January 20th, 2009
  1. Ric

It is also possible that it was never Obama's intention to write a speech that will be etched in stone some day. Obama has so much respect and reverence for Lincoln that it would be sacrilegious to "compete" with the great 16th American president.

I think that Obama delivered a speech that was more a call for action in this trying times.

January 21, 2009 at 10:26 am |
  2. Mary Anne

President Obama's inaugural speech was very inspiring. The thread that spoke to me was the challenge of personal, community and national service–that I can, when joined with my fellow American make a difference in the healing of America. I am 51 years old and for the first time in many years feel very excited and blessed to be an American. Thank you President Obama!

January 21, 2009 at 2:24 am |
  3. jim Fallbrook CA

President Barack Hussein Obama's inaugural speech was the worst that I have ever heard. It was just rhetoric. It sure didn't inspire Wall street. The Dow fell about 350 points. In his first 100 days in office, it won't inspire the American people.

January 20, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  4. John Barringer

A minor error in Obama's speech: 43 Americans and not 44 Americans have taken the Presidential Oath of Office. Grover Cleveland was the 22nd and 24th President of the United States.

January 20, 2009 at 9:21 pm |
  5. Ashley

I don't understand why Jeffrey Toobin repeatedly states that President Obama did not have any memorable quote in his speech and that it was perishable. I agree with Roland Martin, there was nothing else he needed to say. As matter of fact President Obama does have a memorable quote that will remain in the hearts of all Americans, "Yes, We Can!"

January 20, 2009 at 8:19 pm |
  6. Annie Kate

The speech sounds just as good on the second hearing as it did on the first. Thanks for making it easily available.

January 20, 2009 at 8:13 pm |
  7. Gene Penszynski from Vermont

Yes ! What a refreshing and INTELLIGENT change from G W Bush's moronic school yard rhetoric. Maybe some Red Neck Idiots can relate to all that G W Bush neo-con hatred sung to some moronic fascist nationalist 'country tune' with all the 'twngs' and 'wangs' and high pitched whinning of some 'country singer' advocating some dreivative of 'love it or leave it' but it's clear that main stream America is just plain fed up with this nonsense !

January 20, 2009 at 7:16 pm |
  8. Cindy

I have to agree with what Jeffrey Toobin said on this one. While it was a good speech it was not a great one. There was no "I Have A Dream" moment or no line that will be remembered forever and quoted over and over like several presidents had in the past such as FDR when he said..."There is nothing to fear but fear itself." I think the speech won't be remembered in years to come. It'll fall to the way side.

Cindy...Ga.