November 28th, 2008

Mumbai witnesses text message reporter

Two of the hostages freed after police stormed the Oberoi Hotel in Mumbai.

Two of the hostages freed after police stormed the Oberoi Hotel in Mumbai.

Program note: See Sara Sidner's full report during special CNN coverage of the Mumbai attacks, tonight, 7-9p ET.

SARA SIDNER, CNN Correspondent: I'm just getting a text message from four Americans who have been inside this hotel from Chicago who we have been talking to throughout this 42 or 43-hour ordeal now. They have apparently been taken out. They have made it out and they are well.

The family is writing me, and they are very happy. And so, we should say that that group of four people who are calling and saying we're running out of water - sorry, they made it out and so the family is very happy.

CAROL COSTELLO, American Morning Contributor: Oh, you're so emotional about this. You've established a relationship with the family in Chicago then and have been texting them often, right?

SIDNER: Yes. Over the past few hours, I text them "are you OK," because I heard all of the loud bangs. As I was coming from my hotel, I had taken down for a few hours and was feeling quite guilty that I wasn't out here watching the situation. And when I got back, I got a text from one of their family members in Chicago saying we have gotten a text from them. They say they are out. They've been led out, and they are safe. Just a few moments ago, I got a text saying, "We are safe."

Read more about how Sara Sidner stayed in contact with the Mackoff family while they were trapped in the Taj Mahal hotel for 48 hours during the Mumbai attacks.

Filed under: India Attacked • Sara Sidner • Terrorism
  1. K

What does VCRSA mean pictured on one of the terrorists T-shirts ?

November 29, 2008 at 8:55 pm |
  2. mh

Sara is the Buzzz here in ATL. There was talk last night about giving her a reg on spot on CNN//US. She is one of CNN's up and coming stars!
    Professional, Courageous, Diligent, Steadfast........

Hey Sara.....How about "The STEEL REORT" with Sara Sidner? I kicked that out there last night to some CNN people. Keep up the good work.

BTW- Wolf called you "Courageous" on air and Larry King paid you a similar compliment. You are now officially on the radar!!

November 29, 2008 at 10:49 am |
  3. Martina Ilstad Germany

Hey Sara
    I am sorry,to forget your camera man,to thank him for his and of course your bravery.Good reacting in a difficalt and for me danger situation,All your team Nick,Mattew, Andrew,Phil thank for your realy good job.

November 29, 2008 at 5:12 am |
  4. Peace

What security changes will be made in India ? Why were so many allowed to get so close to the situation and Sara called attention to that today. Glad you're alive to cover the story and that was dangerous !

November 29, 2008 at 12:53 am |
  5. John Sternal

I don't understand how this family got the reporter's cell phone number to begin texting?????

November 28, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  6. Megan Dresslar, (Shoreline, Wa)

Sara,
    Nice job!!! I know you are so busy reporting from Mumbai india.... I hope you will be safe where are standing tell the viewers in the world. Please tell Matthew Chance, Andrew Stevens and crew get safe to hide and keep away from terrorism............ Please take care yourself....... Thanks for sharing me your posted. please keep me posted...... Thank you.....

November 28, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  7. Dorie

Sara, you and your team have totally rocked during this horrible event. Thank you for giving all you've got to stay with the story. I am amazed at how well composed and clear you've stayed through every new report.

November 28, 2008 at 9:57 pm |
  8. Rob Welham

Well done on you reporting in difficult conditions. What with explosions and being hassled by drunken mobs. It's unfortunate CNN have seemingly been banned from broadcasting Live TV pictures from Mumbai. What's the authrorities reasoning behind the decision? Keep up the good work. My regards to Matthew Chance, Andrew Stevens and producer Phil O'Sullivan who've all helped in the reporting, and to your camera op who got knocked over in the melee. Hope both you and he are OK

November 28, 2008 at 8:15 pm |
  9. Louise

Sara you have done a fantastic job reporting on what has been going on in Mumbai. Your bravery is commendable. Thank you

November 28, 2008 at 7:25 pm |
  10. Martina Ilstad Germany

Hey Sara
    All my respect,you did and do a verry good job!
    Thank jou for telling the truth,and try to gave everybody a chance to tell his story.

November 28, 2008 at 6:13 pm |