January 19th, 2009

Anderson talks to the crowd during CNN's pre-inaugural coverage

Like the President-elect, many of us might find it difficult to give up a BlackBerry...

Filed under: Anderson Cooper • Inauguration
  1. lady

ANDERSON COOPER IT SEEMS THAT YOU HAVE A HARD TIME PUTTING "PRESIDENT" IN FRONT OF "OBAMA"..... WHETHER YOU LIKE IT OR NOT, HE IS "PRESIDENT OBAMA".

January 20, 2009 at 1:11 pm |
  2. Nari

The writing is on the wall:
    Jan 20 (IANS) Barack Hussein Obama became the 44th President of the US Tuesday – but not before two stumbles on the way.As Chief Justice John Roberts Jr. asked Obama if he was ready to take the oath, the president-elect replied in the affirmative.

But then he stumbled twice – beginning with the very first part of the oath, “I, Barak Hussein Obama, do swear…”

There was then a slightly longer pause, as Obama waited for Roberts to repeat the words, “I will faithfully executive the office of President of the United States….”

January 20, 2009 at 12:47 pm |
  3. keith alexander

Please Anderson explore the fact here that we have a bi racial president whoe along with the media chooses to only claim his african side while if he had chosen to only promote his white side the media would have gone crazy let's one time be fair please

January 20, 2009 at 10:21 am |
  4. African Girl

Yes we can.................I was on the mall for the concert on Sunday. I remain cautiously optimistic. The guy is over ambitious and his wife is an angry lady. Their message is not the same. She is more in a revenge mode and he is always talking about change. I wonder how those two will play our on the world stage. She was only proud of her country after her husband was close to winning.

January 20, 2009 at 8:42 am |
  5. Sarah in FL

WONDERFUL photo gallery.

I also enjoyed the conversations Anderson had with the children who are there.

January 19, 2009 at 5:41 pm |
  6. Jana, Indiana

I read on several blogs today that people were upset because Anderson was not with Wolf yesterday of the roof, but something tells me this was his idea and that he wanted to be with the ordinary people and hear what they had to say. He is so in his element when he does these kind of interviews and does a great job.

January 19, 2009 at 5:40 pm |
  7. Amy D.

Excellent photography.

January 19, 2009 at 5:04 pm |
  8. Adeline

Anderson, you are as great as ever. I'm in the UK so I couldn't be there.
    I love the way you are smiling at the little girl. Priceless. I hope you enjoyed yourself.

January 19, 2009 at 4:50 pm |
  9. Maureen T

Wonderful pictures! Thanks for sharing. I hope Anderson knows that he lights up when he is in the crowds amongst everyday people! He is just awesome answering questions of the average individual. This is something Anderson should do more often. Thanks again and can't wait for tonight's show!

January 19, 2009 at 4:37 pm |
  10. Lilllian

anderson, you just interviewed a man on the mall (4:25 p.m., 1/18) and he called the crowd in DC "a jigsaw puzzle of everyone from around the country." That was poetry. Re-use his phrase. It perfectly sums up what is starting to happen in this country - the pieces are (hopefully) coming together.

January 19, 2009 at 4:33 pm |
  11. anne,nfld,canada

These are terrific pictures,thanks for posting them.
    Anderson really enjoyed talking to the people in the crowds yesterday,especially the kids,you could tell from the smiles on his face.
    I would like to see him out in the crowd on Tuesday,but that MIGHT not be such a good idea,he may get lost among the millions,unless he has a GPS for you to find him again!

Great job here on the blog with all the posts,photos,and highlights,it will make a great archive of all the special moments of this historic event.

January 19, 2009 at 4:01 pm |
  12. Rekha AC

Hi Anderson,

Nice pictures. The last two especially have a sunny effect, with the sun smack on your head- good hair coverage, I should say. Your interviews were really cute, especially with the little black girl in her pink striped hat.
    Take care.

January 19, 2009 at 3:58 pm |
  13. Peter Treviño from New York City

Anderson loves the people, and the people love Anderson. There is no doubt about it.

I envy all the people here, they took the time off from work, school and home, they braved the cold weather, they saved their money to travel to Washington, DC for such a memorable occasion.

Lucky, lucky people. Lucky, lucky America!

January 19, 2009 at 3:52 pm |
  14. Isabel, RJ, Brazil

Anderson, must have been very good you feel the human warmth in the midst of so cold, eh?
    His smile and girl's smile are very cute (and sweet). And children are all good!
    Great photos!
    Congratulations!

January 19, 2009 at 3:48 pm |
  15. Mike, NC

Anderson Cooper...a man after my own heart. Must have been freezing cold there, but you went out and did an amazing job talking and getting different opinions...you were the highlight of the ceremony in my opinion!

January 19, 2009 at 3:46 pm |
  16. kaleighsimmons

Great pictures.

Watching all this coverage gives me chills. Look at all those people – probably freezing, couldn't see a thing, and wouldn't want to be anywhere else. I love it. What a fantastic time to be a journalist.

January 19, 2009 at 3:31 pm |
  17. Nab weekly.ca

Love these pictures of Anderson and the many smiles around him. Even sitting here from Canada watching I can feel the emotion and continues to bring tears to my eyes as we enter into a new era, one that will make a change for the better in the world for my children.

I wanted to Road Trip to Washington DC tommorow or leave today and get as close to Washington as possible knowing I would never get close to the events but to even just soak in the smiles and happy tears of the people, mine included. Doesn't look like it will be possible but I will get the next best thing and through the eyes of CNN and the millions of people there I'll soak it in from here.

God Bless and Stay Safe to all

January 19, 2009 at 3:25 pm |
  18. EJ (USA)

The 3rd picture of Anderson asking that little girl a questions is very cute.

January 19, 2009 at 3:24 pm |
  19. EJ (USA)

Anderson is quite suave.

January 19, 2009 at 3:17 pm |
  20. JOYCE MARTELLO

Anderson: My intent is not to take anything away from today's happenings in the Capital. However, your comment about how extraordinary it is that people who do not know each other are talking to each other is a bit over the top. I attended both of Bill Clinton's Inaugurals , by myself and found the crowds very friendly and willing to chat. I think at events such as the Inaguration that just happens.

It is a glorious day and tomorrow will be better Thank you for your work. Joyce

January 19, 2009 at 3:09 pm |
  21. Lilibeth

Hi Anderson, that was nice that you took the time to talk with those people. Thank you for that.

Anderson, someone from my office wants to know the total cost of the inauguration and where the money is coming from. Can you or someone please investigate and report back tonight? She said she heard rumors that it will cost around $40 million (I thought it was more than that, like $100+ million). She told me that she wasn’t going to watch the inauguration because of this. She said that Obama could have had just a barbeque in his backyard or something (I don’t know if she’s kidding or not). I also wonder what the other viewers think of this. Thanks,

Lilibeth
    Edmonds, Washington

January 19, 2009 at 3:05 pm |
  22. Rhonda

Oh, Andy Coop. You do realize your lips were turning purple at one point yesterday, right?

January 19, 2009 at 2:59 pm |
  23. Ratna, New York, NY

Now that's more like it!

January 19, 2009 at 2:58 pm |
  24. Jennifer - Michigan

Great pictures! What a great time in history it is now. You can see the smiles on the crowd there. I bet you can almost feel all the anticipation going on there, man! History in the making, very exciting. We're all watching, thanks for all the great news coverage. Have a great day!

January 19, 2009 at 2:50 pm |
  25. Pati Mc

One of the things that I love best about Anderson Cooper is that he is a man of the people. The joy is written all over his face.

Thank you for sharing these awesome pictures.

January 19, 2009 at 2:45 pm |
  26. Cindy

Great pics!

I liked it best yesterday when Anderson talked to the children. He seems to brighten up and let down his guard more. He shows the lighter side of himself. He needs to do that more.

And for sure, Coop is a BlackBerry addict and would have DT's if he had to go without it for one full day! Hey..maybe you all ought to take it from him and make him dance to get it back...I bet we'd see Coop bust a move for sure! LOL

Cindy..Ga.

January 19, 2009 at 2:45 pm |
  27. Maria Polizzi

Finally a President regardless of race, color, or religion was chosen by the people for the people. Democracy is truly still alive in the USA!

January 19, 2009 at 2:42 pm |
  28. xtina, chicago IL

nice pictures, but who ARE these people?! Dont' these people have JOBS?! Im guessing a large percentage in these photos don't pay into the federal revenue system.

January 19, 2009 at 2:41 pm |