December 29th, 2008

AC360° gets ready to ring in the New Year

Kay Jones
AC360° Coordinating Editorial Producer

It’s that time of year again, and some of us have been furiously working over the past couple of months on the New Year’s Eve show.. As I’m sure you’ve read in Jack Gray’s posts, this year we are bringing back our favorite red head to help co-host. Also, the show is back to being 2 hours, airing from 11pm until 1am East Coast time, with a replay for those of you on the West Coast who want to toast in the New Year with Anderson and Kathy.

We’ll have reporters all over the world contribute, as well as our own Erica Hill and Richard Quest in Times Square, Gary Tuchman on the Central Park run, and Brooke Anderson coming to us from Club CNN at Lavo in the Palazzo in Las Vegas. I’m still in the process of finalizing our musical acts, but here’s a hint. One of them will take us all on a “Fantastic Voyage”. More to come, but as in years past, I promise to try and bring in a little something for everyone.

We also want to know about your plans. What do you do that is unique on the New Year? Do you have great photos or videos? Be sure to go to the IReport section of CNN.com on New Year’s Eve and upload your favorite moments. You may see Anderson and Kathy talk about your submission during the show. Points for snarky remarks from our hosts.

2008 has been such an up and down year. We’ve had a historic election, a recession and many other things happen in between. It’s time to look forward, and hope that 2009 brings better times for all of us.

See you on 360 tonight, and be sure to set a reminder for 11pm ET/PT on CNN for New Year’s Eve, with Anderson Cooper and Kathy Griffin

Filed under: Kay Jones • New Year's Eve 2008
  1. Dorothy

I'll be watching. I think Anderson and Kathy play well off of each other. Come on in 2009!!!!

December 29, 2008 at 9:56 pm |
  2. Megan Dresslar- Shoreline, Wa

I am staying home in Shoreline to watch Anderson and Kathy on CNN tv 3 hours ahead...... She is best comedian in the world.
    I am so excitng to watch Anderson and Kathy will have fun Happy New Year Eve party! I am so ready for that! I am so huge fan of Kathy Griffin, she made me laugh…. she have a sense of humor, I love her pick on Anderson
    (she is just teasing him) so good! I will watch them on Wednesday night on (HNYE) on CNN TV! I hope that you share with the viewers and including me! I can’t wait new year 2009!!!!! Whooo Hoooo!!!!

December 29, 2008 at 9:00 pm |
  3. Leslie

I, too, will not be watching CNN on New Year's Eve (actually New Year's Day as I am 14 hours ahead of NY here in Japan)....cannot stand Kathy Griffin...there are so many other wonderful performers...why her?

December 29, 2008 at 8:20 pm |
  4. Brandi - bottom of the boot

man,some harsh people on here about kathy g. she is hilarious, stop hating! besides, only kelly ripa can come anywhere near kathy when it comes to making anderson squirm. too bad i will only get to see clips.

December 29, 2008 at 8:16 pm |
  5. Mary V., Salt Lake City, UT

Will not watch CNN on New Year's, even if I had time to watch. Kathy Griffin, is totally ridiculous...... what is CNN thinking?

December 29, 2008 at 8:09 pm |
  6. lois in NY

Will not watch CNN New Year Eve, cannot stand Kathy Griffin; You are known by the company you keep AC.

December 29, 2008 at 7:46 pm |
  7. Chris, San Diego

What, no DL Hughley? How come you have a comedian working for CNN then go out & hire another one for the show? He's so funny, would be great to see him out there with AC, Erica & the rest of the CNNer's.

December 29, 2008 at 7:46 pm |
  8. biketwit

We're looking forward to this show again! I plan on having a better year now after the election...Kathy keeps everybody laughing with her attitude, so cheers to her and Anderson.

December 29, 2008 at 7:41 pm |
  9. Emma

Looking forward to it!

December 29, 2008 at 6:58 pm |
  10. Michelle D. Fonthill,Ont

The New Years Eve special is great again teaming Anderson and Kathy to tickle our funny bones. I know Kathy can be over the top and hopefully she won't embarass Anderson too much this year i. I 'd vote for either Erica Hill to be AC's sidekick if Kathy wasn't there again this year . It's all in good fun
    Happy new year to everyone at 360 and all the bloggers !

December 29, 2008 at 6:27 pm |
  11. ana

Maybe David Gergen can pair up next year's countdown with Anderson and that would be a blast! Happy New Year!

December 29, 2008 at 5:44 pm |
  12. Annie Kate

So Richard Quest is going to come over to this side of the pond for New Years? I always enjoy his appearances on CNN. He seems so ..... eccentric, I suppose. Here's hoping that 2009 is lots better economically than 2008 has been.

December 29, 2008 at 5:08 pm |
  13. Daniel James, Chicago, A concerned viewer

This will be the first night this year that I will not be watching AC360. One reason is I will be out celebrating with friends and family. The second reason is the annoying and boring Kathy Griffin.

Anderson Cooper, couldn't you find a better entertainer on New Year's Eve? I would have taken someone from the top of the list rather than from the bottom of the list.

I hope 2009 is a better year than 2008, however, if the national debt keeps increasing, spending increases, foreclosures increasing, and printing money out of thin air continues, I do not see an upside to this downhill slide.

December 29, 2008 at 4:44 pm |
  14. Sarah, Canterbury - UK

Look forward to watching the New Years celebration both at home in the UK and five hours later in New York.

I do have to say that Kathy Griffin is really annoying and her remarks and behaviour last year were embarrassing to watch. Lets hope you can find a more entertaining co-host for 2009.

December 29, 2008 at 4:16 pm |
  15. Joanne, Solvay, NY

We basically eat shrimp and drink Bailey's.

December 29, 2008 at 1:46 pm |
  16. Katie

Anderson, I just LOVE that you are a Kathy Griffin fan...I love you even more now!!! She is a bit crude...but the fact that you invited her back...oh, I just want to hug you!!! MWAH from Katie in Boca Raton, FL (formerly a Jersey girl:)

December 29, 2008 at 1:19 pm |
  17. Charlotte D, Stockton CA

My daughter will be in the crowd somewhere in Time Square so I will be looking for her like a needle in a hay stack. I don't care for Kathy Griffith and think AC 360 could do a lot better sticking with Erica, Richard and Gary to help carry the show. (Jon Stewart or Stephen Colbert would of course be outstanding "gets" for co-hosts.)

I will be in Napa w/o my DVR, so my friends and I will probably wait and tune in close to midnight. I like the way AC says Happy New Year and then goes to silence and lets the sounds of celebration from the crowd take over. No unnecessary commentary like, listen to the crowd–they sure are having a great time–duh. Just the sounds and the sights of the crowd.

Happy New Year to all and January 20th can't come soon enough for me.

December 29, 2008 at 12:20 pm |
  18. Heather,ca

I really really enjoyed it last year. My husbands birthday is New Years Eve and he really loved the text message on the crawl I sent for his birthday. Of course it goes without saying Kathy is the greatest and we are so happy to know she will be making us laugh. No program could possibly compare to yours on New Years Eve. Thank You.

December 29, 2008 at 11:45 am |