AC360 Monday 8p

There are growing questions about the ferry crew's actions. The latest on the South Korean ferry disaster live on AC360.
November 7th, 2008

The move of a lifetime!

Program note: As the new First Family prepares to move to the White House, we look at how their social life will change. Watch Randi Kaye's report tonight 10p ET

Randi Kaye | Bio
AC360° Correspondent

Think back to when you last moved.

How long did it take you to find your new favorite restaurant or decide where to work out, or get your hair done? Well, very soon, President-Elect Barack Obama and his family are going to have to figure all that stuff out.

I am spending the day in Washington D.C. and the city is absolutely buzzing about the First Family moving to town. This impending move is all my cab driver wanted to talk about!

I interviewed Washington Post columnist Sally Quinn for my story tonight on AC360. She expects the Obamas will bring a new vibe to D.C. She says there has been almost zero contact with the Bush’s the last 8 years and believes the Obamas, who are younger and have young children, will bring new energy to the city and move about town more.

Where will they go? They may favor informal restaurants. Some have suggested Cactus Cantina, a family-oriented Mexican restaurant. For ladies’ lunches, Michelle Obama may head to the Jockey Club, which re-opens this weekend, and where Jackie Kennedy used to frequent.

Those who pay attention to the DC political social scene seem to agree the Obamas aren’t going to be out on the town ALL of the time. After all, Michelle Obama has said motherhood comes first and will likely want to stay home and help her girls with homework and tuck them into bed early on most nights.

One thing we may see more of: State Dinners at the White House. Apparently, George and Laura Bush did not like to entertain very much and only held 13 dinners in 8 years. Given Obama’s reception around the world, Quinn says, he may be more eager to reach out to other countries and wine and dine other Global Leaders.

The “First Daughters” will likely end up at private school, since they attend private school in Chicago currently. Many here suggest Sasha and Malia Obama may go to Sidwell Friends, the same private school Chelsea Clinton attended.

Lots of buzz here about where soon-to-be-President Obama will shoot hoops. My cabbie told me he doesn’t think the half court in the White House will be enough for the “new Prez” as he put it.

No worries. I’m told players from the Washington Wizards, the professional basketball team, are hungry to take him on!

Where would you suggest the Obamas enjoy romantic dinners ? What tone do you think the new First Family will set here? Will this be a return to Camelot?

Watch 360 tonight to get all this gossip and more!

Filed under: Barack Obama • Randi Kaye • Raw Politics
  1. Ron Van Der Maarel

Hard for me to say anything here as I totally agree with all of the comments. The next 4 years are going to be interesting and exciting!
    One caution though. Let's not expect PRESIDENT OBAMA, of which I have high hopes, to try and solve our many problems overnight! I am anxiously awaiting for PRESIDENT OBAMA to invite leaders, good & bad, to our country, for dinners & talks, as I have complete confidence that given the time, PRESIDENT OBAMA, will make our world a safer, better place!!

November 9, 2008 at 9:54 am |
  2. Don, WA

I've been to D.C. once...in the Spring...they have a lot of cherry blossoms along the streets and walkways there. And when I was there, there were a lot of cool things to do for free. I remember the "Smithsonian Museum" was free, among other great sights...I think. Maybe not anymore...the first time I went to the hawaiian island of Oahu the zoo was free...but last time I went it was six bucks...I think. But I'm sure the Obama's will have fun there in the capitol...The "Lincoln Memorial" is there...so Barack can throw his thoughts out when he needs to....that's priceless.

November 9, 2008 at 12:11 am |
  3. Stan u

Yes... He made it. I saw the results of election night Obama Won.But reality will really sink in for me the day he and his family move into white house.Who knew the day would come so soon.America we overcame.

November 8, 2008 at 10:57 pm |
  4. jabudaddy

i think President-elect Obama should go to VA and get one of the pitbull that was in the Michael Vick case.

November 8, 2008 at 2:46 pm |
  5. Donna

I am suggesting a Golden Doodle for the Obama family, they make wonderful pets and love everyone & are hyperallergenic and don't shed.

November 8, 2008 at 1:56 am |
  6. dcgirl1975

I hope I bump into them. Those little girls are cute !

November 7, 2008 at 3:20 pm |
  7. Mary Little

We love L'Etoile, on Pennsylvania Ave across from the Reagan center. Great food, prices not out of sight (by DC standards anyway)...

November 7, 2008 at 2:52 pm |
  8. Jackie in Dallas

I think, under the circumstances, that President and First Lady Obama will probably be quite conservative about their social lives. We are in a recession/depression, after all, and it won't do to look as if they are throwing money around on frivolity.

On the other hand, the State Dinners, and things like the Easter Egg Roll, Rose Garden activities, etc. which help build bridges with allies, and maintain relationships with the populace will be a high priority. Bush seemed to do all his entertaining in Crawford, obviously uncomfortable with dealing socially in Washington society or actually entertaining foreign visitors. It was part of his exclusive, reclusive, and out of touch image.

November 7, 2008 at 2:42 pm |
  9. Missy

I hope Obama takes some well deserved time off before he is sworn. He will and does need it.

November 7, 2008 at 2:20 pm |
  10. chuck

Not only will he change the White House but his love for humanity will bring massive changes around the world.I think a new MOVEMENT has just started around the world and we will see massive gatherings where ever Barack and his family go.The world cannot wait for January 20,2009 and I am convince that America has picked a leader that will bring PEACE throughout this global world. Barack Obama is the TRUE SYMBOL OF CHANGE,HOPE,PEACE AND PROSPERTY that America and the world needs and from the bottom of my heart I say HE WILL DELIVER.

November 7, 2008 at 1:25 pm |
  11. Heather,ca

It will be nice to see young children again in Americas House. You know the White House is managed by like a business. Those people have been there a long time. The President and his family live there for four years eight if they are lucky. The staff which is huge and behind the scenes, are there full time.I know Mrs Obama wants things to be a certain way, but all First ladies eventually find out that they too have a role beyond wife and mother. They are the First Lady of our country and the wife of the leader of the free world. Just as Jacki found her place and transformed the White House and those that followed, Mrs Obama will find something meaningful of importance second of course to that of mom. She is beautiful,talented and intelligent. They will all be living in a living museum and be making history everyday.I just hope the puppy keeps his paws and claws off the antiques,I guess reporters are ok.

November 7, 2008 at 12:56 pm |
  12. Shirley McIntyre

I know the Obama Family will bring new life to our Whitehouse. I am looking forward to seeing it the way it used to be. Happy, and full of life and love.
    I think he will be one of our great Presidents and Mrs. Obama will be a great First Lady.
    The Country choose wise.