January 17th, 2009

Live from the set of the Newseum – it's cold!

Program Note: Tune in to CNN where we'll be broadcasting live all weekend and Monday and Tuesday.

Kay Jones
AC360° Coordinating Editorial Producer

It’s cold here. There’s not any other way to describe DC right now. Any walking around the area must be accompanied by heavy outerwear, and trust me, even that isn’t enough. For the 360 faithful, it’s not as bad as New Year’s Eve in Times Square, but it’s pretty close.

If you are watching our air today, you’ll see Anderson, Wolf, Soledad, David Gergen, John King & Roland Martin on the set. The area they are sitting is covered, but it’s open. They are bundled up and during commercial breaks, they head to the closest heaters to try and get some warmth. The crew, however, is covered from head to toe, and I don’t even know who is behind the camera because I can only see their eyes through their hats, scarves, etc. Even though I haven’t heard any complaints, I can see on their faces that this isn’t the most pleasant experience ever.

The weather looks to be getting a little warmer as the weekend goes on, and we roll into Tuesday’s Inauguration. But it’ll still be cold.

_________________________________
UPDATE 4:18 p.m.
Scrolling through the reader comments, I thought I’d address some things that have come up:

It is true that Anderson & Wolf are not wearing hats, but there are heaters out there near the set, and even as close to the set as we can possibly get them. So although it’s still not the type of environment anyone really wants to be in for hours on end, there is a little relief with those heaters. We continue to bring coffee, hot cocoa, etc to the set. As you know, Anderson doesn’t drink hot liquids (as he’s talked about on his numerous appearances on Live with Regis & Kelly), so he’s kind of left in the cold, literally.

The workspace area, where most of the producers are stationed as well as where the restrooms are, is 2 floors down. The only access to the roof is via stairs, so anytime anyone needs to go up and down from the set, you are doing a lot of walking. I plan on firming up my calves and glutes during the next 4 days. It also helps, oddly enough, with warming us up a little.

We’ll be on air until 7pm tonight so be sure to stay tuned in!

More updates to come from the Newseum, where CNN is broadcasting live all weekend and Monday & Tuesday.

Filed under: AC360° Staff • Behind The Scenes • Inauguration • Kay Jones
  1. Cathy Bowman

My 5 year old son Kyle is in DC from Arizona making little news videos of everything he sees as the kindergarten news reporter. They will be shown at schools to teach little kids about the inauguration. He could not believe that he was 'broadcasting' from the same mall as Anderson. He watches Anderson to learn how to do the news. Last night he found the ducks walking on the frozen water in front of the capitol! He reported that with full eyed 5 year old wonder!! Today he will be reporting his service projects, cleaning at eastern market metro park and packing boxes for soldiers at the baseball field.Seeing this through the eyes of a child is truly amazing!! If you are is out there taping say hi.

January 19, 2009 at 7:17 am |
  2. Ruthe Longmore

I want to pass this on to as many supporters as possible Bells for Obama, Let Freedom Ring. Bells to ring out around the world especially America. As soon as Pres-Elect Obama is sworn in and becomes President Barack Obama and Hail To the Chief is played we open our doors or windows and ring a bell.
    This is a easy way for those of us that can not be there in person to participate. I would like you to announce this on your radio program. blog or email. Let freedom ring. For President Obama.
    Bloggers also pass this on.
    Thanks so much.
    Ruthe Longmore

January 19, 2009 at 12:01 am |
  3. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Anderson,
    You were so great job at Inauguration's Day!!!! I hope he will drink hot chocolate or else........ or need warm coat!

January 18, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  4. Lynda Skow

Why aren't you covering this incredible concert??? We don't want to just hear you describe it for hours...we thought we were going to see it televised or at least on a web telecast. I called everybody I know to tune in to CNN because you were commenting on when it was about to start etc. The next thing I know, Wolfe says Bruce is playing now and there is a 2 second shot of Bruce on stage. What is up with that?
    Can't believe it...and in the past couple hours, nothing is said about why this is not televised. Are you prohibited from covering this?

January 18, 2009 at 3:03 pm |
  5. Sheila

Did Roland Martin lend his hat to David Gergen when he left the set? Poor Mr. Gergen, he clearly caught a cold while he was out there!

January 18, 2009 at 11:39 am |
  6. Michelle D. Fonthill,Ont

Anderson please stay warm ! Why doens't he wear a hat ? I hope you get really close to the heater but he's hot enough right?

Michelle D.

January 18, 2009 at 11:29 am |
  7. M.Sam Douglas

I noticed all day all of you had a purple tie or something purple even The New First Lady and the Vice-President's wife were wearing purple. What is the significance to the purple. D.L. Hughley had on a serious purple tie and shirt, please tell me what is up with my favorite color.

January 18, 2009 at 1:28 am |
  8. Annie Kate

I hope it warms up for all of you. Especially for "no hot drinks" Cooper – he looks so cold I get cold just watching him. Too bad they don't make parkas that look like suits.....and with a hood for when you aren't on camera. Try to stay warm!!

January 18, 2009 at 12:56 am |
  9. Carol Londres

To the Best Political Team CNN = Politics.

More than a few in Canada love David's hat!! Donna's is so 1800's. Someone should have designed the hats for the rest of you.
    It is cold!!! You should have hats.
    I taped the whole day and now watching what I had to be away for. Arrival in Washington at train station very emotional. What a gent he is and his first lady – and the Bindens are super!! This is going to be a great 3 more days!!
    Love the coverage. Excellent as always.
    Long-time fan.

January 18, 2009 at 12:10 am |
  10. Steve Rapposelli

I was lucky enough today to be told that I was seen on CNN next to President -Elect Obama while he was in Wilmington. As my friends were calling me, I turned to my wife excitedly to tell her. She responded, "My, that David Gergen sure looks good in that hat!"
    Should I be worried?
    Is he getting this a lot, and is it beginning to bother Anderson? Wolf?

January 17, 2009 at 11:38 pm |
  11. KIm

Why don't they find an outside heater at Lowe's ?

January 17, 2009 at 11:03 pm |
  12. Al Blackburn

I watched your group all day today and feel I know you all. Thanks for covering the train ride and being so complimentary to Obama and his family. I think they are an ideal family for our nation to look to. You are all so informative. David, Wolf, Anderson, Roland, John, Donna and ?
    I appreciate each of you telling what you know. I lived through the last depression and my dad lost his job as an electrician with 5 children to raise. But we had a garden and a cow. As David mentioned, FDR brought the CCC in which helped so much. Obama has a big job. My dad always said, "The Republicans are for the rich people". Our God has brought us a worker who is concerned for we who are in the lower bracket. Keep up your good work. Thank you CNN.

January 17, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  13. Amanda Walton

Mr. Anderson Cooper,

No hot liquids? Guess this because you're warm enough...:)

Stay Warm Stay Safe

January 17, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  14. MI

Why are they taping on an open set? I hope they have padding to protect their backs.

January 17, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  15. Monica

By the way, thank you to the "Best Political Team on TV" for being in this bitter cold for sooo long to deliver us the best coverage!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hats off to all of you ;)!!!

January 17, 2009 at 9:37 pm |
  16. Monica

Wow! I had been watching the Obama Express coverage throughout the day (on CNN, of course ;)) I had to go to New Carrollton, MD to pick up someone from the train station-oh no,I was going to miss the live coverage! I get to the train station in what felt like zero degrees and her train was delayed... Just when I was about to get upset, I see 8 cops and one says..."sorry u can't go upstairs because of security...the Obama Express will be here in five minutes.. u will get very close if you go over there." Right away, nothing else mattered... zero degrees felt like a beautiful sunny day sipping a refreshing drink w/an umbrella. Waiting anxiously with the crowd was euphoric-words cannot explain it.The train slowly went by...didn't stop....but it felt as if I had just met the President of the United States. As the train went by in slow motion with the flag on the back, I was overwhelmed with a feeling of "Hope" and "Change”.

PS How do I get in touch with someone so I can give them an inauguration piece that will be a hit!

January 17, 2009 at 9:36 pm |
  17. Anita

Question:

I know the President – elect stays at Blair House until the inaguration, where does the Vice President – elect stay?

Thanks.

January 17, 2009 at 7:34 pm |
  18. Ratna, New York, NY

Hi Kay,

This is the coldest winter I have experienced in life. And I work outdoors with dogs. Luckily, I love hot-drinks.

Well good luck with making history in DC!

Regards

January 17, 2009 at 7:13 pm |
  19. Edwin Luna

I can't believe you guys were out there All Day, I was wondering how you stayed warm. You must of had some kind of butt warmers or hand warmers or something : )
    Nice Job, I was impressed, I don't impress easily : )

January 17, 2009 at 7:04 pm |
  20. Beverlyn

KUDOS to Wolf, Anderson, Soledad (whom I've missed and am glad to see back), David, Donna, and Ron for a terrific day. I have watched you guys all day from start to finish and it's been GREAT. Candy did a great job on the train and Joe was fantastic on the ground. I am looking forward to the rest of the inaugural coverage. You all are truly the BEST POLITICAL (and otherwise) TEAM on TV. Thanks for good TV. I LUV CNN 🙂

January 17, 2009 at 7:00 pm |
  21. Martina Ilstad Germany

"Hi get the whole wold in his hand,he gets the whole wild wold in his hand,he get the whole wild wold in his hand" I have so many trust in this man B.Obame to do a good job for America and the whole wold.to make the wold a better pleace for all of us.God save him and his familie.

January 17, 2009 at 6:59 pm |
  22. Ann-Marie

Anderson and Team,

Thank you for being out there, in that terrible cold, to bring us the latest developments on the train trip from Philly to DC, and for sharing your opinions and knowledge with us. I am from Romania and have been an American citizen for almost 20 years; I did not think that I would live long enough to see this, but I must say that after witnessing first-hand the collapse of the Communist regime in Bucharest, Romania (Dec 1989), this the other most significant moment to illustrate what really happens when the people stand up for what they believe in, and are ready to effect change through their voices and actions. I am proud to be a Romanian-American, and even prouder of both of my peoples for the strength of their convictions.

January 17, 2009 at 6:38 pm |
  23. Alys

Anderson- please get a winter hat on and a better winter coat! I feel colder just looking at you freezing that much.

January 17, 2009 at 6:33 pm |
  24. Celeste

Love the coverage but poor David Gergen has gone from no hat to hat to a blanket on his legs. Brrrrr!!! you all deserve steaming cups of cocoa (while on air) something a little stronger for after!! Love you guys

January 17, 2009 at 6:30 pm |
  25. Judy

You guys are doing a great job! I think that Soledad's comments are right on point. I know you are colder than you can ever imagine being, but thank you for what you are doing.
    Judy

January 17, 2009 at 6:30 pm |
  26. Carolyn

Thank you all for the coverage today.
    I have been paralized by CNN and could not leave in fear I would miss something. (smile) Thank you for allow me to be a part of your day.

I have to tell you as the sun was going down your back drop was so breath taking.

Looking forward to more coverage.
    Keep warm.

Tell Soladad (sp)? here hat is cute!

January 17, 2009 at 6:19 pm |
  27. ann

Anderson,
    Will you please ask soledad where she bought her hat. I am having a procedure on Monday and would like to get one like hers. Thank you so much, Ann

January 17, 2009 at 5:58 pm |
  28. Peggy

Just don't understand the purpose of you guys being outside today. Your commentary is stellar, but you could have done that inside. Tuesday will be a day it makes sense to be outside. This is the most exciting time in my life since the election of John Kennedy when I was in college. Thank you for your hard work, but stay safe and warm.

January 17, 2009 at 4:38 pm |
  29. Clarence Albuquerque

Glad I caught this event today...I got the chills... not because of the cold

January 17, 2009 at 4:37 pm |
  30. Josie

Well Soledad your hat has to go. I don't understand those two buttons ..you at least have a hat, unlike Wolfy and Andie. Why do
    you have to report from outside? It is making me cold watching you
    guys. Please come in for a littlet bit. Great job and keep warm!!!

January 17, 2009 at 4:34 pm |
  31. Dwight

Why are you guys still outside? Is this a dry run for Tuesday?
    Keep up the good work.........

January 17, 2009 at 4:16 pm |
  32. Tim...

Anderson,
    Maryland was not a "slave stae" as you stated. Maryland was part of the confederacy, but it was a "free state."

January 17, 2009 at 4:10 pm |
  33. Fotini Vourlekis

Anderson,Maryland was not a slave state.There were some slaves in
    Maryland,given the state borders the South, but Maryland entered the Union as a free state.
    Please correct.

January 17, 2009 at 4:05 pm |
  34. Curt Rice

You guy are talking about the new first lady.
    Remember, behind every great man stands a greater woman.

January 17, 2009 at 4:04 pm |
  35. Amanda

I remember when I went to the Newseum a few months ago.
    I love it there. 😀

January 17, 2009 at 3:46 pm |
  36. Anne

Wolf and Anderson,
    Where are your hats! My mother, age 91, and I are watching the events. We drove in from Gainesville this morning to see all of the preparations but it was much too cold for her to be out. She really want to be at the concert tomorrow and the celebrations on Tuesday but decided that due to crowds and weather we, especially she, would be safer and more comfortable watching on CNN.

Her message to you both is: Your coverage is great but you need a hat to help keep you from getting a cold - don't worry about style just try to keep warm and get your head covered.

January 17, 2009 at 3:39 pm |
  37. curt rice

Your team is doing a top shelf job.
    The theam your group is working on and talking about is exactly the direction our nation wants to take.
    We are a nation of communities that make us strong.
    Yes, we are putting to much pressure on one man. But as communities that support our President, we can make our dreams a reality.

January 17, 2009 at 3:28 pm |
  38. Carol Trezise

The comments just made by Soledad on your telecast totally not interesting and sort of out of line for today...I really couldn't understand her point and today, a historic day, is not the day to rehash the public school system or who can succeed in this country and who can't.....tell her to talk about something else – she sounds like someone with a "chip' on her shoulder...no kidding that Obama can't change everthing wrong in this country...but he's an incredible example of what's RIGHT about this country and why we have SCHOLARSHIPS and should...guess where Harvard and Columbia gets those funds to create those scholarships- through people giving to help others get a chance at that education.

Also, I missed Obama's speece in Philly this morning...can you show some of it while we're waiting for him to arrive in DC?

Wolf, Anderson, David, (especially) and Roland are all great- rused home from work this afternoon just to watch it ALL!!!

Carol

January 17, 2009 at 3:26 pm |
  39. Lou

This is a great time in our nations history, but I believe we should accurately report this event and start calling Obama the first bi-racial president. We are so concerned about being politically correct about so many other issues, but not the race of our president. This country is a melting pot of races and we are dishonoring the many bi-racial citizens in this country by not acknowledging Obama for who he is.

January 17, 2009 at 3:19 pm |
  40. Larry

Props to the camerapeople!!

January 17, 2009 at 3:19 pm |
  41. Dorothy Holcomb

Watching your coverage today and listened to significant events relative to the timing of this inauguration and I wanted to share another. This is truly a historical moment, a proud moment, and an emotional moment for so many. I am a 59 year old African American and 2009 is a siginificant year for me and so many others like me because 50 years ago I was deprived of my right to a public education. The public schools in Prince Edward County, VA were closed to oppose integration. As a result, innocent children were denied a public education for five long years. So many of us who were victimized by this tragedy got a chance in November to vote for something that 50 years ago seemed impossible. We have come a long way as a Country and I pray for better days ahead.

January 17, 2009 at 3:15 pm |
  42. Lorraine Phillip

I am located in the Eastern Caribbean; St. Kitts 68 Square miles and I am grateful for the coverage that CNN has been proving for the Whistle Stop. I have been glued to my television for every slow role and stop so far and it bring tears of Joy to see the way the people welcome him. I wish I was there to be a part of it but thankful to CNN make me feel like I am a part.

January 17, 2009 at 3:11 pm |
  43. Sarajane Sacks

According to my father Julien, the oracle of all things train, the car President-elect Obama and Vice president-elect Biden are riding is known as a business car with an observation platform. Sometime the cars incorporate a club, dining and sleeping accommodations.
    The tunnels leading into and out of Baltimore were built after the Civil War by the PBW (Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington line).

Dad grew up in Baltimore and this is a real treat for him to view the festivities on television.

January 17, 2009 at 3:10 pm |
  44. Melissa

Hi Anderson,
    Just wanted to clarify in Baltimore, Obama will speak on the steps of the War Memorial Building. The War Memorial is across the plaza or street from our City Hall. Thanks! Great coverage!

January 17, 2009 at 3:09 pm |
  45. Marvetta

Anderson and Wolf , why are you two not wearing hats? It's cold and as much as I enjoy watching CNN, "you got take care of yourselves". Dress for the cold like the others (ex. Roland, David, and my girl) are doing. Keep it real! We are watching you, and hate Iwe could not be there but my niece Tiffney Newbern is representing us hear in Michigan and Chicago.

January 17, 2009 at 3:03 pm |
  46. Christopher Meyer

Are you guys using any heaters on air?

January 17, 2009 at 2:57 pm |
  47. Gail King

I just want to know, why you guys and gal are outside right now, as oppose to indoors during the broadcast?

January 17, 2009 at 2:52 pm |
  48. Rita

AC: Regarding the Obama presidential party "riding in the caboose" comment: A caboose is the rear car of a freight train for the crew's usage (according to Oxford American Dictionary). Maybe this means that a passenger train does not have a caboose.

Appreciate your coverage. Keep up the good work!

RitaB

January 17, 2009 at 2:35 pm |
  49. Robert W.

I've been watching this amazing event only on CNN today, and I have a question.

When does President Bush "physically" moves out of the White House?

Oh, you think you're cold – trying living in Vermont – it was -4 this morning! Keep warm!

Robert

January 17, 2009 at 2:31 pm |
  50. Carole

Anderson,

I can't tell you how much I appreciate today's coverage. Thankfully, I will be working on Tuesday and will time my lunch to watch an hour of the inauguration.

I hope you will re-run the entire coverage at a later time.

January 17, 2009 at 2:30 pm |