stimulate the economy which will in turn create more jobs.

February 9, 2009 at 8:20 pm |
  20. EJ (USA)

I love the President and all but this is kinda boring. Maybe its because I don't need to be convinced and also I'm tired. I need to see some sort of action movie or TV drama.

February 9, 2009 at 8:19 pm |
  21. greg

Obama is still in Election mode making this speech tonight, never answering a question directly and what is the guarantee from him if I keep spending that I will not loose my job!!!

February 9, 2009 at 8:19 pm |
  22. Jennifer

Just testing to see if my post makes it on during this live blog.

February 9, 2009 at 8:19 pm |
  23. Vanessa, TX

Isn't this press conf about the economic plan or is it just me? I ask that because the woman from reuters ia asking about foreign policy..

February 9, 2009 at 8:18 pm |
  24. Priscilla

Did we not just have an election? Election for change. For the man who promised such change. I understand checks and balance, but...... . So, (to all those in the government) can we get started?

February 9, 2009 at 8:18 pm |
  25. Joyce

Seems like much of Obama's job creations will occur in Washington, D.C. I haven't seen any other President during my life spend so much money for entertaining events which was telecasted on HBO channel prior to being sworn into office. Am I wrong?

February 9, 2009 at 8:18 pm |
  26. Isabel Abreu, Brazil

With the current economic crisis, it is best to stay with the old TV and wait to buy a flat screen.

But I confess, President Obama is in my 32 inch

February 9, 2009 at 8:17 pm |
  27. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Obama is still sounding like a candidate rather than the Commander-in-Chief. He is reiterating word for word what he has said in speeches as if he is reading from a script.

February 9, 2009 at 8:17 pm |
  28. Vanessa, TX

WOW...early blogging?! NICE...
    I had skepticism about this plan prior to today...I think the pres. has answered some of my ques. about this plan..I think he's right, if we don't do something now we might not be able to come out from this recession anytime soon.
    Thanx for the early blog

February 9, 2009 at 8:16 pm |
  29. EJ (USA)

Is 24 coming on tonight? I was already sold on the stimulus long time ago – so I just don't want to miss 24.

February 9, 2009 at 8:15 pm |
  30. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

EJ (USA), I think he would suggest that you go for the 32" and throw in a Bose sound system just for good measure!

February 9, 2009 at 8:15 pm |
  31. Alfredo

Impressed with what I am hearing tonite but........ What about all the Manufacturing Jobs that make and made America?

February 9, 2009 at 8:15 pm |
  32. Jeremy

Aside of the deliberations over how this money is being spent, I believe that swift, firm, imperfect action will serve a better purpose than deliberating this package for another two months.

February 9, 2009 at 8:14 pm |
  33. Wes Ketchem

Tax cuts doesn't help people without work

February 9, 2009 at 8:14 pm |
  34. Isabel Abreu, Brazil

Hi, Eliza!
    t’s so good to see you!

Eliza and Anderson,
    In the measures of the package, should not be included decrease the interest rate in mortgages and more tax breaks for the middle class? Ie, more money for the people consumes and leverages the economy.

February 9, 2009 at 8:13 pm |
  35. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

Hello Eliza and other bloggers! I would ask Pres. Obama how his plan/bill is going to create more jobs this year. It appears most jobs won't be created until 2010 and beyond.

February 9, 2009 at 8:13 pm |
  36. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Many of those proposed jobs may temporarily stimulate the economy, but what are his plans for after those contracts run out?

February 9, 2009 at 8:13 pm |
  37. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Good Evening Everybody! Hope everyone had a great weekend! I've been looking forward to the news conference all day!

February 9, 2009 at 8:12 pm |
  38. Jeanne

What are the light fixtures behind the President? Where was this broadcast from? Is there any signifigance in the lights? There were a great distraction, to me. Thanks! Jz

February 9, 2009 at 8:12 pm |
  39. EJ (USA)

I'd ask the President whether I should get a 26 inch flat screen TV or a 32 inch.

February 9, 2009 at 8:12 pm |
  40. ebrowning

Hey - Eliza again from AC360 - what would you ask the President?

February 9, 2009 at 8:10 pm |
  41. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I'd like to know how Obama is going to force people to spend that tax cut money. When Bush tried it people paid down their debts with it and the economy is even worse now. They aren't going to be spending that money on big screen TVs or SUVs and we will be back in the same position we are now.

Tax cuts alone won't do it. They need to work on the housing problem.

February 9, 2009 at 8:10 pm |
  42. Jeremy

He is such a good public speaker, I just wish he would look forward into the cameras instead of into the teleprompters!

February 9, 2009 at 8:09 pm |
  43. Renee

Obama said, "We must choice hope over fear." Do I hear fear again from him tonight? Failure to act.

February 9, 2009 at 8:07 pm |
  44. ebrowning

Hey Everyone! This is Eliza from AC360 - make sure to tune in after Obama's speech for full coverage and analysis by the best political team on TV. And then, of course, we have a special AC360 lined up for you where we'll drill down into Pres. Obama's speech, and the issues. What do you think about the news conference so far?

February 9, 2009 at 8:07 pm |
  45. EJ (USA)

I'm here but there's nothing much to say. Anderson could drop in and say hi perhaps.

February 9, 2009 at 8:07 pm |
  46. Isabel Abreu, Brazil

This is a moment, when President Obama tries to regain the impulse after facing constraints because of fiscal irregularities of its indicated the positions of the first step, and an unexpected delay in approval of the package in Congress, where the majority is Democratic.

February 9, 2009 at 8:05 pm |
  47. Isabel Abreu, Brazil

Just me here?
    I only look forward, today?

Where are the other bloggers?

Mr. President is talking!

February 9, 2009 at 8:04 pm |
  48. Eric Salzmann

President Obama stated that he "screwed up." What did he screw up ........that fact that he chose Daschle or continued with his nomination following the revelation of his tax problems? If the later is true, why did the President follow through with Tim Geithner's nomination?

February 9, 2009 at 8:03 pm |
  49. Isabel Abreu, Brazil

Much anxiety for President Obama's News Conference

February 9, 2009 at 7:53 pm |
  50. Isabel Abreu, Brazil

Hi, Anderson, AC360 team and bloggers!
    Evening for everyone!