January 7th, 2009

Eat your heart out, Dr. Phil

Former U.S. surgeon general C. Everett Koop and CNN's Dr. Sanjay Gupta.

Former U.S. surgeon general C. Everett Koop and CNN's Dr. Sanjay Gupta.

Jack Gray
AC360º Associate Producer

So, I’ve been practicing my salute in case I run into Dr. Sanjay Gupta in the hall today. Granted, I’m used to saluting Anderson whenever I ask for a day off from taking Esther, his Orangutan, to tap dancing class but this is different. I can’t believe the next time I want Sanjay to check out a suspicious mole on my arm I’m going to have to go through Rahm Emanuel.

Without a doubt, Dr. Gupta will be an outstanding Surgeon General (assuming he accepts the post). He’s a brilliant neurosurgeon, he has government experience from his time working as a fellow in the Clinton White House and, as CNN viewers know, he’s an enormously gifted communicator. And, yes, Sanjay was once named one of People magazine’s “Sexiest Men Alive.” Just like C. Everett Koop.

The Sanjay news, of course, is only one item on a big list of headlines for the Obama camp this week. Among the others: Leon Panetta is going to be Director of the CIA. I know there’s some concern about him not having enough of an intelligence background but I think that’s unfair. After all, he owns The Bourne Supremacy on DVD and was once in line behind Tom Clancy at Wendy’s.

Then there’s my new favorite soap opera: As the World Turns and Roland Burris Holds Another News Conference. Burris has now upped his demands to 10 senate seats and Kelly Clarkson tickets. The poor guy – stuck out in the rain, trying to convince people he belongs there. It’s like me at Ali Velshi’s book party all over again.

Don’t forget about the big gathering at the White House today. President Bush is hosting President-elect Obama, former President Clinton, former President Bush and former President Carter. They’re scheduled to discuss the economy, foreign policy and whether Paula Abdul and that new lady judge on American Idol are already in a feud.

And for those of you who have asked, yes, just come to AC360.com on Sunday night at 8pm Eastern Time for my live blog of the Golden Globes – the annual gala where Hollywood stars come together, drink too much and say no, as a matter of fact it is NOT an honor just to be nominated.

And now if you’ll excuse me, I’m off to buy a pack of cigarettes so I can have Sanjay autograph the Surgeon General’s Warning. Because it’s never too early to be thinking about next Christmas.

Post by:
Filed under: 360° Radar • Dr. Sanjay Gupta • Jack Gray • Raw Politics
  1. Roweena D'Souza, Mangalore

Hey Jack, have you made your New Year's resolution yet?. I can feel you getting more wittier (if every there was such a word!) post after post! and of course, Sanjay Gupta for Surgeon General is a huge honor for CNN and partly for India too!

Since I was unsuccessful on the Jack Gray on twitter, I will not start the Jack Gray to write a book campaign 😛

January 7, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  2. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Hellooo Jack!!!!
    That is so funny!!! I love this blog joke made me laugh!!!!! I agree with your comment!!!!! That is so awesome for your picture!!!! Any way, I like to say to Dr. Gupta congrats!!! he will great job next General Surgeon!!! That's great news for me to hear Sanjay Gupta!! Whooohoo! LOL!!! it is so awesome for him. I heard Larry King Live that Sanjay will be next General Surgeon!!!! And Welcome back home Anderson!!!! I had blast time see him from Israel!!! I love your comment joke!!! see you later!

January 7, 2009 at 9:59 pm |
  3. Julie San Diego, CA

Congratulations Sanjay. You'll do a great job.

I'm looking forward to intelligent discussions on stem cells, birth control (especially with respect to teens), and the dangers of smoking (sorry Jack).

It's time reason trumped political ideology in the office of the Surgeon General.

January 7, 2009 at 9:04 pm |
  4. EJ (USA)

Jack, do you have a bio? If so, please provide the link.

January 7, 2009 at 8:56 pm |
  5. Hannah Marner

Presley, either I'm getting old also (I'm in my mid-twenties, though, so I doubt that's the case!), or I'm just weird, since I have to agree with you about Rahm Emanuel. Glad to know I have company!

January 7, 2009 at 8:28 pm |
  6. Don, WA

I wanted to be a surgeon once, but I looked terrible in surgeon blue, so I gave it up. But I give Dr. Sanjay Gupta as surgeon general – 5 stars!

January 7, 2009 at 8:23 pm |
  7. Rosemarie

This is for Dr. Gupta. Congrats. on your new position with President Elect Obama for Surgeon General. I feel strongly about his slection. We've watched you as part of the CNN family for years. As a member of the medical team i see all your great professional qualities. No one knows better the Health Care Challenges we face globally. All the best Dr Sanjay Gupta.
    Love Rosemarie

January 7, 2009 at 7:39 pm |
  8. Jacqueline, NY

Jack,

You, Erica and everyone else here are like totally crazy, mad funny! LOL!

The Dr. goes presidential on us. KUDOS, Dr. Gupta! Yes, go save the nation, Doc! Who better? You're tops. I love it! I felt so proud when I read the news this morning... But wait! Does this mean the 'general' public no longer has access to his genius and the 'one-on-one touch' response to our questions via email? 😦

The thing about Burris... Let the man in already. Deal with that matter later after the changing of the guards. Call me a conspiracy theorists if you want, but the new-old war in Gaza, the Gov. Blagojevich thing, etc., all of this stuff going on right now is by design caused to distract the in-coming power from succeeding at their jobs. It is the GOP's MO.

Have fun blogging during the awards. I gave award ceremonies years ago - except the Tony's on occasion.

January 7, 2009 at 7:24 pm |
  9. Tracey - Boston

Jack,

Tell Sanjay Congrats on being nominated for the Golden Globes...eh ..I mean for U.S. surgeon general..

🙂

January 7, 2009 at 7:16 pm |
  10. Brandi - bottom of the boot

love that erica and jack are going back and forth on here! lol

oh, and jack, i would pay to see you salute either sanjay or anderson! can i watch? please, please, please?????? 😀

January 7, 2009 at 5:44 pm |
  11. ky

OK, thanks Jack. Saturday night it is.

Is this worth canceling my date with George Clooney for?

January 7, 2009 at 5:36 pm |