February 8th, 2009

Dear President Obama #20: Greetings from Middle Earth

Reporter's Note: President Obama has asked for ideas to help America, and I’m doing my part. Even on the weekends.

Tom Foreman | Bio
AC360° Correspondent

Dear Mr. President,

This whole stimulus business has been quite the drama. Too much to dwell on for a Sunday, so let me turn my attention to something else: Bipartisanship.

I’m not sure what this means anymore. We’ve spent an awful lot of years viewing all that happens in politics through the twin lenses of the Democrats and Republicans. We’ve reasoned, as a society, that if one party pulls the wheel to the left, and the other to the right, the ship of state might head in a direction that most of us can live with.

But as everyone knows, these days that theory seems to be running us into the rocks too often. Almost everyone complains that Washington just can’t get things done, and certainly not with a spirit of cooperation that might give us a little faith that adults are minding the fire in the kitchen. Republicans poke Democrats in the eye. Democrats sling mud at Republicans. Each side says the other started it. Welcome to kindergarten.

It always seems like the most strident and least reasonable voices dominate the debate; as if Congress is a bigger version of The View . I know that there are well-intentioned and passionate people on both sides of many issues, and I’m not asking them to hold hands and sing “We’re Going to Be Friends,” although that is a great song. But why don’t we hear a little more respect for the middle?

You were elected, in large part, not by Democrats or wandering Republicans, but by Independents. Middle people. A lot of the Party Faithful on both sides dismiss this crowd as wishy-washy; unwilling to take a stand. Not me. I’ve met too many of them. They are taking a stand; against the whole idea of blind loyalty to parties, and they believe you can be their champion. It is a terrible and lonely job, let me warn you. Like being an ethics advisor on Wall Street.

But wouldn’t it be interesting to hear Washington talking a little more about TRI-partisanship? After all, much of the middle is already in your corner.

Enjoy what’s left of the weekend. I may take the girls to see that new movie, Coraline. Hey now, popcorn!

Give me a ring when you have a minute.

Regards,

Tom

To find more of the Foreman letters, click here.

1. gemma

What scary is how some people are still fanatically enamoured with Bush, yeah, that one. He was useless and shouldn't have been president at all, he made a mess of everything. I'm amazed at the nerve of Republicans complaining about the high cost of the stimulus when for the past 8 years, they have rubber-stamped all of Bush's irresponsible spending, and what did we get for it, a trillion deficit and nothing to show for it. Thank God, we have a President now who can think deeply and intelligently and knows the daily struggles of the common people and cares to help us, unlike the idiot he replaced in the White House. What's wrong with America is we have been led to believe/ brainwashed by big business and corporations that it's ok for them to profit billions of dollars at the expense of the common folks who are struggling to pay for high prices of gas, health insurance, tuition fees, etc. God forbid that we increase workers' wages and benefits, this will surely be bad for business and maybe close shop and go elsewhere., what hogwash! If they can pay million dollar bonuses to executives of failed companies, surely they can afford to make lives a little better for their workers.
    I hope, in the next election of senators in 2 years time, some Republicans would be voted out to give Pres Obama a majority of both Houses. With the nightmare of the past 8 years, I trust him to do good by the American people than those hateful R's.

February 10, 2009 at 2:52 am |
  2. Annie Kate

Bipartisan? To me that means that both parties having stated what they want over a bill will sit down and sincerely work out a compromise somewhere in the middle of the two stands. Compromise doesn't seem to be a word Congress knows but it gets things done and its relatively painless. Try it sometime.

February 9, 2009 at 3:49 pm |
  3. Mary V., Salt Lake City, UT

Interesting comments! I ask that EACH of you, please consider writing to your Congressional representatives! IT IS crucial that they HEAR from we, the People!

Please, take time to go to Whitehouse.gov, and READ the Bill for yourselves! Don't just be "spoon fed" by the media!

We need, tax breaks for small businesses with less than 1000 employees, and making 250K and less. These businesses are the ones that are the backbone of our economy.

We need to STOP....... ALL Foreign Aid, to countries like Israel and Japan, etc. Billions are sent to countries abroad that WE NEED!

Let's STOP complaining and criticizing and OFFER SOLUTIONS!

AMERICA........ YES WE CAN...... AND YES WE WILL ....... RETURN TO PROSPERITY! DON'T GIVE UP HOPE!

February 9, 2009 at 11:17 am |
  4. Milton Thompson

Dear President Obama
    I would like the Treasury Secretary to stop the banks from charging their customers $30 fees for items on hold in their checking account and just process the transactions as they occur. This happens when your Debit card is used as a credit card at certain merchants, hotels and rent a car companies. This practice needs to stop because it is depriving struggling famalies of cash they don't have.

I would love CNN to do an investigative report on these practises.

February 9, 2009 at 10:22 am |
  5. Rosario Sulit-Belviz

I wonder why Pres Obama wants to continue the killing of babies by lifting the ban on funds for abortion overseas. Why is he acting like Herod who ordered the babies and children in Bethlehem killed? He is more than Herod with his lifting the ban....Does he know this will include the poor babies in his African lineage?

February 9, 2009 at 10:14 am |
  6. Barb

Let's see... Our legislative branch of the government has the Democratic majority and has been in control of the Congress for the last two years... and now the executive branch with Obama...

Okay... folks... one party rule is a little scary... especially if things do not improve in a big way... I see a bunch of fools in office with Peloisi and Reid at the top. Is this change.... it is a bunch of same... ?

Wonder why our legislative branch of government has such a low rating???

February 9, 2009 at 9:08 am |
  7. Nora Halpert

bIG gOV'T has never saved us from any economic down turn...only stimulus to the private sector like creating new companys on good ideas...good business plans and saving good companies from collapase will create the new jobs that are the foundation to any recovery.

The private sector is our only hope. The big boom of the 1990s was created by the private sector.......New techologies – new jobs....

Big gov't is not the answer..

February 9, 2009 at 8:39 am |
  8. Nora Halpert

Obama has star quality and has master PR instincts that does not make him a good leader...especially in times like these...........
    His background scares me: community organizer! The trouble with democrats is they look to big gov't to solve problems, they are like children thinking all they have to do is throw money at the problem.
    In less than 2 months Obama is doing same o..same o where is all the change he promised. This bail out is the same as in 72 with wall street, 78 with chrysler, 90's with the s&Ls ...same o same o......
    Clinton did not create the great ecomony of the 90's it was hi tech 5th generation which created jobs in the private sector.
    The only way out ot this mess is creating jobs in the PRIVATE SECTOR.

February 9, 2009 at 8:32 am |
  9. marc

Please explain to me why I can't have the Government I voted for. It never fails to amaze me. The people speak with their vote and Government dosen't listen. Do they actually believe they are smarter then the people they serve? Haven't we shoen them at the polls theyare not? Once again it appears that there adjenda is more important then "We the people"

February 9, 2009 at 8:05 am |
  10. Mary Norcross Georgia

Most Americans will never see the stimulus money, the economy has been so bad, that creditors will take every penny the government sends out and nearly 50% or recipients will not see a dime. Mr. President if you want to boost the economy, send the stimulus money directly to the people who has file their taxes and stipulate that no other hands will indulge in it. Many people have bills, some have no health insurance, I would rather a family who has been without a job be able to take their children or family and pay the doctor so they can stay well enough to find a job. The stimulus sent to individuals without a hands off approach is only going to line the pockets of creditors, and the individual will not be able to decide which creditor gets the funds. So if you are going to send Americans 300 to 600 dollars it should be directly to them and no one else, otherwise you are just fueling the pockets of the financial institution through a back door loop hold and you will never know they got the billions of dollars.

February 9, 2009 at 6:53 am |
  11. Lynette

I think I't funny how when Bush wanted to bailout the banks it was the right thing to do and the bill was passed in a few days. Now that Obama is trying to help everday Americans it's called socialism. I'm glad that Obama is doing something. People are losing jobs everyday, but the republicians can't understand that because they have a job. They voted against Obama's plan because the speaker of the house hurt their feelings. She's being mean! I say Good luck getting re-elected. Let's stop hating and pray for our leaders and pray for our country. The USA is the greatest country in the world! I want Obama to succed so we can continue to be the greatest.

February 9, 2009 at 3:24 am |
  12. Dr.Tang

The recession supposed to teach us to live WITHIN our means and save for the future,now the new president want to spend money we don't have to stimulate the people to spend money nobody have ,It is so obviously WRONG.and against common sense. He is going to FLOP that will make all people that support OBAMA look bad. I make 6 digit salary and my house is only 600 sq.ft. and drive a 10 years old Mercedes that I bought 5 years ago as a used car.

February 9, 2009 at 3:13 am |
  13. Donna Shaw

I listened to what Mr. Steele the new chairman of the RNC had to say about the stimulus plan and his basic dislike of a plan that only offered work that was time limited by the projects being built but would not create those jobs that were created by business that would be long term jobs. He and the other Republicans that are screaming and being absolutely disagreeable about the possibilty of helping the people of America just don't get it!!! I doubt very seriously that anyone that can't pay their mortgage or rent and face being thrown into the street or can't pay the light bill knowing that it cold outside and can't feed their family really cares wether the source that will pay and help to eliminate these terrors is a job or just work.

February 9, 2009 at 3:09 am |
  14. Sharon VA

Like I said before, Too Many Egos and not enough care is what both of these pathetic self centered parties have going on!

They could care less if middle class America? Wait does that term really even exist anymore?
    I mean wasn't it the middle class who has been footing the bill for all these taxes for years and years President after President?

Weren't the Middle class the ones who got screwed every time Congress came up with a tax cut?

And now look Middle Class America is ceasing to no longer exist!

We are becoming a country of simply two groups, Wealthy and Poor!

and Oh yeah the welfare/Disability class, but don't worry they will soon go the way of poor because the Middle Class who are losing their jobs and homes will no longer be able to foot the bill for Welfare and All the nice handouts the democrats have so graciously handed them all these years!

So go on Congress keep up your selfish egotism of getting what you want and not worrying about us because in my book your doing me a favor!

At least if I don't work I won't be paying the outragious taxes anymore and I won't have to fed the mouths of Kids who don't belong to me and I won't be footing the bill for worthless lazy so called Americans who just refuse to work!!!

Hey this could be a good thing after all!

February 9, 2009 at 2:51 am |
  15. Ty

Times are really bad all over. Politicians, especially Republicans are so out of touch with average everyday Americans. The cost of everything is high & over priced today. The last stimulus was an insult. Most people can't afford what property cost today & rent is getting out of hand. Politicians have more properties than they can count. The only people living the American Dreams are entertainer's, atheletes, Wall Street executives & politicians. We were robbed of the little retirement saving we had that we will never get back & couldn't afford to lose. We over paid for gasoline, food & transportation for over 2years. People lost their homes & jobs. What more do you think do we have to give up while republicans argue over this stimulus package?

February 9, 2009 at 2:35 am |
  16. fairfax007

I am thinking that maybe we could stimulate our stimulus package if we took a good look at the back taxes due records of every member of the House and Senate and collected that money, It would not surprise me if the Republicans barking the loudest against the stimulus package owe the most.

February 9, 2009 at 1:57 am |
  17. skalion7

Dear Stimulus Package,

I can tell you what you shouldn't do, is bail out those people that picked the lottery option of the swing arm loan mortgages that happen to be plague to the rest of the American population. Thanks to these people that assumed they would gain equity on lottery. Gambling has been approved in only limited area's in the USA; and all of a sudden all tax payers have to pay the consequences from this pathetic display of mortgages allowed in the United States.

Who should be held accountable the typical American's paying taxes or the CEO's of company's allowing this practice to happen.

Having a national bail out for these people that took out the ARM loans is like legalizing gambling nation wide.

I don't gamble for a reason, why should others do the same with my hard payed tax dollars???

skalion7

February 9, 2009 at 1:33 am |
  18. Mo

the damage that has been done to the economy within the last 8 years can not be undone in a couple of months, the president have good intentions and some good ideas too to fix our economic problems, but for those intentions and ideas to make a positive impact on the current situation both parties need to lay off their personal and ideological agendas and think about what is best for the average american...for once!

February 9, 2009 at 1:17 am |
  19. J.V.Hodgson

Well done you got the problem but as usual nothing about the solution and the media could help in this respect.
    Start a serious and effective campaign against lobbying and pork, and to do that effectively campaign to stop Companies from giving money, benefits and perks of any description directly or indirectly to Individual House representatives or Senators. Limit them ( companies) to position papers only to the DNC or RNC dedicated web sites and restrict access to Senators and house representatives only, and, if they wish on thier own company websites as Political statements on current or proposed legisalation, then let them do that. If you guys as media can be persuaded to publish thier views please feel free for or against, but have a view, editorial or personal as needed.
    Senators and reps can still bring pet subjects to vote, but will have to prove a much stronger case, pork = buying votes on other much more critical legislative issues.Nonsense.
    Lobbying, is an interested groups needs and desires and automatically is a conflict of interest to the ultimate legislation.
    We pay our Reps and senators to think in terms of government of the people for the people and by the people, not specific state needs or the needs of any particular industry eg Auto, pharmaceuticals. The price of medication in the US is usurious compared with any other Western developed nation and is a national disgrace caused by lobbying!!
    Take the money away and our government reps may vote thier mind or better still the interests of thier constituents, and not thier pocket.
    Some better chance of the missing Bi- partisan ship??
    Have a good weekend.
    Regards,
    Hodgson.

February 9, 2009 at 1:00 am |
  20. Gayle

Sorry for the rank.

Idea's to help America

I personally will be helping my local schools with donated time. They will have to cut back, so my way of helping is to fill a void. The children should not suffer.

I will withdrawn my money from A big Bank in America and give my business to a locally owned bank.

Advice to President Obama

You can NEVER make all of the people happy all of the time. You have to be true to your convictions.

I would prefer you send us, the taxpaying public, the balance of the "Bailout money", divided equally and let the creators of this mess sleep in the beds they made.

February 9, 2009 at 12:56 am |
  21. Gayle

Independent Obama voter here! Very disappointing this stimulus package. Pres. Obama was elected because he spoke to the people about our concerns, not because he would help big business and wall street. ( No caps due to no respect) From what I have read, much of the stimulus will creat/save jobs. Much, maybe too much pork has been trimmed. My real problem with the house, senate (no caps again), and perhaps Mr. Obama is giving wall street and these banks more money! Are you serious??? Give the very silver spoon idiots more money? Really? I say let them eat cake! What is the worst that could happen? Unemployment, markets crashing and the dollar worth monopoly money? Oh yeah, that has already happened, just hasn't happened to the silver spooners. I see this in simple terms, the government has and will spend my children and grandchildrens tax dollars to save wall street and the banks.

February 9, 2009 at 12:43 am |
  22. Mark The Carpenter

Jarrod, your blog was intense.
    let's all try to be positive. I am curious however as you, how much money the average American can expect in interest dividends from all these loans the US Government is making for us ?
    Stephanie, I agree with you.
    We all deserve a LIBOL, " low interest bail out loan", " lie-bowl", including Michael Phelps and all his Olympic buddies.

PS

My response to the " Praying Senator" Blog..AC/DC 360 is.
    "Respect all life, At any cost ".

Mark The Carpenter

February 9, 2009 at 12:41 am |
  23. Luna

I would like to know if President Obama will have the people on unemployment have to pay taxes on these benefits. I believe he mentioned when he was campaning that he would not have them pay taxes on unemployment for two years. That was due to the economy situation. Is that true???

February 9, 2009 at 12:38 am |
  24. Liv McLea

I'm very confused by the Republican's! They keep harping on tax cuts! Don't they know that tax cuts don't matter to people who don't have jobs??? Get the people working BEFORE you talk about cutting their taxes. The more the Republicans talk the dumber they make themselves sound. To have to listen to someone say it's not a stimulus package it's just alot of spending...well duh! That's the whole idea! I wish President Obama lots of luck getting thru to knuckleheads like that!

February 8, 2009 at 11:52 pm |
  25. Peter

Take care of the housing crisis stupid. Force the banks to move there foreclosed properties in 45 days. Cut the fed. payroll tax by 20%. Cut capital gains tax by 30% for 5 years and you will not need to print $900 Billion dollars. Oh and by the way lets recall every congressman and senator and replace them with people that can actually make a decsion other than whats for dinner. NOW THAT'S STIMULUS!!!

February 8, 2009 at 11:27 pm |
  26. Ozzie Boyle

This may be too simple but why not?

Use the buyout money to subsidize the interest rate so that borrowers with good credit and proper debt ratio could get a 30 year fixed mortgage for 2.5% or 3%. This rate would be available to new buyers and refinancing. Borrowers with bad credit or too much debt would have to live with the consequences.

Thanks for your consideration,

Ozzie Boyle

February 8, 2009 at 11:10 pm |
  27. Robert - Jakarta

Tom,

Obama was elected by Americans. You do know what Americans are, don't you? Stop treating us like we are divided. The majority of us decided the Republicans were wrong and have screwed things up. How will "bipartisanship" change things? Really, we don't care what Republicans think anymore.

The Republican minority can go back to watching NASCAR and swilling beer.

February 8, 2009 at 11:06 pm |
  28. Fe Contreras

I want Pres. Obama to succeed in his administration. He has good thoughts ad plans for AMERICA .

However when we talk about the stimulus package. Why can't they give all tax paying Americans $50,000 dollars so we can pay our debts and then we can start buying to boost out economy? Why are bailing out this banks that most CEO's are the one's making money , living high while we down on the bottom that are working hard to put them there on the top are struggling? I used to work for BofA until they send our job to India. I believed that one of the contributor to the downfull of our economy is outsourcing jobs, so people gets laid off, Greed is the root cause..it is never enough money in the pockets !!!!!
    I have been in this country for almost 30 years , an average working person and I could not even afford to buy a new car, however I see we helped so many refugees with schooling, subsidizing apts. finding them jobs....but how about us that never owed nothing to the govt.? we pay taxes ? I think this time the people deserve to be treated fairly. NO bailout on those big shot, they have their good times . So give us tax paying americans the money and we will boost the economy.....

Thank you.

February 8, 2009 at 10:59 pm |
  29. David

What has the common man benefited from the first $350 BILLION. Gonna reach across party lines and not follow the same failed economic policies... You have the helm Obama. Be the leader your constituents elected, BANKS, WALL STREET, GOP, DNC will hate you but the people will love you....

February 8, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  30. lala

Hi President Obama this is lala i am writing you this email because i know you or trying to help the middle class. And i know you will get the job done. I am tried of this hole situation. And i am sick of hearing it on the news. I am in the middle class and i am proud of it . Mr President this what it is all about with us
    1. tax cuts No high taxes on bills or food ect
    2.lower entergy bills And when you or later they give you more time
    3 water Bill to high no later fees
    4 no Sewage Bills 5 No more low wages for the middle class
    6School teachers Fix school more funds for extra class over crowd schools in some ereasBetter paying jobs with benefits and insurance dental insurance
    7Give the middle class every month a at home raise that means working families that have homes and some times be behind on there bills
    8 low cost cars 9. Ceo;s get the same pay as the works.
    10. low cost for the children that want to go to college
    Cable bill to high Lower that bill also
    11 gas to high 12 clothing stores to high
    All and all we need your help

God Bless you Mr president Obama And come visit us in Baton Rouge We would love to have you here.And your family. .

February 8, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  31. mary

Maybe president Obama should should hire some auditor to see were the first part of the bailout package went, &also audit these multi millionaires.I can almost bet alot of our economy problems have been developing from these people for some time.This might give the middle class a break from paying there debt,& a chance for our economy to get back on track.

February 8, 2009 at 9:50 pm |
  32. Max

O.K. Tom – that is how you REST on Sunday ... thinking of BIPARTISANSHIP????

February 8, 2009 at 9:00 pm |
  33. Stpehanie

What do they think this stimulus package is going to do for the average american? I know what it is going to do NOTHING!!!!! If they would give that money to the American poeple that would boost the economy, but i'm not talking about 300.00 or 600.00 dollars they need to give us tens of thousands each. What can i do with 300.00? Fill my gas tank up once and buy food for one week thats about it. I say let those people that made this mess pay for it. From where i stand Obama is no different then the others give him time and he will show his true colors!!!

February 8, 2009 at 8:38 pm |
  34. pj

I for one will not put money in a bank account until they start sharing the profits by paying interest.
    Back in the Savings and Loan crisis, they filled their pockets at the top.
    Now as you see, they're once again or actually continuing to fill their pockets at the top.
    No one should put money into an organization like that, capitalism or no capitalism.
    Capitalism does not mean "take from the poor and give to the rich."

February 8, 2009 at 8:33 pm |
  35. Kenneth Whalen

Why now are the republicans a expert on the economy ? After 8 years of them being in control of the economy, now there trying to say the shape of the country is not there fault. Pleas tell me why they don't get it . Or are the only for the few rich in the world. This is a clear war on the midal to poor class of are country.

February 8, 2009 at 8:21 pm |
  36. Diane

All labels need to be removed from Washington politicians. (Pent-up anger needs an outlet. Fear of becoming irrelevant need to be addressed.) But ....right now, we don't have time for emotion-laden
    discussions. Right now, ....all politicians in Washington need to represent all citizens of this country. Right now, ...all politicians need to work round the clock to get the best Stimulus Bill possible. Right now,... America deserves a good Stimulus Bill in the hands of intelligent, non-partisan committee members. (Leave the labels outside the door.) America doesn't have time for Washington politics any longer!
    Thank you CNN for your great coverage.

February 8, 2009 at 7:53 pm |
  37. jarrod

my point is "even on the weekends" is we are still suffering and the facts are this are children and grandchildren are going to pay for this stimulas package but aren't are retirment years going to be affected no one PERSON has commented on this so i think before there are any decisions on a stimulas package we in this time today 2/809 we rethink allowing either side of this government passing anything i would rather go to war on our own ground than have to fight later for FOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!......................what do think

February 8, 2009 at 7:11 pm |
  38. Mark The Carpenter

Great points well stated.
    I voted 3rd Party, as I usually do, not because I disliked the other candidates, but because I believe in a 3 Party system and I like Ron Paul.
    Although I knew he had Zero chance of winning,( just like cheering for the Detroit Lions to win the Super Bowl), I wanted my opinion to be heard.
    Maybe someday a 3rd Party will win enough votes to earn a "mediator" position in the US Government.? If so, I think we should let them show up to work on Capital Hill wearing Carharts and flannel shirts.

February 8, 2009 at 6:51 pm |
  39. Don, WA

One must look to the left, and the right, before crossing the street – and I imagine president Obama looked both ways before crossing pennsylvania avenue.

February 8, 2009 at 6:40 pm |
  40. Damien

I'm 46 and almost everyone I know that is my age or younger doesn't think of themselves as a Dem or a Rep. We just think of ourselves as people. I think that both parties better watch out because they may just be arguing themselves right into the history books.

February 8, 2009 at 5:18 pm |
  41. Stacy H

I was laid off in June 2008 and have not been able to find a job. I am doing all I can and my boyfriend has been carrying us since then. We, voted, paid our taxes and since I have not been working I have seen alot of news about the stimulous packages and monies put out before and after the first stimulous package. I pulled out my calculator today and even though it does not have room for 9 or 12 zero’s it is really easy to calculate the numbers for me and every other average American, this is what I find very disturbing:
    12.7 B to banks and wallstreet
    700 B stimulous
    13.4 B to GM and Chrysler
    Total 726.10 B
    Total US population 305 Million as of 2009 per estimates
    Comes to 2.38 million per person
    Add 800 B
    Comes to 5 million per person
    This is a very devastating reality to me and I am sure it is to any average American that has used their or not needed to use their calculator.
    I would wish that you and others at CNN would make this a point in a broadcast. Then maybe we would get some real explanations that make since to myself and millions of other average Americans.
    Stacy H

February 8, 2009 at 4:33 pm |
  42. Larry L.

I think both sides are trying to do the right thing from there own perspectives,unfortunately there are two distinct perspectives,I think the answer lies in the Constitution ,if we would just get back to basics,quit trying to alter or change it,and use common since we will work threw this mess--yeah,like that's going to happen,ego's and power are all these politicians are about.

Government is not the solution,it is the problem !

February 8, 2009 at 3:05 pm |
  43. concern/denver Colorado

The only bill that seems like needs to be past is the one that gives tax cuts to the small business that makes under 250k ..that is the only thing that congress seems to agree to ...

February 8, 2009 at 2:35 pm |
  44. Brian

Given that the Feds back mortgage loans why not let the Feds assume the home loans from all of the banks and drop the interest rate down to 4.5% across the board. This would not only take away the bank bad debt but save home owners anywhere from 500 to 2000.00 per month depending on their interest rate. I am sure that this money would end up in the economy, especially the retail and auto industry. In effect, no loan money to the banks and lenders who have added to the negative impact on the economy. This would have a positive effect both at home and abroad.

February 8, 2009 at 12:39 pm |
  45. Betty

The stimulus package will not work. Giving money to big business will never, and has never, filtered down to the worker, they look after themselves first. If a stimulus package is to work you must give incentive to those that employ millions of people – small businesses. This package does nothing for them.
    Offer employment incentive to small businesses, eg. hire a full time employee for two years at $20,000 annually, business can claim $40,000 for that or double the salary of NEW employees on their tax return. Government could even pick up the employees expenses for two years.
    This results in no immediate cash outlay of the government but will create the millions of jobs the government wants to create.
    A perfect example is New Orleans. Big business is not rebuilding the community, small business is. Time to cater to big business is over.

February 8, 2009 at 12:37 pm |
  46. Lee

I am waiting for the stimulus package to see if I can get a break on buying a new car. It will help me and I will help the economy. The republicans are acting like spoiled brats. They got us into this mess and now they are acting foolishly by not approving Obama's plan. If Bush did not spend like a drunken sailor, we would not need any of this. Where was the concern 7 or 8 years ago?

February 8, 2009 at 12:37 pm |
  47. Jerell Johnson

I think the big businesses in America needs to stand up and believe in the system. If they stop thinking about making a profit and start believeing in the people in America and the system we will stio loosing job and comsumers will start spending.
    The Goverment has to spend Trillions of dollars because companies do no believe in the system. They think laying off workers and raising the prices on there products will help the situation. This is how we go caught in the housing situation. The builders and banks wanted to make money and any expense. Compaines want to continue to make money with less people working. Its all about making a dollar.

February 8, 2009 at 12:13 pm |
  48. Q.

Come on, Americans are going hungry; but the GOP does not care because it does not affect them and there families. The GOP will help bail out Wall Street; but not middle class Americans. The GOP will let middle class Americans go hungry before they lifted a finger to help them. That is way American voted for a change

February 8, 2009 at 12:01 pm |
  49. Bakul

will or can some one say where the money has flown out of the system?

February 8, 2009 at 10:15 am |