AC360 Tuesday 8p

Ferry crew members answered questions about why more life rafts were not deployed. Tonight on AC360, the latest from South Korea on the effort to reach victims.
January 30th, 2009

Analyzing Haggard's interview

Anderson Cooper talks with psychiatrist Dr. Paul Dobransky for analysis of Ted Haggard's interview with Larry King.

1. Ron

Dr. Paul Dobransky comments were the most knowledgeble and helpful, I as a gay man , have heard. I wish I could have heard him 40 years ago. Whether I could have understood and accepted him, I do not know. I have had several years of psychoalalysis that has helped me .Being gay has been very conflicting to me.. The comments made by Oprah to Mr. Haggart were also insightful. I do not think that most young people bonrned in the past 20 years have the same psychological struggles as my generation. But I would like to emphasized the importants of Dr. Dobransky and Oprah comments. It would be helpful to hear more from them and people with their understanding. Thanks for your coverage.

February 1, 2009 at 11:05 pm |
  2. GF, Los Angeles

@ Mike I'm saying Haggard is one of those con artist preachers who convinces their flock to send his church i.e. him money. Look at the Bakers and what they did with all those "donations" to the church. They're all scam artists who trick people into sending their church's money all in the name of God.

It certainly wasn't Haggard's choice to get caught in the first place having homosexual relations much less get caught in another lie with the 20 year old. I'm sure he has much more to hide – just a matter of others coming forward. You said it he can't find another job so now he's trying to capitalize even more on his "rehabilitation" from having "those thoughts".

January 30, 2009 at 7:22 pm |
  3. Tammy, Berwick, LA

I love these therapists that diagnose without actually interviewing patients. It's like a doc diagnosing cancer without actually viewing tests or talking to the patient but simply going on heresay. The last time I checked homosexuality was ditched as a mental illness in the early 1970's, so why would you even bring in a therapist to discuss this anyway?

Haggard has a right to figure out his sexuality on his own terms and in his own time just like anyone else. His wife has the right to accept whatever this is in her own terms and time as well. How dare anyone judge another's sexuality, famous pastor or not. I am not sure how a man's sexuality is news or why it is news. It's deeply personal, it's private, and no one should have to defend themselves for being the way they are created. Really, if this is what you have to worry about on this show, you need lives. And we wonder why people still stuff themselves so far back in the closet they are choking on mothballs.

January 30, 2009 at 5:37 pm |
  4. Mary

I agree 100% with Carol.

Now tell me, what wife would stay with her husband after all of this?

January 30, 2009 at 1:57 pm |
  5. tghughes

I must say I enjoyed the coverage on Haggard. I even enjoyed what the psychologist that was brought on the show had to say; despite disagreeing on some points. I disagree with some of Haggard’s views about his sexuality and would love to meet his "counselor", but, I do not feel bad for the man. He dished out, so he should deal! But I do hope that he finds true happiness and follows what makes him truly fulfilled in life.

January 30, 2009 at 1:23 pm |
  6. Mike, Greenville NC

GF, I agree, he was a hypocrite, and that is one of the reasons he is in this position, but who are we to say that he is simply doing this for the money? He tried to get a job and was turned down because of his story. He has no secrets anymore. The media and the general public knows just as much about his personal life as his family. Do you really think that is his choice? I don't.

January 30, 2009 at 12:19 pm |
  7. GF, Los Angeles

@ Mike in Greenville the reason Haggard is getting flak over his sexuality is because he has preached hate against homosexualtiy when in fact he more than likely is one if not is bisexual. If he kept his mouth shut about homosexuality, people would be more forgiving.

January 30, 2009 at 12:14 pm |
  8. GF, Los Angeles

Haggard is a hypocrite and a scam artist who generated so much revenue from those who have been brainwashed by religion. His new acknowledgement that he was involved with a 20 year old volunteer further proves how people like him, the Bakers, and yes good ol' Billy Graham are all nothing but scammers who take money (in Haggard's case – has homosexual relationships as well) all in the name of God.

January 30, 2009 at 11:55 am |
  9. Carol,

I don't feel sorry for Haggard at all. This guy is a con artist , and the wife is too. He got caught the last time, and it took him a couple of years to figure out a new game, but he's got one.

Poor, pathetic, confused, misunderstood, Ted. I'm sure Poor- Sad- Ted will offer to do numerous paid speaking engagements to help others. He'll probably sign a million dollar book deal, solely for the purpose of cleansing his soul.

Please.........

January 30, 2009 at 11:26 am |
  10. Presley

Who are Haggard's "Counselors"?
    Why do I feel like "Counselor" is code for Spin Doctor or PR team?
    He's Gay. Not all of a sudden gay either. That's not how it works.
    And if I am not mistaken, during one of the documentary clips, did Haggard not say he would rather be considered a "Murderer" in some circles than Gay?
    Really? What are these circles? Who is in them? Why is he involved with them? A MURDERER over being gay?
    I have no sympathy for him. None. He's not confused, conflicted or working out his disgrace with this "Revelation" remedy. He got busted. Period. If he hadn't he would still be out there doing exactly what he had done before, deceive and betray his followers and exploit for profit.
    I am not religious, I do believe in something greater than us and I also believe who ever or what ever that is knows it's 2009 for crying out loud.

January 30, 2009 at 11:22 am |
  11. Mike, Greenville NC

I watched the HBO special, Larry King, and then the coverage on AC 360, and I truly believe Ted is handling this in the best way he knows how to now. I mean, who wouldn't lie to try to cover their butts if they had as much power as he did? Last night, I saw a repentant man who wanted to right his wrongs, and it broke my heart to see everything Ted had been stripped of after the allegations while in the church. I mean, his entire family was punished as they traveled across the nation and he failed to secure a job because of his story. It is sad and wrong.

I don't really understand how people can talk trash about him for not fully understanding his own sexuality. Most people seem to think they could diagnose him themselves...but as a gay man who still has physical attractions to women, but stronger attachments to men, I can't really put a label to my own sexuality besides loosely bi-sexual. I mean, he was put on the spot last night and the whole world could see what his sexual life was like. How would you feel? Sexuality is not a simple issue, and like Dr. Dobransky said, sexuality is genetic, not a simple choice.

Ted is still an amazingly charismatic man who showed many people to God, and no other sins are any less wrong than his in God's eyes. God knows Ted's heart and soul, and I am confident that he is forgiven. Every single day is the first day of the rest of your life...I am fully confident that Ted is on the right path, and his family and more importantly, Ted, are in my thoughts and prayers.

Great coverage Anderson, many people didn't appreciate the coverage, but for me who knows what it is like to lose most of my friends and my job because of my sexuality, I truly appreciate the coverage. Thanks for a job well done.

January 30, 2009 at 11:16 am |
  12. Michael "C" Lorton, Virginia

Anderson: There is an old saying which applies to Haggard--it is better to ask for forgiveness than permission-a complex man with serious issues--and the bottom line--who ever thought that saving souls and selling salavation could generate so much revenue--a tad bit off the original intent of Christ.

January 30, 2009 at 11:16 am |
  13. Cindy

I found this to be the most interesting thing on 360 last night!

I just can't believe that Haggard still doesn't get it. He is tip toeing around the real truth and not wanting to see what's right in front of his face. Actually I just feel really sad for the man..I do!

Cindy..Ga.