February 6th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 2/6/09

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

It's floor crew Friday. It's when we let them take over during the commericals. Don't miss them on the webcast. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. EM-Fort Wayne, IN

Good show Anderson, Gergen, Erica and ACBloggers...have a good weekend

February 6, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  2. Dulcie - Denver

Hope everyone has a great weekend! Thanks for a great show!

February 6, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  3. Ray

Hello Anderson and Company:
    Bankers Partying in Vegas, huh:

I just got my CitiBank statement and the interest rate doubled from last month. I definitely know who is paying for the fun – twice – thru the interest rate plus from the Bale Out that I contributed to.

February 6, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  4. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Good night Anderson and Erica, have a great weekend!

February 6, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  5. Carolina

My grandmother had 20 children and adopted 1. Having so many children was kind of common in the past. I don't understand why people make such a big deal of it right now.

February 6, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  6. Kim

I know many of us are desparately needing help, but it scares me that our government is trying to rush the bill through. It makes me wonder what they are trying to slip by us? I haven't read the bill, but it sounds like a lot of non-stimulus related spending from what I've heard. Stimulus checks in the hands of the taxpayers seems like the best solution. Does anyone know if that's still in the bill, or just tax cuts?

February 6, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  7. Shillie, Sioux Falls, SD

@ Erica, just like what you said it's the sheer number of 14 children whether it's a couple or a single lady. Especially right now it's a clear example of how difficult it is to pay for children, even more so if she wants them to go to college, how in the world?! Good luck to her though, she has her hands full!

February 6, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  8. Esma

Don't worry, Anderson, your interview with Obama rocked! Have a great weekend, everyone! Sweet stimulus dreams!

February 6, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  9. Daniel A. Nelson Lafayette,IN

Obama's campaign slogan was yes we can but with this recovery plan the sick, elderly and poor are left out and those who have enjoyed prosperity are the ones who will recover. So it is still we and them not all! This recovery plan will fail and we and them will feel the pain!

February 6, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  10. Gerry W

Amy 's lack of respect for the man and the positions speaks volumes about her.

I fail to understand how you can have responsible commentators like David Gergen and Ed Rollins and then political hacks like Amy

February 6, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  11. Melinda

Wow,
    David, if Kennedy does come to vote, it will be the most awesome thing ever!! Loves you.

February 6, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  12. Bob - Atlanta

Let the Mom of 14 get on with her parenting and her upcoming TLC show.... sponsored by Pampers and the U.S stimulus package.

Enough already! It's the weekend TGIF.

February 6, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  13. Nattada, Houston TX

Erica, I think I am more interested on how the kids are doing and will be doing in the future, not much on her.

She said it's a gamble, I totally do not get her. I do not think she really has a clear idea what she has done. I mean, she think she does, but apparently she does not.

February 6, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  14. David, Indiana

Vanessa, glad you mentioned that. That report in Erica's news bulletin that caught my attention. I'm glad the Obama's found time to go out on a date too. Although, I think generally Presidents and First Ladies do a lot of that.

Megan, thanks, it's important the Christian Bale made an apology. He seemed genuinely embarrassed.

Anderson, I don't know, the Nevada economy could probably use a 5m convention, but bankers running wild in Vegas on Tarp funds could be a public relations problem. It's like the whole economy is grounded. Bad banks in trouble, bad infrastructure grades

February 6, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  15. Lauren--NY

Erica, I'm with Bethany–more interested in the doctor. I hope he's investigated and has his license revoked for implanting six embryos–particularly in a woman under 35, as she's in the most fertile age group and I believe the guidelines would recommend no more than two. Six is ridiculous.

She's clearly a little off–eight in the womb would be too many whether she was married or not. She's grasping at straws.

February 6, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  16. Jackie- Iowa

Good gawd people if he wasn't a smoker before, after this first 2 wks in office and dealing with the press and the republicans, he should definately be a 2 pk a day kinda guy !!!!

February 6, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  17. Maureen T

Thanks for a great show Anderson! Have a wonderful weekend and please get some rest! xo

February 6, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  18. Lori from IL

Anderson, Erica and 360 Crew. – Good show tonight. Good mix of news/stories. Hope you all have a good weekend. And thanks for all your hard work -

Fellow Bloggers - Good comments. Good night and I hope everyone has a good weekend.

February 6, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  19. LisaL - Canada

i sure hope society can get to a point where the male-female gender issues become less of an issue. having spent a lot of years in male-dominated professions, i've learned that some people handle differences better than others.

February 6, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  20. Emma

I think what she did was selfish. I don't know how she will be able to care for them properly given that she does not have a job and has to live with her parents. I could care less how many kids she has or wants; however, having kids just because you want to without considering the repercussions is both dumb and irresponsible.

February 6, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  21. Miranda

Anderson and crew :)-

Have a great weekend, make it fun!

Miranda

February 6, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  22. Michelle

I do not know what the think about the octuplet mom.

February 6, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  23. Ken in NC

Well Anderson, Erica and all Bloggers, I hope you have a nice weekend and see you all MOnday night. I vow not to turn on the TV all weekend. I have had my fill of Congress.

Good night all.

February 6, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  24. anderson cooper

good evening everyone.. good discussion tonite... you are right.. people should use the correct terms when mentioning the President.

I will also point out, because a lot of people seem not to know this.. that when discussing the President, on first reference one says "President Obama" but on second reference one can say "Mr. Obama."

But clearly just saying "Obama" is not correct.

February 6, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  25. May from Tennessee

Evening Anderson, Erica, David, 360 Team and Bloggers! Indeed something is better than nothing...sad to see education cut though. I just wonder if during the time it takes to see positive results from the stimulus bill, how many more will lose their homes, their jobs, go hungry, become depressed? Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to sound pessimistic...I really am hopeful for the future...I just think it will take a long time before we start to feel some relief in the economy. Guess we all will just have to buckle down and do the best we can.
    Anyway, good night all and have a great weekend.

February 6, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  26. Randy

Who is paying the hospital bill for the new mother of 8?

February 6, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  27. JIM

Since when is it un-American to disagree with an economic stimulus bill. If they do not believe it will work why should they vote for it.

February 6, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  28. Ted (New Jersey)

Anderson,

Will the different categories (Environment, Education, Infrastructure Investments, etc) of the stimulus package be phased in at different times or will all of the categories be implemented at once? Please advise.

Thanks,

Ted

February 6, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  29. Miranda

Anderson-

Poor Ms. Suleman and she is not at the hospital with her kids she loves so much-right...she is doing interviews!

I know of no mother with one let alone many that would be any where else but the hospital right now looking and caring for the newborns.

I feel a media blackout coming on.

Miranda

February 6, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  30. Sam, Ewa Beach, HI

I just hope the children are healthy mentally and physically.

People aren't just judging her based off how many kids or the fact she is doing it as a single mom. She also doesn't have a good income source. Especially at this time, in this economy...

February 6, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  31. keith

hello everyone- I'm probably a lone wolf here but here's my two cents
    The federal government only supply's 4or 5 percent of education funding
    through mandating programs to the states. Education is primarily paid on the local level. All this fear of any reduction in education funding is really unfounded, unless it's about a specific pet project. Case in point
    this bill is supposed to be a economical stimulus package, not a spending bill. Spending on education,health insurance, and all other social projects should be debated in separate bills and passed on their own merit.This should be a clean bill with only items that would stimulate our economy in the next 18 months. My wish list would be repeal of all corporate income tax, instill a flat income tax or the fair tax
    two years of stimulus checks for households under a certain income
    and a federal clearinghouse bank to buy and hold the bad debt the banks have on their books allowing them to start lending again.
    I enjoy your show Anderson. thanks

February 6, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  32. EJ (USA)

Anderson, Erica,

She meant she had them all implanted because she felt they are already babies and was not going to discard any of them.

February 6, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  33. Karen C

Dang, wanted to add....Pell Grants help me KEEP my job as a teacher. I have two jobs, but losing teaching is a severe loss. It's not pork. This country will really spiral down if education on all levels weakens.

February 6, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  34. Carla

made over 180K last year, have become more conservative in my political views, but am completely willing to let PRESIDENT Obama try his stimulus package. I can afford to send my child to college, am pretty secure in my profession/work status, but really worry about the declining state of our economy for the middle class and young Americans who are not being appropriately educated and later employed. I’m not surprised by Congress but as usual am very disappointed! The President still has my support.....Do you know I have a degree and appalled by this statement. It is because of you who has your head in the clouds and doesn't realize that what we midwesterns are growing through with not getting the money we deserve! I am sorry I served my country for 9 years, have a Bachelors and I barely make $30,000 in a job in North Dakota where Cost of Living is actually higher than other places...So, Get over yourself!

February 6, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  35. Stacy

@biba: I completely agree. This behavior should not be encouraged.

February 6, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  36. Kelly, SF

Anderson, if she was married for 12 years, and her oldest child is 7 – then why is a "friend" the sperm donor and not her husband?

February 6, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  37. Mary

Watching Anderson's Story on the bankers going to Las Vegas' Venetian even though their banks have taken tax-payer dollars, i thought I would point out the Oakland Marriott City Center is available for $199 per night and it is directly connected to the Oakland Convention Center(98,000 sq ft of convention center). If these "execs" do not want to incur any more tax-payer wrath, perhaps they can change thier reservations and book their "meetings" at the Oakland Marriott. While I certainly can't speak for the Chairman of Marriott, I am sure he would throw in some extra chocolates for each evening's turndown service. And then, maybe these execs could take a wonderful tour of Alcatraz and thinking of that, maybe they could even stay there for life!!! I hear there are room available!! Would't that be poetic justice!! Perhaps, they could even have a sleep-over on Alcatraz and invite the AIG folks who went to the Squaw Peak Resort...Oh, sweet dreams for all!!!

February 6, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  38. carolyn cee yah

had enough erica, it seems to make nervous just thinking a milk, diapers, and the health issues to come for the children, and the solomon guy sperm donor should pay child support.

February 6, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  39. Cessy, Chicago

Lifeling dream to have 14 children without a job and planning to go to college to pursue counseling? Wow! Anderson, send her to me and i'll give her counseling myself!

February 6, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  40. Heather

I don't care if he smokes if I was him I would with all that he had on his desk when he walked in to the whitehouse. Not cool on Bush's part

February 6, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  41. Fred

The auto industry is the most vital industry and jobs creation in the U.S. yet I do not see one thing in this stimulis bill that will put one auto worker back to work. If the Govt. would send out 2.5 million vouchers of $10,000.00 ( 25 billion) It would put EVERY auto worker and supplier back to work tomorrow! With full employment in the auto industry. The Govt would get their 25 billion back in taxes in 2-3 years

February 6, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  42. Randy K

Shame on our "public officials" by the poeple for the people! Should be! By the government for corupt and the Greedy! We lost our savings now our jobs and businesses ultimatly our homes and cars, In the mean time Billions go to the corupt without punishment! Why do the same politicians who who messed everything up get enabled to make the problem worse! Very sad...............................................

February 6, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  43. Ashley - Hamlin, NY

Ah, she was recently divorced. Someone has attachment issues....

"And that is selfish?" What is selfish is having eight tiny babies where there could be huge health complications and mental issues.

February 6, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  44. Heidi Ann Berg

i actually probably would watch an reality show on her and see how she takes care of all those children .

February 6, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  45. Belinda

I am so glad that they are investigating the doctor of this woman. She is crazy! When is she going to have the time to go to school with 14 children? How is she going to provide food, shelter, clothes for these children? She was a mom of 6 kids already so her dream was already fulfilled. I guess she is going to hold them through the hunger.

February 6, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  46. Tracey - Boston

This woman is an idiot..how is going to obtain her masters' while raising 14 chiildren!!!!

February 6, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  47. Jasmine- Spokane

This chick is rediculous. For some reason I think she should get a psyche screening or something.....I can't beleive that she doesn't have to pay a dime for the treatments of those eight souls while tax payers have to pay for stupid things like this when we could be spending air time on better topics such as explaining more about the stimulus bill.......:(

February 6, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  48. Esma

Hey, Erica! I have a twisted fascination with this crazy mother, this is a 14-car pile up. But if you were to move on, I guess I could too. 🙂

February 6, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  49. Barbara in Boston

The octuplet's mom is geoing for a master's in counseling!?!?!?! Good God, the last thing we need is her as a shrink.

Sorry, but I work in the field. I can't imagine what she's thinking.

February 6, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  50. Isabel Abreu, Brazil

As a woman, without a clear source of income, can do this?
    How she can give a child (ups… 14 children) need?

February 6, 2009 at 10:52 pm |