January 27th, 2009

Dear President Obama #8: Your six-thousand pound beast

The style of the presidential limousine, though President Obama's car is black.
The style of the presidential limousine, though President Obama's car is black.

Reporter's Note: President Obama has solicited public input. There are 300-million Americans. That’s a lot of letters.

Tom Foreman | Bio
AC360° Correspondent

Dear Mr. President,

Just seven days ago you were standing in the cold taking the big oath, and now you are celebrating your weekiversary! Congratulations. I imagine this has been either the longest or shortest week of your life, and maybe at times it felt like both. But you made it through with no major slips, no scandals, no ill-timed cracks at someone who might take offense. I know that sounds like a modest accomplishment, but in Washington we’re used to watching our politicians stumble around like Boris Yeltsin at an open-bar wedding reception, rest his soul. So again: Good on ya.

I’ve addressed several serious matters of late, so I want to shift gears to something that is not so intense: That new ride of yours. The Cadillac limo. The Beast.

I understand that the Secret Service is keeping its best Bond features under wraps, but from what I gather this is quite the car. Rocket-stopping steel plate, bullet-proof glass, tires that can never go flat; impervious to chemical attacks, and I’m willing to bet, it has a GPS system that looks like something from the Matrix. Which I suspect you’ll want because the mileage must be the pits, what with it weighing at least six-thousand pounds.

But has it occurred to you that while you have the coolest cruiser in town, you can never drive it? Presidents don’t get to drive anywhere. You always need some sort of Jack Bauer, quick getaway man behind the wheel. Judging from The West Wing, you have to conduct all sorts of important meetings on the roll. Plus, if you did drive, and got into a wreck, the liability issues would be awful. I suspect, not even that little lizard could get you affordable insurance.

Maybe you can get the security guys to take you to the stadium where the Redskins play and let you drive around the lot. I know that seems like small potatoes, but even though being President comes with a lot of perks, it also has its downsides. And frankly I don’t even know if ex-presidents get behind the wheel much.

Take heart. If you make it eight years in office, your daughters will be driving by the time you get out. They can get you around. And you think you have worries now!

I’ve friended you in Facebook.

Regards,

Tom

To read more of the Foreman letters, click here.

1. John

A letter to my leaders :

Letters To Leaders
    All messages are published with permission of the sender. The general topic of this message is Budget:
    Subject:
    Oppose the Economic Stimulus Package

To:
    President Barack Obama
    Rep. Michael Arcuri
    Sen. Charles Schumer

January 28, 2009

I oppose the economic stimulus package because I dont see how putting sod in the lawn , or getting cars for the government is going to help people like me !
    I am a 47 year old unemployed man who is having the most difficult time I ever have had just to put food on the table of my home ! I have bad teeth that I cant fix because I dont have the money nor the insurance to do so ! If I ever have some type of serious health problem , you might as well just bury me and get it over with because I wont be able to pay for it ! We are in serious serious trouble in this economy and I dont see howe more of the same is going to fix anything ! President Obama , you said that it was a time for change , I listened to your words and felt moved to tears by them. I thought that we were actually going to see some good , finally ! If this stimulus package passes , all it will do is make the rich richer and the poorer will be less than poor , they will be in the worst shape ever , probably worse than the great depression of the 20's ! This is a terrible bill ! I am ashamed that the people we now have in government can only think about lawns and cars ,and not about the 70,000 jobs lost in just one days time ! You said time for a change ! Then prove it ! Make a change for the people that are the backbone of where your getting all this money from ! Not a change for the fatcats who will enjoy our blood sweat & tears ! Please dont make me sorry I voted for you mr president ! Do what Bush was afraid to do , take a stand for the people ! Not for the greedy , lying , deciving fatcats of the Bush administration !

Newfield , NY

January 28, 2009 at 12:47 pm |
  2. Linda Ward Mattsson, Rutland, VT

We need forward thinkers! Men and women who will look to and plan for the future. I see President Obama and his Team as doing just that! I hope Republicans (and others) will see this need, this hope, this plan, and move forward with the Obama Team. Our economic survival, our future well being as a nation depends on these folks. I am willing to give them pretty much free rein. I think President Obama can and will be the leader to lift us from the abyss.

January 27, 2009 at 8:37 pm |
  3. GUY

It looks like Sheila needs to loosen up – maybe the President can drive her around in his new car and calm her down a bit.

January 27, 2009 at 7:07 pm |
  4. Charles, South Carolina

Selia, your comment was virtually unrealated to the story. Please move your complaints and biases against the republican party elsewhere.

January 27, 2009 at 6:18 pm |
  5. shirley smith

I think it is a shame that the congress gives themselves particularly the Republicans a 90,000 raise for the year and the retired Federal
    employess only gets 5.8. they will never be able to keep up with the
    increase of interest rates at the banks. Then the republicans don't wantto support the stimulus and the President is only doing what the people
    who elected him want. These republicans are just being dilatory.

January 27, 2009 at 6:06 pm |
  6. Cheryl T.

Mr. President
    The stimulus to the CEO's is a joke, give us the money. You will not have to worry about how we will spend it. Most of the homes lost to forclosures will be bought, GM, Ford, Chrysler tell us, we'll buy those. Most of us are aware of the stock martket and yes we will invest. A man in california killed his family because he and his wife lost their jobs. Our economy is not getting back to any type of growth by haggling with the CEO's, The money they all have stolen came from our sweat. How can you honestly believe the way is to give them the money. We have always worked and we always will, please don't give them the money.
    Let them start from the bottom and earn our trust again.

Cheryl
    from Lithonia, GA

January 27, 2009 at 6:03 pm |
  7. Michael Laffargue

Congradulations Mr. President. Myself and America have high hopes for you. One thing I have a problem with is the billions of dollars of bailout money going to Cooperations that just seem to be enjoying it for themselves. Now I have not crunched any numbers but I feel it would be best dividing out this money to the American citizens. What would that be? 100K a piece? Let us stimulate the economy. Pay our morgages, buy cars, buy off credit card bills, on and on. I feel this would be a better way of correcting our economic down fall rather that give our money to large cooperations so they can by jets, have lavish partys and god knows what.

January 27, 2009 at 2:41 pm |
  8. Stacy

I'm enjoying your letters, Tom. Every president could use a good penpal...and a Facebook friend.

January 27, 2009 at 2:28 pm |
  9. Brenda

President Obama, I would like to commend you on your first few days in office. We, as a people are behind you 100 percent and wish you well in all of your endeavors. We pray that GOD will continuously
    protect you and your family and we hope for better days to come.

January 27, 2009 at 12:46 pm |
  10. EJ (USA)

I wish I could ride in that car just once.

January 27, 2009 at 11:13 am |
  11. SHEILA

The Republicians voted yes to a $750B bailout plan, that gave banks billions of dollars without any knowledge of how the money would be used. President Obama has asked for passage of a stimilus package of that is approximately $250 billon dollars more than the original package. The president's package is loaded with with new jobs. Isn't that what we need, to put people back to work? My message is to the Republicians. "Stop being such hard noses, vote for the stimilus package and get Americans back to work." I don't think your conststituents would like it, if the economy keeps going down the toilet.. " President Obama I'm behind you 100%. Great job!, on your first week as president."

January 27, 2009 at 10:48 am |
  12. Charlotte D

Tom, are you angling to get invited to play B-Ball with Barack? You better practice your dribble.

January 27, 2009 at 10:37 am |
  13. Conner

and this country thinks that HUMMER is killing the earth with greenhouse effects

January 27, 2009 at 10:30 am |
  14. Janett

The last sentence just makes the whole piece. Bravo, Tom!

January 27, 2009 at 9:50 am |
  15. Brow

I wonder if its a gas guzzler? :)

January 27, 2009 at 9:47 am |
  16. Amanda-Ontario Canada

Sounds like quite the ride. One good thing about being President, his two daugthers will always have escorts. Think the President can spare one of his Secret Service men for my daughter when she starts dating?

January 27, 2009 at 9:26 am |
  17. Cindy

I have to agree with Tom...the "beast" is one cool car! I love the look of it!! I too wonder what wild things that thing can do. I bet it has some James Bond maneuvers to it. It wouldn't surprise me if it could actually shoot rockets not just stop them with it's steel plates

Cindy...Ga.

January 27, 2009 at 9:13 am |
  18. Annie Kate

You know they had to have tested models of this car before they came out with the Beast. I'd love to see what those tested models look like after the test....and what tests they did on them – at least the ones they will tell us about. I wonder what the test dummies look like too after the tests....Hopefully, Obama will never need all the gee-whiz stuff this car has.

January 27, 2009 at 8:54 am |