November 19th, 2008

al Qaeda: Kinship with the Klan?

Gary Tuchman | BIO
AC360° Correspondent

Ever since I began reporting from Ground Zero on September 11th, 2001, I have never wavered in my conviction that the merry band of Al Qaeda terrorists are among the most cowardly human beings on earth. You have sunk as low as you can go when you kill innocent human beings and claim there is justification for it. That goes for the terrorists who flew on the planes, and the terrorists who ordered them to do so. And that brings me to Ayman Al-Zawahiri.

The number two Al Qaeda leader is at the very least tied for number one in cowardice, and his latest action is symbolic of his style. Today, he came out with his first post American election statement in which he uses an extremely disparaging racial term to describe Barack Obama. What's notable are the similarities between Al-Zawahiri's methods and America's own Ku Klux Klan. For generations, Klan members have used the cloak of their hoods to hide their identities as they spewed their hatred.

And now, Al-Zawahiri is echoing some of the Klan's own racist sentiment and doing it with his own cloak; an audiotape, which is used because he and his minions are way too afraid to give away clues about their lairs. Haters come in different packages, but they share the characteristic of diabolical rationalization, and utter lack of courage.

Filed under: al Qaeda • Barack Obama • Gary Tuchman • Global 360° • Raw Politics • War on Terror
  1. Mark

The "house Negro" quote came from Malcolm X's early militant days. Consdering how much his views had expanded in later years, I'm sure he would be horrified to see these words now used as a weapon against the first black President.

November 19, 2008 at 5:07 pm |
  2. Jack Raiden - D.C.

Gary I agree whole heartedly. they are cowards without honor or respect. Any one of them would flee from a true battle. On another note I would like to add. (in direction to terrorists) Don't you ever disrespect our president. You terrorists know nothing of true leadership, or how to create or sustain a great nation... Obama, I got your back brother. from one american patriot to another. Lets drop these terrorist fools like a bag of concrete.

November 19, 2008 at 4:37 pm |
  3. Heather,ca

Im with you Gary,but I will go a step further. I refuse to give human qualities to monsters. They have no regard for human life or fundamental human rights. They are monsters. They are a cancer to a civilized society. Coward is the kind of word used for someone who functions and works on a different level of intelligence.

November 19, 2008 at 4:07 pm |
  4. Twan

Ayman al-Zawahiri is a not Smart man by calling Barack Obama a " House Negro". He just marginalized support for Al-Qaida which is good. Zawahiri just played the race card ,like was played in this year's Presidantal campaign. And as we see Barack Obama won.

As President Barack has a great oppurtunity to make terrorist networks less effective. While his popularity is extremely high, He should call Global Summitt to erase Terrorism and close Gitmo at the same time.

November 19, 2008 at 2:48 pm |
  5. Alex (Aliso Viejo, Ca)

Kinship with the klan??? I am not too sure. What I am certain about is that terrorists would play more on someone's weaknesses to influence/ manipulate people to pressure them to emotional, irrational and haste decisions. Pres-Elect Obama being of half African descent is what Al-qaeda is trying desperately to use as a tool to play on his ego and get under his skin. I think Al-Qaeda knows that once Iraq war comes close to an end and USA turns their sights to Afghanistan, it will be harder for them to mobilize much less survive. Pres. Bush, over-stretched military power and weakened economy is the best agar for Al-qaeda's survival. They know it is ending soon. Party is over because America is wisening up. I think it is about time we take our war to those who wronged us in 9/11.

November 19, 2008 at 1:53 pm |
  6. Terrell

It's a shame that some people do not want change and continue to spreed hatred around the world. What does Al-Zawahiri want because if he looking to take over the world, that is something that could never happen.

November 19, 2008 at 1:39 pm |
  7. earle,florida

Boy, I'd hate to say it, but these characters seem to have brought down the american capitalist system, single-handedly in just six +/-years? The KKK will always be with us, and so will terrorist, but the capitalist system as we have known it to be has morphed into the hands of just a few, which is scarier than any of these fringe hate groups.....

November 19, 2008 at 1:29 pm |
  8. Mary V., Salt Lake City, UT

Once again, I agree with "Cindy....GA" ... well said. The KKK and Al-Qaeda are the same...... hateful. Evil.

Yes, I have heard as Melissa(Los Angeles) states that Bin Laden has either died or been killed. I heard this on the Chris Matthews Show "Hardball". Apparently, even our CIA & FBI suspect this. Bin Laden was ill with liver disease, so maybe he is truly in hell right now!

November 19, 2008 at 1:12 pm |
  9. Cindy

Gary,
    I saw the derogatory statement this morning that Al-Zawahiri used in talking about Obama. And yes it does wreak of something that the nuts in the KKK would say. In my opinion both groups are about the same. They'll do anything or say anything to get their agenda across. And they both think that they are the superior ones and everyone else is beneath them.

And you know if it suited them well and they could get ahead any that they'd probably work together if they could. That's what worries me about the net. They can get on and talk to others around the world and recruit more to their ridiculous ideologies. And you never know they could just hook up to help one another further their cause.

Cindy...Ga.

November 19, 2008 at 1:06 pm |
  10. Twila Duffin

I agree with Gary this man is hate in its purest form. Why doesn't he come out of hiding and say those words. As a black american I am proud of President Elect Obama and as a American I am proud of Barack and what he has accepted to do. I stand behind our flag "YES WE CAN'.

November 19, 2008 at 12:58 pm |
  11. Melissa, Los Angeles

I find it interesting that mainstream media has not addressed Benazir Bhutto's claims that Bin Laden has been killed. I heard it on talk radio and the discussion that since her claim – there has been no videos made with him – especially right before and after the elections like he had made during the Bush/Kerry election.

Why now is only Al-Zawahiri the spokeshole for Al Queda and not Bin Laden?

November 19, 2008 at 12:43 pm |
  12. Alex

Gary,
    After all that, both groups sound like they are in such great pain. As such, we should consider trying the humanistic approach by putting them out of their misery.

November 19, 2008 at 12:42 pm |