February 6th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 2/6/09

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

It's floor crew Friday. It's when we let them take over during the commericals. Don't miss them on the webcast. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Nathan M.

Education always seems like the last thing on every Republican's mind. It has taken a hit for the past 8 years now, it is time for a turn around. This idea that teachers have what they need to teach is outragous.... When is the last time that they have been to a school, talked to a teacher, or had a child in public schools. I don't know the answer to any of these questions, but by the looks of things it has been a while.

February 6, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  2. Lauren--NY

Thank you, Stacy; that was exactly my point.

Susan, you raise a great point–"pork" has become an umbrella term and gets more vague by the day.

I'm a huge Obama supporter, and I'm annoyed by all the whining about his title. He is not being referred to by his last name any more than Bush and Clinton were–we don't stand on ceremony in this country. It's polite to address him by his title, but it certainly is not necessary. He's a public servant, not a monarch.

February 6, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  3. Maureen T

Anderson,
    I'm happy the Obamas have a date night. Everyone is so busy these days so for the Obamas to make time for a date is wonderful. My husband and I haven't had a date night forever! We should find the time though!

February 6, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  4. Stacy

So Christian Bale apologizes. Shall we take bets on when he enters anger management or rehab?

February 6, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  5. vanessa from silver spring, MD

I didn't know that Christian had an accent. ? The remix of him and the little boy who was on drugs from the dentist is hilarious.

February 6, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  6. susan louise from Viroqua,Wi

Thank you David for the question....though I appreciate the process, very long process, that has been going on, I am disappointed in the lack of working together by more people....I feel the republicans have revealed tonight they are furious about loosing control, very stubborn and dedicated to blocking rather than creating....and ..... this is not an education bill....I feel the best way to get me to spend is give me money directly...How simple....I believe many of the fortunate and well off truly do not get we are facing a great change in the working class becoming destitute. Working hard was supposed to have given us a greater return, but it has been sucked up by greed and indulgence, which has been going on in every culture, forever....

February 6, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  7. Paolo

First the bonuses then thousands of dollars to spend at the strip? What are these wall street firms thinking when everyone else are losing their jobs and seeing their homes foreclosed?

February 6, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  8. Karin

Any stimulis plan being passed now could be called an experiment, which later will need to be altered as the situation warrants. Even the "socalled" experts are divided what the appropriate resolution to the economic disaster is. The public needs to be patient. Tax cuts alone won't do as the Republicans are trying to promote. There are many people who still waiting for Regean's trickle down solution to work for them. It's time to try something new and work it out as time proceed.

February 6, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  9. Bridget, TX

Anderson thank you for showing us the Obama's going out and just have a good time. I hope Michelle helps him to relax and put the countries worries behind him for a couple of hours at least/ Love it.:)

February 6, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  10. Esma

Oh, Christian Bale, don't apologize...I haven't laughed that hard in such a long time. We're not done professionally.

February 6, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  11. EM-Fort Wayne, IN

i don't think the Bale/Phelps apologies are geniune...it's all about 'keeping face' in the media

February 6, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  12. donna

The stimulus bills of 08/09 spend as much as all of the individual income taxes collected in 2006.

Forget the Senate bill.
    I prefer putting a one year stop on income tax and let us buy cars, houses, heathcare, education with our money. Create small business and jobs.
    Better plan.

February 6, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  13. Isabel Abreu, Brazil

Crisian Bale is more to Batman or Terminator?

February 6, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  14. Shillie, Sioux Falls, SD

I'd love to go to Vegas on the taxpayers dollar too, unbelievable. It wouldn't kill them to stay in something other then a 5-star hotel, why do they not understand this?

As far as the stimulus package goes, I do not doubt that President Obama will bring education back up at a later date. Education played such a huge role in his life, I can't see him allowing the senate to cut so much of the dollars towards this unless he plans on bringing it back somewhere else down the road.

February 6, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  15. julie

I am happy it is through, but concerned about education taking such a hit. It is, in fact, one of the last areas that should be affected.

February 6, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  16. Miranda

Anderson-

I'm not buying it are you?

I like Mr. Cumming who said we get furious.

While people are living under bridges for the inability to pay on their home, bankers are looking forward to premium digs a The Venetian?!

Las Vegas represent and picket!

The would be 5 million to your economy- is it worth the price of your fellow citizens, and perhaps you, being evicted with no home?

Not to mention that money would not go to you but in the end back to the bankers.

Miranda

February 6, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  17. JIM

Compromise is not always a good thing. To be honest even as a moderate conservative i am shocked that the bipartisan thing has been pushed so hard. Are they aware they have clear maj in the house and senate. Seriously, the folks voted to give you a shot. Not a convoluted try to please all shot. I personally dont agree with the bill but the Dems have every right to put out the bill as they want it. I dont believe they couldnt get 60 votes with the political capital they have. Unless they wanted someone to share the blame.

February 6, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  18. Jen

It's disrespectful for Amy to keep calling the president simply "Obama".

Also, the republican party have become so extremely far right and so used to getting their own way by any means no matter how foul that this is no time for democrats to be making many concessions. Democrats should be friendly and offer cooperation, sure, but eight years of the Bush administration has left the country, the environment and the middle and working classes in terrible jeopardy. Policy must REALLY change, and republicans will not want to help accomplish that even if their policies and philosophies have damaged America and it's people. Until they are ready to acknowledge things like giving even more tax cuts to the rich will not help and their stop offering ridiculous things like their alternative all tax cuts package they are hopeless.

February 6, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  19. Loraine --Atl, GA

To keep it short, its time for President Obama to stop trying to have a bi-partisan bill. Bi-means two sides. He is trying but the Repubs are not. So where is the bi-partisanship? We the American people are behind him 100%. We will vote against those who play with our future. After 23 years I was laid off my job. But I cannot receive unemployment benefits because I received a severance package. I along with 8 other people do not show up in the unemployment stats.

February 6, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  20. Jason

Wow! I cannot believe the Senate. As a member of the United States Coast Guard, I don't understand how 122 million for protecting our boarders from illegal immigrants and drug smugglers is considered "fat". I guess that the Senate did not do their research for this bill to see that some of our cutters are more than 50 years old.

February 6, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  21. Billy

Left, Right, Conservative, Liberal, Democrat, Republican? ..... Whatever hapened to American? The stimulus numbers being thrown around are so mind boggling to the average American, the views so diametrically opposite, the confusion overwhelming. Hope and change? Feels much more like fear!

February 6, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  22. Terry Davidson

I'm a retired Navy Chief and consider myself an independent, but watching Fox, CNN and CNBC the last couple of days, you feel like you are in two different countries. I whole heartly beleive we need a stimulus package but how many jobs is a $500,000 dog park in Chula Vista going to create and for how long.? I just use that as an example of all the pork that is in this bill from both parties. People need to remember that this is not the annual budget. It should only inlude items that will help people now.. Both parties got us in this mess. Love your show AC.

February 6, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  23. Camille NJ

Please let the President do his job

February 6, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  24. Melinda

Wow, Bank of America, who knew??? I am certain that if any of you have had experience with them, you would agree that they will eventually take over. Weird and unfair practices.....

February 6, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  25. Jasmine- Spokane

What's pathetic to say is that you can make a great interpretation of Hamlet out of this stimulus package mess......

February 6, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  26. Nancy

Why isn't building or modernizing schools considered part of the infastructure investment that we need for our future. This was considered a priority in the campaign, so why do the Repubs think it is so easily dispensible.

February 6, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  27. Bridget, TX

It is unfortunate that we have very little new blood in the congress and senate, so although the president and the american people want change, it can't happen with all these old geezers, stuck in their ways, clueless about their constituents and don't care about most Americans.

28. Mike, Syracuse NY

@Stacey, don't forget that only Congress can spend money. The 2 biggest deficit years under Bush were the last two, when Dems controlled Congress. True financial conservatives have been complaining about the debt all along.

29. Melissa

Why can't some of these big executives from the banks stay at some low cost, one or two star hotel instead of these expensive places on our dimes? If they want to stay at these five star hotels they should pay for it out of their own pockets.

30. lynn

I feel for those 14 children. If this mother crashes and burns they will all be split up into foster homes!! That is the biggest tragedy to me. Maybe the doctor who planted the eggs should be al least partially responsible for provif=ding economical support.

31. Karen C

I'd be perfectly happy with no tax cuts. What is 500 over the year going to really mean? And this notion of the tax credit for buying a house. OK, so people who can refinance this might help and people who HAVE money might be able to pick up a cheap house, but who else is going to be buying houses? Where is the money from?

Yet, there are those people out there that think nothing should be done. I can't see that working, but they are up in arms about the debt being incurrred. To be honest, I'm getting more and more confused.

32. jarrod

i can't beleive this all business no play trip can't be done at a Holiday INN

33. Maureen T

Now what is the real reason these bankers are going to Vegas?! What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas...

34. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Finally!!!! Christian Bales tell the fans saying apology, he made a mistake bad things to say.... Now I accept his apology......

35. Irwin-Florida

What would be so terrible if the banks failed. The deposits are insured. Wouldn't it be better to end Reaganomics once and for all. Instead of big huge banks we could have smaller, more flexible and comptetive regional banks.

36. Nattada, Houston TX

What happen is vegas, not only stay in vegas isn't it.

Well, it is so sad that banks' people still do not get it.

37. Donna - TX

Yes, I agree also, we need to set term limits for the Senate and House. There needs to be some new blood mixed in with the old so maybe we can get some fresh ideas.

Although, by the looks of some of the people in office now, it will be very hard to get any qualified politicians that have a functioning brain cell beyond power tripping.

38. Rose from NY

In my opinion, this stimulus package does little to create jobs in the private sector. There is plenty of money to extend benefits to the unemployed, which is all well and good, but how does this bill help them get back to work? This package does more to benefit the government than its citizens. I, for one, will not sleep better tonight.

39. Brenda

We need help! Hello republicans wake up and here what the American people want. Stop whining and work with the President and
    get this economy moving. We tried it your way for 8 years and look where we are now. Let's try something else. It can't be worse than it is now

February 6, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  40. gayle mccauley Malden,Mass.

Greetings to all! Las Vagas?? I need a bailout,35 weeks unemployed and now I hear the slush fund for education was tossed.I was hoping for some job retraining with some of that money...Who'll bail me out and send me to Vegas???

February 6, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  41. vanessa from silver spring, MD

I love that the Obamas are still doing a date night.

February 6, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  42. Isabel Abreu, Brazil

As a woman, without a clear source of income, can do this?
    How she can give a child (ups… 14 children) need?

Missing rules for artificial insemination. More stringent measures for physicians should be imposed.

February 6, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  43. Joyce

I know that Amy Holmes is a republican and as such, is very crude - typical Repug. Barack Obama is the President of the United States. He won 53% of the vote. He is not an acquaintance nor a friend of Amy Holmes. She is not even affiliated with President Obama's party. She should, therefore, afford the President some respect by addressing him appropriately. During her appearance tonight on Anderson Cooper 360, she kept referring to the President as Obama. Where is her sense of decency and respect for the President? I never heard her refer to George Bush as 'Bush' and if any deserved to be disrespected, it was George Bush.

February 6, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  44. Andrew, MD

If everyone is so upset with the corporations who are taking trips to Vegas, why aren't the same congressional members angry with themselves for spending about $100K on their "retreats" this week and last?

February 6, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  45. Renee

What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas? One place I never care to ever visit.

February 6, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  46. Billie - Texas

Love your informative and live show. Watch you every evening. I am all for the stimulus bill. I am all for alternative energy and that must be one of the items on the bill. Also the banking industry must have money immediately but must also have an account of every penny spent. I think all of these are needed really fast!!!!!!!!

February 6, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  47. Paul

In general the problem with large BILLS both house and senate, is that they are too simply written in language which does not really control to outcome of the bill. Look at the poor control of the TARP money. This bailout legislation should be written in small focused pieces not mashed into one large misunderstood bill.
    History repeats itself when we have ignorant people writing the rules that they do not understand. If these representatives would read about what occured during the depression they would be aware that they are doing things which did little to correct the depression problems. They are repeating bad history.
    Just because these representatives were rich and could afford to run for a federal office doesn't make them the most knowageble authority to construct legislation. Just look at TARP.

February 6, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  48. Kathy

My husband and I are the lower middle class with a health profession job and my spouse an aircraft mechanic. We now have two of our children who are now jobless. Both have families. We have made our one son's house payment for the past 6 months to avoid foreclosure. Now another son lost his job. Does not our GOP leader's realize my story is repeated nationwide. Parents helping their adult children survive, keep food on the table for their grandkids. How is giving someone a stimulus when they buy a new car or house going to stimulate the economy when people don't have a job to buy the car or house.

February 6, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  49. Jasmine- Spokane

These banks think we can just keep printing money as fast as we can to save them. It's pathetic that there are excusses about keeping jobs, and seeking the intrests of the people. I could care less if a man who i've never heard of that makes billions of dollars of money a year loses his job. That's his problem, these companies just need to learn how to stick it to the man and say "sorry, but you're fired!"

February 6, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  50. Tina

It so sad on our part because we knew they were doing that all along. Those big companies will take what we will give them.

February 6, 2009 at 10:34 pm |