January 20th, 2009

Excitement in the air

Thousands of spectators crammed the street outside one of the security gates at the ceremony Tuesday.

Nic Lott
Mississippi Office of Renewal and Recovery

What an amazing day for America! Whether you are a Republican or Democrat, today is a day we can all look upon with joy for our young democracy.

The excitement in the air is widespread. People are laughing, dancing, crying, hugging, jumping, and some are even shouting. I welcome to the political roundtable those in my generation who have been absent.

It is freezing out here. Almost a bit too much for a Smith County boy from Mississippi.

It's all worth it as I will be able to tell my one year old son Nicholas all about it some day.

The streets are covered with eager anxious onlookers awaiting the inauguration of America's first black president.

Read Nic's earlier blog posts here.
Editor’s note: Nic Lott is Director of Special Operations in the Mississippi Governor’s Office of Renewal and Recovery. He was the first African American student body president at Ole Miss.

Filed under: Inauguration
  1. Katrina

This truly is history in the making. Today's Inauguaration event has reinforced why I am so proud to be an American. I will no longer refer to myself as an "African-American", but simply an American. Only in the greatest courntry in the world could today's event manifest itself in such a mesmerizing style. I would like to thank President Obama for his insight and drive to make our country a true melting pot where everyone can experience success through hard work and drive. Yes, We Can!!!

January 20, 2009 at 4:46 pm |
  2. Shalette Cauley-Wandrick

This January 20, 2009 mark a historical day. Hopefully this will be a stepping stone for allowing people to look at each other as human beings or as Dr. Martin Luther King would say “by the content of their character". We are a diverse nation and the color of blood that floods through each and every one of us is red so with that said; we are the same with different personalities. Today people will realize and understand this is a diverse nations and understanding that one race is not better than the other. The black and white image should be push out the door, and a sea of color or individuals now should be seen for their character. Their will be some people who will not support the change. It taken a long time to get this far and hopefully people will be true and honest to think other than race or religion.

President Obama has a large challenge ahead of him. As a diverse nation we need to work with him and give constructive advice and he has to stay open minded and listen to the people. You can expect him to hear everything the people are saying that is impossible. People have to understand that this nation has a plethora of problems. These problems did not occur overnight. Other countries are rejoicing and happy about the change that is happening in American today. We need to embrace the moment and be patient for the outcome.

January 20, 2009 at 3:59 pm |
  3. Elina

What a great moment for all of us, for Americans as well as for us living in far away countries! There is such a huge difference in the atmosphere, when compared to the administration of the now former President George W. Bush! It's not just about transition, it's about transformation, really!

January 20, 2009 at 3:48 pm |
  4. Mutullah

I am still so excited and I hope this excitement does not go away because it will be my fuel for the change that I want to see in America.

I mean I have not see a crowd like this on the National Mall since 1995 at the Million Man March. This was like watching a glimpse of Heaven.

January 20, 2009 at 2:47 pm |
  5. Andrea

I just wanted to make a comment regarding last nights coverage with Anderson Cooper, it appeared that Anderson became a little annoyed when people were waving in the background and when he went to interview someone in the croud, yes black people are excited, yes black people like being on tv, yes we are excited..I just don't think he handled it very well..I did look at other reps of the media they had no problem with interviews Anderson kept saying don't yell..I love CNN, but if Anderson is unable to interact with the crowd maybe he needs to stay in the studio..

January 20, 2009 at 2:18 pm |
  6. Anne - Expat in Ontario

My husband was delivering the last of our Kids Guides to Canada Post for delivery just before the event. (He was trying to get home in time to watch and did since everything was running a bit late.) The Canadian postal workers were wheeling a TV out so that they could all watch!

January 20, 2009 at 2:00 pm |
  7. Joan

I am a 68 yr old former teacher and political junkie. I have been glued to CNN all morning. I am distressed that so much attention has been given to the race issue. He is an American but the term being used is Africal-American. Obama himself corrected the use of this phrase. He is my president too and I am proud of his election, not because he is black (half black really) but because he is young, charismatic, intelligent, forward thinking and hopeful. Please be aware of the constant reference to his race and the number of black people you have asked about the (racial) significance of the day. Talk to some non-black people please.

January 20, 2009 at 1:16 pm |