November 14th, 2008

Morning Buzz: Grandma the Clown

Penny Manis
AC360 Senior Producer

Hello again, Hillary!

Hillary Rodham Clinton is in the news this morning over buzz that she is being considered as Secretary of State.

Senator Clinton and Barack Obama did meet yesterday late afternoon according to our sources who say the meeting was at the behest of Obama. Apaprently, Clinton went because “she knew Obama wanted to talk about whether she would have a role in the administration." However, there is no word if they discussed this role specifically. Have we figured out if these 2 definitely like each other yet? But I digress.

HRC was asked this past Monday if she would consider a post in the Obama Administration to which she replied: “I am happy being a Senator from NY, I love this state and this city. I am looking at the long list of things I have to catch up on and do. But I want to be a good partner and I want to do everything I can to make sure his agenda is going to be successful." A coy reply that leaves the door open to potentially accepting a Cabinet position, perhaps?

Other names on The Shortlist for Sec of State bandied about are Bill Richardson and John Kerry. Who do you think would make the best candidate?

President-Elect Obama spends another day behind closed doors. He isn’t making it very easy for us to spy and report on his Administration plans, ahem. One Obama transition official does say we should expect ‘some news’ on WH staff announcements today, though still no cabinet announcements. Candy Crowley will have the latest tonight.

Grandma the Clown rings the opening bell on Wall Street today. Why, you ask? To commemorate the 31st Anniversary of the Big Apple Circus. I have a list of jokes about a clown kicking off our market session today, but I’ll hold back. (fill in the blank yourself in the comment section!)

The markets have acted like a boomerang all week-overnight Asian and European markets were up, we’ll see what happens on our side of the pond today. Ali Velshi can’t think of a better way to spend his Friday night than with the AC360 team. Tonight he'll give us the latest economic headlines.

We’ll also tell you about The President’s summit on the financial markets. World leaders gather at the WH, and after an evening greeting by Prez Bush, (not to mention what is sure to be a scrumptious dinner) tomorrow they roll up their sleeves and put their heads together to figure out the best corrective action for the markets and financial systems.

The deadlock over the bailout of the auto industry continues. Now Sen. Dodd admits he doesn’t think the Dems have the votes to push this bailout through for the Big 3. Republicans have thus far blocked this move, arguing that it opens the door to every ailing industry begging for a piece of the bailout pie. Do you think auto makers should be given a cash injection?

Randi Kaye continues our Most Wanted: Culprits of the Collapse series-she gets to the bottom of who is to blame for the auto industry mess-the second portion of the 3-parter we have planned on this subject.’

Well that’s a mouthful already. See you tonight! TGIF.

Filed under: The Buzz
  1. Johnny Bee

I say let the big auto companies file Chapter 11 but not sell the company to foreign company, there are far too many companies in this country owned by someone outside the U.S. I also say no bailout. These big companies need to do like small businesses do, if expenses get too high cut the pay of all top management AND do away with the union.

November 17, 2008 at 5:46 am |
  2. stradafee

I think Hillary would be the one that can make some changes!

November 16, 2008 at 7:17 am |
  3. J.V.Hodgson

Let the man and his advisors make the decisions. I am personally fed up with your guessing games in the media, and even more fed up with your unnamed sources, who clearly have no authority to make the decision anyway. More to the point this is a fundamental problem of American media and politics. There are times when secrets are essential and this is one of them. You will hear and know as and when BHO makes the announcement. Then you can have a field day when he chooses wrong in your opinion.
    My dear old mum always taught me patience was a virtue and you have none, and the morals of the unnamed sources would lose thier jobs if I ever found out who they were. For gods sake this is not news it is rumour and gossip!!
    Regards,
    Hodgson.

November 16, 2008 at 12:39 am |
  4. Dave from Detroit

Isn't it interesting that World Leaders from other Nations called a financial Summit that earnestly desires an overseer of U.S. Banks while President Bush keeps talking about a "Free" Market. Dinner or no dinner, other Countries that are invested in our Country do not want a repeat of our Financial Meltdown and neither does the U.S.!
    Hillary Clinton is an excellent choice for Secretary of State. Been there, know what's going on and not one to pull punches or need to intimidate to get things done!
    As far as Obama making it hard for the Press-you have taught him well and he is a fast learner!

November 15, 2008 at 8:58 pm |
  5. Katte from Arkansas

I truly believe that Hillary would make an excellent Sec of State. She is extremely intelligent, is aware of the need for appropriate conversations and debates/ oratories on world affairs. She does have a 'unifying' style. I think this would be her most excellent and prestigious appointment. As a quasi GOP member, I totally back Hillary for this position, and hope it 'pans out'.

November 14, 2008 at 6:37 pm |
  6. Joy, Fort Gordon, Georgia

I know for those Senators and Congressman who do not represent states and districts that rely on the auto industry for economic survival there is an uproar and they are planning to vote against a bailout of the auto industry. I mean yes the auto industry brought it on themselves by refusing to modernize, but unfortunately the failure of the auto industry is and will have a dominate impact on the economy. Listen to those who represent the states and districts that will be affected, listen to those whose survival depends upon the jobs offered by the auto industry. Do we have another back up plan for the millions of average Americans who will be jobless and then homeless and are we willing to just hand the auto industry over or are we going to rework things and once again become the brains behind automobile inovations and technology. I say okay bail them out but it is time we made strict guidelines and enforced them.

November 14, 2008 at 5:34 pm |
  7. Mokele Mbembe

I like Richardson. I imagine Hillary taking a post closer to the issues of health and education, whether national or just in NY.

November 14, 2008 at 3:55 pm |
  8. David, Indiana

It's all so mellow today, hard to believe but it feels better. What about a 3 p.m. phone call, Could Hillary Clinton handle one of those? Probably, seems like she can do anything. If I were Obama, I couldn't be president without her. Obama needs her as a partner whether she's Secretary of State, moving healthcare package through congress, or leading in the senate.

November 14, 2008 at 3:26 pm |
  9. Gisselle - Houston, Texas

Did I mention Bill Richardson???

November 14, 2008 at 1:59 pm |
  10. Michelle

I am hoping for Bill Richardson to be Sec of State.
    This does not strike me as legit. Maybe the gov
    could give the automakers loans and move American
    carmakers into the future with a green economy.

November 14, 2008 at 1:23 pm |
  11. Rachael Marie, Chicago IL

Although I was unsure about her presidential candidacy, I truly believe that Hilary is one of the most intelligent and tenacious politicians in America today. I think she would be an excellent addition to Obama's cabinet.

November 14, 2008 at 12:40 pm |
  12. Melissa, Los Angeles

I've been hearing on talk radio that the union is creating a lot of problems for the Big 3. Toyota is able to pay their workers $48/hr while the Big 3 are spending $75/hr. There needs to be a overhaul from management on down to the union to fix this problem. Leave the taxpayers out of it.

November 14, 2008 at 12:17 pm |
  13. Jan from Wood Dale IL

Are these the same Obama insiders who let leak that Hillary was on Obama's short list for VP and mocked her trip to Bosnia? Even though Obama needs someone capable to take those 3 a.m. phone calls for him, I think Senator Clinton would prefer to stay true to getting universal health insurance and other socio-economic policies passed since these have been causes she has committed herself to for a very long time.

Ever since Paulson and Congress pushed to get the bailout package passed, to date they still do NOT have any oversight in how the monies are used. Why isn't Senator Dodd complaining about the lack of oversight, rather than the lack of Republican support for an additional bailout for the auto manufacturers?

November 14, 2008 at 12:00 pm |
  14. Bev

I have thought all along that Hillary would be a great Secretary of State (although I would have rather seen her as President). She is one tough cookie and would handle the job admirably.

Appropriate that a clown is ringing the bell on Wall Street!

Don't bail out the automakers. They got themselves into this mess, they can get themselves out by cutting all the dead weight in their white collar departments. Look what's happened after bailing out the banks – they're sitting on the money, which they weren't supposed to do, their CEOs, et al are partying on the money, and nothing is going to the little guy/gal.

John Kerry would be a good Defense Secretary. He wouldn't help to get us into unnecessary wars.

Bev, Tn Tonawanda, NY

November 14, 2008 at 11:13 am |
  15. Michelle D. Fonthill,Ontario

Good Morning Anderson and staff
    I think Hillary would be a great chief of staff she would be a great asset to the team . This is the best way to help Obama bring help to the failing economy with her fvast expoirence and connections it would serve ther adnminstartion proudly. The cupprits of the collapse continues good for AC ! keeping them honest !
    Thanks for the buzz
    see you at 10 regular time tonight yeah!!!!
    Michelle D.

November 14, 2008 at 9:48 am |
  16. Annie Kate

How many millions of jobs did they say would be cut if the auto industry folded? I don't see how anyone could vote against helping the industry; the consequences are too dire. Of course, if the Congress wants a 1930s style Depression on their watch they are sure heading the right way but I bet their tenure in office will be very short if that is the case.

Annie Kate
    Birmingham AL

November 14, 2008 at 9:34 am |
  17. Joanne, Syracuse, NY

It is amazing to me that the government would even consider bailing out the automakers. They made their mess and deserve to reorganize through bankruptcy. They do indeed pay some line workers over $75/hr. This is crazy. People need reliable, energy efficient, affordable and environmentally friendly automobiles. Since they failed now and they failed in the past to see past the windshield of the money making SUVs let them solve it themselves without our taxpayer money.

As far as the flip flopping...(What pres. said that?)...what do you expect, no one has a crystal ball. We do know that bailout means lining the pockets of CEOs who have failed.

November 14, 2008 at 9:33 am |
  18. Cindy

Oh I am very sure if Obama offered Hillary the Secretary of State position that she would gladly accept it. It would give her a stand out position in the world and help her 2012 chances to run for pres! And actually seeing who the others are that he is looking at I think Hillary would be WAY better than them!

And what is going on with this bailing out the automakers thing!? First they say we have to and now they are saying that they don't think they'll do it. OK...do any of them know exactly what the heck they are doing or is this country really flying blind in this turmoil that we are in!? Honestly from the way it looks I don't think they have a clue. It looks like they are just throwing stuff at the problem and hoping that something sticks and fixes it.

As for Grandma the Clown ringing the opening bell on Wall Street...well she should fit right in! I mean they do run a three ring circus there and in congress!

Cindy...Ga.