AC360 Thursday 8p

There are growing questions about the Bluefin-21 search for Flight 370. What's happens when it completes its sweep? The latest tonight on AC360.
November 4th, 2008

Celebrating crowd precedes Obama to the White House

Elaine Quijano
CNN White House Correspondent

Hundreds of people – mostly college students - have gathered on Pennsylvania Avenue in front of the White House shouting “Obama, Obama!” and “Yes we can, yes we can!”

It's a loud, but peaceful gathering so far. Overheard Secret Service uniformed officers saying they’ve never seen anything like this.

Filed under: Barack Obama • Elaine Quijano • Raw Politics
  1. Sharon Kitchen

Election night was great !!!! I feel like those that stood in front of the Whitehouse. Wow !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Next ..................the oath of office.
    What a time it is in America.
    Hope.........."yes,we can."

November 5, 2008 at 1:32 pm |
  2. Joy, Fort Gordon, Georgia

It is time that we had someone to bring the youth out in a positive and productive manner, this is their nation and their world as well and they should take part and grab the reigns. Now we just have to hope they keep paying attention and take an active role in pushing forth change.

November 5, 2008 at 9:52 am |
  3. Anika

YES WE DID!!!!!! Barack Obama is our President!

Change has come, change is here today! Out with the old and in with the "new" generation. Make room because here we come.

Last night was beautiful. I can't believe that I was a part of history. That I actually got to see it with my own eyes and don't have to read about it or be told about it. I experienced it. I got up early yesterday, voted, and waited for the nation to unite in unity and it happened.

The display at the White House said enough about how the American people feel about who ran our country for the last 8 years. If he didn't "get it" for those 8 years, I am sure he "got it" last night. All he had to do was look out of his window.

YES WE CAN! YES WE DID!!!! – Barack Obama baby!

November 5, 2008 at 8:31 am |
  4. Cesar Dimal

Those who innocently celebrated in front of the White House; surely put this historic event into jeopardy. Just imagine if a psycopath threw an explosive to the crowed and the White House. This could have been a bloody tuesday to remember! I was horrified to think it could happened.

November 5, 2008 at 5:26 am |
  5. mary a

i love the crowd. i told my father it was like the crowd was sending a message to the republicans and bush. it was an early get out the office we're so happy our canidate beat yours display. go youth!!!!! i'm sooooo going to the inaguration.

November 5, 2008 at 3:39 am |
  6. Nyambura Thiongo

Tonight after the amazing dare I say life changing results of the presidential election I went down to the White House to celebrate with what had to be hundreds of college students from Georgetown University and George Washington University as well as many Washingtonians of all ages, –I met baby Bama’s—races, and religions. A random lady even gave me a hug as I was leaving at 1:30 in the morning while MANY were still flooding the streets.
    In front of the White House people were chanting “O-BAMA!’, “Yes WE Can”, “Yes We DID”, and “Move Bush! Get out the Way… Get out the way Bush get out the way”. The energy of the crowd, chants, and random outburst of howls and high pitched screams that were frighteningly contagious were all indicative of the feelings of the moment. Gathered there with my fellow Americans in the wee hours of the morning, literally hours before the dawning of a new day there was an indisputable sense of excitement, enthusiasm, hope and accomplishment. The combination of these emotions created an equation that equaled something greater than anyone had expected: Power. President elect Barack Obama reminded many Americans that they have the power when united to control the White House and as a result the nation. In light of this realization I started a new chant: “ Who’s House?.... OBAMA’S HOUSE”. As I listened to the chorus of voices that joined me I made a point to remember that in America the whole is greater than the sum of its individual parts, and more importantly will always be greater than the obstacles that stand in the way of its collective dream and shared ideals. In the face all the uncertainties that lie ahead it is this belief that gives me and many others the confidence to not only embrace the new day but understand that the coming of the new day, ending of the old and the very nature of the day are all things we have direct control over.

November 5, 2008 at 3:37 am |
  7. Don, WA

None of us have seen anything like this....an evolution of mankind. You know the old saying..."when things are at their worst...people are at their best."

November 5, 2008 at 1:54 am |
  8. Gloria Anderson

Those of us who voted for Barrack Obama are filled with hope and a quiet joy knowing that America can and will live up to her ideals once again. Our voices were heard that America has stumbled and needs to change our goals and values for the future so we can again become an united and respected country in the world. We are a nation who must adhere to our constitution ~ that all men are created equal and have all branches of government work together.

November 5, 2008 at 1:41 am |
  9. Liz

The shots outside of the White House were AMAZING!

My friends and I sat in their living room and watched Obamas' speech and couldn't help but tear-up at his words. I thought I was too cynical to have that kind of reaction, but honestly it felt as if a weight had been lifted off my chest. It has been a very long eight years.

The nation has many issues we have to deal with, but I believe we finally have a leader who can LEAD, Mr. Obama – don't disappoint us!

November 5, 2008 at 1:28 am |
  10. CD

Before everyone bows down and worships the guy you might want to wait and see if he does anything just like his democratic party that would rather take recess than get anything done or would rather hold hearings on steriods or why the baseball package is only on directv instead of dealing with the real problems at hand! You guys sound like he’s the answer to all your prayers and yet he’s human might want to think about that first! Remember what your saying and what he has you chanting "Yes We Can" that means you not him, you as in a collective group and we'll see how fast this changes when you realize you have to do the work!

November 5, 2008 at 1:22 am |
  11. alec_windsor,ont.canada

i thought Muhhamad Ali, Michael Jordan, Tiger Woods even Martin Luther King are the greatest people to ever remember in American soil but this is bigger, or biggest that ever happened in USA.

i think this will be the 2nd biggest thing ever happen in the world as i've ever known for a change & the world will accept it. i know that what happen in the October 16th of 1978 which is the first one i reffered earlier will be repeated some part of the world. it happened in the 16th of October, 1978 in Vatican City where they chose unanimously a different Pope and that is John Paul II.

deep in my heart Barrack Obama will change or rather already start changing. history is not begging for change right now but start to see it differently & Americans just did it.

November 5, 2008 at 12:44 am |
  12. Michael Henningsen

It just occurred to me that Barack Obama was born on August 4, 1961, almost 9 months to the day after John F. Kennedy was elected president on November 8, 1960. Perhaps President-Elect Obama's parents were inspired by something one night in November, 1960.

November 5, 2008 at 12:40 am |
  13. ahmad rashid

i'm afghan canadian, i born in war and grew up in war. i didn't believe in real democracy today i believe in real democracy and i know democracy doesn't have just on colour.i thank the great people of united state of america that they show the world they are united as we all witnessed today you guys made history. God bless you all.
    peace 4 all.

thanks
    ahmad rashid

November 5, 2008 at 12:10 am |
  14. John Appelbee

George Bush could go a long way to repairing his awful approval rating and his standing in history by declaring by executive order Wed Nov 5 a public holiday in recognition of the unbelievable accomplishment that has been acheived by Barack Obama and what an incredibly historic milestone this is to this country and the world.

John Appelbee

November 5, 2008 at 12:07 am |
  15. Matthew

If im Dreaming please don't wake. Now change will finally come. THANK YOU AMERICA

November 5, 2008 at 12:07 am |
  16. SaReena Freeman

Now Lets Make The Differance!
    Obama is here!
    He may be black
    But he still represents
    each and everyone of
    us who are willing to
    strive to over come the
    odds which are set against
    us....color race spirituality
    sex gender it should no
    matter we are well represented
    no matter if you are a republican
    you are still an american should
    be proud.
    Stop all the hate crimes
    we no longer work in fields sing
    spiritual to devise a plan its over
    change has come and its time
    to get to know it.
    Send your
    prayers out to both candidates.

Remember that nothing is
    impossible nor difficult......

November 5, 2008 at 12:05 am |
  17. jim

That is unfortunate the American people have to endure 4 years with Obama as president. First he will not fulfill his promises to the American people. We will go back to the Jimmy Carter Administration which we will have inflation, high mortgage rates and high unemployment. On the positive side, he will be gone in 4 years.

November 5, 2008 at 12:00 am |
  18. matt landreth

all things are possible obama like voter fraud . he needs to be investigated and prosicuted as does his sister company akorn .

November 5, 2008 at 12:00 am |
  19. Latoya

I am so excited about the outcome of this election. I can see that a change is soon to come. People are looking forward to this country to suceed, and not fail. The United States of America made an excellent choice. I just hope that the people out there that are unhappy with the results put this lost behind him, and help Barack Obama change this world. This is change we need. Barriers are needed to be broken. This country is so divided that it is time for us to come together and stand for something. Despite color, gender, or sexuality we are still human, and most of all we have to live inthis world together.

Latoya

November 4, 2008 at 11:58 pm |
  20. matt landreth

congrats monorns , you elected a socalist with ties to every thing true americans dispise. Hate mongrals /racist anti white pastures/terrorists.Hope you enjoy it let the democrat pupet take control and really f up this country .You think we had it bad before you got some bad days ahead .we got scammed by obama ,the media,akorn.we need a actual vote that was not influenced by the voter fraud of akorn and the uneducated black ,white ,latino population that they targeted .

November 4, 2008 at 11:58 pm |
  21. Damyan Petkov

This is definitely a historic moment world wide, and it is understandable that young people are excited about Obama becoming the new president. This is a perfect example how young people can make a difference and bring change. Now is the time to, capture the present and focus on the future.

Toronto, ON

November 4, 2008 at 11:57 pm |
  22. Jaime Mesa, AZ

YaHOOO I m so excited, I wish I could go scam in front of the white house.This world is changeable...what an amazing night, I can not wait until Obama speaks, McCain did give a very gracious speech. This night is truly transformational for our country. It is bringing our nation together with a common purpose. Just walking down the street everyone here in NYC is smiling at each other, black,white,hispanic,etc etc. I hope everyone else is as gracious a loser as their candidate. President -elect Obama. YEAH I am going to tell my daughter why this is wonderful.

November 4, 2008 at 11:57 pm |
  23. Erica

As a white American who voted for Obama I am appalled at the continuous references made by CNN contributors that are polarizing the nation between black and white......"a victory for African Americans".....this is exactly the kind of of talk that divides the country . Barack Obama's victory is a victory for all of America.....shame on you for perpetuating the divide!!!!!

November 4, 2008 at 11:56 pm |
  24. Theresa Sutton, Fayetteville NC

Wow. I just contributed to history. It feels pretty darn good.

November 4, 2008 at 11:56 pm |
  25. Luis

Tonight is a great night; a historical night! Let's celebrate proudly and please do not try to ruin it. Americans voted for change. The candidate of change just happens to be African-American. President Elect Obama will be a great President, not a great black President. Let's stop the silliness of placing labels on people. These labels only cause further divisions in our lives.

Luis (Los Angeles)

November 4, 2008 at 11:56 pm |
  26. Matt (Kansas)

I believe we are seeing the opening of a new era. Things are changing and young people have the voice to support it.

November 4, 2008 at 11:55 pm |
  27. Stacey Walker

This is amazing, when I was in the second grade in 1979, my teacher asked us to give a profile of a President, she told us that you had to be white, rich and a man. The possible outcomes of this election season has broken those standards

November 4, 2008 at 11:54 pm |
  28. Patricia

Anderson
    The majority of Canadians are celebrating Obama's win and look for a new day in American politics. We've been worried about our good neighbour to the south for a long time. Well done!

November 4, 2008 at 11:52 pm |
  29. J.R. Rao

TO THE BEST POLITICAL TEAM ON TELEVISION:

Can you folks please realize that this is not a historic moment just for African Americans but also for all Americans and also for immigrants like me who are inspired to see a reaffirmation of the American dream?

Thanks.

-JR Rao

November 4, 2008 at 11:51 pm |
  30. Asaad Altaai

Hi Anderson,
    I have a question, where is our current president Mr. Bush. He has been missing in action. Is he even around the White House these days.

November 4, 2008 at 11:51 pm |
  31. EJ (USA)

What a great day. There aren't enough words to describe it.

November 4, 2008 at 11:50 pm |