AC360 Monday 8p

There are growing questions about the ferry crew's actions. The latest on the South Korean ferry disaster live on AC360.
December 26th, 2008

RNC chair candidate sends out controversial Obama song

A candidate for Republican National Committee chairman said Friday it was clear the content of a CD he sent committee members for Christmas — that included lyrics from a song called “Barack the Magic Negro” — was intended as a joke.

“I think most people recognize political satire when they see it,” Chip Saltsman told CNN. “I think RNC members understand that.” Saltsman, a former chair of the Tennessee Republican Party, was a top advisor to former Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist, and managed former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee’s presidential campaign.

The song, set to the tune of “Puff the Magic Dragon,” was first played on Rush Limbaugh’s radio show in 2007. Its title was drawn from a Los Angeles Times column about Obama’s appeal to those who feel guilty about the nation’s history of mistreatment of African-Americans. Saltsman said the song, penned by long-time friend Paul Shanklin, should be easily recognized as satire directed at the Times.

The parody CD sent to RNC members this Christmas, first reported by The Hill Friday, is titled “We Hate the USA”, and includes songs referencing former presidential John Edwards and the Rev. Jeremiah Wright, among other targets.

Filed under: Barack Obama • Raw Politics
  1. steptoe

its just satire. not a big deal imo.

December 26, 2008 at 8:13 pm |
  2. Ratna, New York, NY

We have all forgotten about that controversial Obama magazine cover on the New Yorker. I don't understand or maybe I do. It seems like the press & media and now even artistic expression can't find the "proper" satire to address an African American President. Wow! Bad for satire business!

I have a solution for those satire moguls out there: GET A GRIP! YOU HAVE GOT AN AFRICAN-AMERICAN PRESIDENT ON YOUR HANDS THAT NEEDS A GOOD DOSE OF RESPECT FOR A CHANGE! GOT THAT!!!

It was much easier to recreate Bush political satire and that was splendid for business. We are going to miss that aren't we?

December 26, 2008 at 8:05 pm |
  3. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA

Clueless. These people are absolutely clueless (and stupid).

I'm not an angel, and I have no problem with others making fun of me when it's tongue-in-cheek, but there's a time, place, and format for everything. No doubt the intent was to be condescending, mean and nasty which qualifies it as inappropriate.

December 26, 2008 at 7:53 pm |
  4. Dennis

Guess you bleeding hearts missed the liberal L.A. Times article called "Obama the Magic Negro" that started all of this in the first place. I have to laugh at your inability to take what you constantly dish out. Happy Kwanza!

December 26, 2008 at 7:21 pm |
  5. Michelle

Colin Powell is right. The GOP just does not get it.

December 26, 2008 at 7:18 pm |
  6. Jay

This song is a parody of an article written in the LA Times using the term "magic negro". Why wasn't that mentioned in this article? Why don't you lefties go after the author of the article? Your selective outrage is a riot. Sad, but a riot.

December 26, 2008 at 7:18 pm |
  7. Stephen Morgan

Puff the magic dragon huh?? Well, it does fit the man. Obama is nothing but a marxist pipe dream.

December 26, 2008 at 7:14 pm |
  8. Kristen-University Park, PA

The RNC can continue to play ignorant all they want. They keep it up and we will see who wins the presidential election in 2012. The so called satire offends every person in this country who isn't rich and white. I went to "The Hill" website and saw the other songs on the cd. Why don't they come up with a song that pokes fun at them selves rather trying to get a few chuckles this holiday season at other peoples expense.

December 26, 2008 at 6:53 pm |
  9. W J Malone

The RNC nolonger stands for the Republican National Party.
    It now stands for Rotten Nasty Complainers. I am a republican that
    voted for Obama, not just because I think the nation needs him, but
    also because of the antiquated RNC. I was and always will be a McCain
    supporter, It was his support group that scares the hell out of me. I never see anything positive coming from the RNC are the diehard
    republican spinmasters. This went on thru the election and has
    continued since. It has become the party of fear and ignorance.
    This CD is just anouther example of the ingnorance, and soul of the
    RNC.
    Ps sorry can't spell, but atleast that is my cross to bear. not gormless
    ingnorance.

December 26, 2008 at 6:45 pm |
  10. Antoine P. Brunson

Well, It doesn't take long for true colors to come out. The racist jokes that were only shared in closed circles can now be widely publicized and called political satire. Look how much rednecks have evolved.

December 26, 2008 at 6:44 pm |
  11. Carol B., Virginia

Any chance the Dems will be penning a Palin version of "Turkey In the Straw?" Anyhow, this new RNC song will probably not be well received the way the "Bomb, bomb Iran" one wasn't either.

December 26, 2008 at 6:11 pm |
  12. Pat Tibbs

Guess you have to be a Republican to appreciate this sort of "political satire."

Glad I'm a Democrat who wouldn't be caught dead in a Republican event, mailing list, or precinct. Just call me Pat the Magic Progressive; you know, the kind who makes Republicans disappear with my vote.

December 26, 2008 at 5:27 pm |
  13. Karen, Mendocino,Ca

These are the people in charge of the economy??!! They are a party of 4 year olds!!

December 26, 2008 at 5:20 pm |
  14. Annie Kate

While it may have been intended as a joke it was in poor taste. How can we take the RNC seriously when they do things like this. They need to grow up.

December 26, 2008 at 5:11 pm |
  15. janets98

Once again the RNC shows its true colors. Not necessarily by the one who sent the CD, but by the RNC defending it as "satire". If they are going to win again, they're going to have to collectively get a clue. And they can start by condemning this CD's "satire".

December 26, 2008 at 4:55 pm |