January 19th, 2009

I have a dream, and so can you

Obama, with his wife Michelle, addresses volunteers at a luncheon on Monday.

Obama, with his wife Michelle, addresses volunteers at a luncheon on Monday.

Nic Lott
Mississippi Office of Renewal and Recovery

Tonight as I sit here with over a thousand people at the Congress of Racial Equality annual celebration of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.'s great contributions to the promise of America, I am filled with pride and a sense of duty and service to help fulfill the dream.

This evening not only serves as an evening to reflect upon the past and honor those brave pioneers who made sacrifices, some the ultimate sacrifice, to ensure that America realizes her true potential.

This evening is the eve of a momentous occasion in our nation's history. We remember the marches for freedom in our not-so-long-ago past. Now, time will march on as America celebrates the hope that people can judge others by the content of their character and not by the color of their skin.

Dr. King once said, "I may not get there with you, but we as a people will get to the promised land."

As we approach that promised land, we should keep in mind our work is never complete, but we should smile from ear to ear and rejoice in the moment of hope. America will continue to renew as we build on the lessons of the past and reach for the dreams of the future.

I too have a dream, and so should we all.

Editor's note: Nic Lott is Director of Special Operations in the Mississippi Governor's Office of Renewal and Recovery. He was the first African American student body president at Ole' Miss.

1. Kedra

Well said Nic!

January 20, 2009 at 11:11 am |
  2. PA Canada

Today I will Celebrate a monumental victory with Americans. Today a long awaited Dream becomes reality. Today many who made the long journey with MLK during those dark days of another time will finally see the curtain open on a new dawn, a new day and a new era. There are many more steps to take but no one can dispute that MLK's Dream has been realized and is in progress because it gave a young man The Adacity of Hope. God Bless Martin Luther King, God Bless America and President Barack Obama.

January 20, 2009 at 8:31 am |
  3. nichole

when i look at pres.elect barack obama;i see dr.king. the dream has been recognized. judging a person by their character not the color of their skin. this is what dr.king was fighting for. we still have a lot to do. however, our country has come a long way.

January 19, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  4. barbara berryman

All the way from Toronto.Ontario.Canada....thank you! MLK Day....to welcome BARACK OBAMA.... history in the making...My family and I are blessed to share in the History In The Making! I'll be wearing my OBAMA shoes during the inurguration...as we move through the Movement....
    The Universe has your back and WE LOVE YOU BARACK OBAMA.

January 19, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  5. Henry

I feel like one of the Misfit Toys on Misfit Island. I want to go to sleep to dream of a job, but I have no dreams left. President Elect Obama, you used them all up in your speeches. Enough on the Mountain and Dream speeches. We need jobs, and that's what you were elected for. Not so people could throw flowers at you. We down here at the southern borders of the US are doing a slow economic death. We too can dream, but without jobs that you promised, we won't have houses to dream in.

January 19, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  6. JC-Los Angeles

Let's hope Inauguration Day is the dawn of a new day in America where people remove race from discussions and focus on character, actions, ethics and accomplishments.

For those who embrace the new America, endless opportunities await; for those who choose the separatist path and harken back to darker days, they will fall further and further behind.

January 19, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  7. Robert High

What a gloroius day in America. We are truely blessed to see the making of history. I'm a 65 year old Black American that took part in the sit in's, walked in front of movie houses, etc. Yes, got hit, kicked and even was hosed with water, but all that is worth what is happening in this country now. I am filled with pride, not just as a Black American, but as "AN AMERICAN". We as a country will over come.

January 19, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  8. Dorothy McMorrow

I have been caught up in the celebrations until I saw that Obama's very first executive oder will be about abortions. He does not represent all Americans as he does not represent and even will cause harm to the most vulnerable Americans, the precious unborn.

January 19, 2009 at 10:27 pm |