February 6th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 2/6/09

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

It's floor crew Friday. It's when we let them take over during the commericals. Don't miss them on the webcast. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. ericacnn

are you interested in the mom of 14, or have you had enough? just curious...

2. Miriam C

As long as a woman is able to do her work at home, be a good wife, and a good mom I dont see why she cannot compete with men?

3. Connie

For goodness sakes!! Why bother President Obama about his smoking!
    With the mess this country is in and the weight on his shoulders.. looks like you could ask more important questions! He is probably struggling to quit and if you keep on ... he'll should just put himself an ashtray in the oval office and smoke all he wants.! Get off it!!

4. Karin

I wish the mother of 14 children all the luck in the world. I am sure she loves children but needs a dose of reality. Even if she eventually earns her Master Degree, her salary will not support that many children. I understand it was her decision and with all decisions we personally make, we also have to take responsibility for their outcome. I hope she can make it on her own as unlikely as it seems.

5. lessie white

I think the Obama admin. has done well with getting the votes for the stimilus package considering the opposition party. kudos President Obama.

6. jim

i would like to see a ton of money go towards building factories top build – or build better – the products we import, clothes, appliances, electronics and cars. (short list) buy american can not be part of the bill as it would conflict with trade agreements but americans can buy what they want – we need – to want to buy american.

7. Lisa

Unless I misunderstood there is no mention of aid to the energy crisis that we are having???? We really need to do something about our dependence on energy.

8. jane

Why do Republicans have so much disregard for education. I personally do not think we have needed an educated population more. America has really dumbed itself down.

9. Michelle

I am not surprised that women will eventually surpass men
    in the work force. Women have to work outside the home
    in this day and times. Besides women now are 52 % of
    the population.

10. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

C'mon... You guys really should leave Obama alone about the smoking issue. While I've never smoked, from what I understand it is incredibly difficult to quit and causes much embarrassment to many smokers. He doesn't want to smoke, and we shouldn't make his life any more difficult while he's trying to quit.

11. CharlesJ

I read to day, the national census states there are actually 11.4 million unemployed projected to reach almost 15 million by june.

12. maggie g

The President will accomplish his goal of bi-partisanship even if he only gets 61 votes for the Stimulus package. No one can expect this bipartisan change to take place overnight but President Obama has done an excellent job in extending his hand in trying to get the support from the Republicans. He will get more Republicans on board as he continues to do what he is currently doing. Respecting people and being upfront with them. Now there are some who will never work with him (Ex. Mitch McConnell and others) who is closed minded to anything that the President has to say. However, I believe that there are some Republicans who are interested in working as a team to make it better for the people

13. Rey

Republicans are just finding ways to block the stimulus bill. They can not admit the fact that they lost this past election. So they stir things up to look that they are united per se.

14. Isabel Abreu, Brazil

The work of women depends not only the demand of the market and their skills to help her, but also derives from a complex articulation of personal and family characteristics, UNFORTUNATELY.

February 6, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  15. Karen

As to our blogger who asked if Sen. Kennedy made it back, they included him in the roll call for the last amendment vote.

The concern that education spending would be considered "pork" was addressed by the Rep. Sen from Maine who is voting with the Dems. She said, some items were being removed from the bill that can be deferred to the regular appropriations bill. The strategy is to just get the price tag down low enough so they can get the 60 votes they need right now.
    It's a tactical move so they can pass the bill and forward. It is not an indicator of long-term strategy. Do you think this is a smart move, David?

February 6, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  16. Carla

Why are we pushing this bill so quick without measures to ensure the money is being spent fairly and wisely! What money will North Dakota get with record snowfalls we receive and the potential flooding that lies in front of us????????I am an American who served their country honorably and chose to live in North Dakota, so don't forget the little people who grow all of your food!

February 6, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  17. MariaJR

I made over 180K last year, have become more conservative in my political views, but am completely willing to let PRESIDENT Obama try his stimulus package. I can afford to send my child to college, am pretty secure in my profession/work status, but really worry about the declining state of our economy for the middle class and young Americans who are not being appropriately educated and later employed. I'm not surprised by Congress but as usual am very disappointed! The President still has my support.

February 6, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  18. Renee

Maybe if we had more women in the House and the Senate we could get more things done.

February 6, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  19. Isabel Abreu, Brazil

The moment of union is and the whole world thinks so, but the Republicans do not.

The United States (and other countries that suffer in scale) require an aggressive response of government against the economic decline. Obama is right. This is the most dangerous crisis since the Great Depression, and could easily turn into a prolonged decline.

February 6, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  20. Brett Perry

Why is it that everyone's so upset with Bale? Hasn't everyone had a bad day? If I was him I would only feel that I had to apologize to the people or person at which the rant was aimed. Nuff said.
    And get off Michael Phelps back already America. Here's a guy who proves smoking a little pot for recreation doesn't mean your some low life bum. Ohh do you think he'll be smoking crack and injecting heroin next? When will people realize that pot should be legal and cigarettes should be outlawed. It's obvious to any intelligent person which is worse on your body.
    Brett

February 6, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  21. Vanessa, TX

Good one Erica...Bobyonce?!! I LOVED THE FLOOR CREW DANCERS...I think you all should start a blog! and a fan club!!

February 6, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  22. Joanne - PA

I definitely agree with Bridget of TX. Pres. Obama is working so hard and cares so much. It is depressing seeing him getting beaten up
    when he's trying to be bipartisan.

Good weekend to all 360 staff.

February 6, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  23. Dave - Pekin

i'd rather see someone buying a house get a credit over someone that over bought a house and ended up in bankruptcy. At least the people who buy houses will also be spending money to buy things for it. Those things bought will help businesses and so on......

February 6, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  24. EJ (USA)

Well, that's nice that Bale apologized. He did sound like a jerk.

February 6, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  25. Brandi - bottom of the boot

anderson,

more men are losing their jobs than women because they get paid more. the companies save more money getting rid of the men. 🙂

February 6, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  26. Tom of Philly

stacy the difference is this: if its national debt to promote the agenda of their constituency the top few %, then its ok to trash the future with debt, but the idea of doing something for the entire nation is against their nature, its sad really, and they are placing a bet things WILL get worse and want to flip the house to put the president in check mate for 2 years, its sad really, but they are willing to put the future of the nation in jeapordy to regain power

February 6, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  27. Maureen T

Anderson
    happy to hear Christian Bale admitting he was wrong to flip out the other day. It takes a great man to admit he was at fault! Christian is such a brilliant actor though!

February 6, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  28. JR Miami, FL

Miranda has a great idea. Flush them out and start another wall of shame on 360!

February 6, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  29. Chris@stl

Kathy .... my sympathies.

These republican senators are all multi-millionaires living in their own la-la land. They have absolutely no clue what is happening out their.

February 6, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  30. sharon

C'mon. Lay off the guy about his smoking. If it must be mentioned, at least give him some credit for trying to quit. It's far from easy.

But with all the incredible problems going on in the world and this country, President Obama's personal peccadilloes should be the least of your worries. It's certainly mine.

February 6, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  31. Isabel Abreu, Brazil

The solution momentary is a professional requalification. Those who lose their jobs must go through training and retraining. Only then can find another activity and take a new wave in modern competitive labor market. The unemployed can’t be expecting new opportunity to occupy the same place he occupied before the resignation, because that same wave, or better, that function may cease to exist. Whoever wants to return to the labor market should recycle, seeking a place in another area or branch of activity, it is essential, it must be prepared.

February 6, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  32. David, Indiana

Megan I hope they get together over weekend and come up with stimulus bill they can agree and pass in the senate too. "Finger crossed" I know it's kind of suspenseful. Also I agree the job losses that Ali reported are terrible, puts a lot of pressure on congress.

February 6, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  33. Ron

We're hearing all the talk about how the banks who got TARP money are or are not spending it. But, I've heard nobody aay anything about how all these banks are raising everybody's interest rates on their credit cards. What were "fixed" rates are being raised for reasons totally unrelated to the relationship the client has with the bank in question. And purchase rates are doubling on accounts in good standing for people with excellent credit scores. That will NOT encourage spending, which as we are told, what is necessary to stimulate the economy.

February 6, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  34. brian

16 kids? guess who paid and will continue to pay for it.?Us .She has medical and medicare and will be on welfare forever.I'm a nurse.The end bill is in the millions.

February 6, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  35. Jaelle

I love, love, love this show. I think the panel is always awesome, and the questions they get are pretty good too:) I also really loved the Planet in Peril series. It was good to hear a bit of news from around the world tonight, Australia, Antarctica, etc. It would be great to see some more in-depth international stories now and then because I know that would put AC's knowledge and experience as a foreign correspondent to good use too.

For example: How do average Iranians really feel about Americans? How's the war going in Iraq? How's the war going in Afghanistan? What's happening with Darfur? I'm not suggesting that Anderson go to these places, just that I'm sure someone's telling them, and I'd love to hear AC and the panel's perspective on some of these issues.

Just a though. Keep up the good work!

February 6, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  36. Andre R. Newcomb

How's she going to pay for all those babies? Same way you people are with your stimulus packages . . . that's '3' in less than a year! And still, the work needs to be done so that all you mouthpieces can sing, "America", as though all this new paper means something. But now you have some little girl to focus on as though one girl making too many babies is the problem while it is y'all printing up money as though it's just that easy to fix things. Life is so nice having something pretty to listen to telling me what a screw-up we are and how 'my pretty' has all the answers I need.

Andy of Sierra Vista, Arizona

February 6, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  37. Carla

I am so proud of ND Senators Dorgan and Conrad not siding with Democrats to pass the Stimulus Bill. In fact, I have a letter from Dorgan that he doesn't agree that we should push money that won't be monitored!

February 6, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  38. Isabel Abreu, Brazil

In Brazil, my husband is giving training in DOT.NET to who only know Cool: Gen, a programming language so specific.
    This is a good solution: help colleagues, before they lose their jobs.
    Today is you that help, tomorrow you can be helped.

February 6, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  39. Barbara in Boston

Of course more men are losing jobs than women. Women are paid less than men. Companies can get the same productivity for less expense by keeping their female employess and laying off the men. That's a no-brainer.

February 6, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  40. Donna - TX

Ha! Anderson I love it,

President Obama said he hadn't had a cigarette on "the White House" grounds. So whose grounds has he had one on? : )

February 6, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  41. David Gergen

Hello everyone - Thanks for your many comments tonight - Members of the House and Senate should all sit down and read them this weekend, especially your strong support for education. My bet is that after some hard, tough, contentious negotiations next week, Congress will pass and the President will sign a major stimulus plan. It may not be enough to jolt the economy, and some of it will be wasteful, but my sense is that it will definitely help.

p.s. a couple of you asked about Senator Kennedy. Senator Reid was first seeking to have him come to the Senate tonight but with the final vote postponed, Reid will now see if Teddy can come on Sunday. The vote could be that close!

February 6, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  42. EJ (USA)

Anderson & other news folks can report on AIG and other such companies until they are blue in the face (and reporters' should). But I believe these people simply do not care.

They have probably been on many more trips than we know about & doled out millions more in secret bonuses.

February 6, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  43. jane

Please do not give anymore publicity to the woman who has now brought 14 children into the world. I think there is currently a trend in America for women to produce mucho babies. Maybe we have Angelina Jolie to thank for this. Children are a life time investment and deserve the best of care and nurturing. Angelina probably has no problem finding nannies and other support in raising her children. She does this world a disfavor to present parenting as an assembly line activity. I think this young mother has swallowed this Angelina hype hook, line and sinker. Please check out the results of children raised by mama baby factories. We have a population problem...a world exploding population problem.

February 6, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  44. niwat, Chicago, IL

I have a propensity to think one of the octuplets might develope a serious case of crustophobia later on in his/her life.

February 6, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  45. Jasmine- Spokane

Oh Christian Bale, you have given me so many videos for my iPod. .....

OMG! Men are losing jobs more than women!

Stop talking about that chick with the kids! There are too many people in the world, and we don't need anymore....(-_-)

February 6, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  46. Tom

Just to put things in perspective, 3.6 million lost there jobs. If you took the $780 Billion and divided it evenly among the people who lost there jobs they would roughly get $215K . So say we only gave them $50K in the form of a interest free loan, with a 15 year time table to pay it back. The rest of the 150 million or so of us that are still working would STILL get $4000 each, better than the last stimulus check we got.

February 6, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  47. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Oh boy!!!! oh no Christian Bales!!!! too much bleeping!!!! not good day for me to hear that!!! LOL

February 6, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  48. Pete from Boston

Sorry to see education take the big hit, somewhat short sighted, when there are other things that are much less "important".

Peter
    NCLB Provider

February 6, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  49. Bob Shiller

Hey David. Seems like the bill is pretty tame to me. I'm a moderate generally but it seems like there is not much new thinking there especially in terms of energy independence. But what do I know, I'm only a taxpayer. (Or a former one actually.....you have to have income to pay income tax).

February 6, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  50. Isabel Abreu, Brazil

Christian Bale is more to Batman or Terminator?
    Christian Bale, that dirty mouth, huh!

February 6, 2009 at 10:40 pm |