January 17th, 2009

On top of Pennsylvania Avenue: Photos from the CNN set

Anderson Cooper broadcasting live from the top of the Newseum on Pennsylvania Ave. in Washington, D.C.

Anderson and Wolf Blitzer speak to Soledad O'Brien, David Gergen and Roland Martin discuss the day's inauguration events.

A view of the Capitol from the top of the Newseum on Pennsylvania Avenue.

Wolf braves the cold on the CNN set in Washington on Saturday.

A view from the CNN set - behind the scenes.

Filed under: Behind The Scenes • Inauguration
  1. Michelle D. Fonthill,Ont

I love pictures of Anderson too ! The entire poitical team Wolf John and Soledad . The 360 team has delieverd again ! I hope Anderson isn't too cold and they bring that heater really close to them although AC deosn't need it any way -ha!

Thanks for the post !
    360 and Ac fan Michelle D.

January 19, 2009 at 10:38 am |
  2. Shani

Hello,
    I want to know why "we the public could not see today's events? So we the middle lower class are not good enough for HBO to let the entire america see the concerts? It makes we sick to that we are all about Change but forget the poor

January 18, 2009 at 5:47 pm |
  3. Reno

Anderson... Love your show.... love CNN.... I have three televisions in my living room.... my main TV is set to CNN... the other two I monitor FOXNEWS and MSNBC.... occasionally toggle between them on the main TV.... especially during commercials....

I started looking for the Newseum on google maps and google street view.... the satellite view nearly had me fooled... as it was taken several years ago and does not include the Newseum.... only a parking lot.... but I found you on Street View.... Beautiful Building.... I am planning a visit to D.C. for Obama's next inauguration in 2013.... I will visit this building then....
    Thanks from OKlahoma.... R

January 18, 2009 at 1:11 pm |
  4. Louise and Pete

WONDERFUL photos!!!!! Some of the best we've ever seen!!!!!

Love, Mom and Dad

January 18, 2009 at 1:00 pm |
  5. S. I.

I have yet to understand what having newscasters sitting in near frigid temparatures or standing in the face of a hurricane proves, just to tell a story!

Besides, such historic moments generally speak for themself.

January 18, 2009 at 8:43 am |
  6. Mariah

Why use a heater, when they have someone as cute as Anderson heating up the set? Anderson, you are truly a breathe of fresh air!

January 18, 2009 at 3:21 am |
  7. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I love picture of Anderson Cooper!!!! he is amazing anchor with Wolf Blizter! they are great team together! 🙂

January 18, 2009 at 3:06 am |
  8. Amanda Walton

Love these photos

January 17, 2009 at 9:58 pm |
  9. Marietta from Niagara Falls,NY

Anderson I think that I have the answer to a question that you had. Why the Obamas had to wait to move into the Blair House. Has Mr.Obama said there only one president at A time. Mr Bush is on A power trip like the pass eight years.

January 17, 2009 at 9:22 pm |
  10. L. Jones of Detroit

Beautiful picture of the capitol. Why you all decided to cover from outside is beyond me. It will be cold enough in Washington on Tuesday.

January 17, 2009 at 8:49 pm |
  11. Tommy A

Anderson, I've been bouncing betweem CNN, MSNBC & FOX, when I want an honest view, I focus on CNN. I also watch MSNBC because they're liberal. However, while watching all 3 networks on the Obama coverage today, at this historical moment, while watching the FOX news, I can notice some conservative contributors are trans forming but the FOX host will constantly try to inject a negative view of Obama's historical journry. I immediately switch back to CNN to get the honest coverage. Thanks to you, Wolk, Solidad, Roland, Dave and Donna for your great coverage. Keep up the good work and God Bless America.

January 17, 2009 at 8:07 pm |
  12. rholder

I dont understand why you guys were out in the brutal cold..I think most of us would have been ok watching and listening to you in a warm studio...seemed strange

January 17, 2009 at 7:58 pm |
  13. Maryse Jean-Pierre

Good evening,

How are you doing in that very cold day. I am very gratefull to have you guys out there cover everything and show it for viewers like me to see, however, David Gergen should not be staying the whole day. If I am not mistaken he is the oldest sitting among you. He could get sick. I would like to see him every day making all great comments he is always do. I don't want any of you to be sick. So, enough already, all of you when you get out from the cold get a good cup of hot camomille tea and keep yourself warm in order not to catch pneumonia. You have done an incredible work since or even before the election day now get a break for today. Thank you so much for all the work that the whole team is doing. sorry if I spell the name wrong.

Bye now! take good care of yourself.

Sincerely,
    Maryse

January 17, 2009 at 7:25 pm |
  14. Martina Ilstad Germany

Hey Anderson and Wolf
    You Cnn DREAM Team Thank you!!Hope its not so cold!

January 17, 2009 at 7:20 pm |
  15. EJ (USA)

I love looking at pictures of Anderson.

January 17, 2009 at 7:03 pm |
  16. Bill Graham

I don't understand why you feel the need to sit out in the cold all day long. Couldn't you do your job just as well if you were in a glass enclosure with some heat? "Only mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the noonday sun." "Only CNN news anchors sit in the bone-chilling temperatures all day long!"

January 17, 2009 at 6:59 pm |
  17. Jeanette

Great jobs....but Wolf and Anderson, PUT SOME HATS ON!!! By the way, please help us find the Candy Crowley blog. Weve been searching and cant find it!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks, from your friends in the Town of Round Mountain, Texas...population 308. Give us a shout out!!!!!! We love CNN!!!!!!!

January 17, 2009 at 6:18 pm |
  18. ladykeith

Aloha, mahalo for your wonderful coverage. Stay as warm.

January 17, 2009 at 6:00 pm |
  19. Isabel

Mr. Cooper,
    Again a great job!
    Since the beginning of the year I 'discovered' the AC360 and I'm delighted with the blog and with your work.
    Congratulations!

I wish a nice week and that your work was very satisfying at this time so special.

Isabel, RJ, Brazil

January 17, 2009 at 5:58 pm |
  20. roxanne

love the coverage. is everyone wearing purple to be bipartisan? (combo of red & blue)

January 17, 2009 at 5:54 pm |
  21. Michelle Fischer- Lafayette IN

Great Pictures!

Really liked the 1st photo of Anderson. A great group of CNN Journalists doing what they love! Thanks for the inside peek behind the scenes!
    LOVED IT!

360 Fan,

Michelle (-:

January 17, 2009 at 5:37 pm |
  22. Dr. Michael Rainer

Anderson been watching you and Wolf and the gang all day was motified to hear if you have a inagural ticket and parade ticket you must decide between the two. I happen to have both. I do not want to sell the parade ticket it was $25. In fact if I can't make it to both I would prefer to donate the ticket to the parade to someone. Please if you get this e-mail before Tuesday contact me. I am driving to Maryland and taking the train in on Monday to pick up my inagural tickets from the senator's office.

January 17, 2009 at 5:37 pm |
  23. Marc

I think you guys have probably run out of things to talk about since you're now admiring the appearance of the port-a-potties.

January 17, 2009 at 5:26 pm |
  24. Sam, Eugene, Oregon

Been watching you guys all day. You guys are doing a great job. Thank you!

January 17, 2009 at 5:13 pm |
  25. Jeff Gammons

Question: Do they have any type of space heaters up there on the roof? Anything to help keep them warm? Great coverage and conversation this afternoon, with all the cold weather sniffles. LOL

January 17, 2009 at 5:06 pm |
  26. Nilsa

beautiful. I am glad to be alive to see this. god bless our new president

January 17, 2009 at 4:50 pm |
  27. Pati Mc

Hey Anderson, are you gonna temporarily lose your rule of not drinking "hot things"? Methinks perhaps you should. Or at least have some nice warm soup. You guys look so cold! Aw!

My friend from Paris and I are IMing so that she can share in the coverage (they do not have it on CNN/I at the moment). She just taught me the word for "blankie" in French it is..."doudou". What you need, my friend is your blue "doudou" that you had in Israel. Hope you packed it!

Be well gang!

January 17, 2009 at 4:45 pm |
  28. Dulcie - Denver

I need to go to the store but I'm glued to you're coverage.
    Stay warm!

January 17, 2009 at 4:21 pm |
  29. Claire

The shot right now is at Baltimore's War Memorial Building, not City Hall as CNN keeps reporting! Please correct – they are not at City Hall!

January 17, 2009 at 4:03 pm |
  30. Clarence Albuquerque

Hope your view is clear.

January 17, 2009 at 4:01 pm |
  31. uche

Anderson! Why no hat? Everyone else has a hat, and Wolf has his beard to keep him warm. It's to cold to try and be cute.

January 17, 2009 at 3:58 pm |
  32. Kojenwa...Boston and sometimes New York

And please get everyone a round of Barbados Mount Gay Rum. No but seroiusly, the convo is really good too.

January 17, 2009 at 3:56 pm |
  33. Jennifer

Anderson should get Hunk of the Month award 😉

January 17, 2009 at 3:53 pm |
  34. Jeff Gammons

I have been watching your coverage all afternoon. As usual, CNN coverage has been outstanding. I do feel bad for the crew on the roof in those cold winds. It’s 70F here in South Florida. Great photos!

January 17, 2009 at 3:53 pm |
  35. Betty H

What is the point of you all sitting outside freezing to death? Nothing is happening. Go inside and wait until Tuesday to go out there.

January 17, 2009 at 3:52 pm |
  36. Mohammad Adeel

Anderson and Wolf,

You guys are doing an amazing job. Please wear a hat, because its really cold. Me and my family are worried about you guys getting sick because of the cold.

Best
    Mohammad

January 17, 2009 at 3:51 pm |
  37. Cindy

Nice pics!! Hope you all stay warm up there! I think you all are crazy but...hey..anything for a shot huh!? LOL

Cindy..Ga.