February 6th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 2/6/09

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

It's floor crew Friday. It's when we let them take over during the commericals. Don't miss them on the webcast. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Amanda

I'm sick of the darn republicans. All I know is that a bill better pass and get us out of this mess. Or some crap will hit the fan and when it does everyone will be to blame and we will all be screwed!!!! When I view the stimulus package I see what's essential to the country. Like the President said, change won't happen over night!! So lets pass the bill and get the ball rolling!

February 6, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  2. Tu-Kwon O. Thomas

I would like to thank both partisan groups for having an open-mind on this stimulus plan. I pray we as a people appreciate the seriousness and consequences this stimulus plan possess. Now it's our turn as citizens to impliment our personal responsibilities, disciplne, self awareness and our place in the road for a healthy economy.

February 6, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  3. Pete CA

I want to see much more productive infrastructure spending! Strict buy American provisions! and money dedicated to hiring and retaining teachers!

Key Infrastructure like CA high speed railway, energy grid revamp, new green energy power plants (nuclear or other), repairing our interstates, bridges, and dams. And do this with Buy American!

February 6, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  4. Esma

I really shouldn't be surprised by anything the bankers do anymore, but I guess the fact that I can not only still be surprised but also sickened is a good enough sign. Were these people dropped as babies? What is wrong with them?!

February 6, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  5. Don, WA

In vegas the house always wins, while the mortgage holder loses.

February 6, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  6. Derrick

C'mon folks. Vegas, like the rest of the country, can really use the money. Casinos are going bankrupt and workers are being laid off. The conference is very important to Vegas' economy. They need more money.

February 6, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  7. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA

Well, look. Rates are really low in Las Vegas hotels right now–even ones like the Venetian. And, on the bright side, they are helping keep union members working in many different types of businesses throughout Las Vegas. (That's the best excuse I can think of.)

February 6, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  8. Bridget, TX

Are there any white collar and jobs that women tend to hold in the package?

February 6, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  9. Dave - Pekin

Anderson did they keep the tax break for anyone that buys a house this year? I know they were talking about adding it in. Also is there anything in there about dropping the capital gains tax?

February 6, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  10. Dave in Lynnwood Washington

What happened to the support that the stimulus was going to give to the elderly and disabled? I don't see that in today's revision of the package?

February 6, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  11. Ashley - Hamlin, NY

Vanessa – Thanks. Glad someone else sees this plight.

This Vegas thing makes me sick. Granted, a few grand isn't anything to these people. I just love how you can give them that money and your average citizen the same and one will be productive with it. Why are we rewarding CEOs with cushy vacations when they are bad at their jobs? It's not so much about money as it is the principle.

February 6, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  12. Nancy Merbitz Pontiac, IL

Hi – hope I"m in time to get posted this time; missed the last two nights by trying to post too late. Who else besides me wonders why the heck money for public transportation isn't considered good for the economy? Living in a rural area, I know that if they could take the tracks originally built to transfer grain out of all these little farming towns could also be used for passenger trains, the economy in my county would definitely surge. Just think: people looking for work could match up with people ready to hire, even if they didn't live nearby, and not have to worry about the wildly fluctuating price of gasoline. To me this is just "duh", not rocket science. Do the Repubs think public transport is communist or something? What gives?

February 6, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  13. Don in WA

Just to prove I don't appear to favor the Republican efforts – I believe the $500 & $1000 'Stimulus Checks' are just as useless as the ones we rcvd in early 2008 – why? If I am unemployed or I am now a part time vice full time worker, I'm not gonna go out and spend that check!! I'm gonna use it to pay bills to make it through one more month or save it to survive a little bit longer! Wake up political "Leadership"...

February 6, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  14. Michelle D. Fonthill,Ont

I hope they great this sotred ou tthis weekend and the remaining votes gets passed there is enough suffering .
    Have a great weekend everyone! Megan.Lori Ann, Brandi
    Anderson please get some rest !!!

February 6, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  15. Mike O

A 'compromise'??? It's even bigger than the boondoggle from the House. And this is ONLY THE FIRST MONTH of the new administration.

The government is th most inefficient 'job creator' out there. That will be obvious over the next several months.

A prediction? How about 10% inflation by end of 2010, 20% by 2012. Where else will this phantom money come from?

February 6, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  16. Isabel Abreu, Brazil

'The stimulus package is not perfect', says President Obama.

Anderson,
    Although not perfect, you (personally) believe that the package will minimize the current problems?

February 6, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  17. Bridget, TX

I want the stimulus packet to have something that will allow us to see immediate effect, although I know it has to be very small.

February 6, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  18. andrew j

in comparing the loss of jobs per month, comparison should be viewed in %, so as to provide a more definitive picture of the severity of the bellwether months. how does the % of jobs lost, (against the total workforce) this jan, versus the % of other years 'worst' months?

February 6, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  19. Renee

@ Lorraine Miller: Thanks for paving the way for other woman. When you were born women didn't have the right to vote. What is the most remarkable moment in women's/American history for you?

February 6, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  20. Lori from IL

David Gergen - I'm glad the White House is going to be involved in "crafting" the final bill. We all know who is going to held responsible if the bill fails (which hopefully for the good of us all, it will succeed) – so why shouldn't President Obama have major involvement over what's included and what's cut - keeping in mind he needs the support of Congress to pass the bill.

Anderson - Apparently what's happens in Vegas doesn't stay in Vegas anymore. Thanks for "keeping 'em honost."

February 6, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  21. Vanessa, TX

RIGHT!! Business!! IN VEGAS?! They should come to El Paso for the conference..lol

February 6, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  22. Gregory Smith

Please tell Amy and others to refer to President Obama as "President Obama", and not just Obama. Such disrespect. I never heard anyone refer to President Bush as just "Bush"

February 6, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  23. Shirley

Amy Holmes need to address President Obama as that and not "Obama" she is been disrespectful to the President. I feel the next time Amy call him by his last name you or any of CNN's anchor personnel should call her out on that, the President have earned the title.

February 6, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  24. Eric from Omaha

I am so frustrrated that of all things education got cut mout of this bill. Fries me. NO repuplican voice speaks for me!!!!! I'm offended by that!

February 6, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  25. Paul B

Anderson I have a question why is it so hard for your republican guest to call President Obama by his proper title? Just now Amy kept calling him Obama. When are they going to show the president the proper respect. I would like you to ask them that question.

February 6, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  26. Cheryl

@Anderson...There are twenty-five voters in our home, from all over the country...and we are watching your show...and would appreciate it if you would let Amy Holmes know that she needs to address President Obama as President Obama...and not Obama or Barack....and we would appreciate her showing some respect to the leader of our country.

If you want us to continue watching CNN...you need to get your commentators in line.

February 6, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  27. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA

@Jo Ann...I love that Schoolhouse Rock "I'm a Bill!" It's very cool. I think I never really understood until I saw that (and that was just last month). 🙂

February 6, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  28. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Faye Dockter

First time blogger here:

Helloooo Faye!!!!
    Welcome to Live Blog tonight..... enjoy join blogging tonight 🙂

February 6, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  29. sharon

Anderson,
    Why does Amy Holmes keep refering to Pres. Obama as Obama. This is disrespectful!

February 6, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  30. Tom

If the major goal of the stimulus package is job creation, then building and updating schools would certainly fall in that scope. To say that this falls out of the scope of the federal government baffles me when $100's of billions have just been dumped into saving big business. You won't find personnell in school districts taking lavish trips on the taxpayer!
    You want 21st century...build 21st century schools. You want projects that can begin immediately...most distircts are ready to build several years in advance.This brings work to engineers, architects, and many small businesses that work as sub-contractors, not to mention all the sales for materials! This would impact every state in the union.

February 6, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  31. Tammy

Hello everyone:

Happy to see that they are taking their time. Understand the sense of urgency, but we didn't get here overnight and what concerns me most is that if this stimulus pkg is unsuccessful and the funds have all been spent even stretched out over a period of time, what will happen then?

February 6, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  32. David, Indiana

I tend to see it as Candy says. Things get complicated in the Senate, recall Sen. Collins comment about thorough, painstaking comprehensive look at the stimulus bill.

"Politics is the art of the possible" a very good pt by David Gergen. and good to note Harry Reid's role in leading the compromise.

Interesting to think of the Senate as a band with roving allegiances as Amy Holmes says but I think that goes to the complicated work of dealing w/ legis pt by pt.

I agree w/ Willie Brown ed spending employs people instructors, admin, staff, and lead to employment for students. I'm glad to hear Pell and Ed Grants are in the stimulus package.

February 6, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  33. gary

I think the democratic should go ahead and pass your their own stimulus bill,because all the republicans want is to kill the blil. So pass your bill and let the republicans fillibuster and kill the dreams of the american people.God help our country

February 6, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  34. Susan

I really dislike the use of the term pork, I don't find it really explains anything, it is used more often as a way to not explain.

February 6, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  35. Tina

It is not like anything we have ever had to deal with. It is new territory. I agree we have had problems in the past. This is nothing like what we have had to deal with in the past. People have their savings at stake. This is Billions of dollors , not two dollars and the 80's. You have to admit, it's pretty scary!

February 6, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  36. Bethany-MI

California isn't the only state facing major issues. Michigan's unemployment rate was still terrible before the other states began to follow during the crisis. I believe the unemployment rate here is near 10-11%. Way too high. With GM trouble, its just gotten worse.

February 6, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  37. Jasmine- Spokane

I wish the stimulus bill was defined more to the public. Not all of us go home and watch C-Span 1, 2, &3. There needs to be more public intervention or else how will we know what is best for us? We may not vote directly, but these elected officials represent the ideals of the people. Majority is a powerful tool, we can't have that stripped from us.

February 6, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  38. Stacy

@Fay: They certainly act like they don't. And the media seems to think it's only bipartisan if Obama reaches out. The House Republicans didn't give him one vote. Now THAT was partisanship.

February 6, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  39. Brett Perry

I agree, John McCain is either a fool or suffering from some mental ailment. He proposes his own bill (which was voted down) that was strictly tax cuts and no spending, and then in the same day says that Obama's tax cuts won't stimulate the economy! Which one is it John? I didn't vote for Obama, but I'm sure glad I didn't vote for McCain either.
    Brett

February 6, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  40. Chris@stl

A lrarge spending – a shock and awe treatment to economy and targeted spending should work in the present condition.

China just approved a 500 billion stimulus package few weeks ago .... Chines market is already up around 15% since the announcement. Their import of steel and coal increased dramatically in the past few days!

February 6, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  41. Linda

Anderson

I loved having Mayor Brown on your show you should have him more often(S.F. Resident), he is one of the smartess, more savey men I know and I can tell you one thing he know Politics and how to get things done. He was a great Mayor in S.F. and highly thought of.
    I hope you have him on often.

February 6, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  42. Michelle D. Fonthill,Ont

I' m Glad they are investigating the doctor who implante the embryos in the woman who had the octuplets that is crimanal . The money she has to pay for those kids 14 i think it's nuts .Whose going to pay for this ?

February 6, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  43. Dancy Spergel

reguarding the numbering of job losses: numbers are abstract and are hard to relate to emotionally and intelectually. better to couch the number of job losses more concretaly as it was done earlier this evening. one of your reporters compared the total number of job losses during this recession to the total number of jobs in the state of maine. boy ! that made me think.

February 6, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  44. Joe Terrogano

The Republican spin is that tax cuts will resuscitate the economy. I used the last one to pay bills, to a bank credit card. I'm sure many others did too. Nothing indicates that taxpayers will do anything different this time. Even if the funds are spent on goods, most are made in China. Check anything that you bought lately. We are already going to give China lots of money to pay off the loans. Forbes ranked the recent Presidents and prosperity in this country on 7/21/04. The top four, in order, were Clinton, Johnson, Kennedy, and Reagan. The myth of tax cuts being a panacea is just that, a myth.

How about recessions? 2001-2003 (G.W. Bush); 1990-1991(G.H.Bush); 1980-1982 (Carter/Reagan); 1973-1975 (Nixon/Ford). Any patterns here? These are facts, not spin. Look them up. Republicans have had many chances. you be the judge of their economic wisdom!

February 6, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  45. Sam, Ewa Beach, HI

Since education isn't getting as much money, I guess my college tuition won't be going down nxt school year. I hope the president can address education more directly if education isn't getting as much money.

February 6, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  46. Ed Nelson

A tax credit/rebate will not stimulate the economy. Give the $500 or $1000 to the taxpayers now and let it turn over several times which will create jobs, sales and taxable transactions which will stimulate the economy. Ed Nelson

February 6, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  47. CharlesJ

I would like to know who is supporting these 14 children. From what I hear all the anger is because she and the original 6 were on welfare and now there are 8 more?

February 6, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  48. Angela

Anderson- This so called stimulus is pretty much all pork!! it should have extended unemployment benefits, money for unemployed workers to have health insurance, and rebuilding our infastructure. I do think money for pell grants,etc shold be increased but that is not really a part of an emergency stimlus bill. There is still very little to rebuild roads and bridges. Both are in terrible shape. That would create jobs as well as provide something tangible that we actually need!! Eventually this bill will come due and how are we going to pay for it all!!! Oh and how about accountability this time...remember before, Pelosi, Bush, and Paulson, all said the TARP must be passed immediately and how there would be accountability. Ya Right!!!! Looks like this is a TARP II.

February 6, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  49. Christopher Smith Birmingham AL

Heads up!! We are headed into a depression if the congress dosnt stop fighting and pass that bill. Yo broke yor economic leg in 1929 -1932 in the great depression the first time the same thing is happening now. President Obama reminds me of FDR and the new deal!!! The republicans are only good fo rfilling their pockets, while the democrats allways wanted to improve things making america more efficient ann productive. If you dont know how you broke your economic leg the first time you are bound to do it again. Im 17 years old and even I can see through that.

February 6, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  50. Eric from Omaha

Hello all. I've heard many economists across the board say the amount we need is much higher to generate the outcomes everyone is seeking. I fear this won't be enought–due to rep's whining we have shrunk it–but Obama will be blamed!!!!

February 6, 2009 at 10:28 pm |