February 6th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 2/6/09

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

It's floor crew Friday. It's when we let them take over during the commericals. Don't miss them on the webcast. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. CharlesJ

What burns me is all the top economist, republicans and democrats, state that tax cuts will produce little to no impact. Mostly because as long as there is no spending inventory stays high. Until there is major spending there will be more layoffs.

February 6, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  2. Jim

Anderson! Who do I tell that I don't want any stimulus money sent here to me in the Philippines like they did last year? I'm not flying back to spend it in the US and neither are the hundreds of thousands of other Americans living abroad.

February 6, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  3. Ashley - Hamlin, NY

Gergen....thanks so much for your insight. AC360 wouldn't be the same without you.

February 6, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  4. dan in cleveland tn

great job as always anderson ,,,i think we are truely at a bad place for our country i dont think anyone knows what to do but thanks anderson for keeping then honest

February 6, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  5. Mike, Syracuse NY

@Stacy, the debt from this stimulus will be getting paid off for generations. How can you say it's good long term? It's a finger in the dike at best.

February 6, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  6. cleveland

We, the people voted for change. A long ignored need to develop our lower and middle class. The media and the Repub. keep trying to define what they consider change. The media is too focused on the scoop and not the people who voted for Obama. Had we not kept putting it off, maybe Katrina wouldn't have been such a disaster. And if the wealthy really have the ability to fix things, tell 'em to pony up. They're certainly still getting paid!

February 6, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  7. jarrod

i can't beleive they cut the education part of the bill when states are suffering

February 6, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  8. Effie

What continues to frustrate me about the Republicans' insistence on tax cuts is that they seem to have overlooked the fact that a tax cut will not help someone whose job has been lost. If a person doesn't have paycheck, how's he going to get a tax break??!!!!

February 6, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  9. Vonnie

We should all be in front of the White House right now with signs telling our elected officials to SIGN THIS STIMULUS PACKAGE!

10. Tom of Philly

Its just silly posturing really, one mans pork is another mans porkchop. so you might think building me a new road is outrageous and i might think supporting california's public employees is pork after all you dont need to make quite as much to buy a house there anymore, right? The problem was this big a package needed months to sort out, but we dont have time like that, this will jolt confidence in the markets, well until the next round of bad news anyway.....

11. Jim

I wish our elected officials would stop playing childish party line games. It's time they start voting for what is right for the country, and not for what the party leaders tell them.

12. Janine from PA.

What should the stimulus package be? To give as much money as possible to the households of this country, cut payroll taxes too. The people would stimulate the economy not the greedy ceos.

13. Greg

Hey Anderson. Ali Velshi was just talking about what the other 350 Billion remaining in the TARP program should be used for. Why don't they just cust payroll taxes for the people and fund the government with that money?

Greg in Las Vegas

14. Ron, Saint Louis

What I want to know is are the buy American provisions still in the Senate bill? They better be.

15. John

Hi – The stimulus bill does not do enough for small businesses. Here is a suggestion – Why woould the government not set aside some money to back the loans that the banks can give to small businesses? Again the suggestion is to give loans to small businesses than dole out money only to the select few big businesses who keep cutting jobs everyday.

16. patrick michigan

housing crisis education infrastucture energy technology health care job creation food stamps i dont think washington has a clue about whats going on they are not in touch with the communitys in the states the represent.

17. Rob

Why not lower everybody's mortgage to 4%. That would be a practical way to give a large portion of the population extra money each month along with a psychological boost that the government cares about them

18. Howard Heflin

We need to fix the housing crisis, and we need some answers on how the banks are going to perform in the next 12 months so that small business can start hiring again. I say these two as my top priorities, and I don't have a job right now! If I can figure this out as the priority, and I think a majority of America has figured this out, yet we are going to spend 1.1 trillion on very little stimulation.

19. Lashawna

Anderson,
    How can one knowingly reject any educational programs? Cutting these equates to cutting our future!

20. Susan

David, I am grateful it will pass but I don't think most economists think that the ratio of tax cuts is going to be helpful.

21. Maureen T

Good evening Anderson! TGIF! President Obama is on his way!

22. Ron and Linda

It seems like now its time for President Obama to engage in some old fashioned arm twisting (like LBJ) to get house democrats to go along with the cuts from the senate version. Does he have that in him.

23. Tina

What is so bad is that we do not know where this money is going. They say , here. It could go there. I just really don't trust it is going where it should when so much is going on.

24. Renee

Cuts should have come from the pork (STD, lawn maintenance, funding of foreign governments) in lieu of education funding. Bush never fully funded NCLB! I guess Obama will not either.

25. Renee Y

I think if Pres. Obama gives in too much to the republicans he is setting a precedent and they will always fight him to get their ideas into any bill he submits

26. Lori from IL

Anderson - you asked what I would like to see cut from the bill - the tax cuts. They haven't worked for the last eight years, so I'm not sure why the senators insisting on them think they will work now.

27. Jasmine- Spokane

Really the only thing that should be in this bill is another modernization of FDR's New Deal. It seems a little extreme since this is a recession not a depression, but if that worked in the darkest of times, it has to work Now. I don't want to become an Oakie....

February 6, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  28. Nicole

The Democrats should not agree to cut education out of the stimulus bill. But of course, the Republicans would be happy to cut it out because the people who need money for education aren't any of their rich friends, but are poor/middle class people who actually need it.

February 6, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  29. carolyn cee yah

hi anderson&erica, david im really upset about them taking out the
    funding for the schools construction that would have created more construction jobs in the cities that were hit by the levees and floods from last year. i can still see houses floating down the river. the republicans are really trying to be a throne in president obama side.

February 6, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  30. Cessy, Chicago

Education spending cuts are unacceptable. Same as the mom of the Octuplets being unemployed but can afford to have her nose and lips done. So wrong!

February 6, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  31. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

Republicans have a tricky definition of "pork," as it seems to include all spending that they find non-essential according to their ideological perspective. According to this perspective, some actually argue that the Dept. of Education should not exist in the first place, as they do not believe it to be the government's job to educate children. As such, slapping the "pork" label on education spending would be easy for many Republicans, as ridiculous as their argument may be.

February 6, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  32. Lori

Is it true that every dollar of the Stimulus Package will be borrowed funds? If so, who will we borrow the money from? At what interest rate? How many years will it take to pay off?

February 6, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  33. Adriana R M Atlanta,Ga

Tax cuts uggh. Won't they ever learn.

February 6, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  34. Chris@stl

I watched the circus in the senate this evening.

Senators who opposed this bill (McCain, Kyl, Shelby, etc) should apologise to American people for their opposition to compromise on the bill.

Two arguments they put forth – the great depression era spending and the Japanese experience in the 90's are flawed. Times are different and the situation and circumstances are different. The best and the only way to kick start the economy is by "shock awe" – targeted spending, and supporting banks to lend. When you put people back to work , things will improve. Right now, it is only the Fed that can and is capable of spending money.

Another argument by the opponents for the stimulus bill is the talk about "deficit" and passing the debt on to next generation. However, what they don't realize is that by doing nothing will have 'worse' consequences than that. If you and I can't survive this catastrophe, forget about the next generation ....

Get real guys!

February 6, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  35. CharlesJ

Building schools provides jobs... a lot of jobs. I dont get it. It is like the republicans want this to fail.

I am surprised they cut food stamps. There are 11 million unemployed that need this assistance, not to mention the seniors that lost their life savings.

February 6, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  36. Gerry in Toronto

David Gergen, I'm really surprised the republicans forced the reduction on educational spending. Investments in education are the future of the country.

And on the other hand they wanted to lower the top marginal tax rate from 35% to 25% which would have added 3 trillion more in national debt over the next 10 years and totally hobbled the countries fiances.

So top income earners would get a great tax break and the weath transfer from the middle class would continue and the schools would crumble. What's wrong with these guys-don't they realize this didn't work before.

By the way, please whisper something in Anderson's ear each night. It's President Obama not Mr. Obama.

February 6, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  37. Michelle D. Fonthill,Ont

Where are people going to look for jobs ? The loses are higher thani 34 yrs . it's crushing they are sending the jobs eleswhre so the jobs that did exsit here are no longer where are poeple supposed to lok next?

February 6, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  38. Debbie

Why does the government not do something to stop the layoffs? It would cost very little, really maybe just helping with benefits. (which could be paid through unemployment benefits as they would be used) If a company is going to layoff 10% of the workforce then why not mandate that the entire workforce reduce their hours by 10%. That keeps EVERYONE working at reduced hours. Retirees etc would not need to be replaced. There should be a regulation in place to insure that current employees get increased hours before hiring from outside.

February 6, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  39. Belinda

Hi David, I'm holding my fire in regards to the education being cut out. Why? Because I believe that the President and the Democrats could have a separate bill to address education. That is something that Obama is truly passionate about.

I couldn't believe the nonsense that was coming out of McCain and Vitter today. Classic!

Mike in NY, saw your comment on Cafferty!

February 6, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  40. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Thanks Ali for information that so awful people have been lost jobs few months and years!

February 6, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  41. Linda

Republicans don't care if the poor and middle class kids get educations, they could care less. They want to cut out money to help build up schools, and educations. They even cut done college grants and funds for kids trying to get into college. If you think they care about our kids you are kidding yourself. My daughter in Law School and I am worried about whether she can continue to be funded to finish her degree. So now I have to worry where the money is going to come from to help with this, this is not good. Isn't educating our kids a good thing? Well McCain and his buddy Graham and the rest of those Republican fat cats don't have to worry about their kids futures

AND ANDERSON I DON'T WANT TO HEAR ABOUT THAT STUPID WOMAN AND HER 8 KIDS.

February 6, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  42. Mike, Syracuse NY

I'm wondering why we keep hearing that this is the worse economy since the depression when all the numbers were worse than now in the 80's under Clinton.

February 6, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  43. Bridget, TX

Hi Anderson, CNN team and my fellow bloggers, what a week we've had.

I feel bad for President Obama, he's working hard because he cares and for that he's taking a beating.

February 6, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  44. Melinda

David,
    As a teacher, I am really sad about this news. I already feel like I am pulling teeth to go ask for some board markers. Isn't education the future? What are people thinking? We are very careful with money in my district, as I am sure most are. Very sad.

February 6, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  45. CharlesJ

I dont get it, how can they say that building coast guard cutters are not creating jobs. Wow, ship builders, steel, plumbing, electrical, computers, marine engine... that is serious job creation.

February 6, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  46. Lori from IL

Good Evening Anderson, David Gregen, 360 Crew and Fellow Bloggers –

I echo the T.G.I.F., Michelle.

David - While I am happy to see a bill that can pass the Senate, I'm disappointed that many of the cuts are in education. Hopefully, these items can be put through in a different bill. I'm sad to see the tax-cuts were kept in, but that's part of the compromise to get the Repubs on board. It will be interesting to see what the final bill looks like that ends up on President Obama's desk. Sounds like the White House is going to get involved when the bill goes to committee.

February 6, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  47. Susan

David, Other than Lindsey Graham who spoke about it tonight , how has Obama's speech effected Obama's position? I saw your concern last night after the speech and it is the one time I have hoped you were wrong. Were you?

February 6, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  48. Jasmine- Spokane

All of you 360 newsies are doing amazing! I like the historical context that Ali integrated with the job losses. Without that context there isn't much understanding about the "why"s and the "how"s.

February 6, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  49. Isabel Abreu, Brazil

Nice tie, Mr. Cooper!

And the explanation about jobs losses are great!

February 6, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  50. Vanessa, TX

I heard earlier on CNN that we are just BEGINNING w/ the job loss and it might get worse.....very staggering statistics and that it might be 1-1 1/2 years before it MIGHT get better

February 6, 2009 at 10:08 pm |